RDFL Thread 2010 (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunbury boys back to earth. Wonder if there still thinking about riddell in a months time. This loss is probly just what they need to deflate a few big heads.

Sunbury boys back to earth. Wonder if there still thinking about riddell in a months time. This loss is probly just what they need to deflate a few big heads.

Doubt that would have been the case. Coach hates to lose and certainly wouldn't accept complacency. Maybe people just underrated Lancefield. For as long as I can remember the Tigers have been slow starters. Still boast a very strong spine with Erwin, Waters and Ruffell all in the top five in the comp for the positions they play. Even though I haven't seen a game, you would expect the Roos, largely a new side in 2010, to hit their straps in the last 5-6 rounds of the season.

The riddell games must be exciting to watch at the moment, smashing sides week in week out.
I cant see that being worth paying the gate entry knowing your side will trounce the opposition in just about every match.
Romseys season is all but over you would have to think, the people in charge over at the broadmeadows of the macedon rangers would be very very disapointed given their performance last season.
I doubt the sunbury boys are running around with big heads, as nicholls said they are a completely new side who will take a bit to gel , come finals time they will be cherry ripe

just wondering if the rumours floating around up at romsey yesterday are true that moorcroft is just about to walk out of the club watched him play and he did not look very interested in playing yesterday

just wondering if the rumours floating around up at romsey yesterday are true that moorcroft is just about to walk out of the club watched him play and he did not look very interested in playing yesterday

at this stage they are still just that, rumours. But when you continually hear it from more and more people, not just in the RDFL, but Essendon DFL and Central Murray FL to name a few then I guess it's becoming a "watch this space"

The riddell games must be exciting to watch at the moment, smashing sides week in week out.
I cant see that being worth paying the gate entry knowing your side will trounce the opposition in just about every match.
Romseys season is all but over you would have to think, the people in charge over at the broadmeadows of the macedon rangers would be very very disapointed given their performance last season.
I doubt the sunbury boys are running around with big heads, as nicholls said they are a completely new side who will take a bit to gel , come finals time they will be cherry ripe

Make no mistake, the game yesterday was most definitely a hard fought out contest for almost three quarters. Riddell tinkered with their mid-field set up at the long break and Romsey came out fired up & kicked the first three goals of the third term, closing the margin to two straight kicks. The Redback faithful started getting vocal & it looked as if an upset was going to be a real possibility.
Then coach Power reverted back to his starting mid-field set up & the Bombers went into overdrive, meeting the challenge head on & took back control of the game. They booted the next eight unanswered goals. In a lot of ways it was a very similar contest to that of the Carlton Collingwood match of last week.

The last quarter was a bit of a procession. But by then the game was effectively done & dusted. I know that it’s a bit of a cliché but, Romsey are a very tough side & probably the best side the Bombers have played so far this season & they will almost certainly win their next 7 games straight !
So dont write the Redbacks off just yet.

Oh & a special mention to the two Umpires who did a pretty good job yesterday too, in what was at times a very spirited contest………… & I think one of them went by the name of ……….. semmo’ !!! :eek:

He looked pretty interested early in the third quarter when he was the catalyst for a resurgent Romsey fight back !

He looked pretty interested early in the third quarter when he was the catalyst for a resurgent Romsey fight back !

Must have been a huge come back given the final margin was 80 odd pts !
Stop trying to make a boring game sound good by giving it a big write up and sugar coating the fact that romsey werent anywhere near good enough to get get anywhere near riddell.
The romsey boys couldnt have been to tough if riddell spanked them by so much, so i would say that nearly all the points you have made in vain to try to make a boring pull your pants down good old fashioned hiding, have zero substance to them and the whole write up is basically spam !

Must have been a huge come back given the final margin was 80 odd pts !
Stop trying to make a boring game sound good by giving it a big write up and sugar coating the fact that romsey werent anywhere near good enough to get get anywhere near riddell.
The romsey boys couldnt have been to tough if riddell spanked them by so much, so i would say that nearly all the points you have made in vain to try to make a boring pull your pants down good old fashioned hiding, have zero substance to them and the whole write up is basically spam !

Hey it was anything but boring pal. Plenty of physicality all day including an all in brawl at the end of the game !
Not to condone that sort of behavior of course. :eek: :thumbsu:

Arrived at Lancefield on Saturday to the sun shining and a glorious day for football, just peaking the enthuisiasm to what I hoped would be a fantastic contest ahead...

