RDFL Thread 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
any news on the teams for tomorrow?
is james playing and if so who plays on him, Ng Kairns Trotta?
Has anyone had the upperhand on him this year?
Anyother big match ups to keep an eye on

Roos on the move?

by Matt Nicholls

MEMBERS of the Broadford Football Club committee met with Riddell District Football League general manager Scott McCartney on Monday night to discuss a possible change of leagues for the Roos.
It is believed the RDFL is keen to find a 12th club for 2008, with several in the pipeline.
Several key movers and shakers at Broadford are also keen for the club to move on, with the lack of an Under 18s competition in the Heathcote District Football League hurting the Roos this season.
Because the HDFL thirds’ competition is Under 17s, it meant Broadford was unable to find enough players to fill a team this year, because the Seymour District Junior Football League changed from Under 15s as a top age to Under 16s.
If Broadford was to move, it would be a massive coup for the club off the field.
Crowd numbers, bar takings and sponsorship would all be expected to rise.
Instead of the Roos’ closest opponent being 40 minutes away at Heathcote, and furthest two hours away at Lockington, Broadford’s rivals would all be within an hour’s travel.
The gate takings alone when Broadford hosts Kilmore or Wallan would go close to matching the takings the Roos have over a season.
Broadford president Wayne Fisher said the talks between the club and the RDFL were preliminary, with not all the committee present, but thought the initial meeting was promising.
“We’ll have to sit down and weigh up the situation and see what the general feeling is amongst our players and supporters first,” he said.
Mr Fisher said he would also be addressing the club’s life members to see what their initial thoughts are on a possible move.
Broadford has played in the Riddell District Football League before. The Roos won the 1984 second division flag in the RDFL, before moving across to the HDFL.
According to the October 31 edition of the Kilmore Free Press of that year, one of the main reasons Broadford left the RDFL was because of the more family friendly environment in the Heathcote league.
“We consider the football club should be looking to foster a complete family involvement, and in the present situation, this is not possible in the Riddell league,” Mick McCristal, the then Broadford president said at the time.
The lure of an Under 16s (thirds) competition and netball league in the HDFL was too attractive to the Roos to turn down at the time.
But fast-forward 23 years and the RDFL now has one of the strongest and most even Under 18s competitions, as well as a terrific netball league.
EXPANSION WHISPERS
It is interesting that Broadford has a meeting with the RDFL general manager at the same time whispers are circulating that the coffers behind the Riddell league are keen to see the RDFL return to a two-division competition.
The rumour going around is that a plethora of former RDFL clubs are in the pipeline to rejoin the league in 2010.
Kyneton, Gisborne, Melton South, Sunbury Lions, Melton, Craigieburn, Trentham and even Bacchus Marsh have been linked to the move.
However, it is believed there will not be a promotion/relegation system between the two divisions if it were to happen.
While it would take a massive amount of work to make the RDFL a two-tiered competition, it is possible.
This is how the two divisions may look:
Div 1: Gisborne, Sunbury Lions, Melton, Craigieburn, Kyneton, Melton South, Riddell, Bacchus Marsh.
Div 2: Kilmore, Wallan, Broadford, Romsey, Lancefield, Macedon, Woodend-Hesket, Diggers Rest, Sunbury Kangaroos, Rockbank.
It will certainly have everybody talking.

OMNI - haven't seen your best netball team yet but I have done some follow up on the East Team.

My missus played at Sunbury on a Monday night and apparently the young girls entered a very competitive A grade team when they were 16/17 y/o that was basically team practice for Melb underage state league (I assume that is top standard in Melb). 4 of the girls have been in RDFL teams of year, at different times, one has been B&F, and apparently their coach was an underage Australian player. Sounds pretty good to me! Must be some really good ones out there if these aren't amongst the best. Not knowing the rest, I 'think' the selectors have done OK.

allstarpromopicgw8.jpg

hey matt isnt that what you tried to do to a diggers player earlier this year, only to have you crunched into the turf.
time to give that move up i think mate :p

Pretty much. Just don't know my capabilites :D

THEORY:

Pickles is pregnant with Robbo's baby. That is why Kilmore's best player has lodged a clearance to Tocumwal so he can make some extra cash to cover both the baby and Pickles' eating habits.

Div 1: Gisborne, Sunbury Lions, Melton, Craigieburn, Kyneton, Melton South, Riddell, Bacchus Marsh.
Div 2: Kilmore, Wallan, Broadford, Romsey, Lancefield, Macedon, Woodend-Hesket, Diggers Rest, Sunbury Kangaroos, Rockbank.
It will certainly have everybody talking.[/quote]

Centrals dont get a look in matt?

Cant believe that no one has mentioned that the East's biggest fan and our #1 Journalist Matt Nicholls jumped ship and was at the West training session supporting the West boys last night... Things seem a little down and jumping ship we go hey Matt???

