Really, really old retro forgotten games

Remove this Banner Ad

Went down that rabbit hole back in August. Settled on the 35XXSP. Could easily see myself collecting multiple devices.... but I plan on getting a Steamdeck for that purpose in the future.
Yeah, I plan to get a Steam Deck eventually, too, if Valve ever decide to release it in Australia. Going by their track record, I’m not holding my breath.

Since this thread has me in full nostalgia mode, a few favourites that got the most workouts at home as a kid between my sister and me.

Air_Sea_Battle_cover.jpg
air_sea_battle_pal_2.gif

Air Sea Battle. Still remember this being my mum's favourite game and one we could always get her to jump in for a round. Play as surface to air missiles, or as planes trying to bomb boats, or as boats trying to shoot planes, or play 2 player as either of them. Lots of fun.

atari_2600.mousetrap_AU.16988504117533000.jpg
sddefault.jpg

Mouse Trap. Some of the sweetest box art around. I know you're thinking it probably looks like a Pacman clone, and well, yeah, it was. Eat the food as a mouse, avoid the cats, eat and bank dog bones for the ability to change into a dog at will and eat some... er... cats. Did have a slight change in that the levels had certain spots where walls could be activated and deactivated to help in avoiding the cats.

Outlaw-Atari-2600-cover-art.jpg
Outlaw-2600.png

Outlaw. This was Goldeneye in our house before Goldeneye even existed. Simple as heck, shoot the other person 10 times to win. Out of all the games this would easily have started the most fights in our house. Game modes included making the cactus or scrolling wagon in the middle of the screen destructible, or making the bullets ricochet off walls. After every hit the cowboy would sit down for a few seconds. If you timed it perfect, you could make your sibling red hot with rage by shooting the next bullet just before their cowboy stood up so that it would hit them as soon as they stand up but before they have any time to move out of the way, and repeat until victory.

venture_atari_red_1988_cart_2.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Venture. Very fun game with a a bit more to it. Navigate the ghosts to enter each room which then had other monsters in it to avoid/clear out in order to retrieve treasure.

Some other (potentially lesser known) ones I remember are:
Gorf - Alien invasion based game. First level was a clear knock off of Space Invaders but after that had some cool other levels.
Carnival - Super simple. Don't think it even had a second level, just shooting gallery type stuff.
Wizard of Wor - Another maze based game. This time work together to clear mazes of monsters.
Kung Fu Master - Side scroller. Very simple kick, punch, jump mechanics.

Since this thread has me in full nostalgia mode, a few favourites that got the most workouts at home as a kid between my sister and me.

View attachment 2141458
View attachment 2141459

Air Sea Battle. Still remember this being my mum's favourite game and one we could always get her to jump in for a round. Play as surface to air missiles, or as planes trying to bomb boats, or as boats trying to shoot planes, or play 2 player as either of them. Lots of fun.

View attachment 2141465
View attachment 2141466

Mouse Trap. Some of the sweetest box art around. I know you're thinking it probably looks like a Pacman clone, and well, yeah, it was. Eat the food as a mouse, avoid the cats, eat and bank dog bones for the ability to change into a dog at will and eat some... er... cats. Did have a slight change in that the levels had certain spots where walls could be activated and deactivated to help in avoiding the cats.

View attachment 2141470
View attachment 2141471

Outlaw. This was Goldeneye in our house before Goldeneye even existed. Simple as heck, shoot the other person 10 times to win. Out of all the games this would easily have started the most fights in our house. Game modes included making the cactus or scrolling wagon in the middle of the screen destructible, or making the bullets ricochet off walls. After every hit the cowboy would sit down for a few seconds. If you timed it perfect, you could make your sibling red hot with rage by shooting the next bullet just before their cowboy stood up so that it would hit them as soon as they stand up but before they have any time to move out of the way, and repeat until victory.

View attachment 2141490
View attachment 2141491

Venture. Very fun game with a a bit more to it. Navigate the ghosts to enter each room which then had other monsters in it to avoid/clear out in order to retrieve treasure.

Some other (potentially lesser known) ones I remember are:
Gorf - Alien invasion based game. First level was a clear knock off of Space Invaders but after that had some cool other levels.
Carnival - Super simple. Don't think it even had a second level, just shooting gallery type stuff.
Wizard of Wor - Another maze based game. This time work together to clear mazes of monsters.
Kung Fu Master - Side scroller. Very simple kick, punch, jump mechanics.
Man, great games. I have Air, Sea Battle and Outlaw on a bootleg Atari cartridge we bought from Paddy’s market when I was a kid. It had 16 games on it. And funnily enough, Air, Sea Battle was the only video game my dad would ever touch. He used to play me at it a lot, but never played any other video game, lol.

I'm old enough to remember the commodore 64. However, the games I played using that computer were Race for the States (An american political game) and I am sure there was a maths game, where if you got the answer wrong, you lost a wicket. Other games I played were boulder-dash and the summer/winter/olympic sports series. I graduated to the NES, and played Teenage mutant ninja turtles, plus the AFL game mentioned earlier Out of bounds.. on the full, and the cricket game..
I remember playing Choplifter on my mate's dad's C64

I remember playing Choplifter on my mate's dad's C64

Choplifter was awesome. I had it on one of my computers too. It eventually got a SNES release and my friend got it but I had a lot of trouble with the gamepad controls. I think because SNES was the first time I used any controller with shoulder buttons and I never got the feel for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Really, really old retro forgotten games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back