The Tigers, looking to prove they were once again Premiership contenders and the Roos looking to prove a point in their toughest test so far in 2010.
The game started off at a frenetic pace, the Tigers pressure on the ball carrier was outstanding right from the first bounce, on a ground that has arguably the most space in the competition, the Roos never seemed to have any at any time in the first half. The Tom Waters vs Leigh Fischendon and Jamie Cuffe clash in the middle of the ground was gripping, early on in the game it seemed as though Fischendon dominated the hitouts, while Waters was dominating around the ground, when Cuffe went into the ruck it flipped the other way. Waters getting first hands in the ruck and Cuffe dominating around the ground, it continued that way for most of the day. The first quarter was a fairly level contest, the difference was the Tigers ability to use the ball to space around the ground, giving shots on goal that were not as pressured as what the Kangaroos faced going the other way, it seemed that the most space a Roos player could get was a metre or two at best. The 2nd quarter seemed to head the same way, the Tigers were in control of the game and were finding plenty of space. Caleb Plowman was superb, finding the most space of anyone on the ground, while Travis Smith was providing excellent rebound from the half back line, until he was moved onto Dan Gregory who in the first half looked to be the Roos most dangerous player. A four goal 2nd term from the Tigers saw them in complete control, and they were all over the Roos. The 3rd term started in much the same vein, although the Tigers seemed under more pressure once the ball reached the middle of the ground. The game became more stoppage orientated and the flow that the Tigers were able to generate in the first half came to a halt. At the half way mark of the quarter the Roos seemed to lift a gear and came fighting back into contention, 3 goals to nil for the quarter put the Roos in a position they should never have been in, in the contest. I saw someone post earlier that Leigh Irwin completely outplayed Chris Meacham, I couldn't agree less, Meacham played further up the ground than in recent weeks and in the 6 pure contests between the two, Meacham won 4 comprehensively and his pressure on the ground in the forward 50 would have been a pleasing sight for Helmers. The difference was that the Kangaroos were just not allowed space to run and deliver inside forward 50 through the half back line and the midfield as they have in recent weeks, the slower ball movement allowed the Tigers to get numbers back to help out the defenders and fill the space in front of the Roos forwards.
The start of the last quarter could just have been the difference in the game. The Roos had the first 4 shots on goal including two set shots that certainly should have gone through. The Tigers were able to rebound after the last miss and with a drop off in pressure just for 90 seconds deliver to Ruffell to kick his second and pretty much ice the game, quickly followed by his third. The Roos were able to hit back with 2 of their own but the game was done and dusted, the Roos inaccuracy driven by the fantastic pressure exerted by the Tigers was the difference between the two sides on the day. Both of these sides will go a long way into the finals.

Votes for the game

3 - Caleb Plowman (LF) - Racked up getting the football and delivered exceptionally well.
2 - Travis Smith (LF) - His run off half back broke the game open in the first half, went to a dangerous Dan Gregory in the 2nd half and shut him out of the game.
1 - Adam Walsh (SK) - Was a toss up between him and Clarke (SK) for the one vote, both were the standouts for the Roos, but if it weren't for Walsh in the 1st half the Roos would have been 10 goals down, completely destroyed John Baker.

What I have learned - Round 5
  • Aaron James is now a certainty to take out the goal kicking, unless he gets injured/suspended.
  • Anyone who doesn't think the Bombers are the flag favorites now is kidding themselves.
  • Lancefield is well on track for an opportunity to defend their crown.
  • The Roos still have a way to go, but still putting themselves in the game after being comprehensively outplayed by the reigning premier shows they will be right there.
  • The Calder Cup this week will be a ripper!!
Performance ladder - Round 5

Riddell
Kilmore
Lancefield
Diggers Rest
Macedon
Sunbury Kangaroos

Woodend/Hesket
Rockbank
Melton Centrals
Wallan
Romsey
Broadford

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno who or what started it, it was up the other end of the ground in front of the vocally enthusiastic local contingent positioned in the Redback social enclosure.

I think you would have known that the coach was not playing to answer have ago's question. Your wrap up of the game was fairly accurate except for your comments about the umpires. The umpiring didn't change the outcome of the game, Riddell are a very good and well drilled side, but 1 particular umpire needs to give it away,his pathetic display on Saturday was the catalyst for the brawl you speak of after the game and also players throwing themselves to the ground like they have been hit by a truck only to jump up as soon as they hear the whistle blow for a free kick. Really is a blight on the game

I think you would have known that the coach was not playing to answer have ago's question. Your wrap up of the game was fairly accurate except for your comments about the umpires. The umpiring didn't change the outcome of the game, Riddell are a very good and well drilled side, but 1 particular umpire needs to give it away,his pathetic display on Saturday was the catalyst for the brawl you speak of after the game and also players throwing themselves to the ground like they have been hit by a truck only to jump up as soon as they hear the whistle blow for a free kick. Really is a blight on the game

Agree. Moorcrofts dive early in the 3rd quarter when he was hardly touched was disgraceful. Ended up resulting in a 50mt and a certain goal.

