RDFL Thread - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Round 6 Review

How did Kilmore beat Macedon? What a great result for the blues and the new coach.

After watching them yesty it's got me buggered :mad: Maybe what Finchy said to me was spot on - that they (B'ford) had softened up Macedon for us.

Broadford were far more committed and harder at the contest than Kilmore yesty. Who know's perhaps the Roos are the genuine top 6 side they've been suggesting, once they get to full strength.

Clearly ! What the game also showed was once Meacham is matched with a good backman he chokes. Against the better backmen in the comp'.... Erwin, Ash, & Caton ect' ect' he goes missing when Sunbury need him the most.
Very harsh I reckon. Had a look yesterday and it was not the type of game that was suited to a Meacham type. He also had a couple of other defenders chopping things off in front of him. One of the best players in the comp in my opinion.

Clearly ! What the game also showed was once Meacham is matched with a good backman he chokes. Against the better backmen in the comp'.... Erwin, Ash, & Caton ect' ect' he goes missing when Sunbury need him the most.
i think you miss spelt backman, as it should have been backmen etc etc. multiple backmen on meach shows the respect of what a threat he is.

diggers in a good contest, tuckey was the difference and they had bigger bodies around the ground but that didn't stop the roos attack on the footy.

Great contest yesterday, between Sunbury and Diggers. It was an arm wrestle for the first three quarters, with plenty of stoppages and neither team able to get a break on the other. Sunbury goaled on the three quarter time siren to go ahead for the first time in the match by four points, and looked like they had the momentum. Last quarter was all Diggers, Tuckey really stood up, and during the quarter had Sutherland, Cuffe and Fish all taking turns in trying to nullify his influence.

Tuckey is a class act, and good for the competition.

On Meach, yesterday the delivery into him was average most of the time, along with Diggers having a lose man in defense most of the time, making it difficult to lead into space.

Have seen all four top four clubs now, I think Diggers have just got their noses in front, with not much separating Romsey, Sunbury and Riddell.

Should be a great finals series this year !

Diggers and Kangas was a very hard fought game Good away win by the Burra , best for Diggers in Order was Tuckey (Clearly BOG) , Marsh and Woods while for Kangas Young Cuffe, Bishop and Powell .. Apologies to Welsh (no 5??) Who started off on fire but faded after Half Time....

Bit of a shame their is no interleague this year (at least I dont think their is), with recruits coming into the league this year like Tuckey, Woods, Farmer, Silvester and I'm sure their are a few others I have missed, I would suggest that since the breakaway to the BFL by some clubs that this would be the strongest team the RDFL could put together...

I was at Diggers/Roos game on Saturday and I think the call about Meacham is harsh, the delivery into the forward line wasn't great, just the fact that good teams put their best backman on him, tells you he is still highly rated...Diggers are the early yardstick, with some quality wins away from home. But, they have had a great run with injuries and I think Romsey and riddell will really hit their straps in the second half of the year, to set up another great finals series....

We had the great pleasure of calling the game between Macedon and Melton at the Tony Clarke Reserve on Saturday and while its our only look at the mighty Centrals during the home and away season this year, they looked mighty impressive. There were many great games happening at the same time but I think we had just about pick of the bunch.. as a footy fan, it had everything. Melton really came to play and the Cats rode every bump.. they were evenly matched and I think a draw was fitting of the result .. both teams still have a long way to go in terms of getting their best teams on the park but I have to say out of all the games I've been involved with behind the mic, this was one of those that I enjoyed a great deal out of the others.. we have the Cats and the Bombers this weekend and I can sense another good close one on the cards here.. :)

We had the great pleasure of calling the game between Macedon and Melton at the Tony Clarke Reserve on Saturday and while its our only look at the mighty Centrals during the home and away season this year, they looked mighty impressive. There were many great games happening at the same time but I think we had just about pick of the bunch.. as a footy fan, it had everything. Melton really came to play and the Cats rode every bump.. they were evenly matched and I think a draw was fitting of the result .. both teams still have a long way to go in terms of getting their best teams on the park but I have to say out of all the games I've been involved with behind the mic, this was one of those that I enjoyed a great deal out of the others.. we have the Cats and the Bombers this weekend and I can sense another good close one on the cards here.. :)
Have to agree Chris, Melton Centrals were very good last week, they were very disciplined in their structure & you can see they are listening to Wheels instructions.
Carn't believe you have it up there with those close finishes last year! would have thought you would have covered the match of the round but in your eyes you did!

