RDFL Thread 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a load of $hit!!! Broadford has only ever worn two strips and I reckon a move away from either would be $hithouse form :thumbsdown:

Yeah i agree i would never want wallan to move away from our black and white stripes either mate, but when we moved to the dvfl 6 yrs ago we nearly changed our jumpers to port power because of montmorency having black and white, but because they were in 1st div the league allowed us to stay the same because we weren't in the same div.
But say if you guys did move i would assume the same thing would happen because of the sunbury kangaroos. Anyway it was just the rumour that i heard

If Broadford do move, does that mean that the juniors follow them or stay in the SDJFL?

If they are run by the same body i would say they would follow, if they are 2 seperate bodies, one would assume the junior club would need to have their own vote(if the committee wanted to follow) to make the move.

could Bford look at a red and white roos strip for when they play sunbury kangas in sunbury???

or perhaps a predominently white jumper with a blue roo - the jumper clash will cause problems....

What's this I hear about Arnel Davis being asked to apply for the Diggers senior coach job next season. Does someone want Hopkins OUT?

thats almost as stupid as the ben cousins going to wallan statement.
jonathan brown playing for rockbank next year is more likely than someone from diggers wanting fitsy out.

On a sightly different slant. Who are the best 'coaches' in the RDFL at the moment. Greenshields and Jared from Sunbury Kangaroos would have to amongst the better ones around ? Also which coaches within the RDFL ranks could coach at a higher level ? Higher level I am saying major league Ballarat FL, Bendigo FL or EDFL A Grade.

Can anyone from Woodend explain how Considine gets dropped before Barker? Both down on form however Considine has out performed Barker. Is the name the key here. I thought that was an old school practice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone from Woodend explain how Considine gets dropped before Barker? Both down on form however Considine has out performed Barker. Is the name the key here. I thought that was an old school practice.

Have no idea why, both about the same this season. Although it must be said that I was very unimpressed with Considine in the All-Star match. All he did was get in the way of other players!! Wouldn't be the first time the Hawks made a forward a scape goat heading into the finals. They dropped Rick Dowling for their premiership campaign last season, despite him leading their goalkicking! According to the RDFL website he has dobbed 45 goals from 12 matches thus far - pretty good going! And where is the bloke they dropped him for to give more room? Overseas and not playing! Lucky they scraped over the line against Romsey and Sunbury Kangaroos in the finals last year and came up against a nervous Riddell side, otherwise people might starting to question how good Mick Giddings actually is :eek:

How does everyone rate each side out of 10 in comparison to what they have gotten out of their list in 2008??

Riddell - 10
W/Hesket - 8.5 (if they had everyone available each week it would be 9.5)
Lancefield - 9.5
Diggers Rest - 8
Sunbury Kangaroos - 8
Macedon - 7.5 (injuries keep them lower)
Wallan - 7
Melton Central 6.5
Romsey - 5
Kilmore - 2
Rockbank - 4

Just had this story emailled to me. It was in the Star newspaper:

Kilmore's four, off they go

by Stuart Teather

CONTROVERSY reigned in round 13 of the Riddell District Football League (RDFL) on Saturday, with the game between Kilmore and Lancefield descending into chaos after halftime.

After what had been a close opening half, a series of contentious umpiring decisions changed the course of the match.

Early in the third quarter, Travis Hede gave away three consecutive 50 metre penalties before being and sent off for mouthing off to the umpire.

This incident started a chain reaction, which saw three more Kilmore players being sent off in quick succession.

Kilmore coach Campbell Spears was scathing in his reaction.

“The first bloke (getting sent off) I can accept, he mouthed off and it was fair enough,” he said.

“The other decisions ... it was the most atrocious piece of umpiring I’ve been involved with.

“They just lost control, the umpires; it wasn’t even within the laws of the game.”

Spears said up until that point, the game had been a tight, even struggle, and having four players off destroyed his side’s chances.

“It was a terrific game; it was a real struggle for both sides... It was a real tough, solid game.”

Lancefield coach Chris Collins had a different perspective on the game. “We started to get on top of Kilmore a bit in terms of general game play - they started to lose their tempers a little bit.

“We commented after the game - we found the umpiring was pretty good and it was pretty consistent.

“They maybe took it a little too far with a couple of players getting sent off, where maybe a stern word would have done.

