Preview Rd 1 - Prematch Discussion - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - 7:50 Fri 30/3/12 MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
We are less than a week out from our season opener so its time to get our first prematch discussion thread up for the 2012 AFL season. It's been a long offseason with more than a few hiccups along the way so its a relief to see the real stuff begin.

Possible line ups

Collingwood:

B: Toovey, Reid, OBrien
HB: Shaw, Tarrant, Maxwell
C: Clarke, Swan, Thomas
HF: Sidebottom, Cloke, Fasolo
F: Paine, Dawes, Blair
R: Jolly, Ball, Pendlebury
I: Goldsack, Young, Rounds Sub: Seedsman
E: Elliott, Yagmoor, Keeffe

Hawthorn:

B: Guerra, Boumann, Gibson
HB: Birchall, Schoenmakers, Stratton
C: Lewis, Hodge, Smith
HF: Burgoyne, Franklin, Gunston
F: Rioli, Hale, Puopolo
R: McCauley, Mitchell, Sewell
I: Suckling, Shiels, Bruest Sub: Savage
E: Ellis, Osborne, Bateman

Key match ups:

Franklin vs Tarrant - I think Tarrant has made a late charge this preseason and is in line to come into the 22 to get the big job on Franklin. It's a big ask with an underdone preseason but he just needs to get the job done in the F50. Has good form on Franklin and we'll need that to continue because if Franklin gets off the leash its a good chance it'll be curtains for us.

Reid vs Hale - Hale is an underated forward option and Reid will need to put away the demons of a poor grand final day. Reid has the height and ability to go with Hale. It'll be great to see Reid out there without the impediment of injury.

Jolly vs McCauley - This is our big advantage in this game. Jolly has worked himself into imposing form and will be looking to demolish McCauley in what looks a weak ruck division for Hawthorn. We'll need as many hitouts to advantage as possible in the midfield which looks like a cracking battle.

Cloke vs Shoey - I don't think there is a more imposing forward in the game right now. Brown when he is fit maybe. We will be looking to Cloke to have a big game and he should on Shoey. Hawthorn will be looking at getting Gibson, Stratton and the rest of the defense across to help out. This is where we need Paine and Dawes to be dangerous options in their own right to give the Hawks defense something to think about.

Ball vs Mitchell - A can't remember the ammount of times Mitchell has taken a game of footy away from us. In Ball we have someone to compete in the guts head to head and we will be looking for a big game from Ball to put his head over it and quell Mitchells influence around stoppages.

With our injuries its apparent we lack depth but it creates a great opportunity for some new blood such as Paine, Rounds, Young and Seedsman. It'll be interesting to see our final 22 actually as we still don't know which way Buckley will go. Thats the most exciting thing about this game for mine is the change in terms of personnel and tactics that we will see under Buckley. We are issuing in a new era of the club and I for one am really excited to see where it takes us.

Why are people putting Young & Seedsman ahead of Yagmoor?

Thought Yagmoor has shown the most poise and skill out of the 3 of them during the NAB cup.

Need those silky skills against the Hawks.

Thats a fairly decent starting 18
Though barring Goldsack, thats is a very,very weak and in expierence bench.
I hope 1 or 2 of the seniors that played on Friday come up.

Why are people putting Young & Seedsman ahead of Yagmoor?

Thought Yagmoor has shown the most poise and skill out of the 3 of them during the NAB cup.

Need those silky skills against the Hawks.

Yags and Seedsman was a toss up for me. I think Seedsmans class put him over the line for me. I think Young is ahead of both but he seems to divide opinion.

Thats a fairly decent starting 18
Though barring Goldsack, thats is a very,very weak and in expierence bench.
I hope 1 or 2 of the seniors that played on Friday come up.

It would be nice if say Johnson got up. Just that little bit of extra run and experience but i'd only play him if fit. That goes for Tarrant too. I'm assuming he is fit. If he isn't Keeffe should come in.

We are less than a week out from our season opener so its time to get our first prematch discussion thread up for the 2012 AFL season. It's been a long offseason with more than a few hiccups along the way so its a relief to see the real stuff begin.

