RDFL Thread 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i only know my appointment mate, so you blokes will have to wait til sat/ sun, i'm going to be at a footy oval umpiring a final thats about as much as i can disclose:p

Why don't you just say you are in the Ballarat competition. I really can't believe it. Once again the RDFLUA send one of thier best umpires out of this league. I don't really understand why. We have two huge finals this weekend. Umpire22 I'm confident you'll get the golden whistle this year and probably do the senior RDFL grand final, in my opinion I think you should be doing the best final each week from here on in. What are other peoples thoughts?

Couple of drops of rain in Kilmore this morning at about 6-7am. Was there any over Woodend way? Knowing Gilbert Gordon Oval, it only takes a few drops to turn that into a bog :D

Also, I'm off for the day fellas, have a sportsman's day in Albury - huge line-up boasting Lee Freedman as the number one guest. Hope I don't pick up the horse flu on the eve of the footy finals!

hey mr nicholls, u seem to have a bit of pull in the leauge, just wondering if you can organise for the bowen (if it hasnt already) the sheets that have the round by round votes on them for all 3 divs?
it was done a few years ago and it was good because guys who couldnt go, who got votes could see which game that got the votes in. last year there was only a total votes sheet.
i know that players always remember their good games and would like to see if they were worthy of the umpires votes for that day or if they missed out.

plus its a good thing to chat about while your running the warm up laps to have a laugh with your mates.
maybe if you can ask the "big boss" couldnt to hard i would think.................... after all you proclaim to be the number 1 journo!!!!

plus heard from a mate that the WH ground is in good nick, bring both moulded and grasscats .................yes i did say grasscats. with the recent spring like weather that ground has apparantly dried up the all the water/mud and sloush that was there a couple of weeks ago, and has got a quite bit had.

hey mr nicholls, u seem to have a bit of pull in the leauge, just wondering if you can organise for the bowen (if it hasnt already) the sheets that have the round by round votes on them for all 3 divs?
it was done a few years ago and it was good because guys who couldnt go, who got votes could see which game that got the votes in. last year there was only a total votes sheet.
i know that players always remember their good games and would like to see if they were worthy of the umpires votes for that day or if they missed out.

plus its a good thing to chat about while your running the warm up laps to have a laugh with your mates.
maybe if you can ask the "big boss" couldnt to hard i would think.................... after all you proclaim to be the number 1 journo!!!!

plus heard from a mate that the WH ground is in good nick, bring both moulded and grasscats .................yes i did say grasscats. with the recent spring like weather that ground has apparantly dried up the all the water/mud and sloush that was there a couple of weeks ago, and has got a quite bit had.

I'll see how I go BOG. I don't think it will be too much of a problem though.

And just a few potholes that should hopefully be ironed out today... :thumbsu:

Ballarat Courier

No exodus allowed: BFL

A BOLD bid to grab up to half the Ballarat Football League's clubs by a rival league will be thwarted, BFL chief executive Rod Ward said yesterday.

Ward said the RegionalOne BFL would not allow its competition to be "decimated" by advances to its member clubs by the Riddell District Football League.

The RDFL has made a play to entice Bacchus Marsh, Darley, Melton, Melton South and Sunbury into the top division of a two-tier competition, after discussing the plan with the Sunbury Lions.

Ward acknowledged the Riddell District league had formally advised the BFL of its plans. He said he had an email from AFL Victoria chief executive Peter Schwab, though, saying that AFL Victoria had not been approached by the RDFL yet.

"The clubs are free to engage in discussions with any league they wish but there is a process to be followed in such matters," Ward said.

"I can assure that whilst the Ballarat Football League would consider individual applications for a clearance on a case-by-case basis, the league would not allow our healthy and vibrant league to be decimated by allowing the clearance of a multiple number of clubs."

Apart from Sunbury, which is considering a move to the RDFL or the Essendon and District Football League as part of a major review, none of the listed clubs said they had received a formal approach from the Riddell league.

