Preview R24 | Sydney vs Adelaide | SCG - Sat 24/8 @ 7:40PM AEST | We need to prove a point (unlike last year)

In honour of our guests, what are the Crows best performances against us in recent years?

• 2024 at home ā€“ Graciously hosting the biggest Amartey Party yet

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2016 Semi Final ā€“ Giving up a 7 goal opening quarter to... us

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 2012 Qualifying Final ā€“ Kicking 5.12 in a 29 point loss

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • 2012 ā€“ Keeping the Tippett contract so quiet they almost got something for him

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • 2013 at home ā€“ Kicking as many goals as Jesse White into the 3rd

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2017 at home ā€“ Nailbiting loss and Talia's chase on Buddy

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • 2020 at home ā€“ Tex missing with 30 seconds left, in front of a usual 4th quarter Adelaide crowd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 at home ā€“ Failing to defend a crucial late kick-in, allowing the game to be iced

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll probably play GWS in week one.
And no guarantee.
Limp into the finals as usual.

Not sure we've ever 'limped' into finals from top spot?

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

What if they cop a 2+ week injury in the first final instead?
Atleast then it's all chips in.

If we cop an injury to a key player tomorrow I will need to take some time off.

This whole thing just stinks of the coaching group not trusting it's players in a desperate attempt to find form. Unlike Chris Scott who treats his players like adults and trusts them to get the job done.

This whole thing just stinks of the coaching group not trusting it's players in a desperate attempt to find form. Unlike Chris Scott who treats his players like adults and trusts them to get the job done.
Hard disagree.

Like Jack being denied a spot on the raft by Rose hard.

It's all chips in this weekend IMO.

Our team is out of form.

I keep seeing references to Geelong in 2022 and how they managed players on their run home towards September. That Geelong team went into finals on the back of a 13 game winning streak, by an average margin of 39 points. Chris Scott was able to "treat his players like adults" and "trust them to get the job done" because were already getting the job done, for 13 straight weeks. It afforded him the luxury of being able to manage players, but even then, look at the ages of some of the players managed in that time:

Joel Selwood, twice (rounds 16 & 21) - 34 years old
Rhys Stanley (round 20) - 31 years old
Mitch Duncan (round 22) - 31 years old
Isaac Smith (round 22) - 33 years old

The only players managed in that time under 30 were Jed Bews (round 18) who was 28, Tom Atkins (round 22) who was 26, and Jeremy Cameron (round 23) who was 29.

They had a team of veterans that needed to be managed. We may have some veterans, but do they need to be managed? And have we already kinda done so?

Dane Rampe missed two weeks already with that calf issue.
Luke Parker, Taylor Adams haven't played full seasons anyway.
Harry Cunningham missed two games a month ago with his hamstring issue.
Isaac Heeney got an involuntary week off anyway due to his suspension.
Tom Papley is getting plenty of time on the sidelines as we speak.
Lewis Melican missed two games with his hammy issue.
There's a possibility Jake Lloyd is the sub this week, if the team sheet is to be believed.

Brodie Grundy, I'll give you.

But even taking away who does and doesn't need to be managed, even then we aren't comparable to Chris Scott and Geelong of 2022. Compare a 13-game winning streak by an average margin of 39 points to us... the team that last week had a score of 22 points to half time against a team outside the eight; the team that the week before was 28 points down in the final quarter against a team outside the eight; the team that the week before that had their worst performance in decades to the tune of 112 points; the team that in the five weeks before that, had a win-loss record of 1-4.

Why would Horse trust this team to get the job done? They've got work to do to prove themselves worthy, and that has to start this weekend, or we're going into September on nothing but blind hope.

And FWIW I'm not excusing Horse, either. I think we haven't done a good job of managing players. We've taken a 13-1 record and basically a 4-game lead on the ladder, all before we'd managed anyone. When we were near-untouchable, like that Geelong team were, THAT was when we needed to be managing players, to prepare for what was surely going to be a tougher run home. We failed to do that, although it's worth considering there's a difference in being dominant in the first half of the season when you are trying to shore up a ladder position vs being dominant in the second half of the season once you've shored up your ladder position.

