Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanted to 'love' and 'laugh' at this.. The hawks have at least been a club that has punched above its weight historically.

I am disappointed and just refuse to allow it to affect my wife, kids or the life we are building with work/business. I also booked in a bonfire night with some non footy following friends next week! I will stare into those mesmerising flames and listen to ridiculous stories to my hearts content!
Haha yep we have made the playoffs most seasons in the last 10-15 but still. My god they are a frustrating franchise.

How good are flame comas, could sit there just staring for hours.

I just can’t find the time or energy to vent and get angry.

There is so much that this young team of committed footballers did to prove to themselves that they have what it takes to be a seriously good outfit. The missing pieces were either sitting on the sidelines injured or experience to be gained from more games together. If I’m feeling a bit disappointed then the hurt must be huge for those guys that were out there this season.

Win, lose or draw I will always turn up and give my support.

I just can’t find the time or energy to vent and get angry.

There is so much that this young team of committed footballers did to prove to themselves that they have what it takes to be a seriously good outfit. The missing pieces were either sitting on the sidelines injured or experience to be gained from more games together. If I’m feeling a bit disappointed then the hurt must be huge for those guys that were out there this season.

Win, lose or draw I will always turn up and give my support.
After all is said and done I find myself turning back to this point of view a lot more than anything else.

Some thoughts:

We enter next season with one of two scenarios:

1. Treacy, Amiss and Jackson leading the forward line, all with improvement in their game. Amiss to take a big leap physically which will add confidence and take him easily past the 45 goals in the year tally. treacy to kick fifty plus and Jackson hitting the 30 goal mark with ease. Not much pure crumbing support but Simpson developing and Freddy and Switta doing enough. Oh, and a bevvy of top line draft picks to enjoy.

2. Treacy, Amiss and Jackson leading the forward line, all with improvement in their game. Amiss to take a big leap physically which will add confidence and take him easily past the 45 goals in the year tally. Treacy to kick fifty plus and Jackson hitting the 30 goal mark with ease. Bolton creating mismatches and making the forward line impossible to match up on. Simpson developing around Bolton. With Switta and Freddy breaking free when the attention is on Bolton.

I don't think we have ever been close to this position in our history. I can't wait to see how it unfolds!

I think all our close losses show that we were a fairly consistent and competitive side outside of the West Coast, Bulldogs and Sydney losses.

Sometimes in 2022 and 2023 we looked really outclassed.

Agree - big difference this season. I thought if we made the finals and got Treacy and Pearce back we could play with anyone. Been a long time since I felt that confidence.

Honestly if we can land both Bolton and Pickett I will almost forgive the club of 30 years of their sins

The thought of those 2 running around with Amiss , Jackson , Treacy and Sturt makes me feel all …………… 🤤

Even one changes the forward dynamic in a positive way. Freddy and Switta get more license, more space and the team becomes more dynamic. Both? Well, that would be a ridiculous Forward line with added pace through the middle.

Even one changes the forward dynamic in a positive way. Freddy and Switta get more license, more space and the team becomes more dynamic. Both? Well, that would be a ridiculous Forward line with added pace through the middle.
True
The chop out and X Factor they will provide the mids will definitely be another string to the bow

I’m trying to temper it but f*k me I’m excited .
If those deals get done I reckon the liquor shops around Freo way are gonna run out of champagne

Im just curious. Freo apparently played some of their lowest pressure games in the last 4. of this season What games were their highest? ....Sydney was one of the lowest pressure teams in 2022 and is now the highest in 2024. Does it make a difference or depend on who you play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im just curious. Freo apparently played some of their lowest pressure games in the last 4. of this season What games were their highest? ....Sydney was one of the lowest pressure teams in 2022 and is now the highest in 2024. Does it make a difference or depend on who you play.
We're a low pressure team that cracks under pressure.

We're a low pressure team that cracks under pressure.

You mean we struggle when our first choice spine isn't on the park. Sure, like almost every other team.

I am looking forward to how we grow and build next season. I can't wait to see the next 8-9 season at our magnificent club!

You mean we struggle when our first choice spine isn't on the park. Sure, like almost every other team.

I am looking forward to how we grow and build next season. I can't wait to see the next 8-9 season at our magnificent club!
Every club gets injuries. We lost our last four matches and we were in all them including blowing a 25 point lead against an average side. The team's even shit at maths. Salvaging a draw would have got us in.

What stupid club brought Pearce back too early?

We blew the games against Port and Carlton early in the year with Pearce and Treacy in the side. Not to mention the WC fiasco.

Every club gets injuries. We lost our last four matches and we were in all them including blowing a 25 point lead against an average side. The team's even shit at maths. Salvaging a draw would have got us in.

We blew the games against Port and Carlton early in the year with Pearce and Treacy in the side. Not to mention the WC fiasco.
Wrong thread. Move along.

You're right. I just find it hard tp ne optimistic.
Can I recommend a wood fire and nice glass of Balvennie Doublewood? Drink with clear ice in a crystal tumbler, whilst trying to work out all the permutations that Young will have to consider kicking to next year's potential forward line.

w***erish? Absolutely.

State of optimism? Unparalleled.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can I recommend a wood fire and nice glass of Balvennie Doublewood? Drink with clear ice in a crystal tumbler, whilst trying to work out all the permutations that Young will have to consider kicking to next year's potential forward line.

w***erish? Absolutely.

State of optimism? Unparalleled.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh My God Omg GIF

With Pearce the choice is plate and back in 4-5, or natural healing and back in 8.

They chose the small risk to get him back.

Fremantle has somehow become of the oppo teams I'm quite keen on - along with GWS and lately Hawthorn.

If we didn't have Freo picks in this draft I'd have been happy to see them win the flag, but as things stand it's in RFC's favour that Freo fell out of the top8.

So many positives about this team. Two great rucks in Darcy and Jackson. Lots of midfield talent (although I think poor Fyfe is finished unfortunately). Key forwards like Amiss and Treacy. A reasonable backline.

Reminds me of RFC in 2016 - plenty of talent, maybe a few missing pieces, but things may well come good. I think Bolton would fit in super well at Freo and could provide a bit of spark.

We traded in Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy at the end of 2016, and importantly we traded OUT Deledio (a fan favourite, but reportedly not a leader's a-hole tbh).

I wonder if Freo might trade a couple of players in and genuinely contend in 2025. Would be tragic if Fyfe wasn't there but that may well be the case unfortunately.

EDIT: To be clear, Fyfe needs to stay on the list. Freo should look at subbing him off/on and keep him going as long as possible. He doesn't need to play 80% TOG anymore.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

Back