“But I’ve got no real sympathy - if we’re getting done and our backs are against the wall, I don’t tell our blokes to start throwing punches, I tell them to work a bit harder.”

The result of the match saw Lancefield win by 10 goals. At the time of writing, no one from the RDFL was available for comment.

Elsewhere, Wallan pulled off a big win against Diggers Rest, knocking over the fourth-placed side by 17 points.

A blinding first term from Wallan put the challenge out to Diggers Rest, with six goals to nil to set up a big lead.

It was a case of holding on after that, with Diggers Rest replying with five goals in the second term, but unable to close the gap.

The second half was a defensive affair with both teams managing just one goal after the main break.

For Wallan, it was the usual contributors who stood up with David Cornish booting three goals and Shannon Galea adding two.

Lindon Coleman, Matthew Vidal and captain Matt Gibson were amongst the best for the side.

For Diggers Rest, Jeremy Jose was the only multiple goal scorer with two majors. He was also the best player for his side, along with Shaun Sims and Dylan Hannan.

Blues lost the plot
July 22nd, 2008 by Matt Nicholls
LAST week I said Kilmore’s senior football side was fighting for respect in the closing stages of the season, but what the Blues did last Saturday was appalling.
In the space of five minutes, the Blues had four players sent from the field – three for abusive language towards an umpire, and another for striking.
It was a sad capitulation of a side, which in the previous hour, had done so much to lift its reputation as a football team.
While all four players should be held accountable for their actions, one triggered the collapse, and let a whole side down, as well as their supporters.
Travis Hede, arguably Kilmore’s best player in the first half, got on the rough end of an umpiring decision at about the 10-minute mark of the third quarter.
Rather than cop it on the chin and concentrate on the next piece of play, he decided that abusing the umpire was the better option.
Rightly so, the man in orange decided a 50-metre penalty was the right punishment. Normally in these situations a player will then shake his head, and get on with the game. But not Hede. He continued to give it to the umpire and went on to concede another 50-metre penalty – handing Lancefield a free goal.
Still not satisfied that he had given the referee enough stick, Hede persisted with the abuse.
He was then yellow-carded, giving him a 15-minute rest, but leaving the Blues one short on the field.
From then on, all hell broke lose.
Lancefield’s Paul Cook was yellow-carded for wrestling soon after, and Kilmore’s Andrew Hibbert and Trent Harries were both sent off for umpire abuse.
Teammate Brad Colliver, the Blues’ vice-captain, was also yellow-carded and reported for striking Tiger defender Tim Collins.
So dire was Kilmore’s situation, that if any remaining player was yellow-carded, the Blues would have had to forfeit the match.
The rules state that no side can compete with 13 players on the field. Kilmore had just 14 on the ground after their five-minute frenzy.
Contrary to the report in Tuesday’s North Central Review, in which Kilmore senior football coach Campbell Speers labelled an umpire’s actions “disgraceful”, I think the officials did a pretty good job in tough circumstances.
I’ve been a harsh critic of umpires in the past, and the two umpires on Saturday have been in the spotlight of my denigration in recent years, but what the Kilmore players did was unacceptable.
Although the two umpires are known for “over officiating” in matches, I even gave Speers pre-warning before the game that they wouldn’t tolerate backchat or abuse from players.
And nor should they, or any other umpire.
As a football lover and a former player, I can sympathise with players who might hand out the odd piece of “advice” to umpires, because footy is a sport that invokes passion and split-second decisions.
But I can’t sympathise with what certain Kilmore players did on Saturday. They lost the plot, forgot to think, and let their teammates and club down.
With just four matches to play, the Blues now have to win back the respect they lost last Saturday, as well as what they have lost over the season.
Luckily they have a bye this week to think about it all.

Same bloke that recently umpired the Lancefield v Wallan game by any chance?

An interesting read from Nicholls i thought. 3 kilmore sent for abusing and one for striking. Just one query, a lancefield player was sent off for wrestling, was he wrestling with himself? as i would have thought that it would take 2 to tango, therefore i would have expected a kilmore bloke to also been sent off for wrestling. Does anybody know if the other player in the wrestle was the bloke sent off for striking? if not, poor form by an umpire.

