RDFL Thread 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanna say congrats to the Rockbank U12's, U14's and U16's on making their respective grand finals this Sunday. Good to see the club having some success and also see the talent coming through. Good Luck!

Surely IMS doesn't get off that easily in regards to Sunbury tanking this week.

They either tank and go down in history as tankers

or

They win and go down in history as the team that didn't do all they can to win a premiership.

Why the **** would the RDFL change to the final 6, final 5 is almost the perfect system, final 6 is acknowledged as being shite and why should more sides make the finals than miss out! Next year they might make it a final 11, just to give everyone a chance.

hope riddell dont rest to many this week else there could be a bit of a scare on the cards. i tip wallan by 4 points.

Yeah i think bar riddell, we are the form side of the comp winning the last 5 on the trot. Greenbac may have been right when he said a different wallan will come out in the 2nd half of the year after sitting 10th after round 11.

R.I.P Kevin Icely
condolences to Addam and families.
A fantastic bloke and a hard worker at all clubs that he was involved with and through out the R.D.F.L . rest in peace old man ice:thumbsu:

Surely IMS doesn't get off that easily in regards to Sunbury tanking this week.

They either tank and go down in history as tankers

or

They win and go down in history as the team that didn't do all they can to win a premiership.

Why the **** would the RDFL change to the final 6, final 5 is almost the perfect system, final 6 is acknowledged as being shite and why should more sides make the finals than miss out! Next year they might make it a final 11, just to give everyone a chance.

TANK? most outrageous call ever.you try 2 be the man 2 tell jarrod dixon,jamie cuffe,or the mcinerneys 2 deliberately lose.not in their vocabulary sorry.sunbury will win and win well and field their full team 4 the first time this season next week.

TANK? most outrageous call ever.you try 2 be the man 2 tell jarrod dixon,jamie cuffe,or the mcinerneys 2 deliberately lose.not in their vocabulary sorry.sunbury will win and win well and field their full team 4 the first time this season next week.

So who is not playing this week? By the way, I wouldn't underestimate Melton Central - the way SK have been playing since they beat Woodend has been pretty average. If SK think they can perform in the finals coming in on 3 losses, they will need to think again. Diggers have had a slow start but moving along very nicely under the radar. Finishing 6th might mean a quicker exist than some think. Finally, no club would tank as they would be ridiculed for years and it would be a personal insult to any real footballer and what they have strived for all their football lives - win at all cost!!

So who is not playing this week? By the way, I wouldn't underestimate Melton Central - the way SK have been playing since they beat Woodend has been pretty average. If SK think they can perform in the finals coming in on 3 losses, they will need to think again. Diggers have had a slow start but moving along very nicely under the radar. Finishing 6th might mean a quicker exist than some think. Finally, no club would tank as they would be ridiculed for years and it would be a personal insult to any real footballer and what they have strived for all their football lives - win at all cost!!

In such an imperfect system, why wouldn't you do it? If it means the difference between winning a grand final or being rolled there should be no question of what should be done. Its still a "win at all costs" mentality, although its not a "win every game at all costs" one. Its a slight difference but an important one.

Who remembers the side who won most of the games all year only to lose the only one that counts? (e.g Riddell v Woodend last years GF)

Omni’s Tips for Round 18.

Macedon to come out firing on all cylinders tomorrow at Rockbank in a last ditch effort to make the finals action. Little do they know it will all be to no avail ! Cats by 32 pts.

Diggers v Woodend, These two sides have had some wonderful clashes of recent times, and although the heat maybe out of this contest with nothing really to play for for both sides, I think Diggers may just be ready to start peaking at the pointy end of the season. Glen Hopkins is a very shrewd operator & has been able at times to get the most out of what he has at his disposal. Burras by 16 pts.

Romsey v Kilmore, Two sides that promised so much this season & have turned out to be very disappointing, sure they both have managed the odd upset win here & there but on the whole have left their supporters with little to cheer about in 2008………………. Maybe Romsey at home can show some pride & get up by 11 pts.

