Rance?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did we draft him? What position does he have in our side? We have 3 Key defenders in Moore, Thursfield and McGuane. Silvester is even better than Rance at the Key defensive post.

Where does he sit in our future because IMO, won't make it with us. His kicking is questionable and he isn't a KPP.

Thoughts?

Relax. He is only a second year player

McGuane, Thurstfield and Moore all took at 3-5 years to really start establishing themselves

He has excellent tennancity and though while his skills are average (at best) he will develop them. A good result would be if he becomes a similar player to an Andrew Mackie. Needs to have a couple of games on the wing. A spell at Coburg wouldn't be a bad idea either

Rance is also 5 years younger than Selvester.

I can see him playing in the middle or on the wing rather than a key back, if we don't need him to become that, with the athleticism he has got. His kicking looks more about the lack of composure of knowing when to settle before the kick rather than him being a truly bad kick from what I see. That will come with experience at AFL level. Considering this is his first year he's experienced AFL football I think he's progressing just fine.

will be our best Key defender within 2 years

runs well , corageous, good one on one, tackles well, hard at it
only area he could improve is decision making and footskills which im sure he will

this kids a jet thank goodness we got him
id trade any defender in our side before id trade him

I think he is developing well, I just don't see what he brings to our team? I'm not sure why we drafted him?

Tackling pressure, strong leadership and commitment, a strong athletic frame for a young draftee to develop and a player that has potential to push into the midfield and bust packs. The only thing he's missing is the experience to adjust to the pace of AFL football and to improve his kicking under pressure.

I am very happy that we drafted him and can see why Francis Jackson was such a fan.

He was the best player around for our pick. Most had him in the first round so we did well. Has shown a lot and I have no doubt he'll be a good player for the club.

Why did we draft him? What position does he have in our side? We have 3 Key defenders in Moore, Thursfield and McGuane. Silvester is even better than Rance at the Key defensive post.

Where does he sit in our future because IMO, won't make it with us. His kicking is questionable and he isn't a KPP.

Thoughts?

You make a valid point.

Personally i think he has what it take to make it, but i am concerned that we are not utilising ad developing his frame and size for a key back role. I don't cae that he's never played as a KP type in juniors, fact is, he has perfect key back size and great agility and tenacity. If we honed these skills and developed his body work, he'd be a gun key back for us for 10 yrs! Forget all this tall wingman type BS, his skills aren't elite enough for it. Personally i would rather a 193cm 95kg agile cat standing the likes of buddy, fev, roughead, reiwoldt and making them worry about his rebound than a 193cm poor man birchall bc thats all hed ever be.

Get him playing on big fwds for the rest of the season and keep working on it richmond, don't waste another talent through poor development

We weren't going to draft him as everybody expected him to go much higher than pick 18 so when he got to us they just snapped him up. Emma Quayle summed it up well that year when she intimated in an AGE draft lift out...

...that if you couldn't get Rance then Tayte Pears was the way to go. Pears is steady and calm when he gets the footy and supporters will feel safe when it's in his hands. Rance on the other hand just needs to calm down and can look agitated when he has the footy but supporters will love his rebound from defence.

That's pretty much what she said from memory. She predicted Rance to go top 12 i think and pears a few picks lower.

Personally i think Rance is a ripping player for his age however his decision making and skill execution does worry me a bit. If he can learn to calm down and find some space then he could be a very very good backman. He is a big lad for his age. Not huge but you just have to look at Bolton and Hudgeton to know that you don't have to be a monster to be an all australian full back or chb.

He has excellent tennancity and though while his skills are average (at best) he will develop them. A good result would be if he becomes a similar player to an Andrew Mackie. Needs to have a couple of games on the wing. A spell at Coburg wouldn't be a bad idea either
Read the Leigh Matthews article on the AFL website about skills. He says players must have the skill when they arrive in the AFL because there isn't the time to develop them once there. Mackie is a beautifully skilled player. Rance is not.

I can see him playing in the middle or on the wing rather than a key back, if we don't need him to become that, with the athleticism he has got. His kicking looks more about the lack of composure of knowing when to settle before the kick rather than him being a truly bad kick from what I see. That will come with experience at AFL level. Considering this is his first year he's experienced AFL football I think he's progressing just fine.
His kicking is a worry PHX. To me it looks like unless he has time to make sure he's holding and dropping the ball right, it's a lottery. No way I'd want him in the midfield.

