Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does Conway do when Stanley is rucking?
What did Ottens do when King, Blake and West were rucking? And winning flags?
The real question is -What does Stanley do when Conway is rucking? Answer is - plenty. And there is the bench.

The real question is -What does Stanley do when Conway is rucking? Answer is - plenty. And there is the bench.

There was no interchange cap back then though - so it didn't impact as much to utilise a bench spot for the resting ruck

Besides, Ottens was a capable forward as evidenced by his AA selection there when playing for Richmond - not sure either Stanley or Conway are close to that forward capability level

I don't think you can really rotate rucks off the bench with capped rotations.

Stanley has been running as spare man back or even running with the forward rebound when Blitz has rucked. Blitz has pretty much every other position on the ground as a second position.

I know the coaches have flagged that they think Stanley and Conway can play in the same team but I don’t think they're being honest

I don't think you can really rotate rucks off the bench with capped rotations.

Stanley has been running as spare man back or even running with the forward rebound when Blitz has rucked. Blitz has pretty much every other position on the ground as a second position.

I know the coaches have flagged that they think Stanley and Conway can play in the same team but I don’t think they're being honest
not every week, but I'd be happy to see it tried. I like Blic as a mid, or ANYWHERE he is needed.

Yeah, but not having him a second ruck feels like going to war but deciding your unit has too many weapons and leaving some at home
Always have 2 rucks anyway, just the our second ruck happened to be a Jack of all trades. Blic has other uses.

For those wondering about GA access for tomorrow night

GENERAL ADMISSION SEATING AND CHEER SQUAD LOCATIONS​

General Admission seating will be available in the following areas, subject to availability and subject to change. Check back here for updates.

Shane Warne Stand
  • M4 (Demon Heartland)
  • Q1-Q15 1/2

Ponsford Stand
  • M28-M32
  • M33 (rows T-NN - no alcohol)
  • M34-M36
  • Q29-Q36

Olympic Stand
  • Q49-Q57

AFL Reserve
  • M22-M25 (rows A-Z)
  • M26 (rows A-Y)
  • Q15 1/2-Q17 (rows K-DD)
  • Q18-Q28

CHEER SQUAD AREAS

Melbourne:
M3 (rows A-LL)
Geelong Cats: M33 (rows A-S)

You lose too much from being a small in rotation down plus you muck up the fwd structure by stanley or conway playing fwd a lot.

Hopefully conways tank will improve soon then he can come in full time instead of stanley.
Thats all and well to say that

But i do remember a certain PF , Gawns performance the 3rd qtr in particular it was a nightmare for Geel , unstoppable he was and kicking goals and the big MCG is very similar to that Perth oval

Atkins has been good for Geel , but he has been very ordinary this year and Clark is yet to prove himself at senior level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interchange wasnt capped then.

Theres a reasons why teams dont play 2 rucks now unless one of them is a decent fwd.

Thats all and well to say that

But i do remember a certain PF , Gawns performance the 3rd qtr in particular it was a nightmare for Geel , unstoppable he was and kicking goals and the big MCG is very similar to that Perth oval

Atkins has been good for Geel , but he has been very ordinary this year and Clark is yet to prove himself at senior level
2021? Gawn could have put on the cats jumper at the start of that match and we would have still lost by 83

We can agree to disagree but I think we would be carrying an extra tall that we wouldn't need to.
Agree.
I'm not suggesting it as a norm, just a single trial game against a team that does have super tall talent. Anyway, it won't happen. We are lucky Blicavs is the ultimate in versatility.

From the above article

THE HIGHEST-RATED SMALL FORWARDS​

Geelong boasts two of the best four and three of the best 11 small forwards in the AFL after seven rounds.

1 Izak Rankine (Adel)
2 GRYAN MIERS (Geel)
3 Elijah Hollands (Carl)
4 TYSON STENGLE (Geel)
5 Jade Gresham (Ess)
6 Bailey Banfield (Frem)
7 Dylan Moore (Haw)
8 Alex Neal-Bullen (Melb)
9 Kysaiah Pickett (Melb)
10 Jack Higgins (St K)
11 BRAD CLOSE (Geel)
* Based on Champion Data’s 2024 AFL player ratings points.

And is Miers our real barometer:

In the past two years the Cats are 13-3 when Miers has at least 20 disposals and 4-9 when he has fewer.

The levelling up of Miers has been magnificent.

In 2022 he averaged 14.9 disposals, 214m gained and 0.6 goals per game. In 2023 it was 19 disposals, 298m gained and 0.3 goals.

In 2024 it is 22 disposals, 372m gained and one goal. Miers was mooted as an All-Australian last year, but selectors felt uneasy about picking a forward who had kicked only seven goals himself.

That knock has been negated this year because he has already matched that return of seven goals.

From the above article

THE HIGHEST-RATED SMALL FORWARDS​

Geelong boasts two of the best four and three of the best 11 small forwards in the AFL after seven rounds.

1 Izak Rankine (Adel)
2 GRYAN MIERS (Geel)
3 Elijah Hollands (Carl)
4 TYSON STENGLE (Geel)
5 Jade Gresham (Ess)
6 Bailey Banfield (Frem)
7 Dylan Moore (Haw)
8 Alex Neal-Bullen (Melb)
9 Kysaiah Pickett (Melb)
10 Jack Higgins (St K)
11 BRAD CLOSE (Geel)
* Based on Champion Data’s 2024 AFL player ratings points.

And is Miers our real barometer:

In the past two years the Cats are 13-3 when Miers has at least 20 disposals and 4-9 when he has fewer.

The levelling up of Miers has been magnificent.

In 2022 he averaged 14.9 disposals, 214m gained and 0.6 goals per game. In 2023 it was 19 disposals, 298m gained and 0.3 goals.

In 2024 it is 22 disposals, 372m gained and one goal. Miers was mooted as an All-Australian last year, but selectors felt uneasy about picking a forward who had kicked only seven goals himself.

That knock has been negated this year because he has already matched that return of seven goals.

His trajectory is a demonstration of masterful coaching

Draft year: shows some innate talent for finding goals but so many little flaws that no one is interested but us

1st year: shows not much in vfl. Doesn't look like he has a great deal that will transfer. Has a tank in training, doesn't use it in games.

2nd year: coached to use his running capacity to get around the ground and pick up uncontested possessions as an extra wing. Starts getting the score involvements.

In the space of one preseason he goes from on-notice for delisting to undroppable piece in a side going top 4 that year.

I don't get the negativity or worry surrounding Hawkins?

Sure he looks a little less mobile, but the job he is doing and what it allows our other forwards to do will win us finals. Watch him as he negates their fullback, allows others to get into better positions and sacrifices his own game to create that space. Just look at the goal kicking numbers around him.

The man is a true team first player.

not every week, but I'd be happy to see it tried. I like Blic as a mid, or ANYWHERE he is needed.
Would be interesting, but we have enough problems shoehorning guys into the team as it is..
I think Conway would step up as our primary ruck if given the chance.
We have seen situations in the past where primary big guys have gone down and the junior beanpoles have stepped up making the old guys redundant.
Not going to happen unless Stanley gets injured or stinks it up big time over a large body of work.

Welcome to game day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back