Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand the reference, and knowing you I know you aren't calling my daughter or wife an ugly bitch, so could you explain please?
They buy a heap of this stock on the exchange including for a massive client and it tanks on the day. Movie is Wall Street.

Similar to how I feel about the vent thread, although I understand it has a purpose and no one is forcing me to click the link.

I will add that in all of my corporate and business experience there is no indicator that pessimism is useful. So I will continue to be optimistic. I am looking forward to seeing how we go in the last two games and hopefully the finals. As frustrating as our loss was, there is hope we will bounce back next week and we can beat Port here the week after.
100%

Pessimism is a giant waste of time at best and a drag at worst. I indulged big time last year when we sucked and it got me nowhere.

Optimism/positivity can improve things tangibly. Pretty sure it's well studied phenomenon across heaps of scenarios and fields.

Feels a whole heap better if nothing else.

100%

Pessimism is a giant waste of time at best and a drag at worst. I indulged big time last year when we sucked and it got me nowhere.

Optimism/positivity can improve things tangibly. Pretty sure it's well studied phenomenon across heaps of scenarios and fields.

Feels a whole heap better if nothing else.
One of the traps of pessimism is often a false sense of intellectual superiority. I used the example of the people calling a market crash twice a year. I will keep dollar cost averaging and in times like last week, buy more.

Re: the bolded. It has been studied and there are benefits personally, relationally (spouse, children and friends) and in a team (business or sporting).

There really is no benefit to being pessimistic.

I will add that in all of my corporate and business experience there is no indicator that pessimism is useful. So I will continue to be optimistic. I am looking forward to seeing how we go in the last two games and hopefully the finals. As frustrating as our loss was, there is hope we will bounce back next week and we can beat Port here the week after.
Your corporate and business experience should also demonstrate that blind optimism and wilfully ignoring what appear to be some pretty fundamental flaws in any business model won’t lead to long term success.
If we apply these analogies to the AFL and specifically to the performance of the Fremantle Dockers in 2024, it’s true that there may be some positives but there are a lot of rather alarming flaws beginning to appear.
They require a significant amount of correct decisions to be made to keep us on track, and that’s only to even give us a small chance of achieving what I and most other fans consider success (one premiership at some point in the next few years with the core of this team).

One of our clear competitors (Hawks) in the marketplace for a premiership in the next few years has very clearly come from well behind us in terms of performance and future outlook at the beginning of this season, to being well advanced on where we are as we approach the end of the year.

One of the traps of pessimism is often a false sense of intellectual superiority. I used the example of the people calling a market crash twice a year. I will keep dollar cost averaging and in times like last week, buy more.

Re: the bolded. It has been studied and there are benefits personally, relationally (spouse, children and friends) and in a team (business or sporting).

There really is no benefit to being pessimistic.
I've definitely read about the team one and I think, from memory it hinted at a more general application. Not sure if I ever followed it up. To be fair I was pretty convinced and nothing I've experienced since has changed my mind.

I'm on board. Forgive me if I blow up during trade week (where I am most sensitive).

Decade of dominance!

Your corporate and business experience should also demonstrate that blind optimism and wilfully ignoring what appear to be some pretty fundamental flaws in any business model won’t lead to long term success.
If we apply these analogies to the AFL and specifically to the performance of the Fremantle Dockers in 2024, it’s true that there may be some positives but there are a lot of rather alarming flaws beginning to appear.
They require a significant amount of correct decisions to be made to keep us on track, and that’s only to even give us a small chance of achieving what I and most other fans consider success (one premiership at some point in the next few years with the core of this team).

One of our clear competitors (Hawks) in the marketplace for a premiership in the next few years has very clearly come from well behind us in terms of performance and future outlook at the beginning of this season, to being well advanced on where we are as we approach the end of the year.

No one said anything about 'blind optimism'. That is a poor faith technique to win an argument. It is possible to be insightful, practical and optimistic.

In regards to the Hawks, they are in better form than us, but on the season as a whole we are more advanced than the Hawks. What you are doing is recency bias mixed with your desire to prove a point. As to outlook at the beginning of the year, I would like to see who the 'experts' tipped to be ahead or behind. My memory is that we were similar. Could be wrong on that though.

We have a team full of A grade potential, some of it realised, some of it being realised and some of it developing. We are young and will see some older heads retire at the end of the year. In Treacy, Amiss and Jackson we have the best three pong attack to build on. It is obvious we need a crumbing forward or two and I expect we will improve in that area at the end of the year.

Nothing blindly optimistic. But assuredly optimistic.

I've definitely read about the team one and I think, from memory it hinted at a more general application. Not sure if I ever followed it up. To be fair I was pretty convinced and nothing I've experienced since has changed my mind.

I'm on board. Forgive me if I blow up during trade week (where I am most sensitive).

Decade of dominance!

I think there is an exemption for trade week and the draft!

