Preview Rd 13 St Kilda v Geelong MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not too confident about this one. I don't think Ross will reveal all his plans against the Cats as there's a good chance we'll play them sometime in September.

I'm not sure that there's any whiz-bang "plans" that any of the top clubs have up their sleeve. They may tinker round the edges, but there's nothing new about the way Saints or Cats play at this stage. Both teams have pretty simple, yet fundamentally different game plans that they adhere to religiously. That's why they are the best 2 teams by a country mile.

I just want to see St.kilda play four competitive quarters of football against the best team in the competition at present. I do not care the result for this round 13 clash.

I hope St.kilda get more matches at the MCG next year. Two games a year sucks. :thumbsdown:

IMO still an absolute crime that we didn't play each other in round one at the G

IMO still an absolute crime that we didn't play each other in round one at the G

I think it's better playing it now as there is more of a build up then there would have been in Rd.1. With a two week break leading into it and the game being one of only three games that weekend it will make it a much bigger spectacle.

I'm hoping Seven might do WA fans a favour and show it earlier than the usual 8.30pm Friday night timeslot. I won't hold my breath though.

I'm not sure that there's any whiz-bang "plans" that any of the top clubs have up their sleeve. They may tinker round the edges, but there's nothing new about the way Saints or Cats play at this stage. Both teams have pretty simple, yet fundamentally different game plans that they adhere to religiously. That's why they are the best 2 teams by a country mile.

Agree 100%.

For me this match throws form out the window. Both teams will be playing with an eye to September hoping they do not get blown away and satisfied with the 4 points if they get them.

Nothing more.

I know he's not on the injury list but Pods must be under a cloud wouldnt he? He's got sore groin and did his ankle against Essendon and couldnt walk at half time. Week off may do him good. But if he doesnt play then they wont have a tall forward as Tom "Ken Doll" Hawkins & Cam Mooney are likely to miss, so would Zac come back in at all? Especially if Raph misses through injury it could be interesting to see who plays.

Im pretty confident on snatching a win here by 6 points with Gardiner taking a screamer and knocking Harry Taylor out again 20m out and going back and slotting the goal.

Pods will play (and play well too). The fact that he was able to get through the game fine shows the injuries aren't serious. The only chance he wouldn't play is with a short turnaround, but with the week off that's no issue.

So he will play as will Mooney....Hawkins has been put in cotton wool for a while.

Corey is fit to return but it has yet to be decided whether he will play this game or in the VFL.

Anyway I'm looking forward to a great contest and hopefully a big crowd.

I haven't had the chance to watch much of Geelong this year so that's why I ask: If the big improvements for you have been Pods and Varcoe, is there anyone who have not improved but instead gone backwards from last year? You know, players like McQualter or Dawson for us... Have you had any of those?

Mackie at times IMO...other than that we've been pretty good across the board. Milburn was the one I expected to go backwards given his age, but he has been playing well lately (so long as he doesn't abuse any umpires on friday night :p). Apart from Pods and Varcoe, Lonergan and Blake have also improved which are two things I didn't think I'd ever be saying.

Geelong are very warm favourites to win. Fair enough. But I think Saints are being seriously underestimated by media 'experts' and many Geelong fans. We are taking much longer to peak this year and after last year's disappointment, that can't be a bad thing. I think the margin will be close. With a fit and firing Riewoldt back in time for finals, Saints may well become a bigger threat to Geelong than last year.

Gedelong are travelling better than 09 for sure ande deserved favs.

I hopeall their stars are back. Im interested to see how we go Riewoldt-less against top opposition. Will be good for our team IMHO.

Great to win - wont be devastated if we dont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are very warm favourites to win. Fair enough. But I think Saints are being seriously underestimated by media 'experts' and many Geelong fans. We are taking much longer to peak this year and after last year's disappointment, that can't be a bad thing. I think the margin will be close. With a fit and firing Riewoldt back in time for finals, Saints may well become a bigger threat to Geelong than last year.
I've been saying that since he went down. Saints WILL play in the GF this year, nothing more certain IMO, and this week matters very little as our team for starters, will bear scant resemblance to what plays in September, if we are all fit! Similarly, Saints have some amazing inclusions to look forward to.
I'm hoping we don't throw it this week by returning NAMES rather than match hardened ready to go lesser lights.

I've been saying that since he went down. Saints WILL play in the GF this year, nothing more certain IMO, and this week matters very little as our team for starters, will bear scant resemblance to what plays in September, if we are all fit! Similarly, Saints have some amazing inclusions to look forward to.
I'm hoping we don't throw it this week by returning NAMES rather than match hardened ready to go lesser lights.
Well said.:thumbsu:

Let's go back to talking about the game. There's actually been some good contributions from both sets of supporters.

A Friday night at the MCG between the best two teams in the competition.

Nothing better :thumbsu:

Thank god its at the G this year. Hopefully the weather holds up and we can get a decent crowd.

News reports saying Mooney & Scarlett back for the pussycats. Would assume that Zac will definantly come in now if he's fit.

Crowd wise would we be expecting 70-80K there or that being bit optimistic?

News reports saying Mooney & Scarlett back for the pussycats. Would assume that Zac will definantly come in now if he's fit.

Crowd wise would we be expecting 70-80K there or that being bit optimistic?

On the former, yes they will probably play. I would say Corey is less likely...I echo VEEDUBS sentiments re FIT players only.

Surely we can get at least 70...there'll be no better H & A game to watch this year, I'm sure looking forward to being there.

Waited many months to get another crack

Reckon they're better placed than us this time but with Roo back, im confident of getting where they are vulnerable - in the finals.

BRING ON FRIDAY!!!!

Waited many months to get another crack

Reckon they're better placed than us this time but with Roo back, im confident of getting where they are vulnerable - in the finals.

BRING ON FRIDAY!!!!

Are you suggesting that Geelong is more "vulnerable" in finals? Aside from that aberration in the 2008 GF, Geelong's record in finals since 2007 is impressive. :confused:

Should be a cracker on Fri - good luck to both teams.

I love how the one time it's live is actually gonna affect me being able to watch it for once lol. Got work till 8.30 (hopefully have a TV on) then gotta try and get to my mates 20th, where I really hope there is a TV! Plus by the time I get there it'll be more than half over I'm pretty sure.

Hope it doesn't affect the gate too much, it's our home game and the money we get from it will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back