Matt wouldn't be caught dead supporting anything to do with Woodend, even if the Kilmore and Lancefield boys were there, got 2 much of a rev at the end of last year.
By the way, people are normally pretty clued up here so am suprised to see that no one has posted the teams for tomorrow yet. Surely someone knows something.

This is the current Ladder positions after everybody has played once and had a bye. Who will predict the final ladder considering who plays who for the rest of the year.

1 Riddell .................44
Woodend, Macedon, Bye, Centrals, Lancefield, Kangas, Wallan
2 Woodend/Hesket ...40
Riddell, Centrals, Lancefield, Kangas, Bye, Rockbank, Diggers
3 Sunbury Kangaroos.28
Diggers, Romsey, Bye, Macedon, Woodend, Riddell, Centrals
4 Lancefield ............24
Romsey, Kilmore, Woodend, Macedon, Riddell, Centrals, Bye
5 Diggers Rest .........24
Kangas, Wallan, Rockbank, Bye, Romsey, Kilmore, Woodend
6 Macedon FC .........22
Bye, Riddell, Centrals, Lancefeild, Kangas, Wallan, Rockbank
7 Romsey ..............20
Lancefield, Kangas, Wallan, Rockbank, Diggers, Bye, Kilmore
8 Melton Central .....20
Kilmore, Woodend, Melton, Riddell, Bye. Lancefield, Kangas
9 Kilmore ...............20
Centrals, Lancefield, Bye, Wallan, Rockbank, Diggers, Romsey
10 Wallan ................18
Rockbank, Diggers, Romsey, Kilmore, Bye, Macedon, Riddell
11 Rockbank .............4
Wallan, Bye, Diggers, Romsey, Kilmore, Woodend, Macedon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant believe that no one has mentioned that the East's biggest fan and our #1 Journalist Matt Nicholls jumped ship and was at the West training session supporting the West boys last night... Things seem a little down and jumping ship we go hey Matt???

Believe he has found another Robbo to Fawn over now..................... & the lucky man is playing for the West & his Name is Robbo Too, only Difference is this one really can PLAY !

I'm not sure where rumours about Craigieburn coming back to the RDFL start but it is my very strong understanding (being a regular attendee at their club and games) that they are more than happy in the Essendon DFL and are not looking at moving again.

This is the current Ladder positions after everybody has played once and had a bye. Who will predict the final ladder considering who plays who for the rest of the year.

1 Riddell .................44
Woodend, Macedon, Bye, Centrals, Lancefield, Kangas, Wallan
2 Woodend/Hesket ...40
Riddell, Centrals, Lancefield, Kangas, Bye, Rockbank, Diggers
3 Sunbury Kangaroos.28
Diggers, Romsey, Bye, Macedon, Woodend, Riddell, Centrals
4 Lancefield ............24
Romsey, Kilmore, Woodend, Macedon, Riddell, Centrals, Bye
5 Diggers Rest .........24
Kangas, Wallan, Rockbank, Bye, Romsey, Kilmore, Woodend
6 Macedon FC .........22
Bye, Riddell, Centrals, Lancefeild, Kangas, Wallan, Rockbank
7 Romsey ..............20
Lancefield, Kangas, Wallan, Rockbank, Diggers, Bye, Kilmore
8 Melton Central .....20
Kilmore, Woodend, Melton, Riddell, Bye. Lancefield, Kangas
9 Kilmore ...............20
Centrals, Lancefield, Bye, Wallan, Rockbank, Diggers, Romsey
10 Wallan ................18
Rockbank, Diggers, Romsey, Kilmore, Bye, Macedon, Riddell
11 Rockbank .............4
Wallan, Bye, Diggers, Romsey, Kilmore, Woodend, Macedon.

Romsey has a great run home by the look of that, dont have to play riddel, woodend or the improved macedon outfit...inluding the bye romsey should get 20 points at least...4 wins + bye. if they beat either sunbury or diggers they could end up with 24 points getting them to 44...should be good for 4th or 5th you would think...

Roos on the move?