Hoping Heeney has another good game, otherwise Daicos and/or Cripps will pip them in the coaches votes

Hi kirkswan

Perhaps you're right, but I would like to use the most recent example of resting older players and achieving the ultimate success with them being primed to perform when it mattered - Geelong 2022 Grand Final.
Hi MrSwans

And I agree that Geelong did a magnificent job of managing their aged veterans throughout 2022 (as much as I hate to admire anything about them :sadv1:), but I have a lot of faith in our medicos and coaching staff. I don't think we should do stuff just because other teams did it and it worked for them (not that I'm saying you are doing that), but just that it should be horses for courses, and we do whats right for Grundy. And Horse and his team are best placed to know that...

As great as our undefeated run was, our best 2 performances of the season hands down were round 0 and Round 1. I get it's the completely opposite end of the season and there will be variables and nuances, but I'm more so looking at the way our boys moved in those games - they were like men possessed and looked infinitely stronger and quicker than of recent. Imo that was purely down to being fresh af after tapering off from a grueling pre season, and I think we should've taken this opportunity to recreate that by deloading and allow those fast twitch muscle fibres to recover completely.

Geelong took every single opportunity they had in 2022, not just the last round of the H & A but all throughout the season. Their results spoke for themselves. And as much as I love horse and I back him to the hilt, it's been a recurring theme where he's grinded great squads to a pulp come the last couple of games of the year where we just look sluggish and in just grind the game out mode. 2 weeks off matches is absolutely nothing in context.
See my earlier response below... to lazy to write it out again... :tongueoutv1:
Hi MrSwans

And I agree that Geelong did a magnificent job of managing their aged veterans throughout 2022 (as much as I hate to admire anything about them :sadv1:), but I have a lot of faith in our medicos and coaching staff. I don't think we should do stuff just because other teams did it and it worked for them (not that I'm saying you are doing that), but just that it should be horses for courses, and we do whats right for Grundy. And Horse and his team are best placed to know that...

To all of you who want half the team rested...

Sydney-siders will not take well to travelling to a game and watching the reserves get smashed! This is 'Thank You' round to Sydney's supporters... I know lots of them who travel 2-3 hours to get a game! And then have to do it all reverse to get home after the game. Some even travel from Canberra and Coffs, a few will fly in from interstate each round...

These people deserve some respect, rest a couple by all means but if I travel for hours to get there and there are four, five or more out and not due to injury, I'll be seriously pissed...

Sydney-siders will not take well to travelling to a game and watching the reserves get smashed! This is 'Thank You' round to Sydney's supporters... I know lots of them who travel 2-3 hours to get a game! And then have to do it all reverse to get home after the game. Some even travel from Canberra and Coffs, a few will fly in from interstate each round...

These people deserve some respect, rest a couple by all means but if I travel for hours to get there and there are four, five or more out and not due to injury, I'll be seriously pissed...

Would you be more pissed if we head into a QF with 4-5 missing because of a dead rubber the natural instinct for the players are to preserve their position for a final.

Injuries are more likely to occur not committing to the contest i would be absolutely ropeable should we lose a few because Adelaide will be going full bore.

What a load of drivel lol, with all due respect.

The relevance between the team picked and travelling supporters is zilch for one.

Secondly, if you're truly invested in the team as you are preaching, then you would be more than happy to ride the ebbs and flows of what is managing the team for greater success. Let alone at round 23...

Thirdly, again as a truly concerned fan you'd be more than happy seeing ressie players have crack playing for the shirt.

I think the travelling fans need to show some pride and think rationally by the sounds of it - if what you're saying is anything to go by. This ain't an exhibition match where the goal is for you to be entertained.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you be more pissed if we head into a QF with 4-5 missing because of a dead rubber the natural instinct for the players are to preserve their position for a final.

Injuries are more likely to occur not committing to the contest i would be absolutely ropeable should we lose a few because Adelaide will be going full bore.
Injuries happen in finals too... two or three key injuries in the first final will kill the year for us.

You do your preparation, you maintain your match fitness by playing... and you live with it.

It shouldn't be the natural instinct for these blokes... the are striving to regain form heading into finals! I'm fully expecting them to play like there's no tomorrow... These guys are the elite, the champions, the top 18 in the comp as it currently stands! THEY ARE COMPETITORS TO THE BONE! If they no putting in 100% in the lead up to finals, then we have much bigger problems than sore tired blokes!