Of the BFL's other "eastern bloc" clubs, Bacchus Marsh was the least receptive to a move, while Melton South said it would look at any proposal but would be unlikely to leave the BFL unless there was an exodus of its neighbours to the RDFL.

"We haven't received anything from the Riddell League yet. We haven't had a second thought because we're simply not interested," Bacchus Marsh president John Connors said yesterday. "We have a committee meeting on

Wednesday and if there has been any correspondence it will be presented then but, as far as I'm concerned, we're a Ballarat Football League club and we're pretty happy about how we're being treated by the league."

Darley vice president Shayne Ward admitted the RDFL plan had not been discussed by the club's committee, while Melton president Michael Williams said the club would not comment until it had received a proposal from the
RDFL.

Melton South vice president Brendan Morrissy said a lot would have to change before the Panthers would consider a shift back to the Riddell league.

"It would be a backward step for the club at the moment," Morrissy said.

"At present it is a lot lower level as a league and we couldn't drop back into that league."

"Unless the rest of them (Darley, Melton, Sunbury) went across we wouldn't go across. We want to keep our rivalries and derbies, and we wouldn't want to split that up."

Harry's Happenings - The Finals Edition

1st Elimination Final

Romsey v Diggers Rest

There has been a healthy rivalry between these two clubs since the finals series of 2005. In the first final Diggers gave the Redbacks an 8 goal flogging at Kilmore. In the Preliminary final 2 weeks later at Macedon, the Redbacks returned the favour and then some, winning by around 12 goals. These results go to show how finals footy can change on a week to week basis.

This weekend the Redbacks and the Burra will do battle on the highly controversial Gilbert Gordon Oval, Woodend. With a few drops of rain about the district the ground has the capability of turning into a bog, however from all reports the ground has firmed up and some one has even suggested, and as crazy as it sounds, players could wear grass cats!!!:eek:

The key to this match will be the onballers. The battle between Connellan and Jose alone, will be worth the admission price. Then you have the battle between Sims and McLellan, Heritage and Morgan etc.... The fact that the game is played at Woodend will help the Burra as their ground is very similar in size, it's short and wide across the middle. The key for the Redbacks is getting first hands on the footy in the middle and feeding it to their running players in Rob Keenan and Harrison. These two fleet footed young guys are capable of decimating opposition with their run, carry and delivery of the footy. Burlak up forward has been a shining light for the Redbacks in the second half of the season and is arguably the inform forward of the league. Damian Janner will have his hands full this week and while he has been rock solid all year, he'll need to really dig deep and find a little extra this week. Especially if the ball is delivered into the forward line at a rate of knots.

Harry's Tip: Romsey by 22 points in a thriller.

Qualifying Final

Woodend Hesket v Sunbury Kangaroos

These two side have had a couple of ripper clashes this year, with one win a piece. The first clash saw the Roos home by 13 points, and the second saw the Hawks get home by 17 points in a very low scoring affair.

This game will also be a battle of the mid-field. Sipthorpe will have his hands full this week with both McInerny boys, Bonnici and Helmers all running through the middle. Sippy will have the support of Podbury after he was cleared of any wrong doing by the tribunal this week. Podbury is a genuine play maker and often gets first hands on the footy from Matt Stacey. He then dodges and weaves to give off quick hand balls to set up Sipthorpe and other running players.

With Dowling being held to 1 goal last week I dare say he will be fired up to turn his form around, and I would expect him to kick a bag. Matt Stacey will have a massive task ahead of him this week having to tackle both Steve James and Jamie Cuffe. Steve James was named as the starting ruckman in the RDFL team of the year and any body who knows Cuffe, knows how good he is. Remember, even though he is older, he hasn't got any shorter nor has he lost any footy smarts.

I expect this game could go down to the wire, but given the game is played on the big, open Riddell ground, it will be the team with the fittest legs that will take home the chocolates.

Harry's Tip: Woodend by 29 points.

