Game Day R3 NAB Cup - Essendon v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Morton the anonymous man and if TDL is kept out of the side because he doesn't work hard enough off the ball then Morton must be placed in the same category.
Completely agree. Just a lazy, lazy footballer. I wish we could delist him already and save ourselves the frustration.

Hi Guys I'll just give some of my thoughts from the game last night:

Game was on really early, starting at 6:10. I think the attendance board said something like 10k people at the beginning of the match and ~12.5k by the end. Swans cheersquad had great voice =)

Essendon moved the ball really well at times and it gave us some real problems, especially their handpassing which was very accurate and quick.

Our overall game was very patchy. Parts of the game we dominated (3rd quarter we really got back into the game) but parts of the game they were just getting easy goals.

Malceski and Shaw were looking good in defence but having said that our defence definately needs some improvement from the performance last night.

Sam Reid took some great marks, his kicking also seems to have improved alot. I think Cunningham deserves further opportunities when the season begins, his two goals were well taken.

Both Luke Parker and Gary Rohan showed some amazing flashes of energy and skill, very exciting. Jetta has also improved alot from what I saw last year.

I really wanted Tommy Walsh to score a goal. I think he needs to work on his positioning or something as he seemed to have very few opportunities to make any impact on the game.

Better if we had won, but there were alot of positives for the season proper if we can get some more consistency (esp in defence).

Didn't know that we have two Reid's? :)

whatthe.jpg

AFL.com.au

Didn't know that we have two Reid's? :)

whatthe.jpg

AFL.com.au

Hoepfully we will in a couple of years ;)

I thought it was a very entertaining game, even though we lost it. Being an NAB game makes it easier to take.

Luke Parker is an absolute gun. I jumped on the bandwagon when we first drafted him. He looked special, and he's continually taken his game to new levels, he's progressing very nicely indeed. He did alot of nice things. The things that impress me most about him, is that he's ferocious when attacking the ball, but also has a very attacking element to his offensive game, and knows how to score goals. imo, he's got the perfect mix of hardness, attack & defensive qualities. He will be elite one day.

Jetta performed well, but he still needs to take the game on with ball in hand. That's his major weapon, but he refuses to use it, which makes him just an average player. There was that passage of play where another player was providing the sheppard but Jetta didn't back himself and chose to lay it off, which was a poor decision as the other player was close to the defender (in position to sheppard) which gave him little room to move.

Malceski is BACK!! Please stay fit Mal, he's an absolute weapon. I'm really pleased with his performance, he had huge question marks hanging over him. Was doubtful for round 1, but I think yesterdays performance has sealed his spot in the team.

Mummy is crazy.

Good to see Reid play well. There was always that thought in the back of my mind that his progress may stall and he'll become another run-of-the-mill forward. But he's shown great signs early and looks to be continuing his development.

Jack was good, he looks like he'll get back to his 2010 form. Hope he stays fit.

Kennedy, Bolts, Shaw solid as usual.

Grundy was really good. This might be a standout year for him. And with Teddy, AJ & Smith we've got 4 really strong defenders. And oter options as well.

Everitt did a couple of nice things. I think most of us were a little too quick to sink the boot in. 2011 was ruined by injuries, but he's got the potental to be an imortant player for us. But whether he reaises that potential is a different story.

As for the not so great stuff

Pyke was disappointing. Looked a little lost today. Wasn't impressed with Seabs either, he looks slow as hell.
Morton was also very quiet, and was poor defensively.
Walsh is not ready, and I don't think he'll be a good defender. I really want him to succeed though. But who knows, it's early days
LRT struggled today

Ruck & forward line are obviously our major issues. Don't know what we'll do really. We've got a host of forward options, but apart from Reid, noone's putting their hand up. Can we trade 3 of our hopefuls for 1 definite star?

Very impressed with how the game panned out with some excellent performances all over the ground. Would have won comfortably imo if Kizza hadn't gone down allowing Stanton to come into the game and those terrible frees in the second against us.

They should have paid that mark Sam took on the boundary, even though it didn't travel 15 it was a beauty.

I didn't want to comment, certainly not make a big deal about it, but the second quarter was possibly the most one-sided unbalanced umpiring effort I can remember. Just on basic free kicks in goal-scrong positions for both sides, I thought we were dudded five goals ... as in, a few frees we should have received in front of goal (Goodes, Parker), and a couple they got but shouldn't have that ended up goals to them (Walsh on Hurley for starters).

I didn't want to comment, certainly not make a big deal about it, but the second quarter was possibly the most one-sided unbalanced umpiring effort I can remember. Just on basic free kicks in goal-scrong positions for both sides, I thought we were dudded five goals ... as in, a few frees we should have received in front of goal (Goodes, Parker), and a couple they got but shouldn't have that ended up goals to them (Walsh on Hurley for starters).

