Autopsy Rd 10 v Saints. Not good enough when it counted.

Which players do you think had a good game in Round 10 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes when I watch Carlton play, it feels like 5 players on the field know the gameplan. Then everyone else tries to learn it on the fly.

It's my only explanation.

I'm worried for Bolton. He can't control the skills, but eventually he'll have to go. A painful inevitability.

So many coach killer moments today, and maybe itā€™s him, but these blokes have to have confidence in each other.

Surely inside 50s you go fast for the one on one, not the perfect drop punt into a pack of 10.

i have OME question. Seriously. Please someone answer me:

WHY DOESNT DOW EVER EVER CHASE?????????????
I think he spends all his tickets on one effort and has none for another. Agility doesn't seem the greatest either - can't seem to quickly turn and make ground on anyone.

Overuse of the ball. We butchered it. None of our players want to take initiative and do it themselves when they have the opportunity. Effort was much better, none of us can deny that from the group. But the performance was still not good enough. A third of our team were competent, thats it. One of the worst games I've seen from both SPS and Fish. Very dire unfortunately. For the overall performance though, I cant see why anyone would accept that happily and move on to next week. Watch us win next week now though and take the pressure off Bolts for a fortnight or so, even if it shouldn't change the current situation.

Today for me as well though, was the last straw for him. He just isn't a great fit for us at this point in time and really needs to hone in on his game day coaching which hasn't improved at all. Its deplorable. He and his coaching team had multiple moments in today's game to change direction of our style to make things uncomfortable for the Saints and he stuck to his guns. We had them rattled most of the first quarter and then we lost control of the game. We need to be a little (if not much) more daring and show some more endeavour in our play. The coaching group aren't doing theirselves any favours.

I back the club 100%, always. I think he will see out the season but if we are sitting on 2-3 wins come the last siren in Rd 23, his time is up. In a industry driven by stats and KPI's, he's not making the grade and the age profile of the group will soon no longer be a valid reason as the years roll by. Tough to admit, but its just reality.

They have an opinion. One that is proving to be right.

Both are ordinary players with ordinary skills.

So obviously it can be that people who aren't in our recruitment team know better than our recruitment team.

SOS is overrated and isn't the Messiah many people made him out to be. That's now obvious.
Too early to call yet imo..

Seriously now hearing Josh Deluca is the player we're drafting. Laughable.

Why? Is it because the media is talking up Dunkley? Deluca has been considered a top chance as well. Has been starring in the WAFL and at 23 is physically ready to compete with AFL players.

So many coach killer moments today, and maybe itā€™s him, but these blokes have to have confidence in each other.

Surely inside 50s you go for the one on one, not the perfect drop punt into a pack of 10.
But the decisions have to be coming from how they train and get taught.

Just got home and Iā€™m still processing what I just witnessed. Kind of reminded me a little of football but it was some sort of boundary line hugging, then side to side zig zagging crap that made the 150 or so metre long ground half a K long.. very odd game style that wonā€™t win many games of football.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simple question. Why do our handball chains just get us into more trouble while the saints chains get them out of it?

Is it structure?
Is it skill execution?
Is it effort?
Is it decision making under pressure?
All of the above?
Has to be all of them. They all affect each other, but it has to start with structure IMO. If you have nobody to give it quickly to or don't know where a teammate is likely, it takes that extra half a second to get rid of the ball and it invites additional pressure. End result is a poor decision to a teammate with no options either, or just handing it straight to the other team.

This.
He needs to get some confidence
Far be it from to invite another avalanche of abuse onto myself but what I said a few weeks ago about Dow is true. He a nervous nellie Grammar boy. I suppose we canā€™t blame SOS for picking him at 3 because he was widely regarded as deserving that status.
But itā€™s now clear that some players taken after him are better. Stephenson and Naughton being two of them.
And please donā€™t post offensive replies to this post. Otherwise Iā€™ll report them.

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly!!!
I hate the AFL for so many reasons I can only watch Carlton games but that has now run its race.
I'm sick to flipping death of people pissing on my back and telling me it's raining.
Something is seriously wrong with this football club.
There is not one single excuse left.
PATHETIC!!!
It makes me sad watching good teams play because when watching Carlton itā€™s like every single kick, handball, mark etc is a challenge.

Iā€™ve forgotten what it is like to follow a team that can play footy properly.

Dont think Iā€™ve seen a worse Carlton team by foot, which is staggering considering the talent we have.

See ball, kick ball.

Yep. So many players are also deplorable below the knees. I've lost count how many times our players - even those with the ability to do so - fumble the ball when trying to pick it up.

Dow must be the most sidesteppable (not a real word) player in the AFL. He starts running in a straight line, and if any aspect of the play deviates from his original trajectory, he is absolutely out of the contest and unable to recover.

It's not an ideal trait when the ball is an oval shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 10 v Saints. Not good enough when it counted.

Back