RDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard that Wallan lost today but were pretty good against Sunbury. Does that mean if Wallan wins next week and Macedon defeats Melton then Wallan will finish 6th?

Wallan played well in the second half today, particularly in the third quarter.

However next week against Lancefield will be their last game for 2012, final six now decided.

Kane Murphy (Sunbury) standout best on ground for mine today.

Just heard that Wallan lost today but were pretty good against Sunbury. Does that mean if Wallan wins next week and Macedon defeats Melton then Wallan will finish 6th?

Good win by Centrals over Romsey today in tough conditions. Looks like Centrals will have to meet the Redbacks in 2 weeks at Romsey. On a sour note the you know who show put on a display today that had to be seen to be believed. I wont mention his name, Lets just call him ( WHAT A JOKE ) I believed this clown was not suppose to umpire senior games involving Romsey anymore. He not only insights the players but also the crowd. The RDFL has improved so much over the last 4-5 years, its a shame that this clown keeps dragging the umpiring standard down to a laughable level

A big congrats to Wheels, Liam and all the boys down at Centrals on the win yesterday and a place in the finals for 2012.. A lot of hard work has gone on down there to get this club back into the finals mix and it is well deserved.. Their form over the past 6 weeks has been exceptional, so look out to Macedon next week and whoever has to front up against them in two weeks time.

Here here IMS, big congrats to Centrals and to Wheels for the job so far :thumbsu:. What's happened at Wallan Cal? Musta been that match in the mud against us 5-6 weeks that took the wind out of the sails, they haven't won since. Gilly was pretty strong when we spoke early in the year about his intentions and want to win the club a final, no doubt he will cast an eye towards next year and getting things going again.

Macedon will be tough for Centrals, thought they were a lot stronger over the ball yesty than our previous meeting. The mudpit ensured it was a day for contested pill every 15-20m and unfortuntaley the Cats bigger bodies were just too strong for us and the finishing in front of goals by Wright a couple of times was classy in the conditions.

Always good to catch up with Alistair, he's one of the good guys I've met thru footy ...... although he seems to be taking longer than ever to get out of the showers !!!

The aftermatch speaches threatened to turn a bit Blue with both the 2's and 3's coaches bascially putting it on their Mrs in front of everyone haha which I though quite humourous!!! Wasnt sold on the comment about our 2's being outcoached though :( Four kids doubling up, 4 answering an S.O.S to fill in and play their first game for 2012 - we shoulda just forfeit. A cheap shot from behind in the dying minutes by one of them when 11 goals up wasn't great either .....

I'm guessing by your post you're talking about kill mores ground and I gotta say that was the worst ground I think I've played on not just for the year but forever there was just mud pit after mud pit.

Welcome to bigfooty Mitch, yeh coming from the manicured grounds of the AFL/VFL bush footy grounds are pretty bad :)

Also, if somebody from Rockbank can make contact with me I found a bag of gear yesty morning in the away rooms. Long sleeve #23, shorts, socks, boots etc.

Welcome to bigfooty Mitch, yeh coming from the manicured grounds of the AFL/VFL bush footy grounds are pretty bad :)

Also, if somebody from Rockbank can make contact with me I found a bag of gear yesty morning in the away rooms. Long sleeve #23, shorts, socks, boots etc.

Not Mitch mate I take that back anyway Riddels was alot worse although I must say the mud does keep you warm

So it looks as though the finals are set in stone heading into the final round. The Top 6 can't change when it comes to teams, a few big wins/losses could change the order, but with the percentages the way they are, it is probably unlikely... So it sets up the first week of finals like this

Saturday - Diggers Rest Vs Sunbury Kangaroos
Sunday - Romsey Vs Melton Centrals
Sunday - Riddell Vs Macedon

So Diggers and Sunbury will face each other two weeks in a row. Will either side attempt some mind games and underselling heading into this weeks game to keep something up their sleeve for the following week?

I just read that the umpires will be announcing the senior umpires for the grand final this wednesday night.
Surely with 5 weeks to go untill the big one, it is way to early to be announcing grand final umpires. I would have thought that all umpires would be given the opportunity to perform in the finals series in the hope of landing an umpires role for the grannie.

I'm sure none of the teams competing in the finals would be selecting there grand final team this Thursday night.