by Matt Nicholls

MEMBERS of the Broadford Football Club committee met with Riddell District Football League general manager Scott McCartney on Monday night to discuss a possible change of leagues for the Roos.
It is believed the RDFL is keen to find a 12th club for 2008, with several in the pipeline.
Several key movers and shakers at Broadford are also keen for the club to move on, with the lack of an Under 18s competition in the Heathcote District Football League hurting the Roos this season.
Because the HDFL thirds’ competition is Under 17s, it meant Broadford was unable to find enough players to fill a team this year, because the Seymour District Junior Football League changed from Under 15s as a top age to Under 16s.
If Broadford was to move, it would be a massive coup for the club off the field.
Crowd numbers, bar takings and sponsorship would all be expected to rise.
Instead of the Roos’ closest opponent being 40 minutes away at Heathcote, and furthest two hours away at Lockington, Broadford’s rivals would all be within an hour’s travel.
The gate takings alone when Broadford hosts Kilmore or Wallan would go close to matching the takings the Roos have over a season.
Broadford president Wayne Fisher said the talks between the club and the RDFL were preliminary, with not all the committee present, but thought the initial meeting was promising.
“We’ll have to sit down and weigh up the situation and see what the general feeling is amongst our players and supporters first,” he said.
Mr Fisher said he would also be addressing the club’s life members to see what their initial thoughts are on a possible move.
Broadford has played in the Riddell District Football League before. The Roos won the 1984 second division flag in the RDFL, before moving across to the HDFL.
According to the October 31 edition of the Kilmore Free Press of that year, one of the main reasons Broadford left the RDFL was because of the more family friendly environment in the Heathcote league.
“We consider the football club should be looking to foster a complete family involvement, and in the present situation, this is not possible in the Riddell league,” Mick McCristal, the then Broadford president said at the time.
The lure of an Under 16s (thirds) competition and netball league in the HDFL was too attractive to the Roos to turn down at the time.
But fast-forward 23 years and the RDFL now has one of the strongest and most even Under 18s competitions, as well as a terrific netball league.
EXPANSION WHISPERS
It is interesting that Broadford has a meeting with the RDFL general manager at the same time whispers are circulating that the coffers behind the Riddell league are keen to see the RDFL return to a two-division competition.
The rumour going around is that a plethora of former RDFL clubs are in the pipeline to rejoin the league in 2010.
Kyneton, Gisborne, Melton South, Sunbury Lions, Melton, Craigieburn, Trentham and even Bacchus Marsh have been linked to the move.
However, it is believed there will not be a promotion/relegation system between the two divisions if it were to happen.
While it would take a massive amount of work to make the RDFL a two-tiered competition, it is possible.

there is no way riddel could compete financially against those other clubs that are mentioned in div 1

OMNI - haven't seen your best netball team yet but I have done some follow up on the East Team.

My missus played at Sunbury on a Monday night and apparently the young girls entered a very competitive A grade team when they were 16/17 y/o that was basically team practice for Melb underage state league (I assume that is top standard in Melb). 4 of the girls have been in RDFL teams of year, at different times, one has been B&F, and apparently their coach was an underage Australian player. Sounds pretty good to me! Must be some really good ones out there if these aren't amongst the best. Not knowing the rest, I 'think' the selectors have done OK.

3 of the five selected pick em selves, they are all class & have runs on the board........ Other 2 are NO better than many girls in the Comp' & should have been left out...... PERIOD !
Are we all done now ?
Move on please, damage done now nothing anyone can do.

Roos on the move?

We consider the football club should be looking to foster a complete family involvement, and in the present situation, this is not possible in the Riddell league,” Mick McCristal, the then Broadford president said at the time.

EXPANSION WHISPERS

I spoke to the above quoted Broadford FC president of 1984 this morning, and the over riding reason for needing to leave the RDFL back was not so much netball or thirds, but more the inability to compete with Div 1 clubs when promoted.

Again I reckon our country town should compete against country towns in a VCFL governed comp - and Id doubt there'd be an eagerness to come up against some of those proposed clubs should your comp return to it's old structure :confused: Was the interest of going to two tiers mentioned in this meeting with Broadford?

there is no way riddel could compete financially against those other clubs that are mentioned in div 1

Riddell's team this year would beat Kyneton and Bacchus Marsh, plus push a fair few of the others. Just because you might not be the best team in Div 1, doesn't mean you shouldn't be there.

I spoke to the above quoted Broadford FC president of 1984 this morning, and the over riding reason for needing to leave the RDFL back was not so much netball or thirds, but more the inability to compete with Div 1 clubs when promoted.

Again I reckon our country town should compete against country towns in a VCFL governed comp - and Id doubt there'd be an eagerness to come up against some of those proposed clubs should your comp return to it's old structure :confused: Was the interest of going to two tiers mentioned in this meeting with Broadford?

I believe it was mentioned at the meeting. Like I said, there is probably not going to be a promotion/relegation system if the old clubs were to return, so Broadford would likely be playing against Kilmore, Wallan, Romsey, Lancefield, Woodend-Hesket, Macedon, Melton Central, Diggers Rest, Sunbury Kangaroos and Rockbank -- pretty much all are country towns.

Matt wouldn't be caught dead supporting anything to do with Woodend, even if the Kilmore and Lancefield boys were there, got 2 much of a rev at the end of last year.

I actually did it because it was a good opportunity to get to know some of the boys I normally have nothing to do with. Put a few faces to names etc. Saw a very good player in Tom Mainey, and had a good laugh with blokes like Cole Laurie and Craig Thompson. I'm embarassed if I'm talking to a player and I don't know their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back