Good luck all the guys and girls pulling them on this weekend. FINALS IS HERE!!:thumbsu::thumbsu: and Harry's EXCITED:D:D:D

That time of the year again.......the reason you play footy!!! Good luck to all teams playing.

Romsey V Diggers - Two words.......Brydan Morgan. This bloke lives for September. In 04' he tore apart Diggers @ Gilbert Gordon in the 1st Semi, in '05 he tore apart Centrals @ Gilbert Gordon in the 1st Semi, and in '06 he kicked half a dozen against the kangas in the elimination @ Riddell on one leg when the Redbacks were outplayed after quarter time. Expect the same on Saturday. Romsey by 19 points.

Woodend V Sunbury - After the Kangas towelled Romsey in the last 3 quarters of last years elimination final, i genuinely believed they had the team to go on and win it. Even though it didn't eventuate, I have a similar feeling this year. If the Roos can get over the Hawks on Sunday, they can really challenge Riddell for the Holy Grail. Helmers to show some vintage form reminiscent of his Macedon days in the late 90's. Sunbury by 7 points.

See you up there on Saturday Harry. GO REDBACKS.

1st Elimination Final

Romsey v Diggers Rest

There has been a healthy rivalry between these two clubs since the finals series of 2005. In the first final Diggers gave the Redbacks an 8 goal flogging at Kilmore. In the Preliminary final 2 weeks later at Macedon, the Redbacks returned the favour and then some, winning by around 12 goals. These results go to show how finals footy can change on a week to week basis.

This weekend the Redbacks and the Burra will do battle on the highly controversial Gilbert Gordon Oval, Woodend. With a few drops of rain about the district the ground has the capability of turning into a bog, however from all reports the ground has firmed up and some one has even suggested, and as crazy as it sounds, players could wear grass cats!!!:eek:

The key to this match will be the onballers. The battle between Connellan and Jose alone, will be worth the admission price. Then you have the battle between Sims and McLellan, Heritage and Morgan etc.... The fact that the game is played at Woodend will help the Burra as their ground is very similar in size, it's short and wide across the middle. The key for the Redbacks is getting first hands on the footy in the middle and feeding it to their running players in Rob Keenan and Harrison. These two fleet footed young guys are capable of decimating opposition with their run, carry and delivery of the footy. Burlak up forward has been a shining light for the Redbacks in the second half of the season and is arguably the inform forward of the league. Damian Janner will have his hands full this week and while he has been rock solid all year, he'll need to really dig deep and find a little extra this week. Especially if the ball is delivered into the forward line at a rate of knots.

Qualifying Final

These two side have had a couple of ripper clashes this year, with one win a piece. The first clash saw the Roos home by 13 points, and the second saw the Hawks get home by 17 points in a very low scoring affair.

This game will also be a battle of the mid-field. Sipthorpe will have his hands full this week with both McInerny boys, Bonnici and Helmers all running through the middle. Sippy will have the support of Podbury after he was cleared of any wrong doing by the tribunal this week. Podbury is a genuine play maker and often gets first hands on the footy from Matt Stacey. He then dodges and weaves to give off quick hand balls to set up Sipthorpe and other running players.

With Dowling being held to 1 goal last week I dare say he will be fired up to turn his form around, and I would expect him to kick a bag. Matt Stacey will have a massive task ahead of him this week having to tackle both Steve James and Jamie Cuffe. Steve James was named as the starting ruckman in the RDFL team of the year and any body who knows Cuffe, knows how good he is. Remember, even though he is older, he hasn't got any shorter nor has he lost any footy smarts.

I expect this game could go down to the wire, but given the game is played on the big, open Riddell ground, it will be the team with the fittest legs that will take home the chocolates.

