List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They ran on the news that Lever has asked for a % increase with the cap increase in the contract and the club has refused.
This is the impass.

I glean from this good news that the kid wants to stay. The club will play ball. Hopefully in the form of... "Ok Snake, have your %.....but that will be 2 more years on top of the 3 we offered thx."

I'm not sure I follow the logic

The cap is going up 20% plus change in next few years

He is presumably looking for a lot bigger increase than 20% on his current contract

Sounds like he's looking to fix in his new contacted price, but then have it increase as the cap increases. His new price will take into account the much larger new cap plus his higher value within it, he's just wanting AFL CPI going forward.

Why are we so damn stingy with our money? Is this because we are seriously offering Kelly 1mill per year?
Hopefully our players know about this and are willing to make a small sacrifice in salary to fit Kelly into the team.

I doubt we are stingy

You have to pay a minimum of 95% of the cap I would say we are paying 100%

If the salary fits I'm sure they will pay it but they can't go spare, it needs to be balanced as when Milera, Smith, laird, talia, Atkins or CC come out of contract we won't have any left everyone needs their fair share but no one can be greedy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like he's looking to fix in his new contacted price, but then have it increase as the cap increases. His new price will take into account the much larger new cap plus his higher value within it, he's just wanting AFL CPI going forward.
Seems fair to me from Lever's perspective.

Seems reasonable, and the club refusing it reads as if they are saving the CBA money for a big name recruit.

He could take a short term contract with the clause that x games triggers x new contract with the x money involved.

Ideally a 2+4 deal, where the cba comes into effect and he gets another pay rise. Security over the extra momey now hopefully tips him across the line.

Seems reasonable, and the club refusing it reads as if they are saving the CBA money for a big name recruit.

He could take a short term contract with the clause that x games triggers x new contract with the x money involved.

Ideally a 2+4 deal, where the cba comes into effect and he gets another pay rise. Security over the extra momey now hopefully tips him across the line.
It's probably more that the club doesn't want to set a precedent in linking player salaries to rises in the salary cap. Once you do it for one, everyone else will want it and suddenly any extra money you get from salary cap increases will be gobbled up by existing salaries, leaving you nothing to fight off other clubs who didn't do that and now have several hundred extra thousand to spend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there no inbuilt incremental rises. If he's signing for $500k x 3, he wants $505k in year 2 if the cap is scheduled to go up by 1% for that year. But you're right, all rises are fixed, so it can be locked in now you'd think.

I doubt he would be looking for just cap increases, he would be backing himself that his output will increase and probably become more and more important to the team, so you would think his manager may be looking at incraeses as his performances increase , which TBH is fair enough, greater output getting paid more along with the cap increases

Are there no inbuilt incremental rises. If he's signing for $500k x 3, he wants $505k in year 2 if the cap is scheduled to go up by 1% for that year. But you're right, all rises are fixed, so it can be locked in now you'd think.

I would imagine his schedule of payments would be spread differently throughout his contract.

He'll be offered a total of X over Y years. That will be spread a certain way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back