Have to agree Chris, Melton Centrals were very good last week, they were very disciplined in their structure & you can see they are listening to Wheels instructions.
Carn't believe you have it up there with those close finishes last year! would have thought you would have covered the match of the round but in your eyes you did!

You're not wrong there young mate.. you had a good look at them the other week and they looked to have pushed you for the first half.. I sat in on Wheel's 3 quarter time rev up and I got goose bumps listening to him.. the players were very receptive and took every word on board in the final term.. it was spell binding stuff :)
Haha.. we saw some big ones last year.. good close finishes between two great teams from time to time.. we would've gone over to Sunbury but I've set the fixture up so we cover each team at least once and it worked out that we covered the great Melton club on the weekend.. lost many hours sleep nutting it out before the year started but at the end of the day, we got it right on the weekend.. both sides were evenly matched and to get a draw, you can't ask for much more than that.. I think the quality of competition through every team has lifted.. with Lancefield and Kilmore getting the monkey off the back the other week, there has been a sudden change in momentum of all teams.. your lads were mesmorising on the weekend.. Davo back to his brilliant best on the score sheet..

What a weekend of footy in the RDFL :thumbsu:

Was lucky enough to witness two sides that have themselves deep in the hunt for this years Premiership at Boardman Reserve on the weekend amidst a big crowd and the past players of the Sunbury Kangaroos/Rovers football club.

The first quarter kicked off exactly how most would have thought, a real arm wrestle between the two sides, but in the early going it was the Kangaroos who looked the most dangerous. Matt Welsh in particular on the social club rooms side of the ground was finding plenty of the ball in plenty of space, while Tie Cuffe, Kayne Murphy and in particular Shane Bishop were finding plenty of the ball. For the Burra it was Cameron Woods and Nathan Holloway who were finding plenty of the ball, while Shane Marchewka was doing some great work in the ruck, capped off by a goal.
Qtr Time: Diggers Rest 2.2.14 led Sunbury Kangaroos 1.2.8

The 2nd quarter saw Diggers get control of the game, but they were finding it tough to find an avenue to goal, the Kangaroos were able to cover and put pressure on the Diggers Rest spread better than any opponent to this stage of the season. But the danger signs were there, if it wasn't for ball use going forward, the Burra looked as though they could burst the game open. The Roos were able to get a late goal though and keep themselves in the contest.
Half Time: Diggers Rest 4.6.30 led Sunbury Kangaroos 3.2.20

The first 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter continued in much the same fashion. The Burra were able to keep the Roos at arms length and forced them into chipping the ball around to find a way forward. At the 10 minute mark something clicked for the Kangaroos though, they started to play on and push the ball into far more dangerous areas moving inside forward 50, despite falling behind by more than 20 points, the Roos came storming back into the contest, booting the last 4 goals of the quarter to hit the front at the 3 qtr time break.
3 Qtr Time: Sunbury Kangaroos 7.5.47 led Diggers Rest 6.7.43

The last quarter was where the class of the Burra came to the fore, in particular Brent Tuckey, who was clearly the difference between the two sides, but had been reasonably held by Brenton Sutherland for 3 quarters.
Tuckey was in everything in the last quarter, as was Woods and the Burras "old hands" in Sims and Heritage as the Burras blew the contest open in the opening minutes of the last quarter and went on with it to run out reasonably comfortable winners.
Final Score: Diggers Rest 10.9.69 def Sunbury Kangaroos 7.7.49

A few observations out of the contest, once again, the Kangaroos just didn't use the ball into dangerous positions, kicking the ball wide to the half forward line then holding onto it for 20-30 seconds isn't going to do your forwards any favors. I know a few have suggested that the delivery inside 50 to Meacham wasn't good, but Meach also didn't play to his strengths, he is at his best on the lead with arms in front, on the weekend, Meach remained in the goal square calling for the long ball far too often.
The Burra and Brent Tuckey in particular are a very classy and talented side, but the Kangaroos didn't work hard enough to get a plus one in the defensive half to support Sutherland in his contests with Tuckey, especially in the last quarter. The Burra were able to do that with Kris Marsh, which made the Burra look far more dangerous going forward than the Roos.
Jared Pretty is still finding his feet in this Roos side and is going to be a very very good contributor come the end of the year.

