RDFNL 2019 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they did spent quite a bit doing it and favourable draw
let’s see how they fair over the next 3-5 years I reckon we will have the same conversation top 6-7 clubs getting stronger gap getting bigger
Hey Dave I was involved at Rockbank during that time did we spend heaps? Can’t remember you at the committee meetings?

Hey Dave I was involved at Rockbank during that time did we spend heaps? Can’t remember you at the committee meetings?
No but as you would know then you spent more than the last few years as did most other clubs on the bottom. Tell me the benefits of staying in the rdfl Leighroy keen to understand.

No but as you would know then you spent more than the last few years as did most other clubs on the bottom. Tell me the benefits of staying in the rdfl Leighroy keen to understand.

Tell me the benefits of WRFL Div 3?

Tell me the benefits of WRFL Div 3?
1- location most div 3 sides are not far away Tarneit / when suns / glenorden / laverton / sunshine hts / Brooklyn
2- will be competitive winning games is always positive
3- draw players from west and they will play in the west so better pool to pick from
4- won’t need to spend as big to compette
5- as the area grows then they will be more competitive and perhaps win a flag and go up a Div
6- good Jnr program
7- wrfl well organised and run comp
How’s that for starters

Do you think anyone should stay in the RDFL Dave?
Then give me reasons why they should stay seams no one can, I’m not saying leave the RDFL I’m saying what’s best for these clubs to survive.
My points are not negative in actual fact every point I presented in my last post was a positive

Then give me reasons why they should stay seams no one can, I’m not saying leave the RDFL I’m saying what’s best for these clubs to survive.
My points are not negative in actual fact every point I presented in my last post was a positive

Didn't say it was negative I just asked you to name those that you think should stay.

Cheers I think that broadford wuld do well out that way

Out that way is actually a fair hike "UP that way"
Be much harder to recruit guys outa Melbourne to drive 20mins thru Shepp as opposed to an hour or so up the Calder to majority of HDFL away games .... Unless of course you pay them to.

Unless it's a comp consisting of Yea, Alex, Thornton, Bonnie Doon, Thornton, Violet Town, Longwood, Avenel, Nagambie or a new merged entity from up there Broadford should be knocking on the HDFL door again. Under 17s fits as opposed to 16s to 19.5's.

Simply can't keep comp jumping, at some stage it's best to go back a step if the grass isn't greener to where there is at least some connection and a historic link. A number of Broadford folk are life members, comp medallists etc and now have no ties to it ... worth considering IMO.

Again unless it was tied to a reformation of say the WNEFL where there is history (and plenty of it) I'd be looking north to bigger grounds, better weather and genuine country footy folk.

Great discussions. David G spot on, I think all must admit he raises some great points about the sustainability of the WRFL for Rockbank. Points of travel, recruitment zone etc etc it makes sense. Forget starting at Div 3, Melton South Senior Football Club are currently voting to go to the WRFL for that very same reasons as suggested. No one is against the Rams get your head out the sand and do the due diligence. Sunbury had more hope in this comp and they have bailed. Word has it the new development over there has just advertised for a community meeting to start a new club so maybe those thinking the population will grow to benefit Rockbank may have to think again.

HOWEVER.....also great points about what does the league look like if they did go, if Broadford left, what do we have left. Fact is these clubs need to be looking after themselves, but AFL Goldfields and AFL VIC need to be casting that global view about footy in the region and what it looks like going forward. Instead of sitting on their backsides, get out there speak to clubs and you know what, despite what a club thinks, as many are filled with passionate volunteers who hold on to the past, your paid to offer advice and offer direction. You may just have to save a club from themselves by suggesting they entertain another avenue. The silence on the whole future of footy in the region is staggering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to ask the question on how successful it has been for clubs leaving the RDFNL for another competition across the last 20 to 30 years. Gisborne, Melton and Sunbury Lions enjoyed premiership success inside the first handful of years since leaving the RDFNL.. but I can't recall much success from other clubs ..
I'd be looking at the state of a particular club that is looking to move leagues.. whether it's RDFNL or other leagues .. how are their playing numbers? How are their facilities? How strong as their gate been on home days? How strong is their netball numbers and overall success? How are they going with sponsorship? How pro-active are their volunteers?
Across the journey I've heard numerous comments from clubs who have supporters blame their respective league for their failure to either attract numbers, sponsorship or produce a successful and sustainable business plan..
Having been in the system and worked with such tremendous people .. they spend so many hours trying to assist clubs across all levels.. even trying to assist with attracting coaches and players .. and also sitting down and drafting a sustainable business plan and model to attract and produce successful roles for volunteers that will ultimately improve player numbers, sponsorship, improved facilities and more help from the community.
I don't buy into the 'paid members from the league sit on their hands when it comes to helping clubs'.. because that is the biggest lie ever told in the RDFNL.
Doona said with tongue in cheek that I could offer more comments once I'm out of the system.. that's one of them.. this team of people worked hundreds of hours during the second half of the season (through the already business finals period across all comps) to assist clubs in the review process and the most honest thing that I can say out of that group is everyone at AFL Goldfields has wanted each club to succeed..
I respect clubs wanting to move on; that's their choice but I'd like to see clubs move on because they are too competitive for the competition and have a solid sponsorship and fan base..
I was too young at the time but when Gisborne moved .. they had won 3 premierships in a row; and out-grew the RDFNL .. they went to Bendigo and still won premierships.

