RDFL Thread - 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would also hope the process of choosing grounds for finals is given more flexibility. We saw a final played on a dangerously boggy ground this year because the game was promised to the ground in advance. Shouldn't ever happen again in this league.

That one Final which was played on a slow track (hardly a dangerous bog !) was the pick of the Finals Matches IMHO. It was a cracker of a game right till the end. Man to man combat, close quarters footy with nowhere to hide. And Brent Tuckey was simply superb, & clearly the difference. I loved it ! :thumbsu:

I I agree with you the seniors was a great game. Not sure it justifies blokes and kids suffering serious injuries for it. Wet and muddy is fine. Dangerous is not. Just my opinion.

Jeez, you musta played ALL your footy in a Jumping Castle with a roof over it, if you thought that ground was dangerous ! :confused:

Yep Omni, people have gotten soft. I would love to know how many players, junior and senior, were injured as a result of playing on that 'dangerous' ground last season.

Well I'll tell you cause I asked that same question on the day...........& The answer is - Nought, zero, nadda, zip..... Not a single one !

Certainly didn't want to take it to this extent but I'm not sure who you asked. Certainly 2 of my sons friends missed the next game with ankle injuries. Both were carried off after contests on the wing. this could happen on any ground I agree. Not sure about other clubs.

Any time you are running off hard ground on to ground you sink into the chances of injury increase. Don't think anyone can deny that. Not trying to be hysterical about it just think it should have been moved. Have I seen worse? Absolutely, not very often though. Sets a precedent too. Don't see why Woodend should move games again now. We are possibly spoiled playing on a beautiful lush big country ground every week but I just thought it was an uneccesary risk on the day.
Anytime you take to a footy field there is risk of injury (ankles included). Maybe they should have taped their ankles to prevent this like most players do?

Woodend is a great cricket ground but a poor footy one. Shouldn't host finals, IMO, unless its a drought year. I reckon the long-term future of Woodend is two footy grounds at the old racecourse, one senior and one junior and pump all the money into it there. Gilbert Gordon is always going to be a quagmire after decent rain.

Certainly didn't want to take it to this extent but I'm not sure who you asked. Certainly 2 of my sons friends missed the next game with ankle injuries. Both were carried off after contests on the wing. this could happen on any ground I agree. Not sure about other clubs.

Any time you are running off hard ground on to ground you sink into the chances of injury increase. Don't think anyone can deny that. Not trying to be hysterical about it just think it should have been moved. Have I seen worse? Absolutely, not very often though. Sets a precedent too. Don't see why Woodend should move games again now. We are possibly spoiled playing on a beautiful lush big country ground every week but I just thought it was an uneccesary risk on the day.

Ahhh Why not ? Whats wrong with a bit of polite friendly robust debate anyway to round out the year ? :thumbsu:
The thread always becomes a little quiet & boring this time of year. Well done !
I must admit I didn't see the injuries you speak off, but I'll take your word for it. I DID ask around at the end of the day, maybe Clubs were keeping "mum" about those things !.......& come to think of it who can blame em I guess ???

I think the Major factor with regard to finals venues & ground conditions IS & should always be - Pragmatic Common Sense.
These things should be viewed in the context of "How can we make this thing happen". Rather than let the negative nay sayers dictate "Why it should not" !.................And I believe thats pretty much what happened with the hard working Woodend people putting on a great Final at Kyneton & also not to mention the magnificent work the Riddell committee & supporters did to get their ground up so we were all able to witness a truly riveting contest on the day. :thumbsu:

Anyway, Merry Christmass to you & have a happy & safe New Year and I hope to see you here next season having your say.

Cheers All ....... OMNI out ! :)

Back in jan mate, talk to you later about it ;)

I look fwd to it. :thumbsu:

Bloody quiet on here chaps, usually something has happened in the "silly season" to have the tongues wagging. Little to no mention from the AGM (or havent I scrolled back?), was there any changes anywhere? Rod and Toby had a tough time with draw I'd imagine, is everyone happy with their outcomes?

Talk of Kyneton battling over on the BFL thread, would they be seen as a target as the league still pursue's a possible "two tiered" set-up?
Anyway, hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Xmas/New Years period and may this year be enjoyable for all clubs.

