Ranking most successful vfl/afl teams....

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloodz said:
Yes it's just a big coincidence that 4 of the last 5 flags (almost 5 out of 5) have been won by the only 2 teams with salary cap concessions

I think that has an effect, but it's not the reason. I think the strangulation of teams in Victoria has dissipated much of the Victorian success. The one/two city teams have more chance of success, have 11 home games which almost guarantee them 10 wins. That helps a lot. Fremantle had enjoyed enormous draft concessions and draft priorities, but look what they've done - nothing. Draft concessions doesn't = success. Fremantle is badly coached, there's some scouting/management problems in that organisation. Look at Brisbane, they've had Leigh Matthews as coach. Possible the greatest coach ever. He broke the hoodoo for Collingwood, when not even Tom Hafey could, who won multiple flags with Richmond. Leigh Matthews and what he brings, the personnel he brings, the way he runs a club, etc, has a lot more to do with it. If Leigh was signed up by Fremantle tomorrow. Give him 3 years and he would turn that club upside-down, instill a success-mentality, find the right players, scout the right juniors, insist on the right assistant coaches, and they'd win flags.

Malthouse is an excellent coach, he got Collingwood into 2 Grand Finals, and only lost out to a superior coaching/organisational structure of Leigh Matthews. If Leigh wasn't coaching, Brisbane would not have gone deep into the finals. Collingwood would probably have faced Port Adelaide and Sydney in those Grand Finals.

Bloodz said:
The ultimate system is premierships, but total? time spent at the top of the premiership tabel? how do 5 minute clubs fit into the picture? obviously they cant, so what i'm saying is there is no ranking system... but if you want to know who dominated for 60 years and became the most despised, feared club of all time i can tell you that

So tell us....the answer is?

pale_rider said:
I think that has an effect, but it's not the reason. I think the strangulation of teams in Victoria has dissipated much of the Victorian success. The one/two city teams have more chance of success, have 11 home games which almost guarantee them 10 wins. That helps a lot. Fremantle had enjoyed enormous draft concessions and draft priorities, but look what they've done - nothing. Draft concessions doesn't = success. Fremantle is badly coached, there's some scouting/management problems in that organisation. Look at Brisbane, they've had Leigh Matthews as coach. Possible the greatest coach ever. He broke the hoodoo for Collingwood, when not even Tom Hafey could, who won multiple flags with Richmond. Leigh Matthews and what he brings, the personnel he brings, the way he runs a club, etc, has a lot more to do with it. If Leigh was signed up by Fremantle tomorrow. Give him 3 years and he would turn that club upside-down, instill a success-mentality, find the right players, scout the right juniors, insist on the right assistant coaches, and they'd win flags.

Malthouse is an excellent coach, he got Collingwood into 2 Grand Finals, and only lost out to a superior coaching/organisational structure of Leigh Matthews. If Leigh wasn't coaching, Brisbane would not have gone deep into the finals. Collingwood would probably have faced Port Adelaide and Sydney in those Grand Finals.
Lets call a spade a spade, Brisbane do exactly what we do, we dont pay players more to compensate the cost of living in Sydney anymore than Brisbane pay their players extra to retain them.... we both squeeze extra players into our cap that the other 14 clubs cant... Dont get me wrong, I'm happy to take it, but not stupid enough to kid myself it was superior coaching by Matthews or Roos

And you still have'nt told us who you barrack for

I think Paul Roos had the biggest hand in Sydney's recent success...the finals performances and the 2005 Grand Final win. His coaching style, his acquistion of players suited to his style of play, his way of running that club, his training methods, etc, all had the biggest hand in why Sydney got over the line, which is just how they did it, they crawled over the line with 'over-coached' style of play.

I can be a little more objective about this being a South Melbourne supporter

It doesn't take a genius to see the AFL needed to manufacture premierships for the 2 rugby states to build a supporter base, I'm happy to benefit from it but other supporters will always have an asterix next to those flags and there is not much we can say about it

Bloodz said:
Lets call a spade a spade, Brisbane do exactly what we do, we dont pay players more to compensate the cost of living in Sydney anymore than Brisbane pay their players extra to retain them.... we both squeeze extra players into our cap that the other 14 clubs cant... Dont get me wrong, I'm happy to take it, but not stupid enough to kid myself it was superior coaching by Matthews or Roos

You can apologise as much as you like for Sydney Swans wiining a Flag but don't apologise on my behalf for our 3.

You can't be happy to "take it but".

You are either happy or you are not.

Make up your mind you twit.

luthor said:
You can apologise as much as you like for Sydney Swans wiining a Flag but don't apologise on my behalf for our 3.

You can't be happy to "take it but".

You are either happy or you are not.

Make up your mind you twit.
Welcome to the real world where the predominant colour is...... grey

And the fact that you are so sensitive about the AFL generated flags says far more than I could ;)

Bloodz said:
I can be a little more objective about this being a South Melbourne supporter

It doesn't take a genius to see the AFL needed to manufacture premierships for the 2 rugby states to build a supporter base, I'm happy to benefit from it but other supporters will always have an asterix next to those flags and there is not much we can say about it

OOOh... ALERT! ALERT! ......deep seated inferiority complex in evidence.