I 100% understand and support to a fair degree everything you have said. I am not saying the league do not help clubs with governance and business planning. My point is that this is beyond that, if the decision is that for arguments sake Rockbank is staying in the RDFNL and it is in their best interest to do so, that's fine, sit down do your business plan and keep working on the key processes that make clubs strong. IF though the league or AFL VIC know or feel that based on the things you mention which really is like a health check of a club that they are best positioned for their sustainability longer term in another region competing (as the regions to sustain growth and leagues for different clubs have changed in the last 30 years), then tell them. Tell them where their future ought to be so they can move get onto the business planning and governance planning you refer to. So my point being, if clubs are in for the next 10-15 years, that's great help them, but if the league and AFL VIC have cast their eye and KNOW a club is best suited somewhere else, help them get there. Not just in this comp but it seems leagues and AFL VIC seem to wait for this to be club driven and the club is nearly dead by the time a decision is made. Do you think Ledg that the comp needs a rethink for its future?

I 100% understand and support to a fair degree everything you have said. I am not saying the league do not help clubs with governance and business planning. My point is that this is beyond that, if the decision is that for arguments sake Rockbank is staying in the RDFNL and it is in their best interest to do so, that's fine, sit down do your business plan and keep working on the key processes that make clubs strong. IF though the league or AFL VIC know or feel that based on the things you mention which really is like a health check of a club that they are best positioned for their sustainability longer term in another region competing (as the regions to sustain growth and leagues for different clubs have changed in the last 30 years), then tell them. Tell them where their future ought to be so they can move get onto the business planning and governance planning you refer to. So my point being, if clubs are in for the next 10-15 years, that's great help them, but if the league and AFL VIC have cast their eye and KNOW a club is best suited somewhere else, help them get there. Not just in this comp but it seems leagues and AFL VIC seem to wait for this to be club driven and the club is nearly dead by the time a decision is made. Do you think Ledg that the comp needs a rethink for its future?
I can't see why leagues wouldn't want any clubs to be part of their structure for the long, medium and short term.. one of the keys is to assist clubs to run and function well.. if a club doesn't succeed and is nearly dead.. is that because of the structure or place in the league?
I think the competition is sustainable to attract more teams. It has the potential to be very healthy.. it has a strong netball competition at senior and junior level and in terms of location.. it provides opportunities to attract players in rural and metro communities..

1- location most div 3 sides are not far away Tarneit / when suns / glenorden / laverton / sunshine hts / Brooklyn
Predominantly no difference to the current travel, at worst, a trip to Broadford or Wallan per year.
This would be an excuse, rather than working hard to be competitive.
3- draw players from west and they will play in the west so better pool to pick from
This is rubbish, between Manor Lakes and Rockbank, there are 14 football clubs, how does this provide a better pool? Div 3 clubs are paying ridiculous money as well, why would someone come out from the Werribee region for the same money and drive past 13 other clubs?
Just an excuse.
5- as the area grows then they will be more competitive and perhaps win a flag and go up a Div
As the area grows, there is no reason that Rockbank can't be more competitive in the RDFNL, moot point.
6- good Jnr program
So is the RDFNL.
There are issues in all competitions, the WRFL is no different.
How’s that for starters

In addition to the above, there is no Netball competition of note in the WRFL and running from issues to a weaker competition only makes you weaker, you hide the issues internally and fall to that level.

Thanks, but no thanks, it will take much more than the above for this to be considered.

The best way to explain it mate is like being loyal to your wife (not your wife mine)
Sometimes you go out to the Croc and see another model but deep down you know you love your wife and would never cheat on her.

AFLL is 100% spot on. The current system will kill the RDFL. I'm not all doom and gloom about the competition but has it dropped from 4 years ago? yes. The current climate for the lower ranked teams now is not going to get better. Its my show is completely right as well. If AFLL wants to back up his points why not re visit the points system? If it was me, I would get rid of the tier 1 comps being an extra point. There are some bloody good footballers in the RDFL and if they move to the EDFL or another tier one comp they are less points, but, if a similar standard player moves to ours then we get an extra point. How is that equal?

The league needs to be pro active. I did hear a rumour about the EDFL offering the Sharks a 2 year deal with no fees attached to move comps?