No one said anything about 'blind optimism'. That is a poor faith technique to win an argument. It is possible to be insightful, practical and optimistic.

In regards to the Hawks, they are in better form than us, but on the season as a whole we are more advanced than the Hawks. What you are doing is recency bias mixed with your desire to prove a point. As to outlook at the beginning of the year, I would like to see who the 'experts' tipped to be ahead or behind. My memory is that we were similar. Could be wrong on that though.

We have a team full of A grade potential, some of it realised, some of it being realised and some of it developing. We are young and will see some older heads retire at the end of the year. In Treacy, Amiss and Jackson we have the best three pong attack to build on. It is obvious we need a crumbing forward or two and I expect we will improve in that area at the end of the year.

Nothing blindly optimistic. But assuredly optimistic.
It’s not the thread for it so I won’t get into detail but I reckon you would do well to find a single non-freo fan that thinks we are “more advanced” than the Hawks right now. Over the last 17 rounds they are ranked the number one team in the competition (not just a run of form it’s almost an entire season). I think myself they are heading for prelim final weekend at a minimum and they have a decent chance of winning it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not the thread for it so I won’t get into detail but I reckon you would do well to find a single non-freo fan that thinks we are “more advanced” than the Hawks right now. Over the last 17 rounds they are ranked the number one team in the competition (not just a run of form it’s almost an entire season). I think myself they are heading for prelim final weekend at a minimum and they have a decent chance of winning it all.
If we have Pearce, Darcy and Treacy back, I’d love to play them in a final, we’d win this game (if we make finals)

We took them to the wire in Tassie. I would back us at the G or here.

If you look at the ladder, which is the scorecard for the year, and percentage we are ahead. That takes into account the full season.

We took them to the wire in Tassie. I would back us at the G or here.

If you look at the ladder, which is the scorecard for the year, and percentage we are ahead. That takes into account the full season.
Hope you are right.
I guess we can revisit this one in a few weeks time when the full season is complete.

Don’t get too sucked into the footy media and what form does. We were charging for top 2 ourselves and we have a few key outs and 12 points later, over two games our own fans think we are rubbish.

If Hawks lost Sicily or Meek they would go to water a lot quicker than we have. With our age / experience profile we can’t expect to be dominating yet and we will need everything to go right to challenge. Over time I expect us to improve this and the luck be removed from the equation.

It’s a fools errand to compare us to the current “luckiest” team, especially on a weekly basis. There are 17 other teams so the grass is going to always be greener somewhere unless we are favourites for a flag.

Don’t get too sucked into the footy media and what form does. We were charging for top 2 ourselves and we have a few key outs and 12 points later, over two games our own fans think we are rubbish.

If Hawks lost Sicily or Meek they would go to water a lot quicker than we have. With our age / experience profile we can’t expect to be dominating yet and we will need everything to go right to challenge. Over time I expect us to improve this and the luck be removed from the equation.

It’s a fools errand to compare us to the current “luckiest” team, especially on a weekly basis. There are 17 other teams so the grass is going to always be greener somewhere unless we are favourites for a flag.

Exactly - the media wants an excuse to hype core vic clubs. It is good for business. We have been hit by injuries to key players at the worst time. And as you say it was only 20 days ago there was talk of a top two finish. We are also in a strange season with so many teams still mathematically a chance to make the finals.

Geelong at almost full strength

Freo without Darcey Tracey Pearce Walters

I love how suddenly we are referring to Walters as a key OUT when three weeks ago we thought he was addition by subtraction?

It's never as good or as bad as it seems applies to all teams, not just Freo. Hawks are no chance of winning it all.

JLo wakes up to himself, picks a balanced team with either a fit Darcy or Reidy and Jackson holds his marks. Brody gets a go even if it as sub
Treacy returns

We beat GWS and all is good in the world again

That’s my optimism
Mind blowing that Brodie doesn't get a go.He was a big reason we had a good '22 season ,He can stand up and is a big body.He would give more than Johnson has given right now and still JLO hates him.My only bit of optomism is that the coach finally gives him a game ffs

Mind blowing that Brodie doesn't get a go.He was a big reason we had a good '22 season ,He can stand up and is a big body.He would give more than Johnson has given right now and still JLO hates him.My only bit of optomism is that the coach finally gives him a game ffs

This isn’t really the thread for this but Brodies inability to play another position has torpedoed his chance of being a starting 22 player.

In our team we only really carry 3 exclusive mids, Fyfe, Serong and Brayshaw (and you can make an argument Serong spends a little bit of time forward at points). Young does heavy midfield rotation but can be swung forward. Then all that’s left is JOM, Johnson and Switta who all play other positions primarily and are rotated into the middle on occasion.

If Brodie is playing in the 22, then he’s displacing one of the 3, which is not happening. Flashback to 22, Fyfe and Young aren’t there and voila, a place for Brodie and Mundy opens up. The only argument I can see for Brodie is to have him as sub, but we clearly value versatility over impact as sub as it stands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back