I may be losing my marbles (or my computer is playing up again) but has there been a few posts deleted of late? I was certain there were a few since I posted the above almost a week ago ... :confused:

Real shame losing two very innovative & progressive thinking members off the Board pal............Come to think of it they were probably the only innovative & progressive thinking members on there !!!

Care to make a comment on the new inclusion/s mate, or what went on at the A.G.M. ?

Sorry for the late reply mate..

The AGM was pretty straight forward really, unfortunately, the league lost Tony Smith from the board who did a fantastic job with the juniors this year and Nathan Micaleff also stepped down. Former operations manager, board member and league life member Steve Turner rejoined the board, which is a fantastic result for the competition, been around this league for a long time and is a progressive thinker with open minded views, he will be an asset to the board of directors. :thumbsu:

As for the finals tender, I believe that changes have been made so that the tenders will be taken, but rather than venues being locked in, the flexibility of selection will be available to the GM and OM up to 7 days prior to the finals game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was one post here, think it was something about Kilmore and Wallan being pre season champs or something.

Cheers, there was a couple of posts as I commented on it, Im just glad to know that Im not losing my marbles ........ just yet :)

Come on lads fire up a bit, have we all gone gunshy or something??? Continue to discuss the Kyneton situation on the Bendigo FL thread, even to the point where it's suggested $50k a year would get them competitive in this comp. Competitive perhaps, finals ..... nowhere near it surely???

Come on lads fire up a bit, have we all gone gunshy or something??? Continue to discuss the Kyneton situation on the Bendigo FL thread, even to the point where it's suggested $50k a year would get them competitive in this comp. Competitive perhaps, finals ..... nowhere near it surely???

Depends who they could get back, but doubtful I would think.. Competitive is what they need these days though.

Haha. Would be nice. Would sure eliminate the unnecessary whinging of some on social media sites. ;)
I personally think the bye is a good thing in local football. Gives the boys an extra couple of weekends throughout the year to do something away from the football club. As for Kyneton, until they get over their own arrogance and realise they're not as big as they think they are, they will continue to be whipping boys in the BFL.

I see on the fixture that all clubs have 18.5's fixtured. Is this likely to change? Would be great if not.

Would hope not, but recent history suggest this wont be the case.

What's happening up at Broadford? Have heard that Grant Wearne and Marcus Webb have moved on, that would suggest that Burcul will do the same, but have also heard that after missing out on the signature of Gilbee that they might be chasing the signature of a hard on baller with some AFL experience.

And what about the Magpies?? From the rumours, they are losing Poorter, Blake Holmes, Cornish, Robbo and a few others?? Any truth?

Just checked the fixture for 2013. Any reason why there's NO Friday nite games? U18s comp really lifts when the occasional Saturday is freed up. These young blokes like to party up on there weekends , as we did , & the early sat morn starts seem to end a lot of careers pre-maturally. Having say 2 games a week at 2 venues & maybe followed by a second u18s game after each or even a senior match (kick off at 6pm for u18s) , IMO would be a great addition to the current set-up. Having been involved with these younger blokes in the NFL for a while , the average crowd at a u18s game sat morn would be 50 people. Put it on a Friday nite & these young men get to play in front of a lot bigger crowd (people drop in after work for a few & watch a local footy game ) & get there weekends back.
New to area so not sure of ground availability , but believe me the u18s comp would flourish if this was introduced. Just a suggestion.

Just checked the fixture for 2013. Any reason why there's NO Friday nite games? U18s comp really lifts when the occasional Saturday is freed up. These young blokes like to party up on there weekends , as we did , & the early sat morn starts seem to end a lot of careers pre-maturally. Having say 2 games a week at 2 venues & maybe followed by a second u18s game after each or even a senior match (kick off at 6pm for u18s) , IMO would be a great addition to the current set-up. Having been involved with these younger blokes in the NFL for a while , the average crowd at a u18s game sat morn would be 50 people. Put it on a Friday nite & these young men get to play in front of a lot bigger crowd (people drop in after work for a few & watch a local footy game ) & get there weekends back.
New to area so not sure of ground availability , but believe me the u18s comp would flourish if this was introduced. Just a suggestion.

I remember quite some time back heading down to Wallan a few times on Friday night to watch a 3rds game when they were in the Diamond Valley. Anything to keep young blokes playing football is worth investigating. Sadly it wont happen at Kilmore or Broadford I can guarantee ...... the lights are poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back