Tackling pressure, strong leadership and commitment, a strong athletic frame for a young draftee to develop and a player that has potential to push into the midfield and bust packs. The only thing he's missing is the experience to adjust to the pace of AFL football and to improve his kicking under pressure.

I am very happy that we drafted him and can see why Francis Jackson was such a fan.
Again, no way I'd want him in the midfield with his kicking. I have no confidence in him hitting a target greater than 30m away. All the other attributes you mention he has in spades but I still think it's KPD or bust for him. My other concern is I'm yet to see him take an overhead mark.

Was FJ that in love with him or did he just pounce on someone he had failed to do due dilligence on because he was expected to be a top 10 pick?

Read the Leigh Matthews article on the AFL website about skills. He says players must have the skill when they arrive in the AFL because there isn't the time to develop them once there. Mackie is a beautifully skilled player. Rance is not.

His kicking is a worry PHX. To me it looks like unless he has time to make sure he's holding and dropping the ball right, it's a lottery. No way I'd want him in the midfield.

Again, no way I'd want him in the midfield with his kicking. I have no confidence in him hitting a target greater than 30m away. All the other attributes you mention he has in spades but I still think it's KPD or bust for him. My other concern is I'm yet to see him take an overhead mark.

Was FJ that in love with him or did he just pounce on someone he had failed to do due dilligence on because he was expected to be a top 10 pick?

Reports from the RFC draft night that they hold is that Jackson was praising Rance but didn't think we could get him because of our picks. It wasn't the case of a draft day decision, we had recognised him before that was impressed by him.

I also think that a bad kick is somewhat more damaging down back when under pressure than in the midfield where I've seen him be very effective hunting the football in the midfield and giving out good handpasses that put our players into space.

You mention the Lethal article but I think Rance does have the skills and it shows when he has uncontested possessions on most occasions but he's simply not used to pace of AFL yet so he makes rushed decisions which denigrates his perceived skill level. I think experience will help him with that.

Never-the-less what I think is making his disposals ineffective might not happen and you do have a valid point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be a very good KPD, has both size and pace in spades, should be able to match up on anybody in a few years, and run off when necessary.

he can still suit our needs ad stitch up a key area(and weakness) for us for a long time now, they just need to curtail the HBF'er in him and develop him into a KPB. He has the tools, it's up to the development coaches to get him there.. if they have the foresight :rolleyes:

Exactly....typical Richmond BF impatience with kids....another idiotic, panicky, hand-wringing overreaction to a young player not tearing it up immediately...:thumbsdown:

Yeah I'm really started to get sick of it. It's like whenever Cotchin has a quiet game idiots post saying he's to slow and doesnt work hard enough. They are kids! Give them time.

Seems to me his first instinct is to go by hand rather than foot. For someone with his size and ability to crash through packs you would hope he could then spot up a leading forward 40-50 meters away. I have my doubts he can or ever will.

I think he is developing well, I just don't see what he brings to our team? I'm not sure why we drafted him?

Yeah I agree. Why the hell did we draft a kid that's built like a brick shithouse, has plenty of mongrel, fierce attack at the contest, courage personified, is only 20 y/o and developing and yet we keep the likes of jay schulz on the list who offers absolutely nothing?

Recruit more skinny outside flanker squibs I say!!!

Strengths = Tenacity, strength for his age

Weaknesses = Decision making, balance (always seems to be lunging and off balance) and speed (not quick but probably not slow either).

He will definitely need to work on his weaknesses to become an AFL player

Ordinary footballer. a side. He will never have it. Also goes to ground everytime he is chased. Trade for a 10-20 pick. Either trade McGuane or Rance. Moore and Thursfield are the only reliable defenders we have and they are not key backs. Silvester does'nt count. He's 24 and a spud. I'm hoping theres a FB in this years draft. Would've loved Hurley down back but this club's too stupid to get its priorities right (pardon the pun).

Ordinary footballer. a side. He will never have it. Also goes to ground everytime he is chased. Trade for a 10-20 pick. Either trade McGuane or Rance. Moore and Thursfield are the only reliable defenders we have and they are not key backs. Silvester does'nt count. He's 24 and a spud. I'm hoping theres a FB in this years draft. Would've loved Hurley down back but this club's too stupid to get its priorities right (pardon the pun).

and your mother made a mistake :eek:

Strengths = Tenacity, strength for his age

Weaknesses = Decision making, balance (always seems to be lunging and off balance) and speed (not quick but probably not slow either).

He will definitely need to work on his weaknesses to become an AFL player

Sorry, but having speed as one of his weaknesses proves you have NFI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back