My Votes:
3 - Cameron Woods (DR)
2 - Brent Tuckey (DR)
1 - Kris Marsh (DR)

What I learned in Round 7

• The gap between the bottom sides and top sides is closing. But the gap between the top 3 sides and the rest might just be opening.
  • Riddell are getting the job done, but are they the side they have been in the past.
  • Macedon cannot compete with the top 3 or 4 with the injuries they have.
  • Might be time for Doona to drop a couple of names back to the twos and make a statement, this group is a finals list and if they can't play to instruction, maybe time to bring in some that can.
  • Massive week of games leading into the week off.

Performance Ladder - Round 7

Romsey
Diggers Rest
Broadford
Wallan
Riddell
Melton Centrals
---------------------
Macedon
Sunbury Kangaroos
Woodend/Hesket
Lancefield
Kilmore
Rockbank

At the 10 minute mark something clicked for the Kangaroos though lol. Love the reading big fella. Both games Kangas have lost we have had our chances, aslong as we learn from it we should continue our charge. Defiantly not at our best, but a long way to go ill back meach and da boyz in anytime

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the 10 minute mark something clicked for the Kangaroos though lol. Love the reading big fella. Both games Kangas have lost we have had our chances, aslong as we learn from it we should continue our charge. Defiantly not at our best, but a long way to go ill back meach and da boyz in anytime

A four quater mauling from the mighty redbacks saturday had all us loyal folk enjoying the many cold ales that ensued. The boys were dominant all over the field. led admirably by the best ruck/rover getting around Blake Henderson and followed by the new additions and the regular players the fellas were rampant in their approach to every contest. After a slow start to the year it was great to see it all starting to come together. :thumbsu:

Fixed.. Under the "Football" heading.
I hope all you big footy folk enjoy the work brother Sporle does. Word on the street is that if he doesn't get off the computer and mow his lawns soon his misses is going to make him move out the back shed.

I hope all you big footy folk enjoy the work brother Sporle does. Word on the street is that if he doesn't get off the computer and mow his lawns soon his misses is going to make him move out the back shed.
No Big Gav's a very smart individual, he will take the little lady for a weekend at The Langham, works a treat!

I witnessed the last half of this match and you're right, Centrals have improved alot especially their discipline. Cats looked like winning but just couldnt kick the goals when needed. Not an umpire basher myself but one of the men in orange was having far too much impact on the game especially over ruling his mates decisions and i must say i have never seen the cats faithful so disgusted with one of thems performance. And no it wasnt a simmo.

What is it with you Macedon supporters ??? :confused:
Not an umpire basher hey ??? And then you go on to do exactly just that ! :confused:
Nothing but facts ???........ What a joke !
Why is it that when Macedon are playing poorly you lot roll out the same old lame excuses.
Injuries and bad Umpiring !!!
Poor form. :thumbsdown:

It was a good tough game of football and the Centrals really came to play.. we should take nothing away from their performance .. the Cats kicked themselves out of the game against the Blues.. they will need to put their best performance of the season on the line this week when they take on the rampaging Bombers and it will be a great indicator of how both sides are really travelling this season.. bring it on :)

Good.. looked in top knick last night!

Woodend ground always looks OK on surface. Then you get some dew, an under-18s game, magoos match and you have a quagmire on your hands for the seniors.

Gilbert Gordon is a good cricket venue but football has to be moved away from that swamp in the long run.

Woodend ground always looks OK on surface. Then you get some dew, an under-18s game, magoos match and you have a quagmire on your hands for the seniors.

Gilbert Gordon is a good cricket venue but football has to be moved away from that swamp in the long run.

Yes Matt, you go on about it every year. Its in better knick than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back