RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit similar to you guys, the deal ain't done yet, but hopefully can make an announcement soon. I also hope to hear some announcements from Tigerland too, it would be great to see a strong outfit take to the field over at Lancefield.

You are right Blue Boy. Deal not completed yet,
I believe a couple have committed but some still to be finalised.
hopefully finalise a few names after our first training night Thursday.

Jordan Kindred keen to go again after having 12 months off.
A couple of other locals also coming back to the club after playing at a higher level.
And Daniel Frost who was well leading our B&F until he went travelling half way through last year coming back.
Lancefield AGM last night,

President Gina Morgan
VP Michael Tindley
Treasurer Chris Jolly
Secretary Di Weatherly.
Hey Morgs any chance Tommy negotiated getting a new pair of coaching thongs to wear to games, I know how he loves wearing the old double pluggers!

Weak as Pi$$ by the RDFL if you ask me. They didn’t take the same tone when quoted in our local paper.
Bonnie and the Roos executive had nothing to do with what Jordan referenced so to then $hit can new folk trying to pursue something both RDFL and AFL Goldfields can’t provide should be encouraged, not torn down.

Rupo? Wallan? Why would clubs want to join if it actually eventuated that the current mob lost 4 clubs across 3-4 seasons purely by not doing what you’re voted in, or paid to do.

Last edited:
With a lot of false promises that never eventuated ... or they mighta if the guy hadn’t fled without anyone from RDFL seeking answers
When the RDFL appeared before a hearing at AFL Victoria to try and prevent Kilmore leaving, they advised that they were looking at creating a second division in the next 5 years or so. How's that plan going?

I really don’t like the chances of rdfl gaining more sides..unless they go after Trentham or Kilmore.
What sides could the rdfl consider ?

A lot of the rdfl teams sit on the fringes of other comps to. So could be potential for teams to leave.
Centrals,rockbank = wrfl
Amongst others !

I agree Doona. I think it is pretty poor form. Like when a club loses a player, you have the stage to show everyone what your really about, what the true character and values of an organisation are. To throw that out, as you say to me it is just petulant and shows the immaturity. The current Broadford committee have kept the club afloat they do not deserve that. Everyone in the RDFL circles knows they went down the path of trying to cashflow a flag. That's fine you get judged by if you win it or not. They didn't and they have been judged harshly, by players leaving or not going there, sponsorship, debt for example. Maybe Broadford should have cited back the other way the poor performance of the RDFL, poor fixturing, lack of communication, an absolute mess of the junior program, the change from 18's to 19's, no direction not to mention from all reports one of the highest league fees to play community footy. For mine, once kilmore left this was always the danger. I thought the kilmore wallan broadford was a little triangle that supported each other. I do not know footy well out that well but kilmore in and broadford out makes more sense.

I agree Doona. I think it is pretty poor form. Like when a club loses a player, you have the stage to show everyone what your really about, what the true character and values of an organisation are. To throw that out, as you say to me it is just petulant and shows the immaturity. The current Broadford committee have kept the club afloat they do not deserve that. Everyone in the RDFL circles knows they went down the path of trying to cashflow a flag. That's fine you get judged by if you win it or not. They didn't and they have been judged harshly, by players leaving or not going there, sponsorship, debt for example. Maybe Broadford should have cited back the other way the poor performance of the RDFL, poor fixturing, lack of communication, an absolute mess of the junior program, the change from 18's to 19's, no direction not to mention from all reports one of the highest league fees to play community footy. For mine, once kilmore left this was always the danger. I thought the kilmore wallan broadford was a little triangle that supported each other. I do not know footy well out that well but kilmore in and broadford out makes more sense.

Kilmore wont return, the NFL has been quite accomodating and supportive, the juniors have aligned due to the growth of that arm of the club and with the reduction in travel and easier access to league based meetings and workshops etc it appears to have been a "win" for them to this point.
Let's not forget had they stayed the doors woulda shut as they couldn't get enough willing folk to establish a committee in the end (to play in RDFL).

I still say by not actually meeting with the HDFL Broadford have missed a huge opportunity to re-engage with important history, but as a former player coach and with stacks of family as Life Members I support what Bonnie and the young folk are doing, as they feel it's best.

The problem now is a sustainable future after the Seymour DJFL has this week been reduced to an U10/U12/U14 comp as of 2020.
Where does Broadford's 15/16/17yo kids play? Will they be lost to the game?

I'm old school and still firmly believe that major leagues play U18, district leagues play U17 and let's be honest, most these kids are quite wordly compared to 20 years back.
Some (or most) are drinking / rooting / doing what's seen as grown up things by 17 and expect to be treated as adults ... yet when it comes to footy many wanna hide in 19 and 19.5 age groups.

Anyway what's done is done, and yeh so disappointing to read the backhander dished to Bonnie by a representative of the RDFL.

Last edited:
Broadford in some kind of way are basically returning to part of the old WNEFL which certainly was a great competition regretfull Seymour fought like cat and dog to go to the GVFL and won the next two premierships.
Avenel successfully went to the KDFL. The WNeFL disbanded after the 1976 season. Incidentally Yea was the last WNEFL premiership.Broadford who were the Bombers in the WNEFL thence of to the Riddel league in 1977. So back to the story Broadford Yea Alexandra and Thornton were all WNEFL clubs now AFL Outer East. Couple with Kinglake and Yarra glen. The travel distance is no far especially over the hill to strath creek across to flowerdale you basically there. The only travel will be to warby.
Powelltown will be a touch further than Warby but you only have to do it once a year!!

At least Broadford have researched their decision and it seems the best decision for the club. There was no egos involved in the Broadford decision and it wasn’t about taking the easy road.

