List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, please, please let us get Devon Smith. The guys a genius with the footy. Stevie J on steroids.

Good player but a genius is carrying it a bit far. In and out of the GWS side at various times, plays hard when he feels like it but his effort on occasion is lack lustre and not the greatest distributor of a ball I've seen. Can be a selfish player at times, he's been in the system a while now has he ever torn games apart consistently?

There must be a fair bit of coin floating around in our reserves and outside the current 22:
- Menzel
- Gore
- Seedsman
- Otten
- Thompson
- Hampton
- Cheney

Moving on someone like Henderson, even though he is a handy AFL player, is a good thing because it's too much cap space for a player who is not an essential part of our best 15 or 16.

Perhaps we have to alter our list profile a bit. Give away some of our depth in spots 23-35 on the list and fill the gap with a few more draftees. It's a luxury to be able to bring in Otten or Seedsman if we cop an injury but if that luxury is costing us players like Lever or McGovern is it worth it?

Maybe Menzel and Seed to attract them to our club, but those others wouldn't be on much. Gore, Otten, Thompson would be on close to the minimum. Hampton/Cheney maybe a little more. Im talking more your MacKay, Smith, Brown, Douglas type players. Who are middle rung players (salary wise) that may be on $50-$100k more than usual because we like to spread it.

So if Lever signs then? He's not loyal because he didn't do it the second he got a contract under his nose? The guy has a contract or 3 in front of him that will set himself and his offspring up for life. Forgive him for not putting pen to paper immediately to a Crows contract that pales in comparison from what he might get elsewhere.

I agree. He has never put contract talks off which means he is giving Adelaide every chance to entice him to stay. His manager from all reports only got back this week or last week. So they have only just sat down with the club to nut out the best offers. To be honest, I think it's a win win for us whether he stays or goes. So this panic about him going, we should sack him before the GF if he hasn't signed etc is just ludicrous. I think a fair majority of the commentary is more about the panic of yet another player leaving more so than actually what Jake offers the club. Let's get something clear, he is a star player but he isn't the best player in our team nor is he the best player in our defence. We have 3 more players who can play his position crying out for game time in the SANFL. He is replaceable to the point, we probably wouldn't even notice due to the calibre of players waiting in the SANFL. So can we stop with this pathetic hysteria, the pathetic ideas about dropping him and lets pump our side up for finals!

Well there's been a bit of talk how we don't pay our players enough so we could start there.
Every team has the same salary cap, of which they have to pay 95%.

We are paying our players the same amount as every other club.

The pie is the same size.

How do you propose we pay more?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Come on

Maybe we are paying the wrong players too much?

Without knowing what player salaries are this is just pure speculation

If we look back at the big name players we have lost I think you will find the club has made the right call 9/10 times.

Dangerfield - No amount of money was going to keep him. He genuinely wanted home to be with family, regardless we were offering more than Geelong.
Tippett - We offered him the largest contract we have ever offered a player. Think it was 750/800k at the time. Swans paying him close to $1mill a season. No where near worth that.
Davis - GWS reportedly paid him $600k a year to entice him. At 21 years old was not worth it at the time and he's still not worth it. Would you want to be paying him the same as Talia?
Bock - Maybe could have upped our game here. Was being offered $600k per year by Gold Coast. Not sure what we offered. As an AA player probably could have matched it. However injury ruined his career and he was never as good as player before the leg break anyway as he was here. Club made right call here too.
Gunston - Think by the school boy attitude and way he left the club we could have offered more and he would have stayed but we would have lost him eventually. Family orientated. Just didn't want to be in SA.

As you can see from the above the club has been pretty astute in the way we have handled salaries and more than often have made the right call.

Anyone Ive missed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep career FA after 6 or 8 years but before that teams must be able to trade players to any team.

This must happen, but because it's not a massive issue for the Victorian teams it will never be addressed.

So if Lever signs then? He's not loyal because he didn't do it the second he got a contract under his nose? The guy has a contract or 3 in front of him that will set himself and his offspring up for life. Forgive him for not putting pen to paper immediately to a Crows contract that pales in comparison from what he might get elsewhere.

Then he is free to go elsewhere.....just don't drag it out, don't lie and don't be stupid enough to gt caught lying.
If anything, if he came out and said he was wanting to go back to Vic because of his partner, bloody hell, then we could make him an offer he coudn't refuse OR we come out and explain the club's philosophy.

Tex signed
Sloane signed
Talia signed
Eddie signed
Jenkins signed
Kelly signed
Keath signed
Knight signed
Greenwood signed
Even Doedee signed......

He's known all year his contract is up......do I believe him that he didn't speak to Melbourne ? Not sure - if it was any other journo apart from Caro I'd call bullshit.

You are or you aren't. Sorry. Loyalty is for schmucks.......apparently.

