Preview RD.2 Gold Coast Suns v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really gotta just say that the Blues will have a MASSIVE advantage over the Suns, having played the week before.
Differences in experience aside, any team who has played a game at the highest level the week before, when their opposition hasn't played a game at that level recently (or at any stage in the clubs history) is just going to be so better prepared for the game, so much better tuned to the intensity of the contest than the other team..

You gotta take that into consideration.

What a load of BS.

The first game of the season also involves the first recovery week of the season and then turning up pretty sore for the 2nd game. Everyone struggles with their first proper game.

Now this is fine if you opponents also played 7 days ago but in this case The Suns come in fresh and on an emotional high where the Blues will be carrying a few bumps and sore spots plus the fact they almost choked to Richmond.

A Suns win first up is quite a reasonable probability, especially if they get most of their experienced recruits playing.

Great it's finally here the suns first game in the real stuff, Carlton should win and win well , they average 15 goals a game last 7 visits to the Gabba and should be considered a top 4 chance this year .
Gold Coast have nothing to loose and should be nuisance value for a half or so, the worry is that there is little up front to convert the midfield drive that they should get from Ablett, Brennen, Ritcha, Swallow and co , the defence should do ok with Bock, Brown and Harbrow more than capable , But it's the offence that is going to be the achillies heal for the next few years , top forwards dont grow on trees and whilst the coast looks like they may have some smaller types its the key position post's that will be the let down this game and year.

Will be there Sat night cheering the suns on, but have real expectations on preformance .

Doesn't this bold bit also apply to the Blues though?;)

Good smalls but Waite is the only decent tall forward they have?

I think Bock may play forward for the very reason you have highlighted. I'd play Bock at CHF and N Ablett at FF, surround these guys with Matera, Pestia, a resting G Ablett and a resting Frazer and you have a good mix.

Brennan is a great match up on Waite and after him the Blues have a ruckman playing FF and the smalls.

Hunt should play off a HFF and drift back across the half hback line and play as a loose man in defense. Easier to 'split guys in half' when you don't have to worry about an opponent.:D

Certainly going to be an interesting contest. I imagine it'll rate well on TV in Melbourne as everyone will be fascinated.

Even GC fans can't really know what to expect, having never seen the full line-up trot out for a game.

I'm wary because the Suns will be well and truly up'n'about, and because you will have quick young runners with first-round-draft-pick kicking skills, which I am always insanely jealous of.

However, as has been stated before, if we're remotely serious we need to put you away comfortably.

Despite the Suns recruiting heavily in the backline, I'm not sure how well it stacks up against the Carlton forward line. Brown and Harbrow on Betts and Garlett, I suppose - though Harbrow will need to be accountable. I think Hunt, as quick and strong as he is, may struggle to go with Walker for pace and endurance.

And who from GC is big enough to stop Hampson? I realise he's no superstar, but if the Blues get their act together to kick it high to him more often, I struggle to see Bock, Tape, Hunt or anyone else spoiling him too often.

If the Blues engineroom gets on top, it's over because I just don't think we could conceivably miss as many shots as we did last week.

What a great occasion for you guys, I don't think you will win but congrats on making it this far and good luck for the rest of the year. If you want to hear an alternative to the Carlton biased TV commentary, tune in to footycouch.com from 6:30 Brisbane time for the match

I think your boys will be fairly even with us at half time but expect us to run away by 6 goals in the last half. We have a good following up there so the crowd will be probably bigger than expected. Not to mention all the neutrals going for this special occasion. Judd and Ablett are always so good to watch on the same park.

Blues to win by 36.

I actually think you can get up. I was looking through your list and you have enough AFL experience to win. Also a good stat for you guys is, 5 of the last 6 teams that played their first game in the AFL all won.

What role do you think Matera will play? Push up the ground? My favoureite player for you blokes. Good luck this week, hope you get up.

And who from GC is big enough to stop Hampson? I realise he's no superstar, but if the Blues get their act together to kick it high to him more often, I struggle to see Bock, Tape, Hunt or anyone else spoiling him too often..

You are forgetting that Hunt will most likely 'snap him in half' remember.;)

Then he won't be too tall for the smaller defenders to spoil him.:D

What a ridiculous thing for a coach to say.

You are forgetting that Hunt will most likely 'snap him in half' remember.;)

Then he won't be too tall for the smaller defenders to spoil him.:D

What a ridiculous thing for a couch to say.
I think its ridiculous a couch is saying anything in the first place. :D

What a ridiculous thing for a couch to say.