Apparently the word is out Wallan are on the march, they have all their guns playing & playing well, & are ready to give Riddell a real run for their money tomorrow………..
I hope so, its about time some one decided to have a crack & test the Bombers out !
NO team is unbeatable & once you start believing that then you are well on your way to achieving your goal. The undermaned Magpies were humbled by Riddell earlier in the season & now appear to want to get some respect back at home in front of their loyal & parochial supporters….. Good on em……. & good luck to em too, cause I would like to see that as well. (be nice to barrack once again)
Alas the facts indicate a Bomber win by 60 pts.

Tanking……. Tanking, what Tanking ? The plain & simple fact of the matter is George’s Melton boys will just be way to good for Sunbury tomorrow & that’s that !
Melton have proved this season that they are not just making up the numbers, but are argueably the most improved Team this year. They have a quality mid-field, a potent forward set-up & a more than adequate back half .
So when they win, & they will, lets not insult their performance by saying the Kangas postulated & “ Laid Down “ so as they could gain some perceived advantage come Finals time, but that Melton rose to the occasion, withstood the pressure of the situation, played some good hard footy & won by 18 pts.

Good Luck All. :thumbsu:

Get your pens and paper out and write this down (oneeyedblue I know you are not allowed to use sharp objects so a crayon will do).

My going away shindig is on Saturday, September 6 at the Romsey Hotel.

It'll be a great chance to have a few bevvies at the peak of the RDFL finals series and jeer me for the final time in 2008.

If Sam Young wins the Bowen Medal, OMNI said he will shout the bar because he will have stripped me of a cool $500.

I know it's Romsey and its a long way from everywhere, but it'd be great to see the RDFL fraternity one last time before I head to Queensland.

Hope you can all make it. If you want anymore details, just private message me :D

I don't mean to suggest that the 22 players in the team would actually try to lose, that would be ridiculous (although there were rumours about it happening in the netball a couple of years back), but will Sunbury put their best team on the park?

Lets face it, a few of the kangas boys are starting to get on a bit and the bodies may not be what they used to be (as mongrel can probably attest), also a few of the younger boys have had injuries and a week of might be just what they need coming into a finals series. I wouldn't be surprised if Riddell, Woodend and even Wallan rested any players with niggles to get them right for next week.

And to say that it would not have even been considered is bullshite, if people who believe themselves to be deep thinkers about the game have not considered where would be the best place to finish in the current finals system and how to achieve that then they are not what they claim to be.

In the olympics quite often you see athletes deliberately coast in their heats to conserve energy if they know that they will still qualify, is this inconceivable? They are not trying there best to win that particular race yet looking forward to the final, so is this not the same thing?

Sometimes it takes the toughest of calls to produce the greatest of achievements.

By the way, if anybody thinks that this talk is ridiculous and to the detriment of the game then maybe they should think about what causes this.

It is the same as in the AFL, the system defines the actions of the members. Everyone tries to figure out the best way to win a flag within the rules, if that means finishing last to secure a priority pick or finishing 6th to get a better run in the finals, it is the same thing.

Funny how in the final 5 system the better the ladder position at the end of the year the better the run in the finals. Strange concept that!

I don't mean to suggest that the 22 players in the team would actually try to lose, that would be ridiculous (although there were rumours about it happening in the netball a couple of years back), but will Sunbury put their best team on the park?

Lets face it, a few of the kangas boys are starting to get on a bit and the bodies may not be what they used to be (as mongrel can probably attest), also a few of the younger boys have had injuries and a week of might be just what they need coming into a finals series. I wouldn't be surprised if Riddell, Woodend and even Wallan rested any players with niggles to get them right for next week.

And to say that it would not have even been considered is bullshite, if people who believe themselves to be deep thinkers about the game have not considered where would be the best place to finish in the current finals system and how to achieve that then they are not what they claim to be.

In the olympics quite often you see athletes deliberately coast in their heats to conserve energy if they know that they will still qualify, is this inconceivable? They are not trying there best to win that particular race yet looking forward to the final, so is this not the same thing?

Sometimes it takes the toughest of calls to produce the greatest of achievements.

I'm not sure if you can draw a comparison between individuals and team sports. We all know that legitimate matches are the only form of match practice. Training and practice matches cannot replace the real thing. If SK want to go into the finals without having their best team, doing their very best to win, playing their game plan, they are taking a big risk. They have performed poorly in recent weeks and if they do not want to have a serious hit out this weekend, they will go into the finals underdone. And you know what, you don't need a second chance if you just keep on winning!! Regardless of the talk, I don't think SK would do anything other than go flat out with their best team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omni’s Tips for Round 18.

