Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the Star Wars Game... and the Force has been with us.

7-0.

1 game clear on top of ladder.

The rebuild is over.

Its official. It lasted what 6 months? Bommbers, Saints, Dogs, Demons, North, Hawks.. hell all of them... dirty as right now.

We are now the hunted...... again... and they will come.

All 17 teams and their supporters will be gunning for our demise each week and will dance on the ruins should it happen.

PFD is gone IMO for 6 weeks. They will get him right and conservatively right for a long time before he comes back.

Tom Stewart should come back in to an already #1 ranked defense.

Rohan also has his hand up.

There is talk of the demise of Tomma - early in my view but yes hes closer to the end than the start. I consider that he's the most sharing and non greedy KPF in the game... and that V Weitering he torched his own game and led Weitering away from the contest - and leave Tomma unguarded at your peril.

The MF will need to be its best this week v Gawn and Company. We need Rhys to play up to the opponent level.

Not expecting too many unforced changes but we all know Scotty....

GO Catters

Stewart straight back in. Guthrie to move into midfield to replace Dangerfield, so it effectively makes Stewart take Cam's role from the weekend.

Rohan to return and cause havoc, creating a mismatch. I would say Dempsey could be rested simply for management purposes. He's had a lot of miles and minutes so far. Stengle, Close and Miers can all push up the ground.

Atkins into the starting line up as a contested pressure player, fresh from fewer minutes on the weekend. His efforts late in the game against Melbourne last year were legendary. Parfitt looked a bit jaded so maybe they can swap and he comes on as a sub.

Stanley plays better with at least a little continuity so I'd back him in against Gawn (with help from Blicavs) and then bring Conway in against Port.

In: Stewart Rohan
Out: Dangerfield Dempsey

FB: Stewart De Koning J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolo Z.Guthrie
C: Holmes C.Guthrie Blicavs
HF: Stengle Cameron Miers
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Rohan
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Bowes
IC: Close Tuohy Atkins O'Connor Parfitt(sub)

Last edited:

Whats the history of Hawk against May? It was well known that Weitering has a good history againt Hawk even when he was playing well. Top player... but May. Not as sure.

I remember a while ago there was a tactic of stay at home against May putting him in no mans land?

Not saying we should overly focus on getting the ball to him ...but considering how unselfish he has been ... now that he needs a hand... maybe if the opportunity arrises .. then someone should give him a bit of payback.

Whats the history of Hawk against May? It was well known that Weitering has a good history againt Hawk even when he was playing well. Top player... but May. Not as sure.

Hawkins v May:

2023 - 1.1
2022 - 1.2
2021 - 2.2 (pretty sure May got injured and didn't play this game out), 1.2.

Ins:
Stewart, Neale

Outs:
Dangerfield, Hawkins (rest)

Neal can play more 2nd ruck to support Stanley against Gawn.

Hawkins will be a liability up forward against May.

You never have to lose.

I think the club will be all over maintenance. Especially after Danger. We will continue to zig zag our rucks and others will be monitored.. and 7-0 probably takes the pressure off. 7-1 or 8-0 is not as important as ensuring the loads are taken care of.

Have to lose.. interesting thought.

Mmm... North last year was a close to it as anyone ... cost them Reid. What a croc system we have ... that the worst side from the last three years ... misses on the best player by percentage. Still .. I have to say.. plenty of observers are saying that they are too young...Whos fault is that. Ok so why didn't they pick the likes of Mannagh and others to help out. Sometimes I wonder if there is a bit of S&M about teams that want to totally bottom out for long term gain. They get off on the flagellation. They feel righteous in pain. It makes them feel superior somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember a while ago there was a tactic of stay at home against May putting him in no mans land?

Not saying we should overly focus on getting the ball to him ...but considering how unselfish he has been ... now that he needs a hand... maybe if the opportunity arrises .. then someone should give him a bit of payback.
May is excellent against Hawkins. Probably his best opponent over the recent years, along with Weitering.

Rohan has a great record v Melbourne, was BOG against them last year in the game Jezza was knocked out, reckon we will be really keen to get him in after what sounds like a strong showing in the VFL.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Dempsey to sub to manage his minutes.

Cam Guth to the middle and Atkins to play a full game to help negate the loss of Danger are no brainers.

The idea of resting another veteran is appealing, but who? Stanley and Tuohy have both been managed recently, Blitz is desperately needed to counter Gawn, Duncan is building into good form, Cam Guth has only just returned. If Hawkins is carrying some type of injury, him out for Neale could be an option.

May is excellent against Hawkins. Probably his best opponent over the recent years, along with Weitering.

What I do remember is there was one game where Sav as the leading forward really worried Lever with his size and leap. Movement and spring. Hawk needs space now to move into . He rarely takes packs marks. Makes me wonder if Neale would be a better match up ...but just not sure he is up to it against such bloodless and ruthless competitors. Hawk would not ba fazzed by poor goals and outcomes.. and while he plays. ..May has to mind him.

Rohan has a great record v Melbourne, was BOG against them last year in the game Jezza was knocked out, reckon we will be really keen to get him in after what sounds like a strong showing in the VFL.

I wouldn't be opposed to moving Dempsey to sub to manage his minutes.

Cam Guth to the middle and Atkins to play a full game to help negate the loss of Danger are no brainers.

The idea of resting another veteran is appealing, but who? Stanley and Tuohy have both been managed recently, Blitz is desperately needed to counter Gawn, Duncan is building into good form, Cam Guth has only just returned. If Hawkins is carrying some type of injury, him out for Neale could be an option.

same logic. Again. Athletic movement. Rohan or Neale could worry them. Rohan has experience and maturity. Neale has youth. I honestly dont think he is going to learn much more playing against the likes of the Carlton VFL side. Id like to see how he handles a big game at the G.

Out: Parfitt.

Some of his tackle efforts were lame.

He wasn't alone in that regard on Saturday

Unless you're also omitting half his teammates for the same reason

Dropping a guy for his tackling efforts when he averages 7 tackles a game (11th most in league and the team’s best) would be a bit odd.
How many misses tackles. The stat is a bit misleading imo.

He wasn't alone in that regard on Saturday

Unless you're also omitting half his teammates for the same reason
He also doesn't win enough of the ball for mine. I'd be replacing him with Hardie.

Stewart straight back in. Guthrie to move into midfield to replace Dangerfield, so it effectively makes Stewart take Cam's role from the weekend.

Rohan to return and cause havoc, creating a mismatch. I would say Dempsey could be rested simply for management purposes. He's had a lot of miles and minutes so far. Stengle, Close and Miers can all push up the ground.

Atkins into the starting line up as a contested pressure player, fresh from fewer minutes on the weekend. His efforts late in the game against Melbourne last year were legendary. Parfitt looked a bit jaded so maybe they can swap and he comes on as a sub.

Stanley plays better with at least a little continuity so I'd back him in against Gawn (with help from Blicavs) and then bring Conway in against Port.

In: Stewart Rohan
Out: Dangerfield Dempsey

FB: Stewart De Koning J.Henry
HB: Duncan Kolo Z.Guthrie
C: Holmes C.Guthrie Blicavs
HF: Stengle Cameron Miers
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Rohan
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Bowes
IC: Close Tuohy Atkins O'Connor Parfitt(sub)
My initial thoughts were that we needed to keep Parf for the midfield (I will forgive him one poor game) but then going through I find it really difficult to pick who to use as the I/C - perhaps Rohan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back