I just read that the umpires will be announcing the senior umpires for the grand final this wednesday night.
Surely with 5 weeks to go untill the big one, it is way to early to be announcing grand final umpires. I would have thought that all umpires would be given the opportunity to perform in the finals series in the hope of landing an umpires role for the grannie.

I'm sure none of the teams competing in the finals would be selecting there grand final team this Thursday night.

Bit of a misunderstanding here,

Umpires for the junior Grand Finals will be announced this week.

The panel of 24 Umpires who will officiate the senior finals series will also be announced this week.

With this being the last week of football for half the clubs how many of them are retaining coaches or on the lookout already for coaches for 2013? Im glad reading Doonas bit up top that Scott Gilchrist that it sounds like he is going around again at Wallan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive round of football this weekend.. will we see any upsets in the final round?

Nope, it really isn't :D

Finals are set prior to the final round for the first time in a long time.. The top 6 sides will look to rest blokes that need it ahead of a big finals campaign I would have thought. Only a big week for Kilmore, Rockbank and Lancefield who will all be looking to avoid the "Spoon".

Would be a disappointing end for the Tigers if they were to end up winning the spoon after the improvement they have shown.. In all honesty, Rockbank probably deserve to win it.

Nope, it really isn't :D

Finals are set prior to the final round for the first time in a long time.. The top 6 sides will look to rest blokes that need it ahead of a big finals campaign I would have thought. Only a big week for Kilmore, Rockbank and Lancefield who will all be looking to avoid the "Spoon".

Would be a disappointing end for the Tigers if they were to end up winning the spoon after the improvement they have shown.. In all honesty, Rockbank probably deserve to win it.
Ahhh.. well, it would be great to see these teams put in a last ditch effort.. winning form is good form heading into the finals if you can get the four points.. it just gives you that little bit of confidence and a bit more to work with.. you're right through.. players will be rested but I'd like to think that team's will get some good sides on the paddock and keep them hungry for the next week.. it would be sad for any team to finish on the bottom.. we've seen the Blues and the Tigers in the last few weeks and they showed some great spirit.. you're probably right about the Rams though.. its a shame given that they've come a long way and had so much presence..

It might not be too bad at Kyneton. The surface is usually top notch. The sun is shining brightly at Bendigo, but I heard it absolutely belted down in Romsey last night.

Thats great Matt. :thumbsu:
It may also give the locals a chance to come along & watch a better, tougher & more accountable style of Footy than what they have had to suffer through up there all these past years.

Just glancing back to a post in May .....
"Should the RDFL be receiving a coaching resignation letter shortly? seeing Kilmore FC (pre-season premiership favourites) are 0-4 it would appear that the going seems to be a little tough at the mighty Blues for the senior coach. if im not mistaken he threw the towel in mid season a few years back at Broadford when it seemed to be a bit hard for him.
will we be seeing a resignation from the Blues coach after losing the next 6 games and being 0-10? "

Seems the brave 150 clicks still hasn't repsonded to a private message requesting a meeting. Guess what pal, I'm still here and whilst we have certainly battled thru the 2nd half of the year, we got there and my hand will be up to do it all again if they (1.) want me and (2.) put measures in place after this years mid-year review.
Kinda takes me back to a few years prior when a similar group of young blokes were learning their craft at home as you very well know. I just hope whenever I leave this position it is with the respect of the young blokes - as it seems after events and comments this year, I didn't leave with any respect at my previous post :(

Not to late for that chinwag and explanation to the basis on that rant ......

"Should the RDFL be receiving a coaching resignation letter shortly? seeing Kilmore FC (pre-season premiership favourites) are 0-4 it would appear that the going seems to be a little tough at the mighty Blues for the senior coach. if im not mistaken he threw the towel in mid season a few years back at Broadford when it seemed to be a bit hard for him.
will we be seeing a resignation from the Blues coach after losing the next 6 games and being 0-10? "

Seems the brave 150 clicks still hasn't repsonded to a private message requesting a meeting. Guess what pal, I'm still here and whilst we have certainly battled thru the 2nd half of the year, we got there and my hand will be up to do it all again if they (1.) want me and (2.) put measures in place after this years mid-year review.
Kinda takes me back to a few years prior when a similar group of young blokes were learning their craft at home as you very well know. I just hope whenever I leave this position it is with the respect of the young blokes - as it seems after events and comments this year, I didn't le
Mate you have put in 12 months & know what you need, the club now needs stability, I think it would be in the clubs best interest to be patient with the kids you haveand pick up some recruits & the team will improve rapidly, get a couple of good blokes to assist with training & match days and you will be on your way to what you want to accomplish.

