AFLW Rd 3 Sydney Vs Richmond, 14/09 12:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously the knee injury to McKinnon was terrible but picking her up seems to have also lit a fire under Kelly

Really didn’t see this level of performance in her to be honest

I hope we never see KB in the midfield again. Primarily because she isn't a very good midfielder.

Agree with Poppy. She has done a ton of work preseason and it shows.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I heard it may have Poppy's first unaffected pre-season block. Here willingness to jump early was devastating to the oppo against Sydney. Won't get away with that every week, but clearly Hammer is strategising with Poppy each week and it's working.

Best bit about the past 2 weeks is winning without relying on Conti to be BOG. If Ellie stays fit would imagine at least one of her and MonCon get of the leash each week, hard for the oppo to stop both. Also good that we haven't had to throw KB into the middle yet this year when we are struggling
Props to Poppy Kelly for her start to the season, I thought she was miles of it in previous seasons. Happy to eat my words.
Love the nasty/white line fever Beth Lynch has in her game.
Tess and sheerin adds to midfield big time too , sheerin very good inside , Tess on the outside and is a thumping kick . Gonna be a cracking game v the blues

Obviously the knee injury to McKinnon was terrible but picking her up seems to have also lit a fire under Kelly

Really didn’t see this level of performance in her to be honest
She has a great leap and really has some craft , keeps eyes on the ball and some of the taps, absolute banggggg on

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I heard it may have Poppy's first unaffected pre-season block. Here willingness to jump early was devastating to the oppo against Sydney. Won't get away with that every week, but clearly Hammer is strategising with Poppy each week and it's working.

Not sure about this season being Poppy's first unaffected preseason. She's had 5 pre-seasons so if this is the first full one she has had an unfortunate run. Hammer has been working with her right through this pre-season and clearly it has worked well. Picked her up in 2021 with pick 48. Would be among the best rucks in the comp at present. Shrewd trading.

Last edited:
Shot ourselves in the foot r1 , kicking for goal next level bad , glad we’ve learnt from that

Wonder if we would have dropped that Giants game if we won R1 though. Giants didn't play badly, we were just better.

That R1 loss was a real reality check.

That's the positive spin.

Wonder if we would have dropped that Giants game if we won R1 though. Giants didn't play badly, we were just better.

That R1 loss was a real reality check.

That's the positive spin.
Just be interesting to actually see where we sit. Should beat Carlton and Port. Norf in Tassie is going to be tough.

Just be interesting to actually see where we sit. Should beat Carlton and Port. Norf in Tassie is going to be tough.

Looking at our fixture:

If we play to our potential, the only loss I would mark down right now is Nth. Others should be wins with some 50/50's in there.

I think we are a 5-6 ladder position side if we stay healthy. If we stay healthy and play to our potential we could sneak top 4.

Not sure about this season being Poppy's first unaffected preseason. She's had 5 pre-seasons so if this is the first full one she has had an unfortunate run. Hammer has been working with her right through this pre-season and clearly it has worked well. Picked her up in 2021 with pick 48. Would be among the best rucks in the comp at present. Shrewd trading.
Thought about that , hammer looks to be a big influence on this side and I’d go as far as suggesting a potential coach at W level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at our fixture:

If we play to our potential, the only loss I would mark down right now is Nth. Others should be wins with some 50/50's in there.

I think we are a 5-6 ladder position side if we stay healthy. If we stay healthy and play to our potential we could sneak top 4.
Staying healthy is something that’s been on my mind.
We’re playing 3 games in 10 days and that’s beginning after this 5 day break.
There’s other clubs with less days off this season.

The AFLW players have the less support from support staff, Physio’s , massage all the prehab/rehab stuff with the higher risk of significant knee injuries.
All teams this season wil be going into an unprecedented physical load and risk of soft tissue and or injuries resulting from fatigue, more than any AFL player has gone into.

Fingers crossed we get through unscathed.
It could have a big influence on the positions in finals.

Coaches' votes R3​

Sydney v Richmond​

9 Ellie McKenzie (RICH)
5 Katie Brennan (RICH)
5 Poppy Kelly (RICH)
4 Kate Dempsey (RICH)
3 Eilish Sheerin (RICH)
2 Grace Egan (RICH)
1 Lucy McEvoy (SYD)
1 Montana Ham (SYD)

Coaches' votes R3​

Sydney v Richmond​