Preview RD.2 Gold Coast Suns v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly probably not just yet. We will certainly see him this year, and I hope he proves me wrong, but although his body is ready for afl I'm not so sure he is. But long term I reckon he will come good.

Cannot wait for round 2, going to the gabba this weekend to wet my appetite.

Hey guys sorry to intrude, heard a rumour that daniel harris has a back injury and is in doubt for round 2, is this true? (DT related question)

Haven't heard a thing about Harris being injured. That's news to me, if it's true!

I noticed him get up after a heavy clash early on against the Lions and he looked in a bit of pain with what appeared to be an arm / shoulder - might have been his back? I can't recall him taking any further part in the match after that but I might be wrong. We didn't have a lot of the ball after quarter time anyway :eek:

Is Mav Weller not considered to be in the best 22 at the moment?

I wouldn't pick him based on what I've seen in the pre-season. Has hardly been able to get near it. Might be used in a tagging role however, so he could find a spot if that's what Bluey has planned? If Harro is injured, he might get a chance.

I noticed him get up after a heavy clash early on against the Lions and he looked in a bit of pain with what appeared to be an arm / shoulder - might have been his back? I can't recall him taking any further part in the match after that but I might be wrong. We didn't have a lot of the ball after quarter time anyway :eek:

Yeah yeah! I've been reading rumours about his back being done in. That'd be a serious blow if he's out with an injury. :/ Still, I guess no news is good news at this stage. ;)

Anyone bold enough to declare some odds of GC actually winning this match? ;)

I know I've seen some postings saying that GC will win this. Some people say by 2 points, others say by 2 goals. But is this hugely possible? Carlton looks to have a few injuries, but this will be the first time GC will play with its full strength side.

As far as I'm aware, anyway. Thoughts?

If your best 22 play ie all the AFL players u recruited then I reckon you will be a good chance of winning.

Honestly probably not just yet. We will certainly see him this year, and I hope he proves me wrong, but although his body is ready for afl I'm not so sure he is. But long term I reckon he will come good.

I wouldn't pick him based on what I've seen in the pre-season. Has hardly been able to get near it. Might be used in a tagging role however, so he could find a spot if that's what Bluey has planned? If Harro is injured, he might get a chance.

That's a surprise, I thought after the year of VFL he'd be one of the more ready to go guys. He's a terrific talent, really good all round athlete and good head on his shoulders.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the match last night.

How did Carlton look? Beatable by the Suns? From what I heard, Richmond gave them a hard run and were up by the end of the third quarter. That's ... surprising, considering Carlton should be a top 8 side at the least.

I see only two outcomes next week. Carlton carry whatever poor decisions/form that they did from this round into next week. Or, the more likely for a top 8 side, they improve and fix whatever issues they had and come out perfect next week -- thereby destroying us to take back some confidence. ;)

Thoughts?

Also, hate to post this here ... but cannot find a Starting 22 thread?

On the Suns website, there's an auction page to bid for the starting 22 inaugural guernseys that will be worn against Carlton in round 2, listing which players will wear them. The following people are listed:

Lock, Krakouer, Fraser, McKenzie, Smith, Toy, Harris, Dixon, Swallow, Stanley, Coad, Brennan, Brown, Matera, Hutchins, Rischitelli, Iles, Bennell, Weller, Prestia, Bock, Tape, Harbrow, Hunt, Ablett. 25 people listed.

Not saying that this is a definite round 2 team, but granted, that would be pretty close, if not our strongest side we could throw up. Have the Suns given away a fairly big hint? ;) I'm a little suspicious, especially seeing Iles and Weller in there. But who knows? Shrug.

Check it and the item descriptions out @ http://integrated.imgecommerce.com/goldcoast.htm

On the Suns website, there's an auction page to bid for the starting 22 inaugural guernseys that will be worn against Carlton in round 2, listing which players will wear them. The following people are listed:

Lock, Krakouer, Fraser, McKenzie, Smith, Toy, Harris, Dixon, Swallow, Stanley, Coad, Brennan, Brown, Matera, Hutchins, Rischitelli, Iles, Bennell, Weller, Prestia, Bock, Tape, Harbrow, Hunt, Ablett. 25 people listed.