Edit
6 weeks ago after the Dogs game I would have been 90% sure he was staying. He had a great game and was marking everything in sight.Looked like he was having a ball.

Last edited:

If we look back at the big name players we have lost I think you will find the club has made the right call 9/10 times.

Dangerfield - No amount of money was going to keep him. He genuinely wanted home to be with family, regardless we were offering more than Geelong.
Tippett - We offered him the largest contract we have ever offered a player. Think it was 750/800k at the time. Swans paying him close to $1mill a season. No where near worth that.
Davis - GWS reportedly paid him $600k a year to entice him. At 21 years old was not worth it at the time and he's still not worth it. Would you want to be paying him the same as Talia?
Bock - Maybe could have upped our game here. Was being offered $600k per year by Gold Coast. Not sure what we offered. As an AA player probably could have matched it. However injury ruined his career and he was never as good as player before the leg break anyway as he was here. Club made right call here too.
Gunston - Think by the school boy attitude and way he left the club we could have offered more and he would have stayed but we would have lost him eventually. Family orientated. Just didn't want to be in SA.

As you can see from the above the club has been pretty astute in the way we have handled salaries and more than often have made the right call.

Anyone Ive missed?
Yeah we've been unlucky and more than likely adding Lever to that list.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Easy - if we paid the likes of Mackay/Thompson (who should have retired last year anyway) $150k less than what they are getting this year then we could give that to a gun like Lever.

That would get us in the ball park of what interstate clubs are likely offering (assuming we're offering something like $500k).

AFC Pyke said ideally the Crows would re-sign Lever and McGovern before the start of the finals to avoid any distractions from achieving the ultimate goal of breaking the Club's 19-year premiership drought.

Even without them, Gunston, Tippett, Dangerfield, (Lever?) is a pretty star-studded field and outstrips most clubs

Was just looking at that List and because of it, I am more relaxed if we lose Lever, so far to date, apart from Dangerfield every one of the Players we lost for what ever reason, has been comfortably replaced with arguably a better player position wise on the field.
And in some way, we have even come up trumps with Dangerfield moves. guess that a Half full or half empty discussion.
Yes these are not direct swaps but highlight the simple fact we have a nasty habit of replacing talent with talent when the need arises
We lost Bock and replaced him with Davis who we then replaced with Talia. Talia better than both of them.
We Lost Gunston replaced by Lynch, Lynch is better than Gunstan
We lost Tippett replaced by JJ, 50 plus goal kicker and relieving ruck I take JJ before Tippett. every day. and Jacob a better Ruck
We Lost Dangerfield and so far have gained more from Sloane, B Crouch, Greenwood again Half Full Half empty, I would still like a danger on the list
We lose Lever oand going on our past record would almost say there a replacement in wings waiting. Maybe it Keath could be Doedee if he gains an extra 3-4cm (already gain 2cm from rumours I have heard.)
We Lose CC and Gallucci slips in with ease, fast can tackle hard and can kick goals.

So when I look at that if we lose Lever and CC I am more concerned with what we get for them. Also, Predicting McGovern staying and CC is going
So, in summary, the Crows may lose players but they are very good at finding replacements that turn out better rather quickly.

Yeah we've been unlucky and more than likely adding Lever to that list.

I'm not saying its unlucky but can you say the club hasn't made the right call on most of those?

If Lever does indeed leave for $800k then so long I say. I have no doubt we will be offering around that $600k mark. Which is I think is fair enough. Probably overs, but a premium in there to keep him.

What do you propose we do?

And don't just use a blanket statement like 'pay them more'.

If we pay the Lever's of the world more than someone else misses out, which means we risk losing them. There are more contributors to a premiership side than just half a dozen big name players.

I'm not saying its unlucky but can you say the club hasn't made the right call on most of those?

If Lever does indeed leave for $800k then so long I say. I have no doubt we will be offering around that $600k mark. Which is I think is fair enough. Probably overs, but a premium in there to keep him.

What do you propose we do?

And don't just use a blanket statement like 'pay them more'.

If we pay the Lever's of the world more than someone else misses out, which means we risk losing them. There are more contributors to a premiership side than just half a dozen big name players.
Pay him more and we will be having the same discussion regarding Sloane, M Crouch etc next year

Anyone Ive missed?

No.

And in perspective that's what - 5 players in over 7 years.
Tippett was the one that shitted me off the most - not cause he left - cause he lied.

Clubs must be able to trade players without the player vetoing it. Players have waaaay too much power.

I can't believe this hasn't happened yet. The AFLPA is getting away with murder with the current FA system. Clubs are essentially unable to create a bidding war for leaving players and can't get a return on their investment. I have no issues with trading someone to their home state for sympathetic reasons but they should not be allowed to nominate a destination club unless they are qualified free agents. Why shouldn't Adelaide be able to shop around Lever to the highest bidder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back