RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Outer East Div 2 will end up being all the teams north of Yarra Glen playing in their own separate division under the Outer East banner - a bit like the Seymour district comp mooted earlier this year.

May bring some stability and equality for some of those clubs.

Bonnie Doon might like the look of it too for the same reasons and transfer out of the Ovens and King comp.

With broadford gone what sort of season structure is likely, surely it won’t remain 18 games and then a top 6 finals.
I would think with 10 teams you do have 18 games, each team plays the other nine twice, then have a top 5. At least then you can call it a draw and not a fixture and the leading goal kickers award will be an even playing field. Jmho

Also think the top 5 gives the minor premiers the best benefit from finishing in that position.

Agree Humphrey, the league must now go to the play each other twice. 10 is a great number with the final 5 system. First gets the true benefit, 2/3 get the double chance 4/5 go into elimination and hopefully you have a team in 6th that is good enough that misses out. For the first time we heard in that statement by the league they are chasing clubs for 2021. Thats the first time I have ever heard the league make a position statement on they want more clubs. For mine, ensuring you have 10 clubs is fine. I honestly don't think there are going to be too many clubs jumping at the bit to get into the RDFL in its current performance, we need to show a really competitive competition next year and the league admin need to significantly lift their game in all areas as they are bottom of the barrel in terms of league admins. On the bright side with Lancefield looking more competitive already, Broadford gone we only have Rockbank as the team still struggling. By the way, great effort to remain viable and in the comp to all those that have rallied around the club I salute you. This is the off season though, and I am a believer a viable junior club is the only hope of success in the current climate at senior level with the stupidity of the existing points system. Lets hope some of the energy can translate to on it. Either way, if everyone plays everyone twice noone has an advantage in the fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Humphrey, the league must now go to the play each other twice. 10 is a great number with the final 5 system. First gets the true benefit, 2/3 get the double chance 4/5 go into elimination and hopefully you have a team in 6th that is good enough that misses out. For the first time we heard in that statement by the league they are chasing clubs for 2021. Thats the first time I have ever heard the league make a position statement on they want more clubs. For mine, ensuring you have 10 clubs is fine. I honestly don't think there are going to be too many clubs jumping at the bit to get into the RDFL in its current performance, we need to show a really competitive competition next year and the league admin need to significantly lift their game in all areas as they are bottom of the barrel in terms of league admins. On the bright side with Lancefield looking more competitive already, Broadford gone we only have Rockbank as the team still struggling. By the way, great effort to remain viable and in the comp to all those that have rallied around the club I salute you. This is the off season though, and I am a believer a viable junior club is the only hope of success in the current climate at senior level with the stupidity of the existing points system. Lets hope some of the energy can translate to on it. Either way, if everyone plays everyone twice noone has an advantage in the fixture.

Then at the end of 2020 Rupo gawn makes it 9 teams

Then at the end of 2020 Rupo gawn makes it 9 teams
I wouldn’t say Rupo are a certainty to go, from a senior perspective the cap is a lot more in Div 1 EDFL than current situation, money is hard to find and if ya ain’t gonna spend it no use going and just trundling along. The Mood and the vote will give more clarity as to the Rupo direction but my thoughts are it ain’t over the line just yet.

Last edited:
Broadford in some kind of way are basically returning to part of the old WNEFL which certainly was a great competition regretfull Seymour fought like cat and dog to go to the GVFL and won the next two premierships.
Avenel successfully went to the KDFL. The WNeFL disbanded after the 1976 season. Incidentally Yea was the last WNEFL premiership.Broadford who were the Bombers in the WNEFL thence of to the Riddel league in 1977. So back to the story Broadford Yea Alexandra and Thornton were all WNEFL clubs now AFL Outer East. Couple with Kinglake and Yarra glen. The travel distance is no far especially over the hill to strath creek across to flowerdale you basically there. The only travel will be to warby.

Broadford in some kind of way are basically returning to part of the old WNEFL which certainly was a great competition regretfull Seymour fought like cat and dog to go to the GVFL and won the next two premierships.
Avenel successfully went to the KDFL. The WNeFL disbanded after the 1976 season. Incidentally Yea was the last WNEFL premiership.Broadford who were the Bombers in the WNEFL thence of to the Riddel league in 1977. So back to the story Broadford Yea Alexandra and Thornton were all WNEFL clubs now AFL Outer East. Couple with Kinglake and Yarra glen. The travel distance is no far especially over the hill to strath creek across to flowerdale you basically there. The only travel will be to warby.

Will Broadford remain the kangas?

Not quite accurate there wtfa. Broadford went to the Heathcote league between their time at the WNEFL and RDFL. Also, I had a look at their opposition next season and Powelltown will be a longer drive than Warburton.
Roota, I believe that they will revert to their previous Essendon style strip for away games but will remain the Kangaroos.

Not quite accurate there wtfa. Broadford went to the Heathcote league between their time at the WNEFL and RDFL. Also, I had a look at their opposition next season and Powelltown will be a longer drive than Warburton.
Roota, I believe that they will revert to their previous Essendon style strip for away games but will remain the Kangaroos.

Thanks blueboy

I wish broadford all the best. Had a connection to them since I was a little racket through family friends, then playing against Dunney when he came up here, then meeting Doona, then actually playing against them and finally almost joining them for a season

Broadford 1977 to 1998 Riddell league
Broadford 1999 to 2008 Heathcote league
Broadford 2990 to 2019 Riddell league
Broadford 2020 AFL Outer East

Wikipedia Broadford fc site

Broadford 1977 to 1998 Riddell league
Broadford 1999 to 2008 Heathcote league
Broadford 2990 to 2019 Riddell league
Broadford 2020 AFL Outer East

Wikipedia Broadford fc site
Wtfa, I'm reading it different off the Wikipedia page for Broadford:
1977 to 1984 - RDFL
1985 to 2008 - Heathcote League
2009 to 2019 - RDFL

Then again, Wikipedia isn't always the gospel truth. Doona, you should be able to help out here.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back