RDFL Thread 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon Choate was named captain. Morgan could take Johnstone's spot and McLellan could replace Bonnici. But neither were better than those two this season so they didn't get a gig.

Not even room for them on the bench?? good effort by choate to get captain in a side that didn't play finals

Bonnici, Daniel Sunbury Kangaroos 32
Belleville, Justin Riddell 31
Robertson, Matt Kilmore 28
McLellan, Matthew Romsey 21
Wheelahan, Brian Melton Central 16
Podbury, Paul Woodend/Hesket 15
Kemp, Linton Kilmore 14
Blade, Aaron Riddell 14
Choate, Simon Lancefield 13
Shewan, Jay Lancefield 12
Salpietro, Daniel Woodend/Hesket 12
Jose, Jeremy Diggers Rest 11
Sims, Shaun Diggers Rest 10
Morgan, Brydan Romsey 10
Heritage, Jeff Diggers Rest 9
Forrest, James Woodend/Hesket 9
Connellan, Ryan Romsey 8
Petran, James Riddell 8
Mainey, Thomas Rockbank 8
Sipthorp, Daniel Woodend/Hesket 8
Walker, Luke Rockbank 8
McInerney, Mark Sunbury Kangaroos 7
Bowen, Sam Woodend/Hesket 7
James, Steven Sunbury Kangaroos 7
Smithwick, Scott Lancefield 7
Laurie, Cole Diggers Rest 6
Conway, Phillip Lancefield 6
John, Benjamin Romsey 6
Cuffe, Jamie Sunbury Kangaroos 6
Hoare, Stephen Diggers Rest 5
Allen, Michael Riddell 5
Krul, Matthew Rockbank 5
Christiansen, Aaron Macedon FC 5
Knight, Scott Macedon FC 5
Bugeja, Andrew Diggers Rest 4
Salter, Tristan Kilmore 4
Straney, Ryan Kilmore 4
Graham, Sam Lancefield 4
Burlak, Stephen Romsey 4
Jarrott, Matt Melton Central 4
Besanko, Dean Riddell 4
Taylor, Michael Rockbank 4
Stacey, Matthew Woodend/Hesket 4
Thompson, Craig Diggers Rest 4
Ruane, Stephen Diggers Rest 3
Wright, James Macedon FC 3
Snowden, Paul Melton Central 3
Peatling, Mark Riddell 3
Welfare, Jason Rockbank 3
Nicholson, Dylan Rockbank 3
Dawson, Cameron Romsey 3
Edwards, Luke Romsey 3
Wilson, Chris Romsey 3
Johnstone, Adam Woodend/Hesket 3
Manser, Peter Woodend/Hesket 3
Leggett, Travis Woodend/Hesket 3
Collins, Alastair Macedon FC 3
Dowling, Rick Woodend/Hesket 3
Partridge, Luke Melton Central 3
Cornish, David Kilmore 3
Bull, Joshua Diggers Rest 3
Misken, Danny Sunbury Kangaroos 3
Donovan, Guy Woodend/Hesket 3
Richmond, Ben Romsey 2
Goudge, Adam Kilmore 2
Vella, Paul Woodend/Hesket 2
McDonald, Tim Riddell 2
Allen, Jason Riddell 2
Wadden, Heath Riddell 2
Ash, Nicholas Riddell 2
Shaughnessy, Matthew Riddell 2
Newitt, Brendan Rockbank 2
Shirley, Rob Rockbank 2
Basilone, Joseph Rockbank 2
Ploog, Garth Sunbury Kangaroos 2
McInerney, Leigh Sunbury Kangaroos 2
Sporle, Leigh Sunbury Kangaroos 2
O'Connor, Stuart Macedon FC 2
Colliss, Justin Kilmore 2
Ng, Kar Weng Woodend/Hesket 2
Hede, Travis Kilmore 2
Baker, Luke Romsey 2
Allen, Nathan Riddell 2
Bullen, Kane Melton Central 2
Miskin, Danny Sunbury Kangaroos 2
Hardwick, James Woodend/Hesket 2
Hole, Nathan Sunbury Kangaroos 2
Binney, Justin Romsey 2
Reilly, Daniel Diggers Rest 1
Ryan, Liam Kilmore 1
Barnes, Glenn Kilmore 1
Davern, Marcus Kilmore 1
Collins, Timothy Lancefield 1
Helmers, Dean Sunbury Kangaroos 1
Toholka, Ryan Macedon FC 1
Densley, Brendan Melton Central 1
Henderson, Paul Melton Central 1
O'Brien, Tim Melton Central 1
Plummer, Blair Melton Central 1
McCarthy, Michael Romsey 1
Niki, Damien Sunbury Kangaroos 1
Barker, Luke Woodend/Hesket 1
Ploog, Joeb Sunbury Kangaroos 1
Hildebrand, Michael Diggers Rest 1
Keenan, Dave Romsey 1
Keenan, Robert Romsey 1
Allen, Jason Riddell 1

Without going into too much depth, some interesting things I found were:

Dave Cornish getting just 3 votes

Both Robbo and Bonnici got BOGS in their first four games. Before round 5 they both had 12 votes. Bonnici got one that day against Kilmore to take the lead.

