List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sloane...despite being an absolute star of the game, Victorian, highly marketable, girlfriend whose media career could probably take off to greater heights based in Melb permanently, not made captain...still stayed for what we assume to be a fair but not overpriced salary because he actually loves the club, loves the playing group and, I believe, rates premiership success as his ultimate goal.

Sloane...what a bloody legend!! Have we ever had such an amazingly loyal, A+ grade player not from SA?
And the irony is that we pay him less than the squeaky wheels......

And the irony is that we pay him less than the squeaky wheels......
If we are good enough to get to the GF and go on and win it either this year or in the next couple there is no one I'd rather with a Norm Smith around his neck than R Sloane.

While it takes a whole club and shitload of good fortune to win a flag, if we do it in this era there are 6 blokes I'll elevate above the rest for the highest praise: Ricciuto, Fagan, Walsh, Pyke, Walker, Sloane.

I fully believe that the major reason for Dangerfield leaving was family related. He could have earned more playing for a number of Melbourne clubs, but he and his wife wanted to start a family and live near both sets of parents (which I can understand, my wife and I built our house in a location that was close to both sets of our parents).
His parents came over for every game. The support networks at the AFC are far better than most jobs.

He left because he is now the highest profile player in the game thanks to being a Melbourne media darling. Which has propelled him into his next career. He will be in the media for the next 20 plus years.

If he ever wins a Premiership it will be his Brownlow Medal and the associated prestige and opportunities that come with it he will pride above his Premiership medal.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is it just me who finds the fact that his supposed destination keeps changing by the week as somewhat of a positive sign. I would have thought that if he was leaving he would have definitely decided where by now and there would either consistent news about 1 particular club or alternatively very little noise at all. Unless he's going to somewhere that hasn't even been mentioned?? Perhaps I'm just grasping at straws...

His parents came over for every game. The support networks at the AFC are far better than most jobs.

He left because he is now the highest profile player in the game thanks to being a Melbourne media darling. Which has propelled him into his next career. He will be in the media for the next 20 plus years.

If he ever wins a Premiership it will be his Brownlow Medal and the associated prestige and opportunities that come with it he will pride above his Premiership medal.

When we had kids my parents wanted to see the little ones at least once a week. That's a lot easier to do when you live 5km away instead of 500km away.

It's one thing to have external support networks in place, but for many people they aren't going to be able to replace your parents.

We have just seen with Tomic how the media and public react when an athlete admits they only play for the money. At least Tomic is being honest.

It is why these guys always play the "Homesick and family support" card when they leave for a better contract or a bigger market.

Even Tip did this with his half hour stopover in Sydney as a ten year old

Sloane...despite being an absolute star of the game, Victorian, highly marketable, girlfriend whose media career could probably take off to greater heights based in Melb permanently, not made captain...still stayed for what we assume to be a fair but not overpriced salary because he actually loves the club, loves the playing group and, I believe, rates premiership success as his ultimate goal.

Sloane...what a bloody legend!! Have we ever had such an amazingly loyal, A+ grade player not from SA?

That McLeod guy went ok.

When we had kids my parents wanted to see the little ones at least once a week. That's a lot easier to do when you live 5km away instead of 500km away.

It's one thing to have external support networks in place, but for many people they aren't going to be able to replace your parents.
He would have seen his parents at least once a week.

Different lifestyle to most people who move interstate. These guys see their parents regularly.

I once worked with an ex Collingwood players mum. She and her husband went to nearly every game in Victoria and the club paid.

Daresay we have a similar set up. Back in the days of the after match at Footy Park you would always see players chatting with their parents after the game. Even those from interstate.

We have just seen with Tomic how the media and public react when an athlete admits they only play for the money. At least Tomic is being honest.

It is why these guys always play the "Homesick and family support" card when they leave for a better contract or a bigger market.

I've been saying that homesickness is a cop out for a while now.

I also find it funny that blokes lauded for their leadership capabilities (Davis, Ward, Lever) are the ones ditching their team mates for more money. In the case of the former two, it's no surprise that the players under them seem to do whatever the hell they want. Being well spoken often seems to get confused for being a great leader.

You actually believe what footballers say on the radio?

Personally I believe that, "cash won't shape the decision" is code for "Melbournites struggle to breathe the South Australian air, so, on doctor's orders, I'm heading back to my insular bubble for health reasons. Also, my gf misses Bourke Street Mall."

I'd Say Chadstone more likely

He would have seen his parents at least once a week.

Different lifestyle to most people who move interstate. These guys see their parents regularly.

I once worked with an ex Collingwood players mum. She and her husband went to nearly every game in Victoria and the club paid.

Daresay we have a similar set up. Back in the days of the after match at Footy Park you would always see players chatting with their parents after the game. Even those from interstate.

