Unofficial Preview Rd1 Richmond v Carlton MCG 7:25pm Thursday 19th March Flag Unfurling²

Remove this Banner Ad

If they are going to have a Mickey Mouse comp and tweak the fixture I just don't think it's worth it.
It's not a premiership season.
We are the reigning premiers.

Indeed, it’s going to be a complete farce if there is a Premiership awarded this year if the season’s format is seriously compromised. Just call off the season to uphold the integrity of the competition.

I honestly do not think a team really deserves to be called a Premiership team, when that team is put against other teams from proper Premiership seasons.

It’s almost tainted.

That being said, we all know Richmond are the greatest team. Call it off. Bring out the 2020 premiership beers.

They should just start a 17 round season in the first week of May, that leaves a bye before finals and guarantees the GF will be in September. ( no GF allowed in October this year)
AFL were eyeing a 17 round season but have been advised that they should get as many rounds completed as possible because it is likely that the season will be interrupted with rounds removed mid stream. In that event rescheduling will occur and the scenario would possibly end as a seventeen game season. The AFL will bank as many games as possible before halting the season temporarily or permanently. This will also ensure the revenue lost from TV rights will be minimised.

Coronavirus is spreading exponentially.
Only a couple of weeks ago, it was only one group of ferry passengers quarantined on Christmas Island.
It was a "feel good" media story when they were released.
Now the virus is a community pandemic.
The latest fatality is a young woman returning from the US who infected an older relative.
If they have to cancel the regular season, so be it.

Last edited:

We should have $5 million in the kitty which is the estimated cost to the club of a season, a media report said.
Our senior players took pay cuts a couple of years ago.
Players might have to take pay cuts, say 30 per cent.
Refund part of the annual 2020 membership or rollover to 2021 membership discount.
Richmond is one of the wealthiest clubs we should be able to weather the storm for one year, if it is worst case scenario of season cancellation.
Meanwhile:
"Serie A doctors have issued a joint warning advising against a return to club training after four more players on Saturday tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the tally to 11."

Last edited:
If one player tests positive, then everyone will have to be tested, including staff.
Coaches, assistants, football department, physios, doctors.
It would be insane.

Last edited:
Coronavirus is spreading exponentially.
Only a couple of weeks ago, it was only one group of ferry passengers quarantined on Christmas Island.
It was a "feel good" media story when they were released.
Now the virus is a community pandemic.
The latest fatality is a young woman returning from the US who infected an older relative.
If they have to cancel the regular season, so be it.

They should I rekon as there’s going to be to many games suspended in the end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not long, I’m looking forward to it.

In all seriousness I wonder how Richmond, Collingwood and West Coast are going to adapt to playing silent football games?
Affecting how they go will be how the umpires go with no crowd influence.
West Coast the big loses imo, no more armchair rides with the usual 5 goal umpiring advantage over there.

There's basically no evidence that suggests that people who are asymptomatic are able to communicate the virus as almost all cases where this occurred the person who communicated it just had mild symptoms and didn't immediately recognise them.
Wrong.

Gastro stopped you going back to back in 2018 and now coronavirus likely stopping you doing the same in 2020. Who broke the mirror and crossed the black cat?

edit: I suppose if this season was canned and you won in 2021 that's still going back to back?
The Coronavirus will be the winner in 2020 and will have more flags than Freo.

If one player tests positive, then everyone will have to be tested, including staff.
Coaches, assistants, football department, physios, doctors.
It would be insane.
I’m currently on leave but in a few weeks I’ll be back on a crew of 17 people cooking and eating in the same mess room, operating equipment together, sitting in the sane quiet room together, sleeping in the same dormitory together, Sharing the same gym, locker room, toilets, showers then at the end of shift swapping with another 17 until we return to relieve them plus 2 other crews also.. it’s bad enough just when somebody has a cold. And there are plenty of other similar set ups around the world..
Can’t wait.

Gastro stopped you going back to back in 2018 and now coronavirus likely stopping you doing the same in 2020. Who broke the mirror and crossed the black cat?

edit: I suppose if this season was canned and you won in 2021 that's still going back to back?

There may no longer be a league to play for in 2021 if this season is cancelled, given the extreme and almost unrecoverable financial impact it will have on all 18 clubs and the AFL administration as a whole, with sponsorships, gate revenue, TV deals, etc all being under very real threat.

And no, I'm not joking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Rd1 Richmond v Carlton MCG 7:25pm Thursday 19th March Flag Unfurling²

Remove this Banner Ad

Back