Ranking most successful vfl/afl teams....

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dice Man said:
Won 2 in my lifetime mate.

Instead of looking like a pansy wannabe unique snowflake, why dont you go off and come up with your own WrANKING formula?
Not sure it counts if your mother was still changing your sh1tty nappies

Bloodz said:
Brisbane still have'nt boiled that egg even after your alterations

The Brisbane Lions have only existed since the start of the 1997 season. The only way the data can be fair is if we DON'T disadvantage clubs for spending less time in the competition. His data doesn't discriminate against a teams tenure in the comp, hence Brisbane deserve their number one spot.

In 9 season they have made 4 GF's, 3 flags, and made the finals 7 times.

If you expand that to 109 seasons, it would be the same as winning 36 flags, playing in 48 GF's and making the finals 85 times.

Now sure, they havn't done if for 109 seasons yet, and they probably won't be able to maintain it. But the facts are, to this point in time after 9 seasons, they are number one and they have maintained it for those 9 season which is all we have to go by. If you average out their results, so that their 9 seasons are treated as equally as another clubs 109 seasons, they come out on top. Those are the simple facts, to the end of 2005.

Bloodz said:
Not sure it counts if your mother was still changing your sh1tty nappies

Funny stuff. There's not too many, but there is a couple of Swans supporters (probably just growing their first pubes I imagine) who after the Swans won their first premiership in over 70 years all of a sudden think they're George W Bush, nukes and all.

The only good thing to have come out of your club is the Swanettes and Warrick Capper.

Dan26 said:
The Brisbane Lions have only existed since the start of the 1997 season. The only way the data can be fair is if we DON'T disadvantage clubs for spending less time in the competition. His data doesn't discriminate against a teams tenure in the comp, hence Brisbane deserve their number one spot.

In 9 season they have made 4 GF's, 3 flags, and made the finals 7 times.

If you expand that to 109 seasons, it would be the same as winning 36 flags, playing in 48 GF's and making the finals 85 times.

Now sure, they havn't done if for 109 seasons yet, and they probably won't be able to maintain it. But the facts are, to this point in time after 9 seasons, they are number one and they have maintained it for those 9 season which is all we have to go by. If you average out their results, so that their 9 seasons are treated as equally as another clubs 109 seasons, they come out on top. Those are the simple facts, to the end of 2005.
yeah right Dan, would they have salary cap concessions for those 100 years? ;)

The Dice Man said:
Instead of looking like a pansy wannabe unique snowflake, why dont you go off and come up with your own WrANKING formula?

'Cause he'd rather sit on the sidelines and take pot shots at someone else for having a go.

The irony of it, is that it is a Pies supporter who initiated the topic and yet he pourns scorn on him.

I still reckon Bloodz is Eddie or his mother.

luthor said:
'Cause he'd rather sit on the sidelines and take pot shots at someone else for having a go.

The irony of it, is that it is a Pies supporter who initiated the topic and yet he pourns scorn on him.

I still reckon Bloodz is Eddie or his mother.

I think Bloodz is this guy..

MR-METHANE.jpg

Thanks, Dan, you bring up a good point. Plus, Brisbane Lions success has come during a 16 team competition, whereas in some years, the early years, the competition was of a lesser standard in certain degrees, and often had about 8-12 teams. Plus, teams have to nowadays travel interstate a lot. There are difficulties in comparing teams of different eras. And one of them is comparing a 109 year old club's success with a 9 year old club's success. It's just a way of trying to draw a comparison and see where certain teams rate alongside others. It would be unfair to newer clubs, even teams that are 80 years old to have to catch up when they never can, as there will always be those 20-100 years gap between clubs' ages.
Ranking their success within the time they've spent in a competition is the fairest way possible.
I don't really understand Bloodz's anger here.

pale_rider said:
Thanks, Dan, you bring up a good point. Plus, Brisbane Lions success has come during a 16 team competition, whereas in some years, the early years, the competition was of a lesser standard in certain degrees, and often had about 8-12 teams. Plus, teams have to nowadays travel interstate a lot. There are difficulties in comparing teams of different eras. And one of them is comparing a 109 year old club's success with a 9 year old club's success. It's just a way of trying to draw a comparison and see where certain teams rate alongside others. It would be unfair to newer clubs, even teams that are 80 years old to have to catch up when they never can, as there will always be those 20-100 years gap between clubs' ages.
Ranking their success within the time they've spent in a competition is the fairest way possible.
You have a team on top that enjoyed salary cap concessions during its premiership period that nobody else but us has ever had access to... I mean get real, the numbers are a joke

