Ryan McDonald Hughes
Clark Pearce Aish
O'Driscoll Serong Johnson
Switkowski Jackson Frederick
Treacy Amiss Walters
Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe

With the following the first off the bench:
Young, Emmett, O'Meara, Worner

I think that gives a good indication at our round 1 line up based on coach preference and player fitness. Obviously expect a couple of changed there too.
I think JLo in his presser said that next week will give an indication of what is considerd best available 23.

No way all of Fyfe, OMeara and Brodie play.

Would choose Fyfe, Erasmus and Simpson. Brodie has serious doubt to play competitive AFL. His form/game isn’t there all of a sudden
I'm not the biggest O'Meara fan but I don't understand those who put Erasmus in front of him at the moment.
Nothing I saw in that practice match or last year made Erasmus more valuable.

If we had more classy kicks in the team I think O'Meara would be in trouble, but as it is it's mainly Sturt and O'Meara with good delivery, and Sturt's position still looks shakey.

I'm not the biggest O'Meara fan but I don't understand those who put Erasmus in front of him at the moment.
Nothing I saw in that practice match or last year made Erasmus more valuable.

If we had more classy kicks in the team I think O'Meara would be in trouble, but as it is it's mainly Sturt and O'Meara with good delivery, and Sturt's position still looks shakey.
Those back to back JOM and Sturt deliveries I50 were great to watch and Amiss on the end of both. It looks like such a simple game when the ball carrier puts it exactly where the forward wants it.

Tough team to pick. Assuming Cox, Chapman still injured and no further injuries then:

Wagner-McDonald-Ryan
Aish-Pearce-Clark
Sharp-Fyfe-Brayshaw
Freddy-Treacy-Emmett
Walters-Amiss-Jackson

Darcy-Young-Serong

Switta-Johnson-JOM-Erasmus-NOD

JLo will prob find a spot for Hughes though.

There is going to be some very unlucky players come round 1.

Tough team to pick. Assuming Cox, Chapman still injured and no further injuries then:

Wagner-McDonald-Ryan
Aish-Pearce-Clark
Sharp-Fyfe-Brayshaw
Freddy-Treacy-Emmett
Walters-Amiss-Jackson

Darcy-Young-Serong

Switta-Johnson-JOM-Erasmus-NOD

JLo will prob find a spot for Hughes though.

There is going to be some very unlucky players come round 1.
Need another back, we always play 7, Walker, Worner or Hughes, Ras probably gets moved to Sub.

No way all of Fyfe, OMeara and Brodie play.

Would choose Fyfe, Erasmus and Simpson. Brodie has serious doubt to play competitive AFL. His form/game isn’t there all of a sudden
Brodie showed again last night that he knows how to find the ball, I can see him being the sub to manage Fyfe’s minutes without losing a midfield brute.

I think others should be selected ahead of JOM but the selection panel seems to rate him.

Brodie showed again last night that he knows how to find the ball, I can see him being the sub to manage Fyfe’s minutes without losing a midfield brute.

I think others should be selected ahead of JOM but the selection panel seems to rate him.
Just can’t see how the team benefits from all 3.
Has to be 2 max. JOM shouldn’t be in the team unless forced. He’s 31. I’d blood Johnson and Erasmus otherwise we may lose them

Need another back, we always play 7, Walker, Worner or Hughes, Ras probably gets moved to Sub.
Hughes as the safe bet.
Walker will need match fitness.

That backline v Brisbane is less than ideal.
Walker on Charlie Cameron and Cox v Hipwood as certainties. McDonald will have his work cut out for him

Will be a tough match first up

Just can’t see how the team benefits from all 3.
Has to be 2 max. JOM shouldn’t be in the team unless forced. He’s 31. I’d blood Johnson and Erasmus otherwise we may lose them
He just turned 30 on Fri. Anyway JOM played well and showed what some class with i50 entries can create.

Brodie for mine is still outside the 23. Potentially the sub I guess.

JOM , I feel will be an important player for us in 2024. Just adds that composure and class with ball in hand. His experience in a young side also is underrated.

Agree , at this stage not getting the pill enough, and I get the criticism of 2023.

Doesn’t apply enough pressure, will need to run end to end as an outside mid and I’m not sure he has the tank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hughes as the safe bet.
Walker will need match fitness.

That backline v Brisbane is less than ideal.
Walker on Charlie Cameron and Cox v Hipwood as certainties. McDonald will have his work cut out for him

Will be a tough match first up
Especially since they will have a game under their belt already.

Ludicrous state of affairs.

We will beat Lions round 1.

We go alright against them.
Duff was talking about that game to somebody (former player) and they mentioned how round 2 is always the hardest to get up for. So if we come out firing and the Lions come off a tough one against the Blues, we could jump them for sure.

Of course, us coming out firing is a massive if.

Duff was talking about that game to somebody (former player) and they mentioned how round 2 is always the hardest to get up for. So if we come out firing and the Lions come off a tough one against the Blues, we could jump them for sure.

I will put my nerd hat on and through recent history…correct me if I’m wrong.

We should of won against them late 23.

Performed admirably at the Gabba last year.

We beat them in a night game in 22.

The last time we played at home rd 1 was 2019!!! History shows we usually go ok at home round 1.

Us by 23

Race horses are often poor 2nd up but I don't know about footy teams. AFL teams are often poor after the bye so not sure if it helps or hinders us round 1 coming off 6 months of byes. :p

Wagner Pearce Ryan
Clark McDonald Aish
Sharp Young AB
Freddy Jackson Emmett
Walters Amiss Voss
Darcy Serong Fyfe

Johnson, Hughes, Switta & C Simpson

Sub: JOM

For mine Cox won’t be ready, AB is a winger use his post to post run, Voss over Treacy as the 3rd tall fwd, JOM gets a kick up the arse demoted to sub.

Said for months Treacy is the backup ruck/fwd. plays better up the ground. His fwd craft is awful.

So fitness/suspension permitting I think we will see:

Ryan Pearce Hughes
Aish Cox Clark
Sharp Serong O'Meara
Switkowski Treacy Frederick
Walters Amiss Jackson
Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe
Young Emmett Worner Johnson
Simpson

I always seem to forget somebody so apologies in advance.

Wagner Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Walker
Aish Young AB
Freddy Jackson Emmett
Walters Amiss Treacy
Darcy Serong Fyfe

Johnson JOM McDonald Switta

Sub: Brodie. Or Ras. Or Simpson. I can't decide.

I'm holding hope Cox is ready for Rd1 and I'm willing to give Treacy another chance just to see if he rekindles any of his magic back with the other J's.

Best I can come up with.

I think Cox gets up, just someone you play without a game under their belt. Match fitness won’t keep him out and they seem to be now comfortable with contact on the injury.

Most of the team picks itself with Noddy unavailable so probably two things that will make me upset, only one of Wagner, Clark and Walker and Simpson not at least being sub. Simpson had IT in a forward line and midfield that doesn’t have a lot of IT. Be courageous JL, play him

Wagner Pearce Ryan
Clark Cox Walker
Aish Young AB
Freddy Jackson Emmett
Walters Amiss Treacy
Darcy Serong Fyfe

Johnson JOM McDonald Switta

Sub: Brodie. Or Ras. Or Simpson. I can't decide.

I'm holding hope Cox is ready for Rd1 and I'm willing to give Treacy another chance just to see if he rekindles any of his magic back with the other J's.

Best I can come up with.
Like this but I’d put JOM to sub and bring in Brodie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Rd 1 (you know: the first round after the opening round) team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back