Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Newman and Edwards need a spell in the Magoos.

Very underwhelming performance from both players.

Edwards was virtually unsighted all night except for the 2 goals.

While I would love to drop Grigg too (no one we can replace him with). He and Ellis have the important role of being the gut runners who drive the ball into our F50. Just need them to regain confidence to take the game on, Ellis in particular.

One change for me,
Out: Thomas
In: Either Foley, Lids (if 100%) or Helbig

Love the effort and grunt of Thomas, but we need speed in the middle.

Hoping that the game was a blessing in disguise or a wake up call.
Obviously last year we were a fast moving team that really took the game on,but with that came the risk of being rather easy to score against.
Seems as though in the effort to become a team that can control tempo and not have quick goals scored against us the ability to score ourselves has been shut down.
We do need to find a balance for sure,but once we reverted back to risk taking both in the last quarter against Collingwood and again when the lions took over it was at least evident that we can still score quickly and look much better.
Problem is though of course that will only get you so far.
I'd like for the shackles to be released for these upcoming games to get the freedom back in our play.
Whilst it won't address the problem of having quick goals scored against us,it will at least give us a chance.
God knows we are absolutely no chance these next two weeks playing that slow,stop,start short kick stuff.
We will get murdered doing that.

Just watched the replay of the first quarter. Loved our endeavour and the ability to play with a controlling offensive pressure locking the ball in our half for good periods of time. Some skill errors in dropped marks and missed shots but overall I really liked what I saw. Positive stuff starting to reappear in our game. Yes I know the boys hit the wall but the start was impressive and the recovery was well done too. Fits and starts but going in the right direction.

Hoping that the game was a blessing in disguise or a wake up call.
Obviously last year we were a fast moving team that really took the game on,but with that came the risk of being rather easy to score against.
Seems as though in the effort to become a team that can control tempo and not have quick goals scored against us the ability to score ourselves has been shut down.
We do need to find a balance for sure,but once we reverted back to risk taking both in the last quarter against Collingwood and again when the lions took over it was at least evident that we can still score quickly and look much better.
Problem is though of course that will only get you so far.
I'd like for the shackles to be released for these upcoming games to get the freedom back in our play.
Whilst it won't address the problem of having quick goals scored against us,it will at least give us a chance.
God knows we are absolutely no chance these next two weeks playing that slow,stop,start short kick stuff.
We will get murdered doing that.

Have you noticed how easily and quickly brisbane were able to score against us a couple times on thursday night because of this? not sure what quarter it was, but we had this really long, drawn out build up of over possession, all for someone to turn it over in our attacking 50 and then brisbane went coast to coast in record time because all our numbers had been used to move the ball into attack (geez I haven't explained this well but I hope you get the picture). Kinda makes me wonder...do we really have the cattle to play this high possession/tempo style of footy? Our skills will always let us down when we try to do this.

While I would love to drop Grigg too (no one we can replace him with). He and Ellis have the important role of being the gut runners who drive the ball into our F50. Just need them to regain confidence to take the game on, Ellis in particular.

One change for me,
Out: Thomas
In: Either Foley, Lids (if 100%) or Helbig

Love the effort and grunt of Thomas, but we need speed in the middle.

Too right...if we have no fast runners...breaks...or move the ball s l o w w l y...Thomas starts to look clumsy....

Have you noticed how easily and quickly brisbane were able to score against us a couple times on thursday night because of this? not sure what quarter it was, but we had this really long, drawn out build up of over possession, all for someone to turn it over in our attacking 50 and then brisbane went coast to coast in record time because all our numbers had been used to move the ball into attack (geez I haven't explained this well but I hope you get the picture). Kinda makes me wonder...do we really have the cattle to play this high possession/tempo style of footy? Our skills will always let us down when we try to do this.
The absolute world record for end to end stuff was getting smashed by Carlton once we tried to defend our lead in round 2.

Can i just post a question out to all of you. What is Grigg doing wrong to cop what he's copping?
I'll make a list.
  • Doesn't run both ways
  • Doesn't put on any defensive pressure
  • Makes dumb mistakes like playing on when we have a shot on goal
  • Bombs it up in the air when he kicks it i50
  • Doesn't protect teammates with blocks and sheppards
  • Doesn't tackle
  • Rarely picks out the best decision
  • When he does kick, he prefers the cheap option which doesn't benefit the team but rather takes the pressure off of him.

I'll make a list.
  • Doesn't run both ways
  • Doesn't put on any defensive pressure
  • Makes dumb mistakes like playing on when we have a shot on goal
  • Bombs it up in the air when he kicks it i50
  • Doesn't protect teammates with blocks and sheppards
  • Doesn't tackle
  • Rarely picks out the best decision
  • When he does kick, he prefers the cheap option which doesn't benefit the team but rather takes the pressure off of him.
Mate he fits in the side with those stats....:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Grigg though, everyone points out the bad things he does. People have done that where they have taken the advantage and ended up paying for it. Grigg did it ONCE, its not like he lost the game for us.

Hes had a bad start, but so what? What about his lat 3 years? You are just going off one game then hanging it over his head every round.
1st year-Outstanding
Since then sides have worked him out and he hasn't had the same freedom
Now his flaws are being exposed and teams are using that as a springboard.
Mind you the same applys to Houli.

- Hits the scoreboard
- Gets into space
- Clean disposal
- Can play in any position, even ruck
- Does the basics
Yes, he gets into space. Means nothing if he doesn't damage the opposition though.
I don't think even the most optimistic of Tiger supporters could believe that Grigg has clean disposal.
He plays outside winger and outside winger only. He hardly plays up forward and never as a backman. He isn't a ruckman if he goes up as a 3rd man. (Unlike Griggs)
Define the basics. I'd say tackling, shepparding, pressure and awareness of opponent are the basics and Grigg shows none of it.

Basics, 1%ers
Stop looking at what he does bad. Stop going off 4 bad games hes had this year. He was solid against Brisbane and one of Richmonds best.

Basics, 1%ers
Stop looking at what he does bad. Stop going off 4 bad games hes had this year. He was solid against Brisbane and one of Richmonds best.
You can't tell someone to ignore his weak points when they are as bright as day light.
upload_2014-4-19_15-28-44.jpeg
He did two good kicks against Brisbane. That does NOT make him one of our best. Grigg is a one way runner who crumbles when he has pressure. Not only that, his i50s are almost never efficient and he hasn't got a defensive bone in his body. The sooner he is out of our team the better we are. Oh and for your 1%ers, Grigg is ranked 18th in the club for 1%ers. Considering he has played every game, it's a pathetic effort.
Hes not the best player but he is an important one. Your whole team cant be Brett Deledios:p
This is ridiculous. What makes him important? He has played many games and I think that's the only reason why we haven't dropped him. It's time to get the new blood in the team. Get McDonough, McIntosh or Lennon because they'll give a better crack than Grigg has in over a year and a half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 4 v Brisbane - Game Discussion and Changes for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back