RDFL Thread 2009 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

i think missing a few games early hurt t.mainey was hoping he would win the b&f again the bloke is a star, has been by far the rams best player over last 3yrs

You'll find that he only missed about 2, Walker played with a couple fractured ribs for a few and Krul missed 2 or 3 (came third to Horse by less than 10). Then again, any comparison is hard given Horse played mostly down back, Walker on the ball and Krul in the ruck.

Once everyone down there is fully fit and has a good preseason under their belts the B & F could be just about anyones. Having said that, when is any footballer fully fit :D

i think missing a few games early hurt t.mainey was hoping he would win the b&f again the bloke is a star, has been by far the rams best player over last 3yrs

He has been hence why he was captain this year... but there was another player that missed the first half of the season thru injury and probably would have won the B & F had he played 90% of the games..

horse had a great year... but unlike other years alot more stood up as well....
walks had a very consistent year but had the jibbs in front of goals...haha love ya walks
paul tracey was also consistent but didnt poll votes
i agree with i know a thing or to..... a healthy pre-season and i dont think rockbank will go un-noticed next year....
lancefield for flag!!!

horse had a great year... but unlike other years alot more stood up as well....
walks had a very consistent year but had the jibbs in front of goals...haha love ya walks
paul tracey was also consistent but didnt poll votes
i agree with i know a thing or to..... a healthy pre-season and i dont think rockbank will go un-noticed next year....
lancefield for flag!!!
steady on pal, you guys said that at the start of this yr

Tips for the first week of the finals.

Macedon - 6 points
Romsey - 18 points
Riddell - 12 points

All games should be gems and this is one of those seasons where I wouldn't be surprised if I got all three tips wrong. Good luck to everyone involved.

Melton Toyota Cup - Qualifying Final, Boardman Reserve 2.00PM

The clash of the top two sides promises to be an epic matchup. A battle of the underrated Bomber midfield against the highly lauded Tigers midfield. The league leading goal kicker against the runner up. The last time these sides met a huge 3rd term saw the Tigers blow the Bombers away, will that meeting be a preview to this game.
The Bomber midfield led by Justin Belleville has several hard workers that rotate through the middle and continue to give the Bombers drive. Braeden Whittard is the in and under midfielder and underrated within the league. Belleville and Cam McCabe add the class. Youngsters Ryan Leitch and Rick Elliot also have spent time through the middle. They need this week to match it with arguably the best midfield in the competition. Ben Talbot, Chris Collins, Jay Shewan, Simon Choate all veteran midfielders that mix inside and outside play perfectly along with young Sam Whitteveen who has had an outstanding year on the wing. In my opinion this could be a battle of which backline holds up the best and on the smaller Boardman Reserve oval, this could hold the key. The Bomber forwards are more likely to perform in a contested situation. The Tigers key forwards relish space and may not like the congested area that will evolve in front of them. The Bomber backline in my opinion has been the driving force behind the success of the side over the past few years, but this year have lacked accountability at times. The Tigers need to stop Nick Ash and Jason Allen from having impact on the rebound. While they need to be able to move the ball quickly to give Ruffell space to work in. If his opportunities are contested then he will find the going tough. Meacham on the other hand relishes winning contested ball, one of the best marks inside forward 50 in the competition in a contest, the Tigers will need someone who can read the ball early to take him. Conway has played full back in recent times, but the Tigers will need Erwin to take Meacham early. The other key for the Bombers is Cam McCabe, he at times has dominated the competition with little effort, if he increases his work rate during the finals, the Tigers will have no one capable of matching him. In reverse, Myles Dorman for a youngster just continues to get better, this year he has added consistency to his game and is a dangerous opponent for the Bombers. If Dorman gets his tail up, the Bombers may find themselves in for a long day. Both Dorman and McCabe will need to be put under physical pressure, or we will see some highlight reel action from both.
My tip, the smaller ground will allow the Bombers defence to peel off and help out, creating contests at most inside 50 disposals, the Tigers may find that tougher to deal with than the Bomber forwards and in a low scoring affair, may prove the difference.
Riddell by 14 points.

Melton Toyota Cup - 1st Elimination Final - Riddell, 2PM

The first Elimination Final sees Romsey front up against Woodend/Hesket at Riddell.
As disappointing as it is for me to not see the Kangaroos in the finals in 2009, my opinion still stands. I dont think the Hawks are up to it.
The Redbacks are still the Redbacks though. They are capable of imploding at a minutes notice. Burlak should resume this week and a forward line consisting of Burlak, Dawson, Kearney, Wheatley and the Moorcroft/Green on ball change up will be tough for the young Hawk defenders to shut down. The midfield matchup should be interesting enough. Ryan Connellan is clearly the 2nd best ruckman in the competition behind Cuffe. But Matt Stacey was not far off being the next big thing before injury struck. He is back and playing great football and the ruck contest will be a key to this game. Moorcroft, Green, Dawson, McNaughton, Sullivan - its not a bad onball brigade is it.. The Hawks just lack the class to match this group of players. Cook is a big target up forward, while Matt Knox is a fantastic player to watch, just for his work rate alone. I think this is the one area that the Redbacks might be a little succeptable. In defence, they struggle to match up on the key forwards. Kairns is not having the influence he once was. As we head deeper into the finals, this could be the key to the Redbacks going the whole way, if another sides forward line can expose the back 6. The Hawks apart from Knox just dont have the fire power to be able to do so. Unless, they throw Barker forward, he knows how to kick a score and has done it so many times before. But I think the quality of the Redbacks will see this game through.