If it was me, the team with high juniors should have points lowered but the teams who are consistently bottom 3 should have points waved, so they can get people into the club. They can only spend so much anyway. Build depth over a period of time and safeguards against walk outs.

The biggest issue I have is the guys that are loyal who play for ten years and then leave for what ever reason on one point to get someone in at their standard is 4-5 points.

Backs up AFLL that the standard will keep getting worse. I agree building from juniors is always good but most of our clubs just don't have them.

How division 3 teams have more points than us is beyond me. A couple of our higher 2's ranked teams would nearly win their competition.
The comp was thriving a few years ago. People wanted to come and wanted to play. The rivalries were great. I hope we don't lose that.

Predominantly no difference to the current travel, at worst, a trip to Broadford or Wallan per year.
This would be an excuse, rather than working hard to be competitive.
This is rubbish, between Manor Lakes and Rockbank, there are 14 football clubs, how does this provide a better pool? Div 3 clubs are paying ridiculous money as well, why would someone come out from the Werribee region for the same money and drive past 13 other clubs?
Just an excuse.
As the area grows, there is no reason that Rockbank can't be more competitive in the RDFNL, moot point.
6- good Jnr program
So is the RDFNL.
There are issues in all competitions, the WRFL is no different.
How’s that for starters

In addition to the above, there is no Netball competition of note in the WRFL and running from issues to a weaker competition only makes you weaker, you hide the issues internally and fall to that level.

Thanks, but no thanks, it will take much more than the above for this to be considered.
You can have a opinion no issue and I accept your responses but time will tell doesn’t matter what anyone says also this will be my last response to any post you put up as per our last discussion hope you can refrain also if possible
Kindly
Dave G

I'd like to ask the question on how successful it has been for clubs leaving the RDFNL for another competition across the last 20 to 30 years. Gisborne, Melton and Sunbury Lions enjoyed premiership success inside the first handful of years since leaving the RDFNL.. but I can't recall much success from other clubs ..
I'd be looking at the state of a particular club that is looking to move leagues.. whether it's RDFNL or other leagues .. how are their playing numbers? How are their facilities? How strong as their gate been on home days? How strong is their netball numbers and overall success? How are they going with sponsorship? How pro-active are their volunteers?
Across the journey I've heard numerous comments from clubs who have supporters blame their respective league for their failure to either attract numbers, sponsorship or produce a successful and sustainable business plan..
Having been in the system and worked with such tremendous people .. they spend so many hours trying to assist clubs across all levels.. even trying to assist with attracting coaches and players .. and also sitting down and drafting a sustainable business plan and model to attract and produce successful roles for volunteers that will ultimately improve player numbers, sponsorship, improved facilities and more help from the community.
I don't buy into the 'paid members from the league sit on their hands when it comes to helping clubs'.. because that is the biggest lie ever told in the RDFNL.
Doona said with tongue in cheek that I could offer more comments once I'm out of the system.. that's one of them.. this team of people worked hundreds of hours during the second half of the season (through the already business finals period across all comps) to assist clubs in the review process and the most honest thing that I can say out of that group is everyone at AFL Goldfields has wanted each club to succeed..
I respect clubs wanting to move on; that's their choice but I'd like to see clubs move on because they are too competitive for the competition and have a solid sponsorship and fan base..
I was too young at the time but when Gisborne moved .. they had won 3 premierships in a row; and out-grew the RDFNL .. they went to Bendigo and still won premierships.

Well said mate.

AFLL is 100% spot on. The current system will kill the RDFL. I'm not all doom and gloom about the competition but has it dropped from 4 years ago? yes. The current climate for the lower ranked teams now is not going to get better. Its my show is completely right as well. If AFLL wants to back up his points why not re visit the points system? If it was me, I would get rid of the tier 1 comps being an extra point. There are some bloody good footballers in the RDFL and if they move to the EDFL or another tier one comp they are less points, but, if a similar standard player moves to ours then we get an extra point. How is that equal?

The league needs to be pro active. I did hear a rumour about the EDFL offering the Sharks a 2 year deal with no fees attached to move comps?

If it was me, the team with high juniors should have points lowered but the teams who are consistently bottom 3 should have points waved, so they can get people into the club. They can only spend so much anyway. Build depth over a period of time and safeguards against walk outs.

The biggest issue I have is the guys that are loyal who play for ten years and then leave for what ever reason on one point to get someone in at their standard is 4-5 points.

Backs up AFLL that the standard will keep getting worse. I agree building from juniors is always good but most of our clubs just don't have them.

How division 3 teams have more points than us is beyond me. A couple of our higher 2's ranked teams would nearly win their competition.
The comp was thriving a few years ago. People wanted to come and wanted to play. The rivalries were great. I hope we don't lose that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back