Racist fan has membership terminated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of the club apologising, as I said elsewhere, that's modern PR for you. Organisations like to be seen getting on the front foot with issues like this.

And fair enough too. Getting hot headed isn't justification for racial vilification, ever.

Why the rolleyes?
Because I don't look forward to the bloke flapping his gums at the best of times, now he has been victimized again it will be even worse.

This is the first time in 18 months that essendon have done something positive in the press and you're not happy with it?!

No, I think it is a disingenuous PR exercise

SuperFooty (AFL) ‏@superfooty 31s
Now @westernbulldogs release statement saying they are looking for fan who racially abused Demon Neville Jetta. What's going on out there??

GET ALL THE RACISTS!!

No offence mate, but what's your argument here? You happy to have players racially abused at games? It's not some witch hunt. It's justified criticism of people who yell ugly hateful moronic crap at players.

Look forward to learning how all of this is Goodes' fault though. (not you spartanwa, but others will try it on)

So, you never get emotionally invested in a sport??

There is a huge difference between calling someone a prick, which we all probably do, and using a racial slur.

No offence mate, but what's your argument here? You happy to have players racially abused at games? It's not some witch hunt. It's justified criticism of people who yell ugly hateful moronic crap at players.

Look forward to learning how all of this is Goodes' fault though. (not you spartanwa, but others will try it on)

you are going to get idiots everywhere. This sort of action by the clubs is just PR.

you are going to get idiots everywhere. This sort of action by the clubs is just PR.
PR that sends a strong message to fans of all clubs that this shit is not on. That if you do it and get caught, you face very strong consequences. PR that is hopefully a strong deterrent against anyone stupid enough to even think about doing something like this.

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

No, I think it is a disingenuous PR exercise
I don't doubt that for a minute, but if clubs start to publicly tear up memberships it will send an unequivocal message to footy members that this sort of conduct is unacceptable.

Most people already know that, however there's still some out there who think that all's fair in love and war as long you're simply frustrated.

yeah, sorry this is going to make me unpopular with people, but a guy says something in the heat of the moment and
loses his membership? That's going too far. The guy was a dickhead, but seriously?

Surely you can control yourself enough at the footy to not only not make racist comments, but to swear as well.
I don't know how many times I have asked people around to refrain from swearing as there are usually kids around.
Not that I have any kids myself, but going to the footy doesn't entitle you to say and act anyway you like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure.

Fat Prick
Stupid Prick
******ed Prick
Black Prick
Wog Prick
etc etc. it's either good for all or good for none.

Oh my. :oops:

Here's some help.

Prick = Completely neutral insult.

Black prick = Taking their race and adding an insult.

Not the same.

Oh my. :oops:

Here's some help.

Prick = Completely neutral insult.

Black prick = Taking their race and adding an insult.

Not the same.

So insults are fine, as long as colour is not brought in to it?

Gotcha.

ONE PERSON said something, probably in frustration. It wasn't a lynch mob, it's not a free for all. Goodes, once again, gets away with murder and someone would have said something. No, it isn't right, but the reaction is completely OTT.

I'm confused. What did Goodes do? Received a dubious free kick? That's his fault? That makes it OK?

Well done Dons fans who dobbed him in. In a game that didn't cover the clubs fans in glory this is one shining light.

Gotcha.
Nobody said insults are fine. I personally see no need for it. But if you can't see the difference between an insult and a racial insult...

Nobody said insults are fine. I personally see no need for it. But if you can't see the difference between an insult and a racial insult...

the point is that insults are either ok or they're not. Once we start adding subjective values then we can justify our bad behaviour
whilst pointing the finger at others.

Gotcha.

They're not fine, but they're definitely more acceptable. Calling someone a prick or an arseh*le is harsh, but it's neutral as far as insults go. As soon as you discriminate, you've crossed the line.

the point is that insults are either ok or they're not. Once we start adding subjective values then we can justify our bad behaviour
whilst pointing the finger at others.
"Nobody said insults are fine"

Reductionist. Not an argument. Try again.

you think so?
If we are all so enlightened, insults shouldn't be used at all

yeah, sorry this is going to make me unpopular with people, but a guy says something in the heat of the moment and
loses his membership? That's going too far. The guy was a dickhead, but seriously?

Gets upset and his default response is racism?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back