Good luck all the guys and girls pulling them on this weekend. FINALS IS HERE!!:thumbsu::thumbsu: and Harry's EXCITED:D:D:D

Harry, 22 points is hardly a thriller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think the only fairest system that i have heard is the one collingwood use and that gissy uses, its the copeland trophy method, it is really good and dosent restric the 6-8 best player, as we all know there are games that a team plays that have more than 5 good players, so its incrediably hard to fit 8 players into 5 votes.
the system( as i know of) works like this:

the coach has the entire list of who played. he then goses through the list and awards votes to players who he thinks deserves them, this means that up to 22 players can all recieve votes if they are worthy of them, unlike being resrticted to only 5 votes/ 5 players, i was told that the year Kangaroo Flat beat Gissy that only 2 players recieved votes from mguane(sorry about spelling) in that game. players can stil be awarded the 5 votes but it then can have like 8 players on 2, 6 on 1 ect.

i think that this is one of if not the best way to sort out who REALLY is the best and fairest player in your club, extremely fair

What do you guys think?
did i explain myself and the system so that you all understand it?

Sounds like agreat system BOG. I have issues with the way b&f votes are distributed each week and thus who receives votes. For such an important award i dont think the committee OR coaches OR whoever it is that gives out vote cards think enough about who receives the cards. I have never had anytime for mcguane but i think this is best system ive heard of. Im guessing the match committee get together to award the votes.

1st Elimination Final

Romsey v Diggers Rest

Qualifying Final

Expect the hawks to win comfortably (over 39.5) and Diggers in a tight one (under 39.5). Believe the hawks will go all the way & Roos dont perform too well in pressure games. Diggers & Romsey making up numbers really as they are both fair way off top 2 but this should be a classic match on a beautiful surface at Woodend (drove by today). Good grass cover & soft enough underfoot (dont bother with grasscats).

Today's results (sorry for not getting exact margins)

U18s - Macedon d Sunbury Kangaroos by about 20 points. Cats controlled play for much of the day but the Roos made a late charge and got within 11 points in the final term.

Ressies - Riddell kicked out to an early lead, and despite a spirited charge by Romsey to fight back, were too good, winning by about 25-30 points I think.

Seniors - Even first half with Heritage playing exceptionally well. Connellan BOG by a mile, killing Jose in the ruck. Romsey put foot down in second half with Moore dominating Heritage to win by around 45 points. Justin McGregor and Cam Dawson were brilliant for the Redbacks. Ruane was pretty handy for Diggers but their lack of marking forwards let them down again. Sims was okay, Ben John for Romsey was brilliant and won Romsey the game in the third term. Morgan played pretty well, and Burlak was okay too. But Connellan was just sensational

Great post Blues12, the Kangas have certainly come a long way since the old Rovers days. Financially sound now too. Just the senior cup the missing ingredient now, which I'm sure will come in the next few years.

They were financially sound when my father was President. He made that club on-field and off-field and then got stabbed square in the back.

They were financially sound when my father was President. He made that club on-field and off-field and then got stabbed square in the back.

Yes they were, i think matt was more meaning that a number of years back they were in debt, now back on track. A lot of clubs go through that, unfortunately your dad was on the end of it. Club has changed alot now, and he was voted president of the decade from his era.

Big games of football today, the winners will go on to play Riddell, Woodend and Woodend in the 18s, the losers to play Romsey, Riddell and Macedon in the 18s.
Well done to the Roo girls wins in both A and B grade netball yesterday. Doing your club proud.

Well done to all the winners yesterday, and good luck to all today.
Go Roos!!!

TODAY'S RESULTS

Diggers Rest beat Romsey pretty well in the U18s, huge fight apparantely.

Kangas beat the Burra by about 16 points in the magoos.

Sunbury Kangaroos defeated Woodend-Hesket by four points in the seniors, and now play Riddell for a spot in the granny at Romsey on Saturday.

I was at Toolleen (Mt Pleasant) where Broadford got an old fashioned football lesson from Heathcote. The Saints are coming. Former Romsey boys Dan Carroll and Al Meldrum were extremely serviceable, but not in the best. Matty Waters was simply sensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back