Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

I kind of get what you’re saying but there’s no way a winger could have run in fast enough to stop Merrett. Had young been on the defensive side of the contest by himself he may have been able to stop Merrett from having a clear run forward. But if you let him free then you risk the possibility of loosing the hit out and having it go directly to the opposition. Regardless, clearly we didn’t get the job done, which cost us two points.

It's not my opinion of what should happen. I'm just saying what I heard others in the media say. I haven't got a clue.

After Amiss kicked the goal I thought maybe we could just thump it forward for territory and have the quickest forwards Switkowski and Frederick standing on the top of the 50m circle - but even when we had Sandilands we never used that tactic.

Watching the last quarter- up by 25.
Switkowski is in the clear towards goal 30m out. Decides to chip it to Jackson who’s about the distance directly in front.
Far out. Why not have a shot on the right foot.
Its plays like these that separates teams from safe to ruthless. Almost guarantee the top players will kick the goal and nothing else.

Watching the last quarter- up by 25.
Switkowski is in the clear towards goal 30m out. Decides to chip it to Jackson who’s about the distance directly in front.
Far out. Why not have a shot on the right foot.
Its plays like these that separates teams from safe to ruthless. Almost guarantee the top players will kick the goal and nothing else.
Right in front of us
Could not believe it , was an easy kick

Like What the f*k ?!

That was a very good example of mentally weak , a warrior like Young would have just took it on his own shoulders and had a crack

Right in front of us
Could not believe it , was an easy kick

Like What the f*k ?!

That was a very good example of mentally weak , a warrior like Young would have just took it on his own shoulders and had a crack
Switta is annoying in that aspect.
Has no goal kicking awareness or ability.

Walters would’ve kicked that

Switta is annoying in that aspect.
Has no goal kicking awareness or ability.

Walters would’ve kicked that
He can be very indecisive when he is near the goals but I absolutely love having him on our team
Always gives everything he’s got
He’s my barometer for when the team does well

Bit of a confidence player though

Our players are terrible at a snapping the ball. Barely seem to make the distance from 25m out half the time. Infuriating in its consistency.

That’s the difference. We need a natural goal hungry small. Switta has never been that player. He’s just not thirsty for goals like the best small forwards.

I must admit I was only thinking go for the win at that last centre bounce and was gutted how easily they walked it out and scored. In hindsight the draw would of been massive but honestly after being up by so much with so little time left I don't know. Heard a stat that they kicked those 5 goals in only 19 touches and we didn't touch the ball once in that period. If true that's horrendous. Almost like everyone on the field collectively switched off and thought it was over.

It's frustrating that the players don't seem to have learnt anything from the 2 losses in Adelaide or the Sydney game where we got lucky in the end(McDonald should have at least scored a point from that). This was the worst of them all because the game should of been over.

I must admit I was only thinking go for the win at that last centre bounce and was gutted how easily they walked it out and scored. In hindsight the draw would of been massive but honestly after being up by so much with so little time left I don't know. Heard a stat that they kicked those 5 goals in only 19 touches and we didn't touch the ball once in that period. If true that's horrendous. Almost like everyone on the field collectively switched off and thought it was over.

It's frustrating that the players don't seem to have learnt anything from the 2 losses in Adelaide or the Sydney game where we got lucky in the end(McDonald should have at least scored a point from that). This was the worst of them all because the game should of been over.
It's the modern game a bit. Not unique to us by any stretch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still f**king pissed off, club is going to have to perform pretty well tomorrow to make up for it..

Same, we’ve had some pretty bad losses in the past that I’m usually over in a day or two, yet here we are nearly a week later and I still can’t believe we threw that one away. Maybe it’s because I expect more of this team now.

We just had to win one of, if not both of the Hawthorn and Essendon games. To implode and choke in both of those games in the way we did within a few weeks span of each other, especially considering the nature of how tight this season is and that a top 2 spot was on the line in both games, is unforgivable. Beating good teams like Sydney, Brisbane, Bulldogs will all matter for naught if we can’t win the ones we are suppose to.

3 very tough games to close out the home & away now. Geelong, GWS in Sydney, and Port. We now probably need to win all 3 given how many winnable games we’ve fumbled. At our best I think we can win all 3 but who knows what version of Freo shows up on any given gameday. The GWS game scares me the most.

Same, we’ve had some pretty bad losses in the past that I’m usually over in a day or two, yet here we are nearly a week later and I still can’t believe we threw that one away. Maybe it’s because I expect more of this team now.

We just had to win one of, if not both of the Hawthorn and Essendon games. To implode and choke in both of those games in the way we did within a few weeks span of each other, especially considering the nature of how tight this season is and that a top 2 spot was on the line in both games, is unforgivable. Beating good teams like Sydney, Brisbane, Bulldogs will all matter for naught if we can’t win the ones we are suppose to.

3 very tough games to close out the home & away now. Geelong, GWS in Sydney, and Port. We now probably need to win all 3 given how many winnable games we’ve fumbled. At our best I think we can win all 3 but who knows what version of Freo shows up on any given gameday. The GWS game scares me the most.
Need to win all three for what? To contend?

2 wins will probably be enough for finals (who knows given how tight the season is) but if we want to finish top 4 and genuinely contend we probably need to win all 3.
We are effectively 2 games ahead of Pies, Hawks and Bombers because of percentage and the draw. 2 wins will make it impossible for them to overtake us. Annoyingly, again because of percentage, even a draw on the weekend would have effectively put us 3 wins ahead of each team (short of us getting belted in all three games).

But yeah, 3 wins to contend but I honestly just want the guys playing finals. We have bottled one too many times to contend this year like you said

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back