Leigh McInerney getting 2 votes, i thought was a little poor, anyway would have only taken votes form Bonnici so......

Other thing to look at is the amount of backman in that list, count on one hand!

Leigh McInerney getting 2 votes, i thought was a little poor, anyway would have only taken votes form Bonnici so......

Other thing to look at is the amount of backman in that list, count on one hand!

Both McInerney's got jibbed by the umps. Our own Harry Wilson even got three votes. The voting this year was much different than in the past. The Buffalo award may start taking over.

how the hell cornish only got 3 votes has got me well n truly stuffed! n i would also add that robbo never plays back flank... chuck him the the guts, also salter played better footy at chf this yr then he did at chb some interesting selections there.... congrats to bonnici

Interesting to see Half Back Line all Kilmore players.Did these guys play there all year

Not sure Digger, but considering Kilmore didn't make the finals, their back line couldn't have been that good. Kemp is a gun, no doubting that, Robertson floats across half back and gets power loads of possies there. I would have had Tim Cox as the Centre Half Back of the year, in my opinion.

how the hell cornish only got 3 votes has got me well n truly stuffed! n i would also add that robbo never plays back flank... chuck him the the guts, also salter played better footy at chf this yr then he did at chb some interesting selections there.... congrats to bonnici

Jason Allen - Riddell 1 vote ? ? ? ? ? :eek:

The official team of the year is as follows:
B: D. Janner, J. Allen, L. Walker.
HB: M. Robertson, T. Salter, L. Kemp.
C: A. Blade, J. Belleville, L. McInerney.
HF: S. Choate, D. Sipthorp, A. Johnstone.
F: B. Wheelahan, D. Cornish, J. Jose.
R: S. James, M. McInerney, D. Bonnici.
I: W. Kairns, M. Allen, A. Christiansen, S. Sims.

How tall is Sipthorp? I thought he was a onballer but named at CHF? Were there no real candidates for that position?

Well done to all award winners on the night. I Played with Dan Bonnici at East Keilor about 6 years ago when he was just coming out of the 18's and it seems he has developed from a goalsneak to a very good ball winning midfielder.

Also congrats to some ex-team mates in Rooster on the Scarborough and Dippa getting runner-up. Stuey Smith fair effort too!

Well done to the Redbacks on Saturday, you ran harder in the second-half and it was a fair result after a scrappy first 2 quarters. I thought Cam Dawson was clearly BOG and Benny John got the whole side going in the 2nd half with his hard running. Bring on the Hawks this Sunday I Say!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonnici wins the Bowen

by Matt Nicholls

SUNBURY Kangaroos midfielder Daniel Bonnici etched his name into Riddell District Football League history on Monday night, by taking out the 2007 Bowen Medal.
In a tight vote count, Bonnici won the best and fairest with 32 votes from Riddell’s Justin Belleville with 31 votes and Kilmore’s Matt Robertson on 28.
With one round to go, Belleville led by a vote from Bonnici, with Robertson three behind.
When Bonnici polled two votes in the final round against Riddell, and with Belleville enjoying a quiet day, the packed gathering knew that the small onballer had won the prestigious award.
A quiet man both on and off the field, Bonnici was chuffed with his prize.
“There was a lot of talk throughout the night that I was going to a contender but I honestly didn’t think I would win,” he said.
“Justin was very unlucky not to holding the medal, he had a terrific season.”
In his acceptance speech, he also thanked his teammates and coach for a terrific year, and pointed out that there was still bigger fish to fry with the Kangaroos searching for their first ever RDFL senior premiership.
Bonnici was recruited by the Kangaroos from Essendon District club East Keilor and has been a revelation in the Roos’ midfield this season.
He averaged over 30 disposals per game and was more than handy in front of goals when able to float forward.
In the Buffalo Sports senior award, judged by the goal umpires, Belleville reversed his fortune with 32 votes over Bonnici on 25.
ROOSTER REIGNS
Romsey’s Brad Cuthbert enjoyed a terrific season in the Redbacks’ reserves and was a worthy winner of the Scarborough Medal.
“Rooster” polled 15 votes to win from teammate Mark Dipietro, Woodend-Hesket’s Liam O’Meara, Sunbury Kangaroos’ Ben Hunting, and Diggers Rest’s Leigh Webster – all on 11 votes.
Cuthbert also won the Buffalo Sports reserves award with 15 votes from Woodend-Hesket’s Travis Leggett on 13.
STUEY’S ‘CHARLIE’
Romsey big-man Stuart Smith was a surprise winner of the Under 18s best and fairest award - the Charles Watson Medal.
Rucking for most games throughout the season, the gentle giant obviously had a good rapport with the umpires and polled 19 votes, defeating Woodend-Hesket’s Shane Bowen on 17.
The Under 18s Buffalo Sports Award went to Riddell’s Ricky Elliott with 21 votes, defeating Kangaroos’ Paul Newton and the Burra’s Blake Robinson who both had 15 votes.
TOP ROOKIE
Kilmore’s Dave Cornish was a worthy winner of the RDFL’s Rookie of the Year. Not only did he lead the competition’s goalkicking award, but he was an invaluable leader on and off the field.
He received a rousing cheer from his peers when he was announced the winner, as Kilmore had the most tables of any club at the night.
STAR SOLDATIC
Lancefield’s Anna Soldatic went one better from runner-up last year to take out this year’s A-grade netball best and fairest – the Ryan Medal.
Soldatic was able to withstand a late charge from Romsey’s Tracey Kay, and last year’s winner Kelly Taylor.
The Lancefield star polled 33 votes to edge Kay out by a vote, with Macedon’s Taylor third on 28 votes.
Diggers Rest’s Michelle Higgins won the B-grade best and fairest.
LIFE MEMBER
In front of a standing ovation and by far the biggest applause of the night, Glen Shilling was inducted as a life member of the Riddell District Football League.
Currently the general manager of the RDFL Umpires’ Association, Shilling has been a long and tireless worker for the competition over the years.
He has helped create a terrific working relationship with the umpires, league and players.
Before Shilling’s presentation, three of his umpires were also honoured.
Reece Noble was judged to be the best field umpire of the year, while Pat Plowman and Kilmore’s Tim Tingiri were deemed to be the best boundary and goal umpires respectively.