Tanking……. Tanking, what Tanking ? The plain & simple fact of the matter is George’s Melton boys will just be way to good for Sunbury tomorrow & that’s that !
Melton have proved this season that they are not just making up the numbers, but are argueably the most improved Team this year. They have a quality mid-field, a potent forward set-up & a more than adequate back half .
So when they win, & they will, lets not insult their performance by saying the Kangas postulated & “ Laid Down “ so as they could gain some perceived advantage come Finals time, but that Melton rose to the occasion, withstood the pressure of the situation, played some good hard footy & won by 18 pts.

Good Luck All. :thumbsu:

I agree with your comments about MC but if SK do loses to them, the reality is that I doubt if MC will get much credit. For a team that beat Woodend just 3 weeks ago, SK should account for a much improved MC. Won't be easy, but they should. Therefore any loss to MC will have the theorist in full flight, and for a long time!!

Tips for the week

Riddell by 72
Romsey by 22
Woodend by 4
The mighty cats by 67, hoping that some close early losses won't be costly
But to no avail as
Melton by 14 (No judgements will be made on result, I DO respect MC as a good team in their own right)

Bring on the finals

I agree with your comments about MC but if SK do loses to them, the reality is that I doubt if MC will get much credit. For a team that beat Woodend just 3 weeks ago, SK should account for a much improved MC. Won't be easy, but they should. Therefore any loss to MC will have the theorist in full flight, and for a long time!!

if centrals beat us tomorrow they should recive all credit. there is no f###ing chance we will be tanking. win or loose either way we play an elimination final next week, anyone going into finals who do not have a double chance that are thinking about who they will play in round two of finals would be kidding themselves.

if centrals beat us tomorrow they should recive all credit. there is no f###ing chance we will be tanking. win or loose either way we play an elimination final next week, anyone going into finals who do not have a double chance that are thinking about who they will play in round two of finals would be kidding themselves.

Well said - I hope you're right!

Its the RDFL's fault. Sunbury lose tomorrow they play Diggers in an Elimination final - win that they get a 2 shots to go into a granny! One of those chances will be against either Woodend/Wallen or Centrals which the Roos would be a huge chance to win.

If its good enough for the West Coast Eagles!!

Its the RDFL's fault. Sunbury lose tomorrow they play Diggers in an Elimination final - win that they get a 2 shots to go into a granny! One of those chances will be against either Woodend/Wallen or Centrals which the Roos would be a huge chance to win.

If its good enough for the West Coast Eagles!!

Sounds like you reckon they are going to tank. I don't think Grubby see it that way!

Get your pens and paper out and write this down (oneeyedblue I know you are not allowed to use sharp objects so a crayon will do).

It'll be a great chance to have a few bevvies at the peak of the RDFL finals series and jeer me for the final time in 2008.

If Sam Young wins the Bowen Medal, OMNI said he will shout the bar because he will have stripped me of a cool $500.

I know it's Romsey and its a long way from everywhere, but it'd be great to see the RDFL fraternity one last time before I head to Queensland.

Hope you can all make it. If you want anymore details, just private message me :D

And just when was this Assertion put to you pal ? :eek:

If IMS turns up the 5 hungey will last about 30 minutes ! :eek:

Oh...... Congratulations & Good Luck with the new gig too pal, your informative & provocative input around RDFL circles will be sorely missed.

Yeah the last time I used a sharp object it was messy,maybe Davo 33 can come too if he has finished his designer football jumpers, what a night in the swinging arms it would be.You will need alot of money Pickles as I have to drown my sorrows after this season to forget

Drove past the Romsey pub yesterday and couldnt see the phone box, where are you having the shindig Matt? Should be at least 3 people there, you Robbo & Cornish.

Final Scores Riddell 24. 19. 163 Def' Wallan 3. 5. 23

Congrats to Lee James on kicking 100 goals this season, finished the day with 6 for a season total so far of 103 goals. B O G was Sammy Young who had 40 + touches in an absolutely unstoppable display !

Sunbury 12. 11. 83 def' Melton 9. 14. 68

Woodend 91pts def' Diggers 39pts

& Macedon got up over Rockbank pretty comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back