Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: top 10 leagues outside AFL in Victoria

agree most havent had ballerat in the top 10 but i know somebody from sunbury and from my info aren't a bad side at all plus great facilties

keeping the VFL out of the question my top 10 would be
1.goulburn valley
2. ovens and murrey
3. eastern football league
4.a grade ammos
5.geelong football league
6.essendon district
7.diamond valley
8.mpnfl
9.ballerat
10.west gippy

Spot on GO DONS. the GV is the best league out of all them by a mile. u hit the nail on the head

Really hard to rate them but ive played footy in the BFL and GV and would have to say that the GV is a clear cut above the BFL, quite easily as well.

1. GV,O&M,EFL
2. A Grade Ammos, GFL
3. DVFL, MPNFL
4. EDFL, B Grade Ammos
5. BFL, WRFL, Bellarine, West Gippslans

you could go on forever.

Surely the GFL is the strongest league in country vic. VCFL squad and final team contained more GFL players than any other league and that was when other leagues didn't want them in because they didn't want to play interleague. Colbert didn't care becuase he know without the GFL players the VCFL would have got pumped by ACT. Come and watch a GFL game. Ask VFL footballers playing at Geelong who get dropped to GFL club to play. Can't get a kick. South Barwon would be the best country team by 5 or 6 goals PLUS.

spot on bruman...

you other blokes are jokers the GFL is a class above the rest and is easily best standard league apart from VFL in the state and those who disagree have not had a close enough look...

I believe the Ballarat league is being left by the wayside..now im not saying its the best but its been highly overlooked. Ive played in both GVL and the BFL and there is not a whole lot of a difference. Yes GV is stronger on a whole but Ballarats top two sides (redan- east point) would match it with any team in the GV and also victoria. quality outfits .lets try squeeze the BFL down in a number 9 or 10 position...not forgetting the BFL beat the GV in this years carnival..

pull your head in master...

sth barwon in the geelong league (or any other top 5-7 team) would pump redan at full strength by a long long way...

Ive played my fair share of footy (interleague rep) and seen a few of the leagues over the years and this is how I would rate them:
1. Eastern
2. VAFA A grade
3. Ovens & Murray
4. Goulburn Valley
5. Geelong
6. Diamond Valley
7. Mornington Peninsula
8. West Gippsland-Latrobe
9. Ballarat
10. VAFA B grade

Eastern Footy League top team would belt any GV, O& M or Geelong side.
Have a truck load of quality in th league

Eastern Footy League top team would belt any GV, O& M or Geelong side.
Have a truck load of quality in th league

Mate you have just lost any credability you might have had with that idotic comment.
Consider this, Euroa missed out on finals this year in the GV, I believe something like 14 or 15 of them have played senior VFL/AFL over a period of time. Rory Hilton,Shane Clayton,Shannon Gibson,Damon White,Hayden Lamaro,Mark Clayton,Daniel Sage and the list can go on, I believe they finsihed 7th or 8th. I would hate to see what a side from GV who finished 7th or so would do to a side in the EFL finishing 7th??.

I have no doubts that the EFL is on a smiliur level but I would happily take a Yarrawonga or Seymour over a Vermont any day of the week.

Mate you have just lost any credability you might have had with that idotic comment.
Consider this, Euroa missed out on finals this year in the GV, I believe something like 14 or 15 of them have played senior VFL/AFL over a period of time. Rory Hilton,Shane Clayton,Shannon Gibson,Damon White,Hayden Lamaro,Mark Clayton,Daniel Sage and the list can go on, I believe they finsihed 7th or 8th. I would hate to see what a side from GV who finished 7th or so would do to a side in the EFL finishing 7th??.

I have no doubts that the EFL is on a smiliur level but I would happily take a Yarrawonga or Seymour over a Vermont any day of the week.

Yeah - but few of those Euroa boys would train 1/10th as hard or be anywhere near as fit as when they were vying for AFL/VFL spots. Shannon Gibson can't even train his body is completely shot and Sage would be 10-15kgs heavier than when he was in his prime,

I'd take a fit a firing local GVFL or EFL top liner over most of the 'ring-ins' who proliferate those leagues.

You dont seem to understand that Vermont have bigger pockets than Seymour and own a pub and gamingfacility which is "community based" This means all profits go to Vermont. Comment about Euroa is players based after their prime and as such would be a fair assumption why they didnt make finals.
Vermont has 12 players off AFL lists, Noble Park has about 8 and they are 22-26 not 28-32. Makes a huge difference.

I have watched Seymour for the last 2 years with their VFL based players and I believe Vermont or Noble would still roll them. They play different style and Eastern is very fast,skillfull and not extremely physical. GV love nothing more than hard and tuff and its skilfull.

By the way whe was the last time you saw a game to make the comparison between GVFL and EFL??

You dont seem to understand that Vermont have bigger pockets than Seymour and own a pub and gamingfacility which is "community based" This means all profits go to Vermont. Comment about Euroa is players based after their prime and as such would be a fair assumption why they didnt make finals.
Vermont has 12 players off AFL lists, Noble Park has about 8 and they are 22-26 not 28-32. Makes a huge difference.

I have watched Seymour for the last 2 years with their VFL based players and I believe Vermont or Noble would still roll them. They play different style and Eastern is very fast,skillfull and not extremely physical. GV love nothing more than hard and tuff and its skilfull.

By the way whe was the last time you saw a game to make the comparison between GVFL and EFL??