How tall is Sipthorp? I thought he was a onballer but named at CHF? Were there no real candidates for that position?

Well done to all award winners on the night. I Played with Dan Bonnici at East Keilor about 6 years ago when he was just coming out of the 18's and it seems he has developed from a goalsneak to a very good ball winning midfielder.

Also congrats to some ex-team mates in Rooster on the Scarborough and Dippa getting runner-up. Stuey Smith fair effort too!

Well done to the Redbacks on Saturday, you ran harder in the second-half and it was a fair result after a scrappy first 2 quarters. I thought Cam Dawson was clearly BOG and Benny John got the whole side going in the 2nd half with his hard running. Bring on the Hawks this Sunday I Say!

hed be your height mate...go saints, well done

Both McInerney's got jibbed by the umps. Our own Harry Wilson even got three votes. The voting this year was much different than in the past. The Buffalo award may start taking over.

Well done to all the winners!
There's more confusing issues than that. For example, Guy Donovan just 3 votes even though he's comprehnsively beaten some of the best midfeiders in the comp including breaking even with Bonnici in the game at Woodend. Just shows hair styles and reputation still count for a lot in the league. Surprised he didn't get a mention ( at the very least on the bench) of the team of the year! Scooter very stiff after taking a side to the top of the ladder (again) with quite a few young blokes and after a few of his more experienced players left! Teams and players who yell the loudest in this league still get heard.

Well done to bonici, but i will tell you one thing i would not want to be Sunbury this weekend Riddell will wipe the floor with them, while Sunbury played well on the weekend against Woodend they are no match for Riddell, Riddell will want to prove a point and show they are the best. In the other game Woodend will bounce back and give Romsey a football lesson, it still will be the best 2 sides in the Final Riddell v Woodend

Congrats to Bonnici, well done. Congrats also go to Rooster (Brad Cuthbert) of the Romsey Reserves side. He is a great running player and has been very stiff not to be getting a game in the 1's. I can't belive Dippa (Mark DiPietro) won the runners up, he only played about 8 games and he's 35. Well done though Dippa, a fantastic effort and it's great to see you haven't lost it, perhaps just slowed up a bit:D

Harry I think he is 37 and played just 6 games.

Nothing from IMS yet today. Must be still in bed after a few gallons of Bourban!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if anything has come out from the brawl on Sunday? Tribunal hearings tonight? Who is attending?

Not sure Digger, but considering Kilmore didn't make the finals, their back line couldn't have been that good. Kemp is a gun, no doubting that, Robertson floats across half back and gets power loads of possies there. I would have had Tim Cox as the Centre Half Back of the year, in my opinion.

yeah i cant see how they picked robbo at half back in the team of the year...he never played as a defender as such - only as a loose man so yes he can always gather plenty of red onion across half back

for mine - team of the year should be picked on where the players play...the back 6 should be genuine defenders - if ya cant fit a midifield player in the middle or forward or even the I/C - well too bad....

the team of the year is a chance for defenders to get some recognition as we all know forwards and midfielders get the glory!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back