Asterisks don't bother me sunshine.

Not much we can say about it eh?

How about.....(in the words of the great Martin Pike)

"WE ARE PREMIERS.....................so get ********"

You ARE Eddie Macguire, aren't you?

luthor said:
OOOh... ALERT! ALERT! ......deep seated inferiority complex in evidence.

Asterisks don't bother me sunshine.

Not much we can say about it eh?

How about.....(in the words of the great Martin Pike)

"WE ARE PREMIERS.....................so get ********"

You ARE Eddie Macguire, aren't you?
Methinks he doth protest too much

Bloodz said:
Welcome to the real world where the predominant colour is...... grey

And the fact that you are so sensitive about the AFL generated flags says far more than I could ;)

I'm not sensitive at all.

I've "taken" them all (all 3) and i'm revelling in it....no hangups here sunshine.

No shades of grey for me.....it's all Black and White ;)

You're losing the plot a bit, Bloodz. You're arguments or comments are all over the shop. One minute you're declaring a literal black-white separation between Collingwood's success and now you're declaring the real world is grey. The real world, therefore, being grey, would indicate that the Brisbane Lions are justfiably top ranked team, given their 9 years, while Port's 9 years doesn't rank higher, Fremantle's 11 ranks very low, and the other expansion teams are all ranked lower given the success or lack of it they've managed to achieve so far. And that give the Brisbane Lions another 20 years of existance and the 'real world grey' would see those glowing stats watered-down. The 'real world grey' would also see Collingwood's 109 years ranked 2nd, just at the moment, as those ranking stats indicate. The 'real world grey' compares teams 109 years old vs 9 years old and finds a 'grey' way to compare them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pale_rider said:
You're losing the plot a bit, Bloodz. You're arguments or comments are all over the shop. One minute you're declaring a literal black-white separation between Collingwood's success and now you're declaring the real world is grey. The real world, therefore, being grey, would indicate that the Brisbane Lions are justfiably top ranked team, given their 9 years, while Port's 9 years doesn't rank higher, Fremantle's 11 ranks very low, and the other expansion teams are all ranked lower given the success or lack of it they've managed to achieve so far. And that give the Brisbane Lions another 20 years of existance and the 'real world grey' would see those glowing stats watered-down. The 'real world grey' would also see Collingwood's 109 years ranked 2nd, just at the moment, as those ranking stats indicate. The 'real world grey' compares teams 109 years old vs 9 years old and finds a 'grey' way to compare them.
You didn't find a way to do anything, they are laughable, i wont see them in the official AFL records book because it is so ludicrous, you spent your evening on a w@nkfest... quiet night on tv?

Not at all, Bloodz. But you're continued ludicrous and childish comments only keep cementing a poor perception of you, and a fairly narrow minded and stagnated thought-process in your contribution to discussions. I'm only new here, but I could guess that most of your 270 posts reflect this observation.

But hey, say what you want, think what you like. I wasn't after people only to agree with the rankings, to agree with me. I'm just providing some AFL related stats for talking point. Cheap shots from a narrow-minded weak charactered person are water off a duck's back. So have fun giggling with yourself at those lame retorts.

When you get back to the topic, and properly discuss rankings, teams, draft concessions, etc, with more sincerity, then you'll get proper discussion back.

pale_rider said:
Not at all, Bloodz. But you're continued ludicrous and childish comments only keep cementing a poor perception of you, and a fairly narrow minded and stagnated thought-process in your contribution to discussions. I'm only new here, but I could guess that most of your 270 posts reflect this observation.

But hey, say what you want, think what you like. I wasn't after people only to agree with the rankings, to agree with me. I'm just providing some AFL related stats for talking point. Cheap shots from a narrow-minded weak charactered person are water off a duck's back. So have fun giggling with yourself at those lame retorts.

When you get back to the topic, and properly discuss rankings, teams, draft concessions, etc, with more sincerity, then you'll get proper discussion back.
Pffft... just enjoyed Trump on the warpath firing 2 employees... i mean 15 minutes to get to a meeting in New York? even in sleepy hollow they wouldn't fall for that.... anyway, far more entertaining than you clowns and the cooked book numbers :D

pale_rider said:
There is no topic, they are clown numbers, only thing missing is the floppy shoes

Bloodz said:
Pffft... just enjoyed Trump on the warpath firing 2 employees... i mean 15 minutes to get to a meeting in New York? even in sleepy hollow they wouldn't fall for that.... anyway, far more entertaining than you clowns and the cooked book numbers :D

thats the final straw...anyone who watches that show is insane :thumbsdown:

pale_rider said:
You couldn't even get the math right... and Port Power is a more successful club than Essendon over time??? you're kidding me right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ranking most successful vfl/afl teams....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back