RDFL 2016 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Great post trev!!!!!!

Obviously we are all in the early stages of the points system and will all soon be faced with the salary cap. So i ask everyone for their thoughts at this early stage.

I personally can not see how our comp can keep getting stronger with the points system being introduced. It limits every clubs recruiting and the fact our comp is surrounded by stronger comps will make it near impossible to keep our talent here. Our players will be targetted by all surrounding leagues and on the flip side we will all be very very limited to bringing in quality from stronger leagues. If the points system was designed for equalisation may i be the first to say that the lower clubs will now find it harder than ever to catch up to the pack at the top. Just wait to the cap comes in next year and some clubs have to lose 50k worth of their playing list. Once again we will see the leaving players end up in the stronger comps surrounding us. Imo every club should have stood up and refused the new system like several other comps have done. Im happy to embrace the new system because obviously it affects us all however maintain my opinion that the rdfl is now 5 to 10 years away from being a woefull comp again!!!!!
I could not agree with you more.If all the presidents were to get together and refuse the point system and salary cap what would the rdfl and vfl do?Are they going to stop everyone from playing if all clubs made sure they are over the points on a weekly basis.Also you could be looking at the bigger leagues of having a salary cap of 250k plus to what the rdfl of 100k.Edfl have dropped every player by 2 points Rdfl at this stage 1 point.I have heard on the grapevine a country league has already told the vfl to take a flying jump and will not be putting any of this in place.I know this will never happen and a stupid idea but it would be funny if everyone played their best team in the reserves no salary cap worries and no hassle of points.Also great post blues12 and mongrel.

I could not agree with you more.If all the presidents were to get together and refuse the point system and salary cap what would the rdfl and vfl do?Are they going to stop everyone from playing if all clubs made sure they are over the points on a weekly basis.Also you could be looking at the bigger leagues of having a salary cap of 250k plus to what the rdfl of 100k.Edfl have dropped every player by 2 points Rdfl at this stage 1 point.I have heard on the grapevine a country league has already told the vfl to take a flying jump and will not be putting any of this in place.I know this will never happen and a stupid idea but it would be funny if everyone played their best team in the reserves no salary cap worries and no hassle of points.Also great post blues12 and mongrel.
I think you may find the debate on the points system is far from over
If it's true that Rockbank have had a walkout as stated by another poster earlier then surely they will need more points than they have been allocated to survive and be competitive.
Like I said earlier I just can't understand how AFL Vic and the Goldfields can rate a player on the highest level they played 3 years ago.
3 bloody years ago ?? Seriously
If the presidents of the league clubs don't start to stand up to the powers that be, this league could be in serious trouble just remember as Doona clearly stated in his post
The clubs are the stakeholders of this Comp and have the power to stand up as a collective to change things
The board are there to represent what's best for all clubs and the league in general.
If it's about equalisation then why are the major leagues allocated more points than the RDFNL
Let me tell you why
So the major leagues can rape and pillage our good young players and senior talent making our league a breeding ground for other comps to go from strength to strength and closing the doors on some of the lower clubs in our comp.
There is a bigger picture here but the so called powers that are never fully clear on what that is
They want clubs to regulate the points system and be held accountable for any mistakes, surely we pay enough bloody money in league fees for powers that be to control this system.
2 months out and clubs are still not clear on what their players are rated at because the information has been drip fed to clubs.
For those that haven't had the time to read the new points system do yourself a favour and check it out
It's nearly a full time gig.
Presidents stand up and grow some for the sake of this comp !!!!!

From the introduction of the points system I have long expressed that the underlying philosophy is not about club sustainability as it is called, but about ensuring the so called Tier 3 major leagues are strong. It has been embarrassing that the majors (bendigo, ballarat, geelong etc etc) have had players and crowds leaving in droves to play community footy in what they term the district leagues. REMEMBER, where are all the paid administrators.....in the major leagues, how do they also justify their positions and salaries with this occurring. More than that as others have now been stating, it is solely about stopping player movement to the district leagues and keeping players in the other leagues, that's why the points are more the salary cap is more. Mongrel and skip spot on, this league is now headed one way, yes the clubs are responsible for things getting out of control, but that means the clubs are responsible for fixing things. AFL VIC do not want cale Morton and taylor hine in the RDFL, they do not want a mitch farmer straight from the afl playing with mates in the RDFNL, they want them in the vfl or the 'major leagues'. I also believe kids these days, you take away their choice, they will walk away, not follow your rules. Some guys play a lot of years of VFL / AFL footy to then want to just go back and have a kick with their mates, now there is rules in place to limit that opportunity. If the rockbankers recruit 5 guns to say 25 points that leaves them with about 17-20 points doesn't it which requires 17 locals or gun players been around for 3 or 4 years to get them to 1 pointers to fill that void just to field a competitive team. How long is it gonna take for Rockbank to have 17 1 pointers to be really competitive. JOKE! Central Highlands and the RDFL are thriving leagues, because they are relevant to their respective communities, fight to keep it or you will just become the Ballarat and Bendigo little brother.