Possible line ups

Collingwood:

Hawthorn:

Key match ups:

Franklin vs Tarrant - I think Tarrant has made a late charge this preseason and is in line to come into the 22 to get the big job on Franklin. It's a big ask with an underdone preseason but he just needs to get the job done in the F50. Has good form on Franklin and we'll need that to continue because if Franklin gets off the leash its a good chance it'll be curtains for us.

Reid vs Hale - Hale is an underated forward option and Reid will need to put away the demons of a poor grand final day. Reid has the height and ability to go with Hale. It'll be great to see Reid out there without the impediment of injury.

Jolly vs McCauley - This is our big advantage in this game. Jolly has worked himself into imposing form and will be looking to demolish McCauley in what looks a weak ruck division for Hawthorn. We'll need as many hitouts to advantage as possible in the midfield which looks like a cracking battle.

Cloke vs Shoey - I don't think there is a more imposing forward in the game right now. Brown when he is fit maybe. We will be looking to Cloke to have a big game and he should on Shoey. Hawthorn will be looking at getting Gibson, Stratton and the rest of the defense across to help out. This is where we need Paine and Dawes to be dangerous options in their own right to give the Hawks defense something to think about.

Ball vs Mitchell - A can't remember the ammount of times Mitchell has taken a game of footy away from us. In Ball we have someone to compete in the guts head to head and we will be looking for a big game from Ball to put his head over it and quell Mitchells influence around stoppages.

With our injuries its apparent we lack depth but it creates a great opportunity for some new blood such as Paine, Rounds, Young and Seedsman. It'll be interesting to see our final 22 actually as we still don't know which way Buckley will go. Thats the most exciting thing about this game for mine is the change in terms of personnel and tactics that we will see under Buckley. We are issuing in a new era of the club and I for one am really excited to see where it takes us.

Very good effort there, both teams look just about right. If Ellis Ozzie and Bateman can't crack it for a game right now, then we are doing not to bad.

I would be shocked if we won. I can't see it but if Tarrant can play I think we will be a chance.

Very good effort there, both teams look just about right. If Ellis Ozzie and Bateman can't crack it for a game right now, then we are doing not to bad.

You have good depth in your smalls. I'd be worried about your ruck stocks and lack of a top class key defender. Big holes in the side but still a class class unit.

You have good depth in your smalls. I'd be worried about your ruck stocks and lack of a top class key defender. Big holes in the side but still a class class unit.

Defense is defenitly still a worry for us. Lack of big men will eventually hurt us. It did in the QF and the 4th Quarter of the PF. But at the same time I'm confident our defense can still hold up well together. When Gilham comes back he will make a difference. Our rucks while not great, I reckon they are very underated. Bailey/Hale is a decent combo. While they lack class & polish like some other ruckmens, they are more then servicable. This game will be win & lost in the midfield. Which ever midfield gets on top will probably win this game. I don't know about everyone else but I'm not that confident heading into Friday night. We are not certain to win like some people are saying, 50/50 at best. Should be a great specticle. :thumbsu:

I mentioned in anothee thread that if taz does not play, the key is to win the ruck and midfield battle to stop the supply to buddy. Hopefully taz does get up.

On a sidenote, i am thinking of coming down for the game from syd with a couple of mates. Would we be able to get semi decent tickets at the gate or should we pre-book. Thanks in advance.

The news about Beams not being available (from Maxwell via DT talk) magnifies the loss of Wellingham to stupidity, and makes our chances of winning this more remote.

But it's not mission impossible, ignore all pre season form, and look at what is on paper, no, look at what's going to be on the field, and we still have a ton of class in the probable selected side.

We will have more of a higher variable rate compared to the Hawks in regards to what our performance output will be, due to the inclusion of 2-4 young and promising players, but outside of those 2-4 players, we still have 18-20 high class senior footballers.

We are still a chance of winning this game, mainly because of the class that exists at the higher level, we simply have more talent at the elite level then they do IMO.

