Ratten gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo has mucho dislike for MM. I don't see him holding back.

Oh, I wrote that wrong. I meant Whateley, who went off crook at Lyon for pursuing job that already had a contracted coach in the role.

And Whateley likes Malthouse, which makes it interesting.

I wonder how many people in here are just sticking their boot in because they hate Carlton, as compared to genuinely feeling sorry for Brett Ratten

How dare you, sir! Why, this genuine outpouring of emotion for Ratten is very much cut from the same cloth as the sympathy for Knights, and has nothing to do with hatred of either club. No, not at all.

Brett Hasn't been sacked. He has just been moved into a new role to coach the football team made up from the brown paper bag factory workers at Visy. They will look to play in the Northern Football League in 2013.

I wonder how many people in here are just sticking their boot in because they hate Carlton, as compared to genuinely feeling sorry for Brett Ratten
I don't feel sorry for Ratten given his ascension to the throne just as I didn't feel sorry for Mark Harvey when Fremantle replaced him with a better coach in Ross Lyon. That's the nature of cutthroat industries; they are dog eat dog. Personally, they are tough times for the ego of that person but they'll rebound and find employment elsewhere.

As for Carlton, the only issue becomes one of PR. You can never blame a club wanting to upgrade any position.

Lor Nicholson answered that question appropriately.
You don't know the day to day running on the inside. Is there a decent way to handle this?
Despite a 53% win rate, unfortunately, it roughly the same win rate against GC. Also, it's not one bad loss, it's a loss that is a result of of what has built up there, it's a loss that reflects on Ratten weakness as the head coach of the team.
yes that is the opinion of you and the Carlton board but I don't agree. I know you don't care what I think but it shows the fundamental dishonesty which has stained Carlton for many many years. I don't expect you to agree but who cares.

If this is how Ratten goes out, it is disrespectful form from CFC. At least deserves to coach out the season and face the purported end of season review. I cannot see the benefit of having the board meeting to decide his fate this week, as opposed to next week.

The GC loss is significant not because GC is a young, inexperienced side, but because it is the loss that condemned Carlton to miss the finals. If horrible losses were the sole cause for a sacking, it would have come after the Port match.

Arguably, Carlton's injuries have not been more significant than Collingwood's or West Coast's, yet it has certainly not performed to satisfactory standards - standards heightened after its 2011 campaign. It may be that 2011 saw CFC at its maximum capacity, and the injuries have stripped it from 5th to 9-11th, making any expectation for a finals appearance optimistic and unwarranted.

The troubling aspect of this drama is that the man has a further year of contract to run. The finger must be pointed at the board, and an explanation given as to why such confidence was placed in the man last year if that confidence is now wholly diminished. Whilst disappointing, I would argue that the CFC season has not been catastrophic to the core. 2012 ought to have been a consolidation year, finishing from 3-6th, but 2013 would have told the story.

How can you feel sorry for Ratten? It's a professional sport and results mean everything. He deserved to get sacked and the way that it has been done is fine. Carlton want results and Ratten delivered them zero in his time there. Good luck on the club trying to peruse Malthouse. No room for loyalty in this business. Carlton gave this guy 5 yrs!!!!!! Ratten should be wrapped he lasted that long.

There is no dishonesty down at Visy Park. I would be being dishonest if I was lying and I nor the Navy Blues have never been dishonest.
except for systematic cheating of the cap , briberty and copruption of justice.

I guess tanking as well

but hey - whats the back stabbing of a coach between friends - you just havent had the guts to came out yet.

How can you feel sorry for Ratten? It's a professional sport and results mean everything. He deserved to get sacked and the way that it has been done is fine. Carlton want results and Ratten delivered them zero in his time there. Good luck on the club trying to peruse Malthouse. No room for loyalty in this business. Carlton gave this guy 5 yrs!!!!!! Ratten should be wrapped he lasted that long.
they need outside blood not tainted by their corrupt culture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, but Ratten sacked, press conference at 9:30am this morning.
Why sack a coach with one game to spare?

Because if you're going to sack him, you don't drag him through the streets and the misery of coaching a game that has no bearing on his job.

Still not buying that he'll coach against St Kilda. Richardson will step in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratten gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back