All 12 presidents contact the league and tell them to start at 50 points and work down from there if all 12 Chiefs agree then they don't have a say

Think there are a couple in front of broadford

My point is that the year that rock bank played finals they recruited and paid more than usual it was not sustainable and it isn't for 95 % of clubs
My point is they would have a better chance recruiting from the biggest growth area in the southern hemisphere being whyndam than getting guys to come across then have to travel every other week further than to rock bank ....

We all know the cost to run a club and be competitive is quite hefty and that eventually volunteers get worn out and sick of the constant battle to raise funds as I stated this problem was caused by greed and a lack of control by leagues
The only problem is that Wyndham area is 20 klms from Rockbank and already have Tarneit Hoppers Xing Wyndham Suns Wyndhamvale Glenorden Werribee Districts Manor Lakes Old Westbourne and Werribee Centrals that's 9 senior clubs

The only problem is that Wyndham area is 20 klms from Rockbank and already have Tarneit Hoppers Xing Wyndham Suns Wyndhamvale Glenorden Werribee Districts Manor Lakes Old Westbourne and Werribee Centrals that's 9 senior clubs
This area is the biggest growth area in the Southern Hemisphere and no doubt the best drawing area for rock bank along with Melton 20 km is better then trying to get them from Sunbury or Romsey broadford or even Melbourne this is why the WRFL is there only real fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My memory has lost me on this one, but were Rockbank always in the RDFL or did they once play in the WRFL? I remember a year when Lowerson coached them and he bought a few players with him.

My memory has lost me on this one, but were Rockbank always in the RDFL or did they once play in the WRFL? I remember a year when Lowerson coached them and he bought a few players with him.
I believe they where in the wrfl ? Will be interesting to see how they travel this season but div 3 wrfl would be a good starting point iffy they moved allowing the growth of the area over the next 5-8 years to develop and grow the club they would be competitive adlesast

Looking at the clearances Craig Harvey from diggers to Melton any thoughts? also Clarke and Fenton leaving Sunbury don't think that investment worked for them there

Looking at the clearances Craig Harvey from diggers to Melton any thoughts? also Clarke and Fenton leaving Sunbury don't think that investment worked for them there
Stupid question about clarke and fenton, both spuds and look at where they finished, jeeez investment haha did brerton work for the pies or sydney or just a waste of coin. I say waste of coin.

I believe they where in the wrfl ? Will be interesting to see how they travel this season but div 3 wrfl would be a good starting point iffy they moved allowing the growth of the area over the next 5-8 years to develop and grow the club they would be competitive adlesast
Travel?? With no 2s team in the comp they shouldn't be in a comp at all.

Kruizer are you saying Rockbank are not entering the Reserves comp?

Hey Doona, do Rockbank have juniors, especially 16s & 18s. I see Melton Centrals & Diggers Rest look to be getting bigger. It's going to be a battle for Rockbank I reckon. I'm not going to the WRFL actually fixes the problem. Also there's nothing wrong with going into recess and concentrating on building your juniors if you have numbers and of course a figurehead. Interested to get your thoughts mate on if a club was to go into recess. Can't have a club with no reserves. That doesn't work as ultimately the seniors will struggle for numbers into the season..

Fenno may have needed another year at Sunbury to settle into a key forward role. Harvey always has a heavy influence against Riddell setting up Diggers runners. Pretty sure he won a few B&Fs.

Have Rockbank seeked/investigated additional player points from the RDFL to take away any limitations they may face on the recruiting front. I think they will need special compensation in the short/medium term.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFL 2016 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back