Not saying that this is a definite round 2 team, but granted, that would be pretty close, if not our strongest side we could throw up. Have the Suns given away a fairly big hint? ;) I'm a little suspicious, especially seeing Iles and Weller in there. But who knows? Shrug.

Check it and the item descriptions out @ http://integrated.imgecommerce.com/goldcoast.htm
greatn find!!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the match last night.

How did Carlton look? Beatable by the Suns? From what I heard, Richmond gave them a hard run and were up by the end of the third quarter. That's ... surprising, considering Carlton should be a top 8 side at the least.

I see only two outcomes next week. Carlton carry whatever poor decisions/form that they did from this round into next week. Or, the more likely for a top 8 side, they improve and fix whatever issues they had and come out perfect next week -- thereby destroying us to take back some confidence. ;)

Thoughts?
I missed the 3rd quarter as I was thinking carlton were running away with it and I had some uni work to get down. However, in the first half carlton were completely dominant but didn't make enough of their opportunities. Smashed them in all key stats, and if they kicked straighter would have blown them away completely.

So I wouldn't say they were in poor form from what I saw.

Always thought Illes would walk into the team when fit considering he was the B&F. Weller is big bodied and in the leadership group, so more likely to get a game then some other young mids. So for me that isn't suspicious.

Good find by the way. :thumbsu:

I missed the 3rd quarter as I was thinking carlton were running away with it and I had some uni work to get down. However, in the first half carlton were completely dominant but didn't make enough of their opportunities. Smashed them in all key stats, and if they kicked straighter would have blown them away completely.

So I wouldn't say they were in poor form from what I saw.

Too true. I suppose saying their form was poor isn't entirely accurate, given their stats. Just their aim wasn't the best. Let's hope they bring their soft boots next week too. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too true. I suppose saying their form was poor isn't entirely accurate, given their stats. Just their aim wasn't the best. Let's hope they bring their soft boots next week too. ;)

Imo, our form is good - off the top of my head, the only players that didnt perform to an adequate level would have been lucas (sub) + yarran (tagged but dominant in all of our preseason games). Bear in mind that the blues were missing the following top 22 players
- kreuzer (ruck/forward rotation)
- henderson (starting CHF)
- bower (starting CHB)
- jamison (starting FB)
- houlihan (starting defensive forward)

- mclean (probable starting inside mid/centreman)

Also lost waite (starting FF) before half time leaving us with the rotating resting ruckmen as our only tall forward in the 2nd half.

We smashed the tigers in most statistical categories bar the scoreboard & reidwoldts cameo. Whilst I was admittedly was a bit agitated to be behind at the end of the 3rd but I would have understood it as at that point in time we were missing effectively our entire first choice spine (jamison, bower, mclean, henderson, waite) + a couple of other handy types (houlihan/kreuzer)

For the upcoming game some things of note from the blues perspective
- possibility of waite missing (if he is charged for the backkick) - if waite goes, we might bring in henderson (still a bit underdone)
- according to ratten, bower should play. I'd also think that watson (1st round pick last year) might play if he does well in the VFL this week - white/thornton to miss if these guys come in.

Looking forward to seeing the suns for the 1st time on telly. Particularly to see the much hyped swallow -from news articles and pictures of him in the paper he looks to be a ready made tank

Imo, Blues should win and win comfortably - no disgrace to the suns though - kids will be kids and they will struggle to compete against mature bodies over a full game that in many instances will be 10+kgs heavier than they are (as the blues have experienced in recent times during the rebuilding phase)

Gold Coast will beat Carlton on debut.

Purely by chance, creating GC jumpers, Daye has become my favorite Sun.
Will be looking forward to seeing him turn defense into attack, sprinting down the wing, long drop punts into the forward 50.