And ps: you might fool these bozos that you are a Cllingwood supporter after 3 posts, but I've known a few of those arrogant pr1icks and there is no way they would ever support your ranking, so have the nads to fess up or go play with the traffic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pale_rider said:
Ranking their success within the time they've spent in a competition is the fairest way possible..

It's a bit like trying to compare cricket teams of the 30's and 40's with modern day players.

All you can do is to try to quantify "success" and to do that you have to make some assumptions.

You've had a go at it, so good luck to you

pale_rider said:

Take my word for it....Bloodz is angry about a lot of things. ;)

Brisbane had draft concessions, but draft concessions don't immediately = premierships. You still have to coach and play above everyone else. The Swans received years of draft concessions too. And other AFL financial support. Meanwhile, teams like Collingwood have had the benefit of easy schedules year in year out. The bottom line is, most of these things equal out. Collingwood has had early picks in the draft, or good spots in the draft, and not done much with them. You still have to perform as a scouting organisation, still have to trade well, and buy the right players, Collingwood has had plenty of money to buy good talent as well.

It's what you do with all the advantages and disadvantages.

You can't really deny the Brisbane Lions their glowing success in just 9 years of competition. What you'll find is that as the years go by, things will even out more, Brisbane will drop with some bad performing years, and those beginning 9 years worth of stats+allocations will get watered down by the amount of bad years. Look at Fitzroy, during their early 10-20 years they dominated the competition, but after 100 they got watered down. Same thing will happen with Brisbane or West Coast.

Just take it easy and understand all this, it's not that hard.

pale_rider said:
Brisbane had draft concessions, but draft concessions don't immediately = premierships. You still have to coach and play above everyone else. The Swans received years of draft concessions too. And other AFL financial support. Meanwhile, teams like Collingwood have had the benefit of easy schedules year in year out. The bottom line is, most of these things equal out. Collingwood has had early picks in the draft, or good spots in the draft, and not done much with them. You still have to perform as a scouting organisation, still have to trade well, and buy the right players, Collingwood has had plenty of money to buy good talent as well.

It's what you do with all the advantages and disadvantages.
You can't really deny the Brisbane Lions their glowing success in just 9 years of competition. What you'll find is that as the years go by, things will even out more, Brisbane will drop with some bad performing years, and those beginning 9 years worth of stats+allocations will get watered down by the amount of bad years. Look at Fitzroy, during their early 10-20 years they dominated the competition, but after 100 they got watered down. Same thing will happen with Brisbane or West Coast.

Just take it easy and understand all this, it's not that hard.
Yes it's just a big coincidence that 4 of the last 5 flags (almost 5 out of 5) have been won by the only 2 teams with salary cap concessions :D

luthor said:
All you can do is to try to quantify "success" and to do that you have to make some assumptions.

You've had a go at it, so good luck to you
He had a go but it was a poor effort, numbers only tell part of the tale, he is one of those eggs i was speaking about before, he has no sense of history, no understanding of what dominating a competition actually is, a team thats been around for 9 years on top? just embarrasses himself

luthor said:
OK Melbourne Einstein............why don't you have the balls to tell us what your system is for rating the clubs?

I asked you this before but the silence is deafening.
The ultimate system is premierships, but total? time spent at the top of the premiership tabel? how do 5 minute clubs fit into the picture? obviously they cant, so what i'm saying is there is no ranking system... but if you want to know who dominated for 60 years and became the most despised, feared club of all time i can tell you that

Bloodz said:
He had a go but it was a poor effort, numbers only tell part of the tale, he is one of those eggs i was speaking about before, he has no sense of history, no understanding of what dominationg a competition actually is, a team thats been around for 9 years on top? just embarrasses himself

The embarrassment is all yours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ranking most successful vfl/afl teams....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back