The one intangible no one on here, or no expert can measure is desire and heart, and in their first official game under Nathan Buckley, our boys will as Maxy put it after the Grand Final draw "go to war" for each other and their new coach.

As I've said all along, if we lose, it will be by a single figure margin, no more, which gives us a chance still.:)

I never saw Seedsman play, does he really warrant a round 1 selection?
On exposed form, no. On potential, yes.

Yagmoor had a better pre season then him, but Seeds has a year extra of senior footy (all be it half a year in the VFL) under his belt.

If it comes down to a selection between Seeds or Yagz, I reckon Bucks will go with Yagz, just my opinion.

But both will play plenty of senior games, they are part of the "famous four or five" Bucks stated in the Age article yesterday that we need to come through to assist us in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Really sure where I stand on this Game. At the Moment I am 50/50 on the Result.

Though I could say IF we kick Straight we would be a Good Chance and IF we don't we are next to no hope

I'd take it a step further in that like us they lack KPF depth, except they're probably even worse off!

For the good of the competition I hope nothing happens to him, but if Buddy goes down the only key forward options they have are a guy Who's on the small side for a key forward and with less than 20 games experience in Gunstan and a bloke coming off a ruptured achilles.

I'd take it a step further in that like us they lack KPF depth, except they're probably even worse off!

For the good of the competition I hope nothing happens to him, but if Buddy goes down the only key forward options they have are a guy Who's on the small side for a key forward and with less than 20 games experience in Gunstan and a bloke coming off a ruptured achilles.
Roughy's good to go may be a bit rusty to start with but he will more than handy for us this year. It's interesting to note the comments about talent in this thread time will tell ;)

Roughy's good to go may be a bit rusty to start with but he will more than handy for us this year. It's interesting to note the comments about talent in this thread time will tell ;)

Heard he was Injured Today in the VFL

The news about Beams not being available (from Maxwell via DT talk) magnifies the loss of Wellingham to stupidity, and makes our chances of winning this more remote.

But it's not mission impossible, ignore all pre season form, and look at what is on paper, no, look at what's going to be on the field, and we still have a ton of class in the probable selected side.

We will have more of a higher variable rate compared to the Hawks in regards to what our performance output will be, due to the inclusion of 2-4 young and promising players, but outside of those 2-4 players, we still have 18-20 high class senior footballers.

We are still a chance of winning this game, mainly because of the class that exists at the higher level, we simply have more talent at the elite level then they do IMO.

The one intangible no one on here, or no expert can measure is desire and heart, and in their first official game under Nathan Buckley, our boys will as Maxy put it after the Grand Final draw "go to war" for each other and their new coach.

As I've said all along, if we lose, it will be by a single figure margin, no more, which gives us a chance still.:)
id say its about even in regards to talent, skill levels are on a par as well, nothing between both teams which is why we are the teams to beat this year.

Just for once id like to get injuries to players we can afford to lose such as half forwards, half backs or mids, its always rucks and KPP's with us. Gives the false impression we dont have good KPP depth when its actually decent, id say you guys have less ruck depth than us but what you do have is better, jolly goes down you guys are in trouble however imo.

Possible line ups

Collingwood:

Hawthorn:

Key match ups:

i think you will find boumann will get 1st crack at cloke, clarko rates this guy and could be the suprise packet for us this year is basically a gibson clone but is 8cm taller and more athletic, has a huge leap on him which will help in trying to spoil cloke when he goes for the pack marks. Schoey will get dawes again, contrary to alot of people's opinion actually did a good job on dawes in the prelim despite conceding 3 goals and is primed this year to have a breakout year imo like ben reid did for you guys in 2010, has looked very impressive in the NAB cup. Gibson as the 3rd tall automatically makes him a much more influential player for us than the prelim when he had to guard cloke and than you have stratton as well floating around down there, our key backs are decent this year and we have depth (gilham still has to come back in).

Clarko will put hale into rucking against jolly, he needs to be 1st ruck for this game imo, there no way we can allow macauley to go against him the majority of the time at this stage of his career, that will mean gunston becomes the 2nd forward which im happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back