True, looks like Hurley has the same rules as N.Reiwoldt. LRT, Seaby, Pyke, Morton, Walsh struggled. Parker and Cunningham plusses and of course Reid. Can Goodes play forever please. Otherwise was disappointed with our efforts. Thought we'd win comfortably. Not so bullish about our chances to improve this year. Need another goal kicking forward. TDL is about the only natural forward/goalkicker we have and we don't play him. As an aside you can see why Roosy tried to give our1st 2 picks to get Dustin Martin.

True, looks like Hurley has the same rules as N.Reiwoldt. LRT, Seaby, Pyke, Morton, Walsh struggled. Parker and Cunningham plusses and of course Reid. Can Goodes play forever please. Otherwise was disappointed with our efforts. Thought we'd win comfortably. Not so bullish about our chances to improve this year. Need another goal kicking forward. TDL is about the only natural forward/goalkicker we have and we don't play him. As an aside you can see why Roosy tried to give our1st 2 picks to get Dustin Martin.

I have to admit I wasn't as down on LRT as many seem to have been. He was beaten but he also did some good work, and it's just great to see him fit and playing this early. And Grundy, on what I've seen over the preseason, seems even stronger and definitely more composed.

Walsh at least had a crack, and yes, Parker and Cunningham are full of promise. And Lewis Jetta seems to have gained a lot more confidence physically.

The most pleasing thing about the other night was howe fought back on the occasions Essendon looked to have got away from us. I'm feeling quite optimistic about the season ahead.

That awkward moment when Lewis Jetta gets the most dream team points :eek:

The one thing we're missing at the moment is a genuine accumulator, someone you can really on to get 25 touches a week and be a genuine linkman between plays. As of this time we don't have that yet.

The one thing we're missing at the moment is a genuine accumulator, someone you can really on to get 25 touches a week and be a genuine linkman between plays. As of this time we don't have that yet.

I am hoping Tom Mitchell will turn into one of those players assuming gets over his injuries one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right, the umpiring has got worse and Essendon got to many easy ones. Can't wait to the ammo's start with normal rules with players able to make contact.

If your talking link men who can accumulate 25 possessions in a link game fair enough. We have Kennedy and O'Keefe who regularly racking up those sort of numbers and better on the inside and McVeighs a fairly good link man for these two.

Craig Bird has looked pretty good this pre season that he's ready to step into the middle link role and some inside work this year. Hanners maturing again and I think we have the sort of midfield that can play both attacking and defensive roles.

I thought Jetta was pretty good for you guy. Like our Jetta he seems to lack a bit of ego at times, not really run his full length or kicking the goal when he probably should, but he was in the action when he needed to be, and moved with purpose. He needs to add a bit of weight, but I think he'll have a good year for you.

Hanners?

Can't count Mitchell surely.

As far as an 'accumulator' goes, I define it as someone who is able to win his own ball while also being able to run on the outside and receive. That's why they accumulate the ball at high numbers, they can do it in more than just one setting in the game.

As such, Hannebery is definitely a strong-running accumulator IMO. He's a good blend of inside ball winning and outside run. McVeigh and Jack are a similar kinds of players. Kennedy is really just an inside ball winner (an outstanding one at that), wouldn't call him an accumulator by the way I'm defining it.

Welllll I'm just going on the precedent he set in the U18s, obviously that's all we have to go on. But that's the sort of player he is, which is I guess what I was getting at, as the point was we don't have that sort of player.

Can't count Mitchell surely.

I agree. Under 16 and Under 18 form we can't judge at this stage. Need to see him play a few games in Red and White first.

As far as an 'accumulator' goes, I define it as someone who is able to win his own ball while also being able to run on the outside and receive. That's why they accumulate the ball at high numbers, they can do it in more than just one setting in the game.

As such, Hannebery is definitely a strong-running accumulator IMO. He's a good blend of inside ball winning and outside run. McVeigh and Jack are a similar kinds of players. Kennedy is really just an inside ball winner (an outstanding one at that), wouldn't call him an accumulator by the way I'm defining it.

What about Parker?

I think his peak ability will be above that of Hannerbury and looks likely to step into a playing style similar to that of Jack.

*Good Lukeing.

Parker could be a good example. If he continues to play like he did against GC last year and Essendon last week, most certainly.

I think another normal trait of an 'accumulator' is a high level of handballing. Really quick, short, sharp handballing seems to be a way that large numbers are racked up (in the mould of a Daniel Cross or a Simon Black maybe). If we are to use that as another trait, I think that fits Hannebery more than it would a McVeigh or Jack, both of whom I think tend to run, carry and kick more than handpass.

So I think Hannebery is the most pure version of an accumulator we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back