RDFL 2016 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to keep you all awake and interested what was the outcome on the Burkett boys. Keston did they go elsewhere or was our mail right and they are staying!
That's was also discussed at Lancefield pub two,weeks ago.
They had promised to play for Lancefield if a couple of Lancefield good b grade crickets played cricket at Romsey a grade next season. That was agreed to. About 3 days later they decided to stay at Romsey.
Question asked was how much are they getting paid to stay at Romsey.

Agree with Diggers list they would smash the Melton sides if going full bore. If you look at club as a whole including juniors I am told by melton people centrals are now or very fast becoming the strongest club in the town, unfortunately for them their results and ladder position in past seasons is what they need to improve to cement that. Melton and Melton South are winning 3-5 games per year tops for the last 5 years and juniors from both clubs seem to be going to Centrals with their numbers boosting again with the move to Arnolds Creek facilities. Melton South did not have under 16 team last year and Melton went from two teams to 1 one at 16 level which must be a concern. Good on guys like Slyone for getting in there and having a dip to put Melton South back on the right path as it seems the community has been voting with its feet.

Agree with Diggers list they would smash the Melton sides if going full bore. If you look at club as a whole including juniors I am told by melton people centrals are now or very fast becoming the strongest club in the town, unfortunately for them their results and ladder position in past seasons is what they need to improve to cement that. Melton and Melton South are winning 3-5 games per year tops for the last 5 years and juniors from both clubs seem to be going to Centrals with their numbers boosting again with the move to Arnolds Creek facilities. Melton South did not have under 16 team last year and Melton went from two teams to 1 one at 16 level which must be a concern. Good on guys like Slyone for getting in there and having a dip to put Melton South back on the right path as it seems the community has been voting with its feet.

It's a great conversation topic. I'm sure Melton wouldn't be happy being out of town, although some new housing is still growing out that way.
Melton Sth kind of stuck in that pocket but was once one of the better grounds in the west. Is that area a bit residential and housing is more older style? Doesn't seem like the council has upgraded the facilities to improve there statue. Also where is there second ground?
So that left a hole in the other side of Melton in where the Centrals have jumped in.

Seems like a new venture might overtake the older clubs. Bit like the AFL system yeah. In my opinion I think 2 senior teams in Melton is enough not 3. But I'm far from an expert on these clubs or leagues. Just a concerned footy follower who remembers when Melton Sth were a strong successful great club back in the day. Probably still a great club.

So Danger do you think Melton Centrals "might" overtake both Melton Sth and Melton in the next few years as the best team in Melton? Interested to hear your thoughts. To me this would be a tragedy as both Melton Sth and Melton have some great history. Both sides were strong many years ago!!
I hope to see all Melton teams do well. I think Melton South and the Bloods suffer in that league. Poor crowds, the eastern teams get shunned in comparison to the Ballarat teams. Also, their performances have been ordinary over the last 3 years. Centrals have the better facility now and their junior program and numbers are a lot better. Centrals just need senior level results to establish themselves. Going by recruiting And established players you can argue that Centrals have now got a better top 5 in regards to players in comparison to the other Melton teams, maybe I'm wrong.
I hope all Melton teams can improve next year. Do personally think it would be better if all 3 Melton teams were in the RDFL, just my opinion.

I hope to see all Melton teams do well. I think Melton South and the Bloods suffer in that league. Poor crowds, the eastern teams get shunned in comparison to the Ballarat teams. Also, their performances have been ordinary over the last 3 years. Centrals have the better facility now and their junior program and numbers are a lot better. Centrals just need senior level results to establish themselves. Going by recruiting And established players you can argue that Centrals have now got a better top 5 in regards to players in comparison to the other Melton teams, maybe I'm wrong.
I hope all Melton teams can improve next year. Do personally think it would be better if all 3 Melton teams were in the RDFL, just my opinion.
I'v been saying it for years! agree, Melton teams, Gisborne & Sunbury Lions should all be playing in the RDFL.

A Melton side in the WRFL/EDFL would be a strong proposition I would have thought.

Would be competitive in the WRFL and be around 4-6 on the ladder but would struggle in EDFL premier league. I watched a 1/2 game at Melton last year against Lake Wendouree and on that performance wouldnt match the premier clubs. Probably go ok in div1 though.

Would be competitive in the WRFL and be around 4-6 on the ladder but would struggle in EDFL premier league. I watched a 1/2 game at Melton last year against Lake Wendouree and on that performance wouldnt match the premier clubs. Probably go ok in div1 though.
They'd be a div 1 Edfl side imo.
They're capable of recruiting some pretty handy players, they just haven't been able to put it all together.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

They'd be a div 1 Edfl side imo.
They're capable of recruiting some pretty handy players, they just haven't been able to put it all together.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

The issue with 3 clubs in Melton is not the number of players but the spread of business sponsorship $$ across 3 teams. This restricts the clubs playing spenditure.
Sunbury expanding and has 2 teams and now 3 teams.
Bacchus Marsh expanding and has 2 teams. Both going better than the Melton clubs with Darly having plenty of off field helpers.

PS: we might get told to move this to the BFL. Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue with 3 clubs in Melton is not the number of players but the spread of business sponsorship $$ across 3 teams. This restricts the clubs playing spenditure.
Sunbury expanding and has 2 teams and now 3 teams.
Bacchus Marsh expanding and has 2 teams. Both going better than the Melton clubs with Darly having plenty of off field helpers.

