Autopsy Rd 10 v Saints. Not good enough when it counted.

Which players do you think had a good game in Round 10 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I got balled out a couple of weeks ago for questioning our forward line structure (told Teague lauded for his success at Adelaide and that considering our fewer I50's we are doing well) but the only time it looked half decent today was when Charlie played well outside the 50 leaving just Harry and McG with more room

22-7 free kicks at 3/4 time. I think that Gill the Dill got on the phone to them at the break and told them not to make it so obvious that the AFL was ****ing us up the arse for Daisy telling the truth about their cheating ****ing umpires.

Stocker, lays a brilliant tackle... the Saints player had plenty of time to dispose of the ball and then Stocker brings him to ground, ball bounces free after they hit the ground... umpire calls play on. WTF... holding the ball every time.

Jack, trying to get up off the ground. Saints player leaning over him blocking him from getting up. 50m penalty... ****ing awesome.

4 free kicks to us not paid in the dying seconds of the first quarter.

Ball gets knocked out of Cuningham's arms, incorrect disposal. Saints players drop the ball when tackled, play on.

Dow, visibly held while trying to chase the ball... no free kick and the Aint's go forward and kick a goal... nice one. Slight brush against a Saints player... holding.. free kick to them.

You can visibly see our players stopping, looking at the umpires and going WTF!

Yes, our midfielders have gone backwards yet again under John Barker. He appears to have usurped the role of Cam Bruce as our midfield coach and our midfield structures have gone to shit... again! Our game plan is pretty simple... but for some reason, when the slightest bit of pressure is applied, our midfield strucures disappear. Who is at fault there? It isn't all Bolton's fault... and in fact, I would be putting all the blame on to the one coach who is a legacy from the two previous senior coaches!

Spot On.

As per my last post - His time is up, lets get JB back for caretaker for the rest of the season.

My gripe is that twice we have gone for 'The Grass is Greener' approach when we have had coaches making a positive impact.
First - Brett Ratten gets sacked and we get Malthouse, then we take the job away from John Barker, despite him starting to get them to play better football, and hire Bolton. Sydney stuck with their caretaker coach - Paul Roos - who delivered them a flag within 2 years.

Twice, we have replaced winning coaches with the wrong choice instead of backing our man.

Agreed but a bit late now.

If Barker leads the club in that coaching box again, I'm quitting football. Moving to Canada and just following ice hockey solely instead.

McGovern.....I didn’t want him and nothing has changed. His first 10 games have been nothing short of embarrassing for what we paid for him.
Been saying it all year.

He is the icing not the cake.

2 seconds and mcadam for him. 5 possessions today and injured. Career average told you this is how he rolls.

Wrong player for what we needed

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Why isn't anyone questioning SOS? He has to go as well, all the GWS rejects are proving great gets aren't they?

No way.
SOS has done his job, used whatever currency we had to get as much draftees into the club and even manufactured currency.

The problem isn’t SOS, the problem is clearly the coach.

Every other team can get their mediocre players to play like an actual team, Bolton has a list full of talented kids and they have no idea what to do the field .

His game plan is shizen, puts undue pressure on our players and makes it sooo easy for the opposition to counter, just position and set up an extra player to near the boundary line and they will always outnumber us when we kick long down the line.
The actual players have no idea how to systematically move the ball up the ground, they have no idea where to run and spread and they have no idea how to structure up at stoppages or zone defence.

This in turn puts the players under undue pressure which makes their skills suffer.. and then add to that a losing culture at the club and especially with this coach and as soon as the players feel like it’s going against them they drop their heads and drop their effort cause they know what’s gonna happen is inevitable

For those playing at home.

St. Kilda won the free kick count 31-23.

Leigh Fisher paid 15 frees to 3. The end result of those 15 frees was 4.3.27 to St. Kilda. 39.7% of St. Kilda's total score was a direct result of Fisher's umpiring in a game decided by 13 points.

The other 2 umpires paid 16-20 Carlton's way.

And no, I don't believe it's why we lost but that's certainly more than a please explain.

Please tweet that to the AFL & Steve Hocking!

Badly worded. Off course he takes responsibility but there are genuine reasons we are stuggling and changing the coach won't help
Yep, No one can definitive either way, we may be better off, we may not. But if current pattern continues it gets people more inclined to trust someone that has already proven a capacity to a certain level of success vs potential. The mood is changing and while I warmed to Bolton we need to see some proof and a pattern of improvement and that will be his challenge over the next month or so. No one has the answers we are hoping either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not like we are being smashed statistically speaking, but our F50 entries are absolutely diabolical.
Surely that has to be structural in nature?

Something needs to be done in the very least.

All evidence points to our coaches being footy dumb.
As in they don't actually know how to craft a structure, plan or in-game adjustments.

I am convinced that Neil Craig was a massive part of the decent footy we played in 16/17.

This is untenable.
We could rise very quickly if he had better management of on-field football.

So who are we going to beat?

Well be stone dead last with no draft pick. Probably no coach and a game plan built around Cripps and Kruze

Dogs have their Boyd cash free now. Why wouldn't they and others chuck millions at Cripps? Why would he stay?

Hard to see an upside today
No draft picks?????
Last time I looked we have the crows first..

Last edited:
Still can’t work out why we went zone defence from the start of the 2nd until midway into the 3rd.

Saints went apple picking in their 50, and thank god they couldn’t kick straight.

Good analysis.

I'll hazard a guess and says it's because we have a bottom of the ladder (in coaching terms) coaching group.

Someone has to have that honour I guess.

I can't help but think the players just go through the motions and when the heat is applied they melt. The saints turned the pressure and physicality up and what did we do? Nothing really. Further to this our kicking into the fwd line is deplorable. We can't stick a tackle. We cough up the ball when tackled.
These issues are player related and all point to a bunch of players who don't want to work hard enough. They have to learn.

Been saying it all year.

He is the icing not the cake.

2 seconds and mcadam for him. 5 possessions today and injured. Career average told you this is how he rolls.

Wrong player for what we needed

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
And the mature age pick we traded to Geelong for pick 42 kicked 6 on the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 10 v Saints. Not good enough when it counted.

Back