Prediction Rd 8 Changes v Tigs Away

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure draper is a guarnteed out, daniels tweeted he was subbed out for a 'tight' hammy and JLO says its nothing serious in the presser, going up against an undermanned tigers forwardline regardless though so shouldnt be too much of an issue either way.

theyre also without like 3 of their top mids, should be another smashing from serong and co should give us a good opportunity at putting up a good score and hopefully impress baker

freo by 6-8 goals i reckon. could be a big day for treacy
I think for a player of his build and type and age, you just play it safe. Doubly when we already have two long term injuries to KPDs. If it was bad enough to be subbed out, it would be negligent if they played him tbh

Voss was encouraging to me but I think his possible limitations were there to see. He laid only 1 tackle, not through lack of intent but he struggled to catch players and clearly has a bit to build fitness wise. His issue is that his athleticism is close to that of a ruck while being "only" 193cm tall.

He's ahead of Tabs but I'm not playing 4 talls (or moving Jackson out who had 4 scoring shots btw) to accommodate him personally
he reminded me of a less athletic treacy in some ways. good to have as the depth tall but can't see him making a b22 case soon

We have to be smart about these next two games. Walters should definitely be rested this week so he's fresh for Sydney. If we're well up against the Tigers we need to conserve our legs in the last quarter as much as practicable.

I'd consider holding Amiss off for another week as well. He was getting pretty banged up and the couple of weeks off will likely be good for his body to refresh.

Also need to keep an eye on our midfield loads, does Brodie come in for a week for some fresh legs for example.

At least they have an 8 day break to freshen up this week.

Need to make some tough calls given we have to back it up the next Friday

Going to have to manage anyone with a slight knock or niggle and back whoever is fit and firing for the game then rest the rest. Sydney is the priority. Get some experience for as many of the younger, fitter lads as possible

I think for a player of his build and type and age, you just play it safe. Doubly when we already have two long term injuries to KPDs. If it was bad enough to be subbed out, it would be negligent if they played him tbh

Agree especially given we will need next week much more than this week against Richmond

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Going to have to manage anyone with a slight knock or niggle and back whoever is fit and firing for the game then rest the rest. Sydney is the priority. Get some experience for as many of the younger, fitter lads as possible
surely after the eagles game wed learn about taking a team lightly. no team in the comp is an easy beat or a guaranteed 4 points, put the best team out there thats fit and make sure we perform. none of this prioritising the 'next' game

I think only one person has really touched on the biggest difference between the two though, Davies costs Peel at least a goal a game through Hughes like errors. Now, I'd say when they were at Peel he probably saved an extra goal compared to Draper because his contest work is really really good but if he plays (and I hope he does), I guarantee he is going to piss a few people off.
pffft ---- we are freo fans, part of the trade

surely after the eagles game wed learn about taking a team lightly. no team in the comp is an easy beat or a guaranteed 4 points, put the best team out there thats fit and make sure we perform. none of this prioritising the 'next' game
On the other hand, unlike a bunch of other teams we don’t seem to manage our older players. Given our travel burdens it is a little anomalous.

Granted we don’t have many “old” players

It’s not about taking teams lightly or not - it’s the realistic problems of a five day break after travel and how to not over fatigue anyone who might be on the cusp of needing a rest. The fact that Richmond are 1-6 and Sydney are 6-1 is irrelevant. The recovery time is already compromised after having to hop on a plane the night after the Richmond game on the Sunday night and then having to back it up the Friday night.

On the other hand, unlike a bunch of other teams we don’t seem to manage our older players. Given our travel burdens it is a little anomalous.

Granted we don’t have many “old” players
Managing players is mostly a luxury when you've banked the wins early in the season. Early season 'management' is often a nice way of saying omitted for a long serving player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amiss doesn't sound like he'll be straight back in.
I read somewhere he's still got some stuff to tick off.
Keep Voss in I reckon if that's the case

Kind of off topic, but we play Richmond away on Sunday, then home to play Sydney on Friday. Short turn-around. Surely the AFL could have had us play the Tigers on Saturday.
Melbourne are playing Saturday v cats, and then playing the following Thursday - the Thursday night game causes a 5 day break for them even with a Saturday game.

As soon as afl chooses Thursday night games we have more of these issues.

Personally I’d prefer 16 minute quarters so it’s less of an issue, reckon 20% shorter games would be better for players all round, could probably increase number of games too which is better.

The priority is winning the next game. We can't drop the Tigers game because we are looking at Sydney, biggest mistake there is in the AFL. Just look what happened against the Eagles.

The priority is winning the next game. We can't drop the Tigers game because we are looking at Sydney, biggest mistake there is in the AFL. Just look what happened against the Eagles.
It’s not about taking teams lightly or not - it’s the realistic problems of a five day break after travel and how to not over fatigue anyone who might be on the cusp of needing a rest. The fact that Richmond are 1-6 and Sydney are 6-1 is irrelevant. The recovery time is already compromised after having to hop on a plane the night after the Richmond game on the Sunday night and then having to back it up the Friday night.
ICYMI

Remove this Banner Ad

Back