Kinda takes me back to a few years prior when a similar group of young blokes were learning their craft at home as you very well know. I just hope whenever I leave this position it is with the respect of the young blokes - as it seems after events and comments this year, I didn't leave with any respect at my previous post :(

So it looks as though the finals are set in stone heading into the final round. The Top 6 can't change when it comes to teams, a few big wins/losses could change the order, but with the percentages the way they are, it is probably unlikely... So it sets up the first week of finals like this

Saturday - Diggers Rest Vs Sunbury Kangaroos
Sunday - Romsey Vs Melton Centrals
Sunday - Riddell Vs Macedon

So Diggers and Sunbury will face each other two weeks in a row. Will either side attempt some mind games and underselling heading into this weeks game to keep something up their sleeve for the following week?

Fair contest today at Diggers between the two top sides in the competition. Both sides close to full strength, Sunbury getting up 76 to 73, sets it up for a big qualifying final next week.

My best on ground Jake Powell Sunbury.

Fair contest today at Diggers between the two top sides in the competition. Both sides close to full strength, Sunbury getting up 76 to 73, sets it up for a big qualifying final next week.

My best on ground Jake Powell Sunbury.

AGREE that powell was up there for the 3 voter,in fact i thought sunbury won the centre clearances ... i thought Thompson from Diggers as well as Sims did very well . Not sure about sunbury in and outs but 3 handy inclusions to come back for Diggers in halloway , woods and piccolo.. Sets up a very good game next week .

AGREE that powell was up there for the 3 voter,in fact i thought sunbury won the centre clearances ... i thought Thompson from Diggers as well as Sims did very well . Not sure about sunbury in and outs but 3 handy inclusions to come back for Diggers in halloway , woods and piccolo.. Sets up a very good game next week .

Thought Sims played really well, always seems to have a lot on time when in possession, and rarely wastes a possession. Thought Thompson did well around the ground a kick behind the play, but lowered his colours a bit in the ruck contests. Agree that Sunbury got the better of the centre clearances. Tuckey always looked dangerous, however not sure if he's 100% fit, couple of his goals were monster bombs. Inclusions for Diggers look good, whoever misses out for them will be stiff, as I don't think there was a bad player on the ground on Saturday in either side. Don't think Sunbury were quite at full strength either, on Saturday. Must say the ground condition at Diggers on Saturday was first rate, Diggers need to be congratulated on that, hope the playing surface is somewhere near that for Qualifying Final. Good luck to both teams. Should be a ripper.

Mate you have put in 12 months & know what you need, the club now needs stability, I think it would be in the clubs best interest to be patient with the kids you haveand pick up some recruits & the team will improve rapidly, get a couple of good blokes to assist with training & match days and you will be on your way to what you want to accomplish.

Cheers mate, appreciate your constant support.

Club is hoping Pecks will stick on, but the old boy deserves some time out and a good "freshen up." Rysa more than likely wont have the time to be as hands on so if there's any disenchantered lads out there, 10-15 minutes north or south (or further) looking to dabble in some coaching or a new challenege, give us a Hoi ......

Also all the best to all competing teams for their respective finals campigns (except in the 3rds ;) ) it's good to have all 3 football competitions not exactly a race in 1 or 2

1st Elimination Final - Sunday 2nd September @ Sunbury.

2016087_1_M.jpg
Vs
main-logo.gif

Riddell - 4th Position, 14 wins - 4 losses.
Macedon - 5th Position, 11 wins - 6 losses - 1 Draw.

Last Time: Macedon 11.13.79 def Riddell 12.5.77

On Sunday we get to see two sides that have had some classic arm wrestles in the past couple of seasons. Earlier in the year, we saw two young guns go head to head, Kris Preston at one end of the ground and Matt Darby at the other, unfortunately for the Cats, Preston has been unavailable for much of the 2nd half of the season, leaving them short of one of their best forward targets in the early part of the year.