Hi Mate,

Played GV this year, and have a few mates at Donvale and Vermont, watched Vermont and Noble Park earlier in the year. Wouldnt say that the footy is more open or quicker because from I could see the GV is alot more open and the EFL is a bit more physical but fair.

Benalla vs Vermont or a Seymour vs Noble Park would be a ripping game, I have no doubt that the it would be a 50 50 match. What im saying is I think a run of the mill GV side would probably have the wood over the EFL side. This is purely based on players as I havent seen enough EFL.

The GVs depth is fantastic, consider that a Tatura who finsihed last defeated Moroopana with the Karl Normans,Blake abd Brad Campbells,Derek Halls, Balraj Singhs all of whom played AFL by 7 goals.

Mate I rate the EFL on par with the GV no doubt at all I would just probably perfer the mid to bottom sides over the EFLs.

cheers

I know its hard to guage pre-season games given that you never know how strong the sides are (and if the best players are actually on the field). But Noble park got thrashed when they played Wodonga Raiders (O&M) in a practice match for the 2006 season.

As a side note the Raiders finished bottom in the O&M.

For my 2 cents having been involved with the GV & O&M, i would say that most of the top leagues such as the ones you have been talking always have 20-30 players that are champions and therefore can beat the other leagues on any given day.

For me its would be great to see how far the depth really goes in these leagues - like playing those interleague players ranked 60-90.

Its always hard to know who is the strongest anyway given that a lot of the best O&M players over the last 3-4 years have moved away for big money in the WAFL, SANFL, ACTFL or QAFL. But im sure the O&M isnt alone there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macca.

Many will dispute as they played or watched 2, 3 or 5 years ago.

Essendon District has sky rocketed over the past 2 or 3 years.

FACT!!!

I've played major leagues and a grades in 5 different comps and found Essendon District to be the most challenging and enjoyable week in and week out....if your not on the job you'll struggle!

I've played major leagues and a grades in 5 different comps and found Essendon District to be the most challenging and enjoyable week in and week out....if your not on the job you'll struggle!
First read of thread and thought i'd add my two cents worth. Played A grade ammo's when first at uni 15 years ago, 8-10 years o and m and some murray league. O and M would eat ammo's any day of week. Not sure about it now but back then simple body size would have got over the top of the am's. Played a fair bit with blokes who had a couple of years GV and returned home. Thier comment was depth. Top 5 teams in GV would compete with O and M but rest dropped away quickly. This was 7-8 years ago now though. Think GV has picked up a lot since then and O and M probably dropped away a bit. As mentioned - real depth is what players 10-20 are like, not each clubs top 3. Murray league way back from either.

First read of thread and thought i'd add my two cents worth. Played A grade ammo's when first at uni 15 years ago, 8-10 years o and m and some murray league. O and M would eat ammo's any day of week. Not sure about it now but back then simple body size would have got over the top of the am's. Played a fair bit with blokes who had a couple of years GV and returned home. Thier comment was depth. Top 5 teams in GV would compete with O and M but rest dropped away quickly. This was 7-8 years ago now though. Think GV has picked up a lot since then and O and M probably dropped away a bit. As mentioned - real depth is what players 10-20 are like, not each clubs top 3. Murray league way back from either.
Would love to see the O&M or the GVFl Take on the Canberra rep side. very strong league in Canberra although they don't have the crowd support. Different style of football

Found it!

Don't think you can ever compare the leagues, too many variables, bit like comparing the Bradman's invincibles with the current Aussie side, impossible.

Really couldn't give a toss about where the VAFA is rated, most blokes are decent and play for the right reasons unlike the money hungry pigs who rape cash starved clubs year after year.
Have you ever thought that $$ is the reason why the majority of VCFL leagues are in rapid decline.....?
You mean to say that back room deals and jobs for the boys are a thing of the past in ammos footy these days?! Whatever happened to the tradition of sorting players out with jobs, houses, sponsors, etc?

You mean to say that back room deals and jobs for the boys are a thing of the past in ammos footy these days?! Whatever happened to the tradition of sorting players out with jobs, houses, sponsors, etc?
na now it's just pools and pergolas

look fellas, the best league outside the afl is.... the mallee league. Thats only because a top player by the name of Kim Hallam plays there. Other wise it would be second best. That is all.

Rory Hilton is going to play C grade Ammos, so will be interesting to see how he goes. I understand your point tige19, however think you are way off the mark re Yarrawonga etc v Vermont. Vermont, Noble Park, OX and OH from the ammos would give most VFL teams a run. I cannot see Yarrawonga or Seymour beating them. It is all amoot point as they never play each other. I t would be great every four years to have a state clubs carnival with 20 teams in 2 divisions playing a knockout/round robin tournament.

As someone previously said, i do not think the ammo clubs would be as strong as the top sides from GV,Geelong and O&M. You really have to see a side like Seymour to appreciate how good they are, same goes for Yarrawonga. I have had 2 preety close mates play with Uni blues and have seen them play many times over the past few years (uni blues constantly being a top ammos side) and i can tell you that you are living in a fantasy world if you think they could even compete with a VFL club. Seymour honestly would pull there pants down, they are just the most coomplete side i have seen at local side just about ever, along with Sunbury probably around the 2002 mark when they where dominating and Greenvales side from 2003, throw in Strathmoores 2007 side especially if they do the 3peat.

All very good sides, and football clubs id take ahead of 99% of ammo sides.

just my opinion.

cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate / Rank The Leagues - Yes its the unwinnable argument!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back