PS: we might get told to move this to the BFL. Lol
The issue is partly players but mainly player participation in general, for some reason Melton just don't get the same participation levels as Sunbury in local football. I know in some suburban areas this has occurred because of soccer but that is not the case in Melton because the soccer clubs have low numbers at junior level as well. Whatever the reasons I know all clubs are working hard to increase participation and get Melton as a whole back to being a strong football area. Although I'm involved with Centrals now I grew up in an era of Melton and Melton South being feared in the BFL and football in Melton was thriving and with the right people in place at all clubs I hope those days are back soon.
There is plenty of dollars from local business to go around to help 3 clubs and the answer is definitely not EDFL or WRFL, the Melton football community has always and will always be better suited to country football especially considering the netball side of things. I think Slyone would be right with a move back to the RDFL for Bloods and South the best fit, that move alone would mean in 18 weeks there would be 6 local derby's a year which would bring great crowds to the footy not to mention Bloods and South would get more supporters travelling to away games.

The issue is partly players but mainly player participation in general, for some reason Melton just don't get the same participation levels as Sunbury in local football. I know in some suburban areas this has occurred because of soccer but that is not the case in Melton because the soccer clubs have low numbers at junior level as well. Whatever the reasons I know all clubs are working hard to increase participation and get Melton as a whole back to being a strong football area. Although I'm involved with Centrals now I grew up in an era of Melton and Melton South being feared in the BFL and football in Melton was thriving and with the right people in place at all clubs I hope those days are back soon.
There is plenty of dollars from local business to go around to help 3 clubs and the answer is definitely not EDFL or WRFL, the Melton football community has always and will always be better suited to country football especially considering the netball side of things. I think Slyone would be right with a move back to the RDFL for Bloods and South the best fit, that move alone would mean in 18 weeks there would be 6 local derby's a year which would bring great crowds to the footy not to mention Bloods and South would get more supporters travelling to away games.

Good points you have raised Wow and I also remember the good old days of going to a few games of footy at Melton Sth when I was very young, as we had family friends up in Melton. But that was many years ago now. Then playing in the pre season night comp at Melton Sth. Great crowds used to attend those games.
If your right about the junior numbers then is it because Melton is regarded as affordable living and the majority of households are on low-mid incomes (no disrespect intended) so maybe the cost of registration, gear, boots, match fees etc is causing the low participation numbers. This then affects the overall income clubs take in.

I think the two melton sides would be a good fit now as they are struggling a bit in the bfl. My only problem is once they do drop down, in ten years time when they get juniors coming out of the ear which should happen as its a growth area, how would the small clubs like lancefield and rockbank feel that struggle for juniors? It would help footy in melton massively and be a wonderful asset to the rdfl but it could kill the little clubs in the rdfl.

I think the two melton sides would be a good fit now as they are struggling a bit in the bfl. My only problem is once they do drop down, in ten years time when they get juniors coming out of the ear which should happen as its a growth area, how would the small clubs like lancefield and rockbank feel that struggle for juniors? It would help footy in melton massively and be a wonderful asset to the rdfl but it could kill the little clubs in the rdfl.
The little clubs are pretty much screwed already so what do you fo with Sunbury ?

There are four teams IN Sunbury:

Sunbury Lions
Sunbury Kangaroos
East Sunbury
Rupertswood

Surrounded closely by Diggers and Riddell. If Sunbury can survive with 4-6 teams, how can't Melton survive with 3??
The demographic in Sunbury is very different to that of Melton. Football is not the number one sport in Melton anymore. The kids there don't want to play footy. The cost of playing organised sport is also a major factor for families in the outer West. I work in the Wyndham area and see so many talented soccer kids that don't play for a club because their parents can't afford it or have come from a part of the world where the culture of kids playing sport is not established like it is in Oz. There are hundreds of Majak Daw's and Thomas Deng's out there. We just need to get them into the system and expose them to the pathways. It's not an easy job, there are so many barriers that blokes like us on this forum just don't comprehend but what makes it even harder for the Melton teams is that many of these kids, if they could participate in organised sport, would choose soccer first anyway. Good luck to all the teams in Melton. Particularly the bloods and panthers who have such a rich history.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The demographic in Sunbury is very different to that of Melton. Football is not the number one sport in Melton anymore. The kids there don't want to play footy. The cost of playing organised sport is also a major factor for families in the outer West. I work in the Wyndham area and see so many talented soccer kids that don't play for a club because their parents can't afford it or have come from a part of the world where the culture of kids playing sport is not established like it is in Oz. There are hundreds of Majak Daw's and Thomas Deng's out there. We just need to get them into the system and expose them to the pathways. It's not an easy job, there are so many barriers that blokes like us on this forum just don't comprehend but what makes it even harder for the Melton teams is that many of these kids, if they could participate in organised sport, would choose soccer first anyway. Good luck to all the teams in Melton. Particularly the bloods and panthers who have such a rich history.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Great post Jack. Think this has answered a few questions. I guess it's been a good discussion point as it was going a bit quite on here. What's our/your next subject?

Slight variation on this but Gisborne have launched a second junior side the Gisborne Giants, will be interesting to see if it develops into a senior Rdfl side
Thats the plan, to bring in a second gissy senior team i heard its planned for new gisborne.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFL 2016 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back