RDFL Thread 2009 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you put down your list of champions?

Think we're getting carried away with using the term 'champion'. A champion can be defined as being "superior to all others".

In my opinion Ian Stewart, Ted Whitten, Norm Smith, Bob Skilton, Dick Reynolds, Bob Pratt, John Nicholls, Leigh Matthews, Jock McHale, Alex Jesaulenko, Jack Dyer, Gordon Coventry, John Coleman and Ron Barassi are all 'champions' of the game. Players in the RDFL or BalFL don't come close to fitting this mold.

Gday Doona, obviously you get your supplies from another sauce?

I probably worded it a bit wrong initially - I meant support in terms of sponsorship we didn't have any joy :( We must be one of the only clubs in the bush (although the RDFL is metro footy) who don't have a fence sign from a local pub at their reserve.

Think we're getting carried away with using the term 'champion'. A champion can be defined as being "superior to all others".

In my opinion Ian Stewart, Ted Whitten, Norm Smith, Bob Skilton, Dick Reynolds, Bob Pratt, John Nicholls, Leigh Matthews, Jock McHale, Alex Jesaulenko, Jack Dyer, Gordon Coventry, John Coleman and Ron Barassi are all 'champions' of the game. Players in the RDFL or BalFL don't come close to fitting this mold.

So you cannot have a champion country footballer? A superior to all in the league they play or in country football.

I sort of agree with your definition of a "champion", but I think it is in relative terms. A player in the RDFL who is superior to others would be a champion of the RDFL. I don't know if you can say "all others", as this would mean that you can only have one champion, so perhaps 'superior to others' is a better phrase (I'm getting technical, I know!!! :D)

I definitely agree with you that words like 'champion' are thrown around these threads with little thought. :thumbsu:

I sort of agree with your definition of a "champion", but I think it is in relative terms. A player in the RDFL who is superior to others would be a champion of the RDFL. I don't know if you can say "all others", as this would mean that you can only have one champion, so perhaps 'superior to others' is a better phrase (I'm getting technical, I know!!! :D)

I definitely agree with you that words like 'champion' are thrown around these threads with little thought. :thumbsu:

And this is why this web site is what it is. People's opinion - right or wrong. For example I disagree with people listing players as champions they never saw play - I can not call Jack Dyer a champion because my great grandfather told me he was. That is somones else's opinion of a player - not mine. But I cannot say he was not a Champion because I never saw him play.

Wayne Carey on the other hand I will label a champion as along side Gary Ablett are the best players I have seen play. Once again people can say country footballers cannot be champion players - but my opinion of that is it is incorrect.

Good post allthemail, we are talking champions within our comp, we have had some great champs over the years, Carey from Melton, Ian Benjiman from Wallan and one who is still playing in Cuffe who made the team of the century @ Keilor and would also make it @ Romsey & Sunbury, i would have no hesitation in calling Cuffe a CHAMPION player as well as a champion bloke!

Good post allthemail, we are talking champions within our comp, we have had some great champs over the years, Carey from Melton, Ian Benjiman from Wallan and one who is still playing in Cuffe who made the team of the century @ Keilor and would also make it @ Romsey & Sunbury, i would have no hesitation in calling Cuffe a CHAMPION player as well as a champion bloke!
I think you could throw Marty Lakey in there as well. Absolute gun in the RDFL

So you cannot have a champion country footballer? A superior to all in the league they play or in country football.

This from a bloke who bagged VCFL team captain and arguably the best country footballer going around Jarrod Edwards after he won his 4th Ballarat FL Henderson medal in a row this year. But Carriss is a champion. Speaks volumes of his mentality and football knowledge.

This from a bloke who bagged VCFL team captain and arguably the best country footballer going around Jarrod Edwards after he won his 4th Ballarat FL Henderson medal in a row this year. But Carriss is a champion. Speaks volumes of his mentality and football knowledge.

I questioned why there was laughter and no one clapping when he won?? Never said he was not a gun country footballer. Would you call JE a champion even though he did not play AFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back