Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s an easy argument to counter as the rest of our team provide that flexibility, Banners has become (or has been used as) a genuine Utility player, who can be moved back, Wing or forward, JOM and Johnson can both play inside/outside mid and forward, Young has been used forward recently. In game injuries don’t really scare me as we have the ability to shuffle the magnets around.

I agree - which was why I was saying the argument of flexibility can't be made because we use another one position player as the sub.

I agree - which was why I was saying the argument of flexibility can't be made because we use another one position player as the sub.

He would be a good sub but at the moment he is playing well enough to be best 22. Brodie came on last season against Gold Coast and took the game away from them as the sub. It's a no brainer.

Looking forward to seeing our three key forwards being competitive in contests and the follow up tomorrow. We know they have foot skills and are agile and fast. What is cause for great optimism is the follow up work, tackles, pressure, bumps. All things that less talented KPF's struggle with because they haven't got the same attributes of our guys.

The other thing to look for is marks on the lead. Which will mean they score some despite a slick surface.

Slippery, blustery conditions, a team pushing for the eight and a 50 point win... don't mind if I do!

This has been the most enjoyable season in years. We are at the beginning of the decade of dominance! And we are in it up to our eyeballs.

Class on every line. Game winners all over the field. Brayshaw building back to dominance, Youngs emergence. Darcy building and we have one of the best midfield units in the league.

Add to that the most exciting young forward group in the league, who despite their youth are already taking games over... We have never had a forward line anything close to this and we won't be our best up their for a couple of years yet!

FREEEEEEEOOOOOOOOO

FREEEEEEOOOOOOOOO

It's Monday morning and you support the most talented young team in the league!

You have played with the kids, sent a loving message to the wife, bought her a card and wrote something thoughtful (best $5 you will spend) and are looking forward to a wonderful week!

The midfield is purring, the forwards are growing and the backs are carving up the opposition. The skip is injured and although we want him back for finals, we get to see a young gun get further development.

Clear eyes, full heart. Can't lose!

Optimism abounds... does anyone not see that the decade of dominance has begun?

Gladiator GIF

We have our very own Bunny team

Wish it was Carlton or the Slime but The Dees will do
Geelong aren't far behind. Haven't beaten us in 3 years and historically, we've been the ones, regardless of expectations, to knock them off at home in the big games when few else could.

Think the team is more than capable of winning the flag this year.

I look at the top four and am don't think there is a team that is out of our league. Brisbane seem to have the most balanced team, Sydney the most dynamic. Injuries to a few key players in any team will have a big say.

We could also have an all non vic GF. Which would make it a great season to make the GF for us. In coming years it won't matter who we play.

Not getting ahead of myself or anything, but how nice would it be to win our first flag on our 29th year?

View attachment 2055537
We're genuinely putting ourselves in the mix.....I watched really close yesterday; the work ethic was strong, individual moments of brilliance and good team dynamics were on display; characteristics of a team making a case for challenging for the Big Dance and the team was playing like a team with that mindset. The errors we made, some soft and silly turnovers that almost directly lead to goals each time are maybe the thing that most causes me concern - especially when Finals is about tight manic pressure and the teams are clearly 'better', I thought we just got a bit......lackadaisical here and there and against a better team than Melbourne currently are, we might have been punished or pushed to a point where our hearts might not have appreciated it!! So there's that..........but!

You never know, dare to dream.......why not?! You get nothing if that's all you expect.......nothing. So on that basis, we really have nothing to lose because with our list age demographic, it's not really expected.

Sharp is going pretty well for someone who played all of 2023 in the seconds, and had only played 23 games across three seasons at the top level, before joining Freo. He literally hit the ground running, is only 22, has played his role, is a team player and looks like he's loving it at the club. Looking forward to his continued development

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at the top four and am don't think there is a team that is out of our league. Brisbane seem to have the most balanced team, Sydney the most dynamic. Injuries to a few key players in any team will have a big say.

We could also have an all non vic GF. Which would make it a great season to make the GF for us. In coming years it won't matter who we play.
Only team I’m afraid of is Carlton as they play an extra four behind the ball

Almost impossible to beat

As for the others , bring ‘em on !

Was chatting to a mate at the club yesterday... they are all sad for Moose. And very high on Draper. Basically talking like they rate him as a ceiling higher than any of our KPD's and at the level of the top young KPD's league wide.

I have heard him talk about Andy, Serong and Amiss in the same way. Huge wraps.

I am not at that place yet, but if he even goes close it is a massive win for the next ten years of Freo football.

Only team I’m afraid of is Carlton as they play an extra four behind the ball

Almost impossible to beat

As for the others , bring ‘em on !
I'm interested.
If they have an extra four behind the ball, aren't they four short in front of the ball? My maths isn't what it once was but isn't that a zero sum game? Where does the advantage lie?
Cheers.

Was chatting to a mate at the club yesterday... they are all sad for Moose. And very high on Draper. Basically talking like they rate him as a ceiling higher than any of our KPD's and at the level of the top young KPD's league wide.

I have heard him talk about Andy, Serong and Amiss in the same way. Huge wraps.

I am not at that place yet, but if he even goes close it is a massive win for the next ten years of Freo football.

I got really excited in the pre-season games. Just the way he played. The speed coming forward to intercept. Thought at that point he'd be something like Cox at least.

Having watched him at ground level and on counter attack at AFL level now, I can see the hype for sure.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty clear that, given the ages of the players involved and their respective positions, the list we have right now is the most talented list we've ever had at the club

Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Jackson, Darcy, Amiss, Treacy, Ryan, Pearce, Cox

We have had superstars before (such as Fyfe, who is still playing too), but never so many playing together at one time. This is without even looking at the other A grade talent on the list like Clark and Chapman

We are also starting to play at the level these guys are capable of. We are in the mix not only this year, but for the next few years to come too. Sit back and enjoy the ride, it's going to be a very enjoyable few years

Freo just look like happy campers.
Young men who are really happy with their mates, the club and what is being layed out for them.
I'm not even sad that Hogan is leading the goal kicking and Neale might win another Brownlow.
The list is well balanced and chockers full good characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back