RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone heard an update on the Giants senior coach search? Probably be wanting to appoint someone pretty soon.
be good for someone development minded like the douttas coach he does a good job with far less available talent and not the expenditure of rivals.
unsure about RDFL but I’d assume it could be a minimum $15-$20000 with no pressure or expectations early on

massive get for the final peice in the long overude premiership puzzle. points no issue at wallan i see and obviously they still got between $10000 and $15000 free in the salary cap with 9-10 rounds to play which may prove a business masterstoke

There is something seriously wrong with the junior development in this league. Smacked in all grades today in interleauge.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They were struggling to find coaches.

I believe the kids were training without coaches in a couple of the teams to begin with.

That wouldn’t have helped, but yes, not very good results.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is something seriously wrong with the junior development in this league. Smacked in all grades today in interleauge.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile a

pulling from such a small amount of clubs and teams compared to down here and from memory the standard or rdfl juniors can be a fair way off the bigger stronger higher populated competitions too. clubs need to be better at knowing how to develop instead of scorebaord coaching or perhaps the cliubs themselves missed the mark in who got nominated to play. cannons are all over social media down here around the edfl visiting clubs taking trainiing why arent they doing the same for your clubs?

pulling from such a small amount of clubs and teams compared to down here and from memory the standard or rdfl juniors can be a fair way off the bigger stronger higher populated competitions too. clubs need to be better at knowing how to develop instead of scorebaord coaching or perhaps the cliubs themselves missed the mark in who got nominated to play. cannons are all over social media down here around the edfl visiting clubs taking trainiing why arent they doing the same for your clubs?
It seems Cannons only care about the Northern suburbs. Every now and then youll see them poking around else where but only at bug clubs like Sunbury Lions or Gisborne. They don't seem to care to much about RDFL. Sunbury and the Macedon ranges are almost in whole different world.

Yes the standard of juniors in the RDFL would be miles behind EDFL and the likes. Not sure why they keep competing against one another expecting different results. Doesn't make our league and its development look good at all. Hopefully there are some big changes next year.

Teams like Sunbury Lions and Gisborne seem to develop their young blokes well when they come up from RDFL into Ballarat & Bendigo Leauges.

Last edited:

Could the player development be better, probably. But you’re really not comparing apples with apples when comparing RDFNL and EDFL juniors. EDFL has around 6 grades in each age group, RDFNL usually 2 grades. The EDFL is drawing from a player pool around 3 times that of the EDFL. It makes sense that if you’re drawing from more players you’ll come up with a better team.

It seems Cannons only care about the Northern suburbs. Every now and then youll see them poking around else where but only at bug clubs like Sunbury Lions or Gisborne. They don't seem to care to much about RDFL. Sunbury and the Macedon ranges are almost in whole different world.

Yes the standard of juniors in the RDFL would be miles behind EDFL and the likes. Not sure why they keep competing against one another expecting different results. Doesn't make our league and its development look good at all. Hopefully there are some big changes next year.

Teams like Sunbury Lions and Gisborne seem to develop their young blokes well when they come up from RDFL into Ballarat & Bendigo Leauges.
And if they are any good McGuane will get them to keilor with false promises of potential getting looked at as recruiters go to there games. That’s also doesn’t help these small country towns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if they are any good McGuane will get them to keilor with false promises of potential getting looked at as recruiters go to there games. That’s also doesn’t help these small country towns.
How many RDFL juniors have left their club to go to Keilor?

If this is the case… so what?
So if players leave a system/competition it weakens that comp. I’m just giving a little background to why RDFL doesn’t compete well against the other leagues at the Metro competition. As for Hermes70, I’m not saying it is right or wrong for players to move to other clubs, not putting on the players, family or destination club but for a couple of reasons I have a good understanding of the young athletes in the Sunbury area and know where they are playing the respective sports.

So if players leave a system/competition it weakens that comp. I’m just giving a little background to why RDFL doesn’t compete well against the other leagues at the Metro competition. As for Hermes70, I’m not saying it is right or wrong for players to move to other clubs, not putting on the players, family or destination club but for a couple of reasons I have a good understanding of the young athletes in the Sunbury area and know where they are playing the respective sports.
To only lose 4 players a year to another comp would be impressive.

100s, maybe 1000s, of kids change leagues every year for a variety of reasons.

A total of 8 goals kicked across 4 games from our leagues younger lads. What an absolute joke. No wonder people take the absolute piss when the letters RDFL are mentioned. If this is the future of the leauge it doesn't look good. The next LVFL or KDFL????

And the age groups are odd number compared to edfl being evens which I believe causes kids to move every year to play top age each year.

And the age groups are odd number compared to edfl being evens which I believe causes kids to move every year to play top age each year.
I wish someone could do sum research.
The facts are more kids have come back to RDFL from EDFL that have left.
Rupo have no u16 and no u18 because those kids have spread between Kangaz, diggers rest and Sunbury. Facts
The Interleague results are simply the number of kids to chose from. Of course the RDFL b sides will get flogged.

are the RDFL obligated to play two teams in each division? could one team in the B comp for each be a better option. dont no the amount of teams across your u15 comp compared to the edfl wrfl etc who go u14 and u16 with more clubs thsan greg norman and id think 5-6 times the amount of teams also which then ,means a lot more players to pick from.

Talk of the RDFNL teams as a win in interleague has gone on for years. I don't think there's any shame in admitting that, the Eastern, Western and EDFL sides are just that much better.

The strength in the junior ranks has clearly moved east and I think that shows in results.

I don't know how you make the teams stronger, but at the end of the day it's a development program played over 3 games and somehow the clubs are going to have to keep those kids in the country areas as they get older. That in itself is going to be hard enough.

Just let the kids have some fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

RDFNL 2024 Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back