I'm not sure how players being mentally annoyed they aren't playing a game, can impact the game they aren't playing.

If there's any carryover to the next game they play, would hope that it's that they want to show the coaches they shouldn't have missed a game for any reason.

If players are getting thoroughly beaten or hobbling around, but get pissy if managed, they probably need a lesson in mental fortitude and longer term thinking. If they protest that they aren't tired, they should be made to explain why they look like it.
if you donā€™t understand it itā€™s Ok.

What a load of drivel lol, with all due respect.

The relevance between the team picked and travelling supporters is zilch for one.

Secondly, if you're truly invested in the team as you are preaching, then you would be more than happy to ride the ebbs and flows of what is managing the team for greater success. Let alone at round 23...

Thirdly, again as a truly concerned fan you'd be more than happy seeing ressie players have crack playing for the shirt.

I think the travelling fans need to show some pride and think rationally by the sounds of it - if what you're saying is anything to go by. This ain't an exhibition match where the goal is for you to be entertained.
You know what? After more that 40 years of following the Swans form Sydney and rural NSW, years of 4, 6 and 8 hour return trips, years when we couldn't win a game to save ourselves, you don't get to tell me whether or not I'm invested because I don't meet your definition of invested! That is just extreme arrogance on your part.. so STFU!

I go to the games as a supporter expecting to the best available playing at every game I go to; if someone is rested, well and good during the season or if they're injured either slightly or it's a niggle and a game off will help, then fine... 4 or 5 is the Port game and that is not entertaining. Bad enough when it happens through injury... but tell your members that its thank you round and then only plan half a team... that's disrespect in the extreme.

You know what? After more that 40 years of following the Swans form Sydney and rural NSW, years of 4, 6 and 8 hour return trips, years when we couldn't win a game to save ourselves, you don't get to tell me whether or not I'm invested because I don't meet your definition of invested! That is just extreme arrogance on your part.. so STFU!

I go to the games as a supporter expecting to the best available playing at every game I go to; if someone is rested, well and good during the season or if they're injured either slightly or it's a niggle and a game off will help, then fine... 4 or 5 is the Port game and that is not entertaining. Bad enough when it happens through injury... but tell your members that its thank you round and then only plan half a team... that's disrespect in the extreme.
Not telling you that you're not invested at all, it's your priority which doesn't make sense. If the club decided to rest 15 players this week because it gives us the best chance of winning the premiership, then guess what - that makeshift team ends up being our 'best' team for this week.

Round 23 where you have sown your position equates to different circumstances compared to a mid season game. Teams have been doing it forever and a day. And teams have 35+ players in a squad for a reason, that's the squad you need to utilise throughout the length of a season including managing players with no apparent niggle or injury.

Injuries happen in finals too... two or three key injuries in the first final will kill the year for us.

You do your preparation, you maintain your match fitness by playing... and you live with it.

It shouldn't be the natural instinct for these blokes... the are striving to regain form heading into finals! I'm fully expecting them to play like there's no tomorrow... These guys are the elite, the champions, the top 18 in the comp as it currently stands! THEY ARE COMPETITORS TO THE BONE! If they no putting in 100% in the lead up to finals, then we have much bigger problems than sore tired blokes!
It's just bio mechanics 101. You could hit the gym everyday for a few weeks, by the end of it your body is going to feel very sore and fatigued despite just pushing through it with a machismo attitude, and keeping on going would reduce performance - after that if you take a weeks rest it allows your muscles to recover which is basically growth factor, so after that week of rest you will not only not feel sore but you will feel a huge effortless increase in strength and power compared to at any point during those weeks, including baseline. Rest is imperative for improvement, it's where the gains are actually made (contrary to what people actually think). The machismo attitude only gets you somewhere from a mental perspective.

Looking at our blokes the last few weeks they look like their bodies aren't allowing them to do what their mind wants to do. It's compounded over the season - a 2 week break would've been very beneficial imo. Don't forget that break next week isn't a holiday, they'll still be expected to train. 2 weeks break would've at least afforded a complete deload week.

But anyway rant over, here we are going in with a full strength side so enjoy i guess.

Last edited:

I come from Kiama, my daughter from Canberra. Resting a few is fine, half a team not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back