Have no idea why, both about the same this season. Although it must be said that I was very unimpressed with Considine in the All-Star match. All he did was get in the way of other players!! Wouldn't be the first time the Hawks made a forward a scape goat heading into the finals. They dropped Rick Dowling for their premiership campaign last season, despite him leading their goalkicking! According to the RDFL website he has dobbed 45 goals from 12 matches thus far - pretty good going! And where is the bloke they dropped him for to give more room? Overseas and not playing! Lucky they scraped over the line against Romsey and Sunbury Kangaroos in the finals last year and came up against a nervous Riddell side, otherwise people might starting to question how good Mick Giddings actually is :eek:

Both have been very good at times this year. Barker’s form had been better in recent weeks. He had kicked 5 (against Kilmore), 4 (against Macedon) and 1 (against Riddell with large stints in defence when most players were terrible). It looked to me like Considine was the victim of Woodend having quite a few tall forwards. They started on the weekend with Barker, Lacy and Forrest all in the forward half. One more may have been a bit of a stretch on a wet day. From all reports Considine went back and dominated the Reserves.

I don’t believe Considine was a scapegoat and nor was Dowling. Dowling is a very good forward and has proved this over many years. I assume you are referring to Salpietro in your post and I think that Woodend needed a crumbing forward with a bit of pace on the big grounds in the finals last year. Dowling was the extremely unlucky player to miss out. Salpietro was outstanding in the finals.

In relation to the finals series last year, another interpretation could be that Woodend had a gutsy come from behind win against Romsey, accounted for Sunbury comfortably in the end by 5 goals and stood up when it mattered on Grand Final day to beat a powerful Riddell. I believe Giddings has been great at Woodend over the last 3 years, so I suppose your interpretation of the finals series depends upon the argument that you are trying to support.

Both have been very good at times this year. Barker’s form had been better in recent weeks. He had kicked 5 (against Kilmore), 4 (against Macedon) and 1 (against Riddell with large stints in defence when most players were terrible). It looked to me like Considine was the victim of Woodend having quite a few tall forwards. They started on the weekend with Barker, Lacy and Forrest all in the forward half. One more may have been a bit of a stretch on a wet day. From all reports Considine went back and dominated the Reserves.

I don’t believe Considine was a scapegoat and nor was Dowling. Dowling is a very good forward and has proved this over many years. I assume you are referring to Salpietro in your post and I think that Woodend needed a crumbing forward with a bit of pace on the big grounds in the finals last year. Dowling was the extremely unlucky player to miss out. Salpietro was outstanding in the finals.

In relation to the finals series last year, another interpretation could be that Woodend had a gutsy come from behind win against Romsey, accounted for Sunbury comfortably in the end by 5 goals and stood up when it mattered on Grand Final day to beat a powerful Riddell. I believe Giddings has been great at Woodend over the last 3 years, so I suppose your interpretation of the finals series depends upon the argument that you are trying to support.

Good reply. I like your interpretation. It meerly points out the fact that if you reverse a couple of results in close matches, it can change everything. Woodend was a good side last year, but no one feared them. But they won the flag and now people are convinced they are stars. If they had of been knocked out by Romsey, they may be sitting in fourth or fifth position right now. Reputation can do wonders in footy. But hats off to the Hawks, they've seemingly made all the right decisions!

Fair call Earl. I'm just saying if you blokes had of lost against Romsey or the Kangas and Riddell went on to win their third flag in a row, we'd be saying that the Bombers are the best side in modern RDFL footy. But you guys got lucky. Everything went your way in terms of injuries, opposition, selection etc. its the difference between winning a flag and losing a semi-final. The stars were alligned for WH last September :)

Anyone give lancefield a chance of caausing an upset this week?
i think they are playing alright lately and could catch woodsy on an off day. they would just about be certantys of playing finals. my early tips are for this week

lanny by 1 point over woodsy, diggers to beat rockbank by only about 5 goals probably close at half time then diggers will be alright in 2nd half. wallan vs romsey a really hard one but probably 3 goals win to wallan. and also a tight one at centrals with macedon maybe by a goal.

For the record the lancefield player was sent off for lining up a 17yo kid and cleaning him up, not wrestiling. 1 of the 4 Kilmore players was sent off for not handing the ball back to the umpire!! The "Strike" was laughable and was too high and never a reportable offence. They lost control of the match. 2 players should have had there mouths closed but the Kilmore never went the biff. Spears was fair in his assesment.

Good post Earl.

You sound like a guy who knows things, a guy who knows things about Woodend-Hesket. Would you like to enlighten us about the shambles at Riddell a couple of weeks ago and whether it will effect Woodend in any way for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back