Sure beats your suggestion of Bock to CHF and Brennan to FB. While the rest of us are thinking "well **** me it's a talking couch" you should try and absorb some of it's football knowledge so we don't get any more suggestions like Carlton should trade Hampson for Daniel Motlop. :eek:

Doesn't this bold bit also apply to the Blues though?;)

Good smalls but Waite is the only decent tall forward they have?

I think Bock may play forward for the very reason you have highlighted. I'd play Bock at CHF and N Ablett at FF, surround these guys with Matera, Pestia, a resting G Ablett and a resting Frazer and you have a good mix.

Brennan is a great match up on Waite and after him the Blues have a ruckman playing FF and the smalls.

Hunt should play off a HFF and drift back across the half hback line and play as a loose man in defense. Easier to 'split guys in half' when you don't have to worry about an opponent.:D

Big Dicko is 200cm, Solidly built, Lightning on the lead, Solid overhead in contested marking and a naturally superb kick. Held his own in the VFL last year when the ball was in our forward fifty and has shown signs in his Nab Cup/Challenge matches that excites us.

I can't see anyone else getting CHF except for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure beats your suggestion of Bock to CHF and Brennan to FB. While the rest of us are thinking "well **** me it's a talking couch" you should try and absorb some of it's football knowledge so we don't get any more suggestions like Carlton should trade Hampson for Daniel Motlop. :eek:

My suggestion was Brennan to CHB bozo since Waite was named and played CHF last week. Maybe you should "absorb" where your own players actually play before making lame attempts to belittle others.;)

Suns have Coad at fullback and have multiple options for the wings and half back and half forward flanks where Brennan has lined up in the past. Waite is quite a mobile KP forward, something Brennan can easily match, in fact Brennan would run off Waite all day and create good rebound from defense.

Absorbe more football knowledge?

Considering last weekend I was watching Bock doing well playing forward v the Eagles in game from previous years I was reminded how he was quite a decent forward and shot on goal.

As for Motlop v Hampson at FF, Hampson isn't a FF. In any trade to Port Motlop would have been the 'steak knives' in that deal. If Motlop got his 'sh!t' together a full forward line of: Garlett Motlop Betts looks pretty dangerous to me. But then again Carlton don't have a great track record of managing mega tallented full forwards do they?;)

Any time you want to test your footy knowledge with mine I'm there matey.

My suggestion was Brennan to CHB bozo since Waite was named and played CHF last week. Maybe you should "absorb" where your own players actually play before making lame attempts to belittle others.;)

Suns have Coad at fullback and have multiple options for the wings and half back and half forward flanks where Brennan has lined up in the past. Waite is quite a mobile KP forward, something Brennan can easily match, in fact Brennan would run off Waite all day and create good rebound from defense.

Waite is our FF, Henderson is our CHF. Brennan would be a terrible match up for Waite, he's nowhere near strong or accountable enough and needs to be played in roles where he can be more creative.

Considering last weekend I was watching Bock doing well playing forward v the Eagles in game from previous years I was reminded how he was quite a decent forward and shot on goal.

It doesn't matter what he did in previous years, he is their CHB and Brennan is not the right man to take that position off him.

As for Motlop v Hampson at FF, Hampson isn't a FF. In any trade to Port Motlop would have been the 'steak knives' in that deal. If Motlop got his 'sh!t' together a full forward line of: Garlett Motlop Betts looks pretty dangerous to me. But then again Carlton don't have a great track record of managing mega tallented full forwards do they?;)

You were the only one who believed that trade made sense. Carlton did better out of their mega talented forward than West Coast did with any of their midfielders.

So much for steak knives :rolleyes:

Hampson to Port for D Motlop maybe?

Blues have 1 too many rucks and would look pretty good with a classy full forward.

Might be slightly lop sided in Ports favour. Maybe Butcher instead?

Any time you want to test your footy knowledge with mine I'm there matey.

I wouldn't do that if your track record is anything to go by :eek:

Waite is our FF, Henderson is our CHF. Brennan would be a terrible match up for Waite, he's nowhere near strong or accountable enough and needs to be played in roles where he can be more creative.

It doesn't matter what he did in previous years, he is their CHB and Brennan is not the right man to take that position off him.