So players throwing themselves to the ground to milk a free kick is the umpires fault is it?? I notice this happen a bit too, it usually happens when the opposition side has started giving out cheap shots and arguing everything... It's not the umpires that need to be held accountable for these actions, if a side is playing undisciplined football and have created that mindset, then of course the game will flow that way.. Once again, it is the undisciplined actions of the playing group rather than that of the umpires that cause this to happen...

Blaming the umpires is a crock!!!

So players throwing themselves to the ground to milk a free kick is the umpires fault is it?? I notice this happen a bit too, it usually happens when the opposition side has started giving out cheap shots and arguing everything... It's not the umpires that need to be held accountable for these actions, if a side is playing undisciplined football and have created that mindset, then of course the game will flow that way.. Once again, it is the undisciplined actions of the playing group rather than that of the umpires that cause this to happen...

Blaming the umpires is a crock!!!

Poor umpiring leads to frustration, frustration leads to players loosing there cool IMO. I have not blamed the umpires for players throwing themselves to the ground. Not pretty to watch when a player just got ko'd by Mike Tyson only to jump up as soon as the whistle is blown.I would hope that a long serving umpire would know the difference. The AFL are trying to stamp it out.

I can't think of a better way to use my money..... Beating Romsey at Romsey is always worth paying for......even if my money goes to the redbacks.

What I speak of is players who pretend to of been hit,not players who throw themselves forward to try get a free.

Exactly what Moorcroft did to create the free kick. He ended up on his back, as if a ton of bricks hit him, he didnt throw himself forward. (Thats how it looked from the Romsey rooms end where i was watching, it was only 20mt away!!). Maybe a little bit of bias is clouding your judgement on this one!!

Exactly what Moorcroft did to create the free kick. He ended up on his back, as if a ton of bricks hit him, he didnt throw himself forward. (Thats how it looked from the Romsey rooms end where i was watching, it was only 20mt away!!). Maybe a little bit of bias is clouding your judgement on this one!!

If as you say you were watching from the Romsey rooms end you would have seen the incidents I am speaking about which has nothing to do with Moorcroft.
My point is, If players see a team mate laying on the ground like his been belted they normally run in and remonstrate as was the case on Saturday,which could have become ugly for no reason.

If the players in the RDFL were flawless, they would play in the AFL. Same goes for the umpires. The last thing Romsey need to be worrying about is the umpires. Prior to the season it was 'flag in the bag', now at 0-5 and the ever increasing rumblings of unrest within the playing group the Redbacks need to concentrate on steadying their own ship.

If the players in the RDFL were flawless, they would play in the AFL. Same goes for the umpires. The last thing Romsey need to be worrying about is the umpires. Prior to the season it was 'flag in the bag', now at 0-5 and the ever increasing rumblings of unrest within the playing group the Redbacks need to concentrate on steadying their own ship.
The rumblings that you refer to may be strong on big footy but that is it .The facts are the players are working hard to turn their season around. I haven't heard any talk from people involved at the club about the heat being put on the coach .Gary isn't going to Marby Park , or any other club for that matter Romsey have made it very hard for themselves ,no doubt, but you would be brave to write them off just yet.Should this umpire get in a players face like this ? Why don't we like him?
625.jpg

The rumblings that you refer to may be strong on big footy but that is it .The facts are the players are working hard to turn their season around. I haven't heard any talk from people involved at the club about the heat being put on the coach .Gary isn't going to Marby Park , or any other club for that matter Romsey have made it very hard for themselves ,no doubt, but you would be brave to write them off just yet.Should this umpire get in a players face like this ? Why don't we like him?
625.jpg

I don’t have a problem with an umpire…. Any umpire for that matter making a point to a player. As long as its done in an appropriate manner. In this circumstance- In his face ??? Well maybe. But who knows how much in Shannons face Semmo’ was. Things can look a lot further or closer than they actually are depending on the camera angle.
But where I think we may be getting on shaky ground here with this sort of behavior is – If you reverse the roles here and it is a player in the umpires face, strongly putting his point across (similar to what appears to be happening in this photo) gesticulating forcefully to an umpire. The umpire could be quite within his rights to feel threatened & report that player. I think from memory there have been cases such as this already bought before the RDFL tribunal. And rightly so ! Threatening behaviour is exactly that, threatening behaviour
Although feeling threatened is a very subjective sensibility & impossible to disprove.

My question is this - Why is it ok for an umpire to treat a player in this manner when it is totally unacceptable (as it should be) the other way around ???

Thoughts ?

P.S. I still think BOTH umpires did a pretty good job on Saturday ! & I did not notice that incident (pictured) either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back