Romsey by 46 points.

Melton Toyota Cup - 2nd Elimination Final - MacPherson Park 2PM Saturday

A rematch of last week and last years 2nd Elimination Final, the Burra and the Cats. Only 7 points seperated the sides last week and this week, the smaller ground may come into affect again like it will in the qualifying final.
The Burra are up and about after last week. They know they can beat the Cats and truly believe that they have thier number. They may just be right. On the small Centrals ground the game will become contested and cramped, just the way the Burra like it. With the experienced midfield of Sims, Ruane, Heritage and youngsters Stu Clarke and Tom Gleeson pushing through, the Burra have a good mix, although Gleeson played on Ash Fleming last week. A mistake if they do so again this week. Fleming is the key to the Cats without McCarthur. Another boost for the Cats will be the return of James Wright, Nipper loves collecting the contested football and will fit in perfectly with Darren Goodwin, Aaron Blade and Tim Dettman through the Cats midfield. Goodwin has had an outstanding season and is one the Burra will need to be wary of. He generally steps up in big games. The Cats have been well served by thier back 6 this year but there are signs of weakness and if anyone in the Burra line up can expose this it is Cole Laurie. Cole is one of those special players that you pay the entrance fee to watch, who could forget his performance at Macedon 3 years ago in the final against Woodend? He steps up in finals games and the Cats must quell his influence on the game if they are to stop the Burra. The other is Jeff Heritage. A compulsive accumilator of the ball the Burra look for Heritage through the middle at all times as his use of the ball is exceptional, he gives his forwards the best chance. Leigh Rust is another that is a key to the Burra lineup, whether he plays on the wing or across half forward, the Burra look to use him as much as possible. Both sides have so much to lose as a win here for the Cats gives them a crack at the winner of Riddell/Lancefield for a shot at the big one. While the Burra could end up with a game against the loser of that match, probably at Woodend, and we all know what happens at this time of year at Woodend.. Boggy contested footy, the Burra's favorite.
Diggers Rest by 4 points

I also hope that this week, with the best umpires doing the finals games that in all grades we have a return in protecting the player with his head over the football.. Lets remember that the person initiating the contact has the duty of care.... :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gull's tips for first round of finals..

Lancefield by 11 points
Romsey by 26points
Diggers by 3 points

Goodluck to all playing this weekend.. And go Bombers! (Essendon not Riddell):D

Woodend to be to strong & experienced for Romsey by 15pts.
Macedon to be just to desperate for the win over Diggers by 20pts.
Lancefield to take control at the stoppages & overpower Riddell by 17pts.

Good luck to all.

Woodend to be to strong & experienced for Romsey by 15pts.
Macedon to be just to desperate for the win over Diggers by 20pts.
Lancefield to take control at the stoppages & overpower Riddell by 17pts.

Good luck to all.

agree with macedon should win
good point you make about woodend, experience counts for everything in finals, but i still think if the real romsey turn up they will win very comfortably.
lancefield and riddell toss of the coin, i will stick with riddell only because of their track record over the years in finals

agree with macedon should win
good point you make about woodend, experience counts for everything in finals, but i still think if the real romsey turn up they will win very comfortably.
lancefield and riddell toss of the coin, i will stick with riddell only because of their track record over the years in finals

Mid Fields mate ! Mid Fields. Thats where games are won & lost..... & the Tigers have a pretty good engine room at that !

Bravo today to the Burra, played an inspired 2nd half.. The 2 slick forwards in Laurie and McCabe proved too hard for the Cats to contain. Losing Sims in the first half would have made things tough, but the Burra well and truly stepped up. Steve Ruane was great all day, while Bev Green and John Ryan did the shut down job on Aaron Christianson and Ash Fleming until John came off after a sickening clash. The second half proved that the Burra did have the wood over the Cats, Darren Goodwin and Hancock were the standouts for Macedon.

Votes for the game IMO

3 - Steve Ruane (DR)
2 - Cole Laurie (DR)
1 - Darren Goodwin (Mac)

Get on the Redbacks. GAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY sensational. The big YAK showed Cooky that he should give it away. Ash McNaughten brilliant. Cam D big last qtr. Still not at their best with Sullivan and Baker to come in.

Romsey with a big show at getting straight into the granny next week, looking strong at the right time of the year and got a bit of luck from the other game.

Go redbacks!

Watched the Redbacks against Woodend on Saturday, thought they looked red hot, great running off the lines but not to good up forward.
The ball was pumped up there at every occasion but came out to easy.
Other than that a great display from the Redbacks.

Great to see Diggers Rest 18s play so well on Saturday at Riddell against Riddell. It was a classical finals game where conditions did not favour either end of the ground even though conditions were't that good,both teams showed good skills and sometimes a great willingness to get the hard ball. Fantastic effort by both teams on the day.

With so much talent coming to senior teams in the near future all looks good for the RDFL.:)

Great to see Diggers Rest 18s play so well on Saturday at Riddell against Riddell. It was a classical finals game where conditions did not favour either end of the ground even though conditions were't that good,both teams showed good skills and sometimes a great willingness to get the hard ball. Fantastic effort by both teams on the day.

With so much talent coming to senior teams in the near future all looks good for the RDFL.:)

Completely agree, the same can be said about some of the talent on display this morning.. Both Woodend and Kilmore have some exceptionally talented youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back