Yep, but trust me, having kids makes a big difference.

Both sets of parents wanted to see us a lot more once we had kids (Hint: they didn't give a shit whether they saw my wife and I though! :D). It also put my wife and I at ease knowing that we had a support network less than half an hour away if we really needed it.

Yes, people have telephones and Skype and a plane flight from Adelaide to Melbourne is only a couple of hours, but it's not the same thing. Some people may not be close to their family, so the distance doesn't matter, but it seemed like that wasn't the case for Danger and Mardi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having kids definitely changes your relationship with your parents. I can say from experience, having no nearby grandparent support in those early years is hard work. And it's good for the kids to have some other adults in their lives. That said, when I was child free and in my twenties, catching up with my folks on a regular basis was not high on the list of priorities! Dont buy the homesick stuff except in rare cases. Mostly it's just an acceptable alternative to articulating the real reason - don't like the city, don't like the club, don't get on with my team mates, my partner is unhappy, just want the biggest pay check I can swing, etc.

Is it just me who finds the fact that his supposed destination keeps changing by the week as somewhat of a positive sign. I would have thought that if he was leaving he would have definitely decided where by now and there would either consistent news about 1 particular club or alternatively very little noise at all. Unless he's going to somewhere that hasn't even been mentioned?? Perhaps I'm just grasping at straws...
Salient

I think people fall for what is publicly said too often. Fact is that coming out publicly and saying "I hate living in adelaide, I want the media opportunities in Melbourne, the club offered me a shit deal, my girlfriend is a pretentious posh type who needs 372 shopping centres and nail salons per square km or she can't survive, I did it for the money, I don't like living in a city trapped in time, I don't like the coach, the club wouldn't give me a 5 year deal etc etc" isn't ever done.

It's like when your mate gets a divorce because they "grew apart" from their wife. Usually means the sex stopped, and he went and got with a few chicks on Soi Cowboy in Thailand. Growing apart is code for any number of reasons that isn't always appropriate to say publicly.

Jakes mind would be made. The club may know already. The club may have given him an appropriate angle to use with the media. I for one chose to not buy into any talk until action takes place because actions speak louder than words.

Last edited by a moderator:
What we need is to fast-forward to a reality in which the salary cap is so effing big that players - esp. stars (inc. those on the rise like Lever) - make so much money that they have no want nor need to pursue media or sponsorship opportunities.

Also make the season slightly shorter and let our interstaters live 'at home' in the off-season and then come back to Adelaide for 'camp' and the season proper.

Mardi and Danger could be living in bloody Maggs Creek right now whilst he does his season with us and sees her every couple of weeks before rejoining her from October to January!!

What we need is to fast-forward to a reality in which the salary cap is so effing big that players - esp. stars (inc. those on the rise like Lever) - make so much money that they have no want nor need to pursue media or sponsorship opportunities.

Also make the season slightly shorter and let our interstaters live 'at home' in the off-season and then come back to Adelaide for 'camp' and the season proper.

Mardi and Danger could be living in bloody Maggs Creek right now whilst he does his season with us and sees her every couple of weeks before rejoining her from October to January!!
Until George came along....

Tippet and Tomic, I bet their mates. Each is probably the only Aussie left who like's the other.

I've been saying that homesickness is a cop out for a while now.

I also find it funny that blokes lauded for their leadership capabilities (Davis, Ward, Lever) are the ones ditching their team mates for more money. In the case of the former two, it's no surprise that the players under them seem to do whatever the hell they want. Being well spoken often seems to get confused for being a great leader.
I think Rookie contracts should be 3 years min, preferably 4 years, with a clause for 1st round players in which the club can decide whether to extend an additional year without player consent (at a substantially higher pay grade). Like they do in the NFL. These rookie's going out of state for 2 years then electing club of choice and forcing the team that drafted them to play ball is utter BS, at least in 4-5 years the team might have got some value out of the pick, or better yet will give these precious 18-19 years olds a bit of time to man the F__K up about their 'homesickness'!

I think Rookie contracts should be 3 years min, preferably 4 years, with a clause for 1st round players in which the club can decide whether to extend an additional year without player consent (at a substantially higher pay grade). Like they do in the NFL. These rookie's going out of state for 2 years then electing club of choice and forcing the team that drafted them to play ball is utter BS, at least in 4-5 years the team might have got some value out of the pick, or better yet will give these precious 18-19 years olds a bit of time to man the F__K up about their 'homesickness'!
Care to point out what new draftees have done that? I think you'll find it's very much the exception to the rule. I can't think of anyone other than Tom Boyd and he left because the Bulldogs made him a ridiculously large offer.

The Danger thread had a lot more inside info with gone or staying stated as fact repeatedly. No one has any info on Lever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back