Some of the other clubs that have left are doing their clubs long term prospects serious damage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think Broadford would be looking forward to creating friendly rivalries with Yea, Alexandra, Thornton-Eildon and Kinglake will be great for the club
Yarra Glen, Yarra Junction, Powelltown are all great places to play and I am sure all of Broadford Football and Netball club are looking forward to new challenges

Kilmore wont return, the NFL has been quite accomodating and supportive, the juniors have aligned due to the growth of that arm of the club and with the reduction in travel and easier access to league based meetings and workshops etc it appears to have been a "win" for them to this point.
Let's not forget had they stayed the doors woulda shut as they couldn't get enough willing folk to establish a committee in the end (to play in RDFL).

I still say by not actually meeting with the HDFL Broadford have missed a huge opportunity to re-engage with important history, but as a former player coach and with stacks of family as Life Members I support what Bonnie and the young folk are doing, as they feel it's best.

The problem now is a sustainable future after the Seymour DJFL has this week been reduced to an U10/U12/U14 comp as of 2020.
Where does Broadford's 15/16/17yo kids play? Will they be lost to the game?

I'm old school and still firmly believe that major leagues play U18, district leagues play U17 and let's be honest, most these kids are quite wordly compared to 20 years back.
Some (or most) are drinking / rooting / doing what's seen as grown up things by 17 and expect to be treated as adults ... yet when it comes to footy many wanna hide in 19 and 19.5 age groups.

Anyway what's done is done, and yeh so disappointing to read the backhander dished to Bonnie by a representative of the RDFL.

I’m unable to read what was said by the RDFNL
Can someone enlighten me ??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I understand there are a multitude of reasons and thinking behind where clubs are choosing to play but logically how can Broadford, Wallan and Kilmore all be in different leagues.

I understand there are a multitude of reasons and thinking behind where clubs are choosing to play but logically how can Broadford, Wallan and Kilmore all be in different leagues.
my guess would be the League has not supplied full filled their expectations
perhaps I should say maybe the league defy logic in their operation.

Last edited:
Great first night at Lancefield, Over 50 on the track.
seven new faces that haven’t played for lancefield before.
Plus six that haven’t played at lancefield for a few years.
five of the thirteen have signed already.
lots more promising to come and have a look.

I’m unable to read what was said by the RDFNL
Can someone enlighten me ??

I'll see if I can find it and text it thru Skip.
Worrying times, Seymour Juniors to stop at U14s, and after the Broadford JFC enquiries to both NFL and RDFL were declined about one U16 or U17 side in 2020 with looking to enter entire club beyond ... I now hold grave fears going forward should the senior club not find an U17, reserves, seniors comp for 2021.

I'll see if I can find it and text it thru Skip.
Worrying times, Seymour Juniors to stop at U14s, and after the Broadford JFC enquiries to both NFL and RDFL were declined about one U16 or U17 side in 2020 with looking to enter entire club beyond ... I now hold grave fears going forward should the senior club not find an U17, reserves, seniors comp for 2021.

It’s ok Doona I have finally read it.

I would of thought the league view may have been different to what has been stated.

But does that surprise me
Not one bit

It’s ok Doona I have finally read it.

I would of thought the league view may have been different to what has been stated.

But does that surprise me
Not one bit

I think you might be spot on Skip, I also would of thought the league view was different to what was stated.
Ive always tried to see the leagues point of view on some issues that have been raised in the past because I love the RDFL and want it to be a great league going forward because it has that potential, but the comments in that article regarding Broadford were out of order, a stronger stance would have been to wish Broadford all the best and maybe speak about clubs they could target to make the RDFL stronger league going forward.

I think you might be spot on Skip, I also would of thought the league view was different to what was stated.
Ive always tried to see the leagues point of view on some issues that have been raised in the past because I love the RDFL and want it to be a great league going forward because it has that potential, but the comments in that article regarding Broadford were out of order, a stronger stance would have been to wish Broadford all the best and maybe speak about clubs they could target to make the RDFL stronger league going forward.

WOW61
And the RDFNL wonder why clubs look at other options going forward, why wouldn’t they when for years clubs have been crying out to hear what the league will look like in say 5 years
To say Broadford has taken the easy option just shows the leadership at the top of this league.

Better watch what I say on here.
The last time I posted something they didn’t like I lost the inter league gig.

So much for free speech hey.

It is extremely disappointing to see Broadford leave the RDFNL as it is a far better competition for having them part of it.. and this is largely due to the tremendous quality and camaraderie that Broadford's members provide which will leave a gaping hole in the overall, quality culture that has been some strong within the RDFNL clubs.
I can imagine Broadford as a club did not make this decision lightly and I cannot wait to follow its next journey going forward.. hopefully one day it does return to the RDFNL.

It is extremely disappointing to see Broadford leave the RDFNL as it is a far better competition for having them part of it.. and this is largely due to the tremendous quality and camaraderie that Broadford's members provide which will leave a gaping hole in the overall, quality culture that has been some strong within the RDFNL clubs.
I can imagine Broadford as a club did not make this decision lightly and I cannot wait to follow its next journey going forward.. hopefully one day it does return to the RDFNL.

Gunna be tough now mate for the club to survive, the Seymour junior comp at this week's AGM have become an U14 as top age competition, and with the NFL and RDFL not willing to take on an U16 or U17 team from Broadford for 2020 with the prospect to roll entire club across thereafter means a huge block of kids (mainly 2004's and 2005's) have no football options at Broadford.

How this situation will ever provide a regular 3rds team is beyond me ... very concerning.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2020 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back