Macedon - The Cats have had an inconsistent season to date, but have saved some of their best football for the other top sides. Jason Davies has been outstanding through the midfield along with James Wright who is finding his best form at the right end of the season. In direct contrast to previous seasons, the Cats have had to deal with a lack of height across the ground, injuries haven't helped with Ash Fleming missing most of the season, it has left Coach Al Meldrum to pretty much go it alone in the ruck and with Preston no longer in the line up, much of the goal scoring is left to resting midfielders. Mark Strickland has been able to give a big target in recent weeks but is going to need a big game if the Cats are to be a chance here.
Postive: The Cats record against the Bombers in recent times is excellent, but the wins have come in close tough games of football. But that will no doubt give the Cats players confidence going into this weeks game.
Negative: Inconsistent performances have dogged the Cats all season, they will need to be right on their game coming into this weeks contest, the beauty of finals football is that nothing else prior to this game matters, only what you produce on the day of the game.
Key: The midfield of the Cats will control their destiny, they face a big ask as they are not only required to win the ball around the ground and at stoppages, but push forward and score. Meldrum is one of the best at ground positioning as a ruckman, putting himself in dangerous positions behind the ball and being able to push forward as a target, he is also able to use his body position well to give his midfield first use of the ball, but the Cats need a back up plan. Much will depend on Davies and Wright and the half back line being able to free themselves up and use the ball well, when the Cats are building from the half back line with run and carry, it is when they are playing their best football.
Wildcard: Shaun Neeson - The talented midfielder can also kick a bag of goals and is a dangerous wildcard up the sleeve of the Cats, if he can get off the leash, the Bombers will have their work cut out shutting him down.

Riddell - The Bombers have slowly built over the course of the season, they were able to pick up an early win over the Redbacks, but after that they built slowly over the first half of the season. Despite the slowish start, the Bombers were always in the hunt for a top 3 spot, those hopes picked up with big wins against Romsey and Sunbury, but after a narrow loss to Diggers Rest the 2nd time around, the Bombers were destined to finish 4th. The form of midfielder Matt Sammut returning after a broken leg has been sensational, while gun recruit Jarrod Sylvester is getting better with each game. In recent weeks, the Bombers have missed star utility Ben Sonogan though and if he doesn't come up for finals will leave a gaping hole in the line up.
Postive: The form of the Bombers has just kept improving over the course of the season and it looks as though they are finding peak form at the right time of the year. Finishing 4th isn't the best place to be and makes the finals a tougher proposition unless 3rd loses in the first week, but the Bombers are a finals wildcard that not many sides will want to face.
Negative: Tough finals draw, as mentioned, the Cats match up really well with the Bombers and make this first week a real danger game. The Bombers will need to get on top early and keep the Cats out of the game, ensuring that they can get plus one behind the ball.
Key: Shutting down the Cats run with a plus one, the Bombers play the best "one on one" football when they are attacking, if the Cats allow that to take place, the Bombers will be hard to shut down, the Bombers also have the uncanny ability to get numbers to the contest when defending, shutting down and making an opposition attack stagnant, against the Cats, this is a real key, if the game breaks open, the Cats spread will be tough to shut down.
Wildcard: Rob Henry - Talented tall that had a late start to the year and has had to deal with injury, but if he is right to go, he could become a real wildcard forward for the Bombers, taking pressure off Sylvester, Allen and Ruffell.

Prediction: This will just about be the pick of the finals in week one, the 1 vs 2 battle will no doubt be a ripper, but this game will make the loser of the Qualifying Final very nervous. The Cats will need to look to open the game up with spread from the contest, they have some fantastic runners in Wright, Davies and Clough, so will need to spread those guys into space. If they are able to link up and run, they will be tough to shut down. The Bombers have the better contested style players, Sammut, Climas and Casson lead the way here, and then they have the jet from the contest in Robertson, who since returning to the league has always looked dangerous. Haydn Ross will find plenty of space if these midfielders get on top and is dangerous with the ball in space, while Daniel Sahlberg has been playing some great football across the half back line. With conditions likely to be pretty good, this contest on Boardman Reserve will be a ripper.
Riddell by 14 points.

1863871_1_O.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back