Preview Rd 14 2022 Richmond Vs Carlton MCG 7:20 Thursday 16th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without Bolton or Martin, it’s gonna be very very rough indeed. To take advantage of Carlton’s weakened backline we need to win and use the footy well. Two of our best in this department being out makes me very pessimistic that we will win enough footy in the forward half to exploit it. We have no answer to Cripps if he holds form.

Without Bolton or Martin, it’s gonna be very very rough indeed. To take advantage of Carlton’s weakened backline we need to win and use the footy well. Two of our best in this department being out makes me very pessimistic that we will win enough footy in the forward half to exploit it. We have no answer to Cripps if he holds form.
Why is Bolton out?

IN: Lambert, Lynch and MRJ

OUT: Soldo, Martin and Bolton (if true)

Lambert was 'rested' last week as the medical sub, the extra week should do him wonders coming into what will be a pretty physical game. He comes in for Martin

Lynch is back after a few weeks of injury, he comes in for Soldo, we don't need the second ruck this week.

Bolton goes out for MRJ, it would be a hard pill to swallow if we lost Bolton, but, we have shown we can win big games without our big players.

Prediction:

• Richmond by 3 goals
  • Carlton fans rebook their September holidays
  • Prestia for 35+ disposals
  • Lynch and Balta for 4 goals each
  • The Carlton board to blame the umps even tho they won the free kick count

Grimes could easily take Curnow. He's taller, faster and as good a stopper as there is.
Grimes is still the best defender in the game, as in one who actually defends as against racking up big numbers of meaningless stats. I can't quite get over some people think he's not up there with the best in the game anymore. He's still the best in the game. I've certainly seen no evidence to contradict this. If the ball is in dispute and he's in the contest, he always wins. Always.

Anyway, I completely agree that Grimes could take and beat Curnow. Unless there's a medium defender we need Grimes to crush (like Gray last week) then Balta takes Curnow.

I reckon Ross will come in if Bolton is out too.
Probably, but if the club want another small/medium marking target wouldn’t be against Stack having a go

Would suggest Cumberland but going by the vfl report he’s pretty sore and banged up atm

It's interesting because its not your backline that has been the difference to your fortunes this season, or even your forwardline. The difference has been your midfield and, most notably, your gameplan. So even with those players out, it doesn't affect your fortunes anywhere near as much as if your inside ball winners were stricken.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Lynch and Jack are going to tear you a new one but we would win by far more if Walsh and Cripps went down rather than a few no name players in your backline.

Just saying...
Fair point. I still think we can win but we probably need to dominate your midfield and we can't afford the lapses that have been happening as you will punish us with our weakened backline. Not an ideal week to lose Cerra as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dusty is out,that really offsets any players the Blues have out.
Not really he’s not the same player at the moment cause he’s underdone. Absolutely if he was in form would absolutely shit all over our outs. Top 5 player of all time but he’s not that right now

On the other hand if Bolton is out Your outs are definitely bigger

Cerra is an accumulator, solid player but not special yet. Pittonet an average ruck. McGovern and Williams disappointments. Marchbank, C'mon. Weitering I gave you, he'd get a game with us.
Cerra would be your 2nd best pure mid behind Prestia. Williams would also get a game for your side.

Its irrelevent anyway. Regardless of how you rate them and whether you think they get a game at the tigers fact is they are important best 22 players for us and any team would struggle to cover that many out. They aren't borderline best 22 either. Most of those (not all) are in our top dozen players.

Despite that I still expect us to make a game of it and well done to you if you win.

If Martin is out then the question is whether to go tall or short to replace him. The coaches do not want to exclude either Balta or Gibcus from the side which means they may go with a tall forwardline. I'm not sold on the idea. I don't think our forwardline functions as well with Balta, Lynch and Jack in the same space with Soldo & Nank rotating back in to it as well. Gibcus is more agile than Balta and could play a defensive role getting off the leash from time to time, a bit like Towner in the glory years, but I still think we'd be too big.

Carlton likes to rebound off their half-back by hand. To stop this, we need speed. I would replace Dusty with either MRJ or (I hate to say it) Castagna. This would give us more pressure, lock the ball into our forward and handicap their rebound.

Now if Bolton is out, that is a huge hole to fill. Even bigger than Dusty atm. Bolton plays midfield and forward, and creates play. We don't have a ready-made replacement in our side. The closest would be Baker but he's already playing. I would replace him with Dow or Ross. Dow is more creative by hand and foot but Ross is more of a contested ball winner which we need against Cripps.

So for me, I'd go -

Out: Gibcus (rested), Dusty (Illness), Bolton (Illness)
In: Lynch, MRJ, Ross

Lynch would be the only improvement to the lineup with the other two moves based on necessity and gameplan.

Are we intending to have Tarrant on McKay and Gibcus on Curnow? If Tarrant or Gibcus are getting smashed, then we should switch Balta to defence pretty quickly. We took until the start of the last quarter to swap Gibcus and Balta last week, so we just need to make the change earlier in the game if Curnow and McKay are giving us trouble.

As good as their midfielders are, it won’t matter if we are proactive about our choice of personnel in defence. What Collingwood did to Melbourne’s offence is what we need to do to Carlton.
Grimes on Curnow.
Gibcus to intercept.

I’ve made my bed and I will lie in it if I must!
images

IN: Lambert, Lynch and MRJ

OUT: Soldo, Martin and Bolton (if true)

Lambert was 'rested' last week as the medical sub, the extra week should do him wonders coming into what will be a pretty physical game. He comes in for Martin

Lynch is back after a few weeks of injury, he comes in for Soldo, we don't need the second ruck this week.

Bolton goes out for MRJ, it would be a hard pill to swallow if we lost Bolton, but, we have shown we can win big games without our big players.

Prediction:

• Richmond by 3 goals
  • Carlton fans rebook their September holidays
  • Prestia for 35+ disposals
  • Lynch and Balta for 4 goals each
  • The Carlton board to blame the umps even tho they won the free kick count
You guys are proper obsessed with umpiring
No other supporter base complains about umpiring as much as you lot

You guys are proper obsessed with umpiring
No other supporter base complains about umpiring as much as you lot
First of all, that's just bullshit and untrue, go and look at any team's board and they all sook and blame them. Port Adelaide blaming them for losing to us last week.

But if you wanna see WHY the f c k we say anything at all?

(that should say 2017-2021 rather than 2012)

1655256029257.png

Then SEN's most recent article after round 10 this year...

1655256077921.png

And the fifties against, up until round 10 as well...

1655256114186.png

DO WE NOT HAVE A CASE ?!?!?!?!?! Get stuffed.

Cerra would be your 2nd best pure mid behind Prestia. Williams would also get a game for your side.

Its irrelevent anyway. Regardless of how you rate them and whether you think they get a game at the tigers fact is they are important best 22 players for us and any team would struggle to cover that many out. They aren't borderline best 22 either. Most of those (not all) are in our top dozen players.

Despite that I still expect us to make a game of it and well done to you if you win.
No he wouldn't. I would rate Trent and Graham higher as pure mids. Obviously, being young Cerra has more upside. Richmond are not a high possession team, most of our gun midfielders are lucky to get 20 touches a game. We don't rate based on number of touches, we mark on pressure acts, turnovers, gut running, metres gained, chains leading to scores etc. Don't be surprised to see Richmond get 80 less posessions than Carlton tomorrow night and still win. We are mechanically a very different team to Carlton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back