You were the only one who believed that trade made sense. Carlton did better out of their mega talented forward than West Coast did with any of their midfielders.

So much for steak knives :rolleyes:

I wouldn't do that if your track record is anything to go by :eek:

By the way how did Henderson go last week playing CHF?

Carlton was offered Ports first rounder for Hampson, you ended up giving away as good a ruckman in Jacobs in exchange for draft picks 33 and 67. Port was pretty keen to move on Motlop so a 1st rounder + Motlop for Hampson Carlton would have been miles ahead than losing Jacobs for picks 33 + 67. Whether Motlop would have gone to Carlton is another question but we will never know.

But this is a Suns forum not Carltank's so I will leave this exchange until another time and another forum.;)

By the way how did Henderson go last week playing CHF?

Carlton was offered Ports first rounder for Hampson, you ended up giving away as good a ruckman in Jacobs in exchange for draft picks 33 and 67. Port was pretty keen to move on Motlop so a 1st rounder + Motlop for Hampson Carlton would have been miles ahead than losing Jacobs for picks 33 + 67. Whether Motlop would have gone to Carlton is another question but we will never know.

But this is a Suns forum not Carltank's so I will leave this exchange until another time and another forum.;)

Henderson is catching up on match fitness after a hip operation and should be back this week and straight back to CHF.

Stop making things up, Port did not offer a first round pick for Hampson last year, which is when they shopped Motlop around and when you made you suggestion. They were rumoured to have offered pick 9 the year before but it's nothing more than rumours. Jacobs asked to leave, we did not shop him around. Quit while you're behind.

Henderson is catching up on match fitness after a hip operation and should be back this week and straight back to CHF.

Stop making things up, Port did not offer a first round pick for Hampson last year, which is when they shopped Motlop around and when you made you suggestion. They were rumoured to have offered pick 9 the year before but it's nothing more than rumours. Jacobs asked to leave, we did not shop him around. Quit while you're behind.

Um when did I say Port offered their 1st round pick last season? I didn't.

If Hampson was traded in 2009 maybe Jacobs would have stayed as he would have had a better chance of getting a game? And who did Port gain with pick 9, Butcher I believe, one of the highly rated full forwards.;)

So Henerson is "catching up on match fitness" but according to you he will slot straight into CHF, the most demanding position for any KP player?

So Waite who has better match fitness will play FF and Henderson recovering from a hip operation will play CHF?

Keep it up, every time you post your credibility drops further and further.:thumbsu:

stick to the topic beanie, think this will be a cracker game, we seem to play the gabba relatively well so hoping we get the win and best of luck to you guys for the rest of the year, we don't play you twice do we?

I was just wondering whether anyone else is having problems getting tickets for the match online via Ticketmaster?

My brother-in-law's a Carlton supporter and I thought it might be nice to be a part of AFL history seeing the Suns' first match but have been unable to get General Admission tickets online despite several attempts.

B: Seb Tape, Nathan Bock, Campbell Brown
HB: Jarrod Harbrow, Karmichael Hunt, Nathan Krakouer
C: Trent McKenzie, Daniel Harris, Michael Rischitelli
HF: Daniel Stanley, Charlie Dixon, Alik Magin
F: Jared Brennan, Zac Smith, Brandon Matera
Foll: Josh Fraser, David Swallow, Gary Ablett
I/C: Marc Lock, Josh Toy, Harley Bennell, Dion Prestia

Emerg: Maverick Weller, Michael Coad, Daniel Gorringe

How fast are you?

Good to see Prestia got in and Zac Smith in the FF position is interesting. Good line up I think, shame Coad only made it as far as the emergencies thus far though but Seb will do a good job.

B: Seb Tape, Nathan Bock, Campbell Brown
HB: Jarrod Harbrow, Karmichael Hunt, Nathan Krakouer
C: Trent McKenzie, Daniel Harris, Michael Rischitelli
HF: Daniel Stanley, Charlie Dixon, Alik Magin
F: Jared Brennan, Zac Smith, Brandon Matera
Foll: Josh Fraser, David Swallow, Gary Ablett
I/C: Marc Lock, Josh Toy, Harley Bennell, Dion Prestia

Emerg: Maverick Weller, Michael Coad, Daniel Gorringe

..a bunch of good kids in there, but conversely it's a hella lot of AFL debutants too.. ..the campaigner couldn't possibly play as listed at CHB could he..?.. ..who would play back-up ruck to Fraser..?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back