Rank Immaturity showing in NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

This has got nothing to do with the commentators being anti-melbourne or them not having a "national" mentality. They were pushing for parramatta to win coz it would've been a great fairytale. They havent won a premiership in 23 years, they have 2 of the most respected players in the nrl in hindmarsh and cayless nearing retirement but have never experienced winning the comp, they came from 8th to make it to the GF and 10 rounds before the finals started, I reckon they were one of the favourites to win the wooden spoon.
I agree they should be more objective but its got nothing to do with any kind of state rivalry

normally i hate watching any of the morning shows (7 and 9). unfortunately i didnt get to see any of them this morning. did anyone watch either of the two? was it like a funeral?

vossy on the today show was a little, but they are national shows so a bit less than the coverage last night

Funniest part of it were the AFL references. Hilarious.

Not once have I ever heard the NRL mentioned during an AFL broadcast, never mind an AFL Grand Final.

Talk about an inferiority complex.

Don't think it was that. I think Rabs just thinks they have to do that sort of thing for the Victorian audience, which is simply ridiculous. A bit like how someone commented on them explaining rules to Victorians. Which again is just stupid. I've never seen AFL commentators explaining rules to NSW or Qld viewers who might be watching the game for the first time. If you watch the game, you just learn!

vossy on the today show was a little, but they are national shows so a bit less than the coverage last night

would they have been gushing if parra won?

Don't think it was that. I think Rabs just thinks they have to do that sort of thing for the Victorian audience, which is simply ridiculous. A bit like how someone commented on them explaining rules to Victorians. Which again is just stupid. I've never seen AFL commentators explaining rules to NSW or Qld viewers who might be watching the game for the first time. If you watch the game, you just learn!

i dont mind the explanations of the rules every now and then, at least it shows (IMO) that the commentators are taking some time to help non traditional RL fans understand the game.

but yes, over time fans will just learn

Last year - supported by the NRL - officials of the NRL were allowed to wreck the Storms preparation with court proceedings gleefully whipped along by the Sydney media.

Oh please, Cam Smith did it. Fact. Whether anyone else got away with it or not, he did it & deserved his suspension.

He was not the difference between a 40-0 spanking and a win.

But the Storm's attitude problem last year was why many of us even down here were extrmely happy to see it done to them.

I would like to highlight the difference to this year, where the club has got off their high horse and actually gone back to concentrating on playing football .... & won the premiership

FWIW Agree with you on them being rorted in 2006, but you can hardly claim that's a Sydney thing given it was Brisbane the refs were cheating for.

lets remember too the heartland of the game is Sydney, 90% of the crowd was for Parra, the year the game as had off the field, the best thing (in most peoples eyes) was Parramatta to win..

back from the dead is the line used for Parra and some saying about the NRL itself..

I thought it was a great game, the best team won!
Thats all we wanted

What was that you were saying about insecurity ?
Notice how i included Manly there also, a Sydney team? I can't help it that those 3 clubs are of no interest to me, infact pretty dislikeable given Brisbane and Melbournes News Ltd involvement and, well, constant ********ness in the case of Brisbane, and Manly are Manly, similar to Brisbane.

For all this criticism of the Sydney media in the lead up to this game, how many of you were pleased to see Geelong finally break the stranglehold of interstate side on the AFL Grand Final? How many were stoked with an all Melbourne GF the last couple of seasons?
As a neutral in the main state it is more enjoyable when it is two more localised sides with long standing history in the big game than when it is teams from 1000 km away. I mean in the last 15 years i have watched the game there have been 4 all Sydney grand finals, 6 all NSW grand finals. So naturally when there is a somewhat more local side and more likeable in the big game it is a much more exciting build up.

lol some guy said no wonder the game gets low crowds and ratings hahahahahahaha

some anti RL people are so ignorant its beyond belief

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually BomberBears, you have a very good point.

Does anyone remember the News Ltd media claiming Victorian footy was dying etc etc etc

& LOL!!! Auckmel. I've said this on the main board though, Fui would be rubbed out for life the first time he dropped his shoulder. There is not an AFL player going around that could handle being smashed by that man.

It's a shame Fui is 30 years old and only has 2-3 years left in the game. If he was 25 now he could become one of the all time greats.

On the lack of respect for the Storm from NSW - like it or not, the Storm are a manufactured team out of the Super League compromise. They have achieved great things, but the lack of respect for the traditions of the game in NSW by News (Souths, North Sydney), and forcing ARL aligned teams to merge when no Super League teams were forced to, has created a lot of angst towards the Storm as they are rightly or wrongly seen, along with the Broncos, as News Limited's teams.

Parochialism exists in all sports. It will always be there.

& LOL!!! Auckmel. I've said this on the main board though, Fui would be rubbed out for life the first time he dropped his shoulder. There is not an AFL player going around that could handle being smashed by that man.

Agreed mate. That hit on White was huge.

On the lack of respect for the Storm from NSW - like it or not, the Storm are a manufactured team out of the Super League compromise.

Just a point of note here - They may have been a SL outfit, but they weren't created out of the compromise as such.

They existed before the compromise and would have played in the SL comp of '98 had the two parties not come together.

Melbourne was the only thing SL did right. Even if their choice of owner made it very difficult for some northern ex-pats to support them in any way in the early years.

Thankfully the scum **** is gone now.

This last Grand Final would have been the first time Melbourne did not have a majority of Sydneysiders going for them.

In 1999 Melbourne were still a bit of a fairytale themselves. St George Illawarra had a good chunk of the city behind it, but more people were going for the Storm.

In 2006 they played Brisbane. Quite simply, most people in NSW hate the Broncos passionately.

In 2007 and 2008 they played Manly - the most hated club in the competition. Last year the Daily Telegraph launched a "get behind the Sydney team" campaign. It failed dismally. The Storm had the overwhelming support of people in Sydney.

In 2009 they played Parramatta. A team who were coming third last after 18 rounds. They won 10 out of 11 to make the Grand Final, awakening the latent support for them in Sydney's west.

The idea that people in NSW have it in for the Storm is misguided. Some grumble about their News Limited connections etc, but they are decidedly middle of the field when it comes to the "hate" index.

a lot of victorians like to think it's a world vs them thing. Most of them don't, but a fair few still like to believe it's true.

Agree the support for the storm in 1999 was massive btw, from sydney especially.

but hang on, dont sydney fans hate the melbourne storm?

certainly my mother in law does hence wanting parra to win because "it's a nsw competition, dont want the trophy going south"

certainly my mother in law does hence wanting parra to win because "it's a nsw competition, dont want the trophy going south"

Imagine if the Warriors won. You'd all be lining up to have a shot. :)

I don't believe that's the feeling at all. In 1999 virtually everyone hated st george aside from their own fans. Nobody will dispute this, they were hated.

Try finding a bloke in Sydney who will support the Broncos over the Storm. I went with 7 others to that GF and we were all wearing some form of purple, even though none of us were from Melbourne.

And the years the Storm played Manly, most people went for the storm as well. The tele tried to run a pro-manly campaign and it failed miserably. Callback was inundated with anti-manly vitriol. Unbelievable what short memories some melbourne fans have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank Immaturity showing in NRL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back