19_JosephDaye.jpg

Imo, our form is good - off the top of my head, the only players that didnt perform to an adequate level would have been lucas (sub) + yarran (tagged but dominant in all of our preseason games). Bear in mind that the blues were missing the following top 22 players
- kreuzer (ruck/forward rotation)
- henderson (starting CHF)
- bower (starting CHB)
- jamison (starting FB)
- houlihan (starting defensive forward)

- mclean (probable starting inside mid/centreman)

Also lost waite (starting FF) before half time leaving us with the rotating resting ruckmen as our only tall forward in the 2nd half.

We smashed the tigers in most statistical categories bar the scoreboard & reidwoldts cameo. Whilst I was admittedly was a bit agitated to be behind at the end of the 3rd but I would have understood it as at that point in time we were missing effectively our entire first choice spine (jamison, bower, mclean, henderson, waite) + a couple of other handy types (houlihan/kreuzer)

For the upcoming game some things of note from the blues perspective
- possibility of waite missing (if he is charged for the backkick) - if waite goes, we might bring in henderson (still a bit underdone)
- according to ratten, bower should play. I'd also think that watson (1st round pick last year) might play if he does well in the VFL this week - white/thornton to miss if these guys come in.

Looking forward to seeing the suns for the 1st time on telly. Particularly to see the much hyped swallow -from news articles and pictures of him in the paper he looks to be a ready made tank

Imo, Blues should win and win comfortably - no disgrace to the suns though - kids will be kids and they will struggle to compete against mature bodies over a full game that in many instances will be 10+kgs heavier than they are (as the blues have experienced in recent times during the rebuilding phase)
You forgot Ellard who would add the necessary balls to a midfield of Judd Murphy Gibbs Simmo Robbo.
Tbird will go out (probably retire) Waite will be rubbed out for stupidity and Lucas will probably benefit from a run with the Ants
Kreuzer is a good 5 weeks off and Bower will probably do with another weeks rest. Brock is not up to it and Hoops is a mystery
I would like Hendo to play if fit just to get into the swing of things and for our structure.
This is a huge danger game for us with the AFL spotlight on the latest thing. GC will have a lot of emotional energy but have they the skill and team unity? It is a big unknown but we look forward to seeing what happens. Best of luck. Versus anybody else and I would be hoping GC gets out of the blocks with an upset win but we need to be 2-0.

You forgot Ellard who would add the necessary balls to a midfield of Judd Murphy Gibbs Simmo Robbo.
Tbird will go out (probably retire) Waite will be rubbed out for stupidity and Lucas will probably benefit from a run with the Ants
Kreuzer is a good 5 weeks off and Bower will probably do with another weeks rest. Brock is not up to it and Hoops is a mystery
I would like Hendo to play if fit just to get into the swing of things and for our structure.
This is a huge danger game for us with the AFL spotlight on the latest thing. GC will have a lot of emotional energy but have they the skill and team unity? It is a big unknown but we look forward to seeing what happens. Best of luck. Versus anybody else and I would be hoping GC gets out of the blocks with an upset win but we need to be 2-0.

We are such an unknown quantity, it makes it hard to know what's going to happen. The sides we've put out in the NAB Cup / Challenge have really given little indication of how our team is going to play on Saturday night. Whether this has been part of Bluey's plan to give away as little as possible, or is purely coincidental based on our rotational policy and injuries to senior players, I'm still unsure (although I'm leaning towards the former). As Matera mentioned in a recent article, getting Gazza, Bock, Brown and Brennan into the side will hopefully free up some of our talented kids to strut their stuff.
The fact that we've got so many debutantes / teenagers in the side must give the advantage to Carlton, but the sense of occasion might just help us to spring a surprise. Lack of team cohesion is going to hurt us because Carlton are a side that teams very well. Your over-reliance on Judd to get you out of sticky situations is a concern but we have no recognised tagger to put on him either. Hopefully we get a sell-out crowd, the games close, and we can walk off with our heads high :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back