Food & Drink Recipe Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Slow Cooked Lamb Shoulder
  • Okay all. Since we've been doing some discussion around slow cooking - perhaps people might like to post a link or the recipe for your favourite slow cook

Slow Cooked Lamb Shoulder:

Ingredients:
    1 Lamb Shoulder (bone in) 1.3 to 1.5kg
    Sprigs of Rosemary
    Garlic 3-5 cloves (quartered or halved depending on their size)
    Olive Oil 1/2 tablespoon
    Red Onion: peeled & quartered
    Carrots: 3 to 4
    Potatoes: 4-5 medium (peeled & halved)
    Beef Stock: 500 ml
    Salt & pepper per taste

A few glasses of red wine at the end while doing final prep:wineglass::meatbone:

Method:
    1: With a sharp knife make incisions in the lamb and stuff them with the quartered/halved garlic & Rosemary. Make it deep enough to get the garlic clove in there good and proper. You're going to have to make sure they stay in there. Why? Because you don't want them falling out when you brown the shoulder.
    2: Season well with salt & pepper
    3: Add stock to slow cooker. Throw in the cut vegies. Note: at this point the recipe calls for adding the potatoes to the slow cooker. But I've never liked how it turned out. So I cook the potatoes in the oven instead.
    4: Turn on slow cooker.
    5: Add the oil to a pan - and brown the shoulder. This is where you'll know if you've placed the garlic & rosemary in well enough :tongueoutv1:
    6: Add shoulder to slow cooker. I keep it on low and cook for about 6 hours.
    7: Pre-heat the oven to 200c.
    I transfer lamb shoulder oven for the final hour to give it a nice skin. So after 6 hours - take the should out and put it into the oven.
    8: Whack your potatoes in knowing you've got about an hour for the shoulder in the oven as well.
    9: When you're ready to serve & your lamb is out sitting for about 10 mins - make your gravy using a cup of the stock from the slow cooker.
    10: I also serve up the carrots & onion.

Note: If you've got enough left overs I shred the lamb while its still hot. Pack it away and use it the next night to make Shepherds pie & I also throw in a bit of the left over gravy. Delicious

Original recipe can be found here:

Last edited:
    Chocolate Mud Cake
  • Try this for dessert.

Chocolate Mud Cake

2 eggs
    350g castor sugar
    140ml vegetable oil
    210g plain flour
    11g baking soda (bi-carb soda)
    75g cocoa powder
    225g sour cream
    240ml milk
    1. Preheat the oven to 160˚C. Grease a 22cm square cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper. If the tin has a removable base, it is a good idea to place this tin on a baking tray as the batter is very runny and may leak out during cooking.
    2. Whisk the eggs, oil and castor sugar together until pale in a large bowl.
    3. In a medium sized bowl sieve together the plain flour, baking soda and cocoa powder and mix together so they are combined.
    4. Place the sour cream in another bowl, and slowly pour the milk onto the sour cream while whisking and continue to whisk until completely combined. This should help to avoid any lumps of sour cream.
    5. Alternate the wet and dry ingredients as you mix it into the egg/sugar/oil mixture, finishing off with the milk. Mix until completely combined. The mixture will be very runny.
    6. Pour batter into the prepared tin and bake in oven for approximately 75 minutes. You will know when the cake is ready, as a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake will come out clean (or only a couple of crumbs).
    7. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes and then take out of the tin, remove the baking paper and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
    The cake is usually quite high in the middle as it comes out of the oven. This will flatten out as it cools.
    Chocolate Ganache
    100g thickened cream
    30g unsalted butter
    200g dark chocolate
    1. Chop chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl.
    2. Bring cream and butter to the boil in a small saucepan.
    3. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and mix quickly until all of the chocolate has melted.
    4. Pour some over the top of the cake and use a spatula to smooth out the top and sides.
    5. Garnish the cake with fresh strawberries (or anything else you like).

Slow cook Chicken Casserole & Rice
  • Not a slow cook but chicken casserole tonight. Crock pot.

4 thighs cut up into casserole size bits
    1 onion chopped
    1 leek chopped
    4 rashers bacon chopped
    1 large carrot sliced
    1 zucchini halved then sliced
    2 cups chicken stock

Sweat off onion, leek and bacon on high stove
    Add chicken and brown
    Add stock and 1/4 cup flour
    Add veggies
    Bring to boil
    Cover and put in oven at 180 for 1 hour
    Uncover, stir, and give it another half hour
    Serve on rice

Blueberry, Almond and Lemon Cake
  • I am a hopeless baker of cakes and in making pastries. However I have had success with the following recipe from Ottolenghi's Simple cookbook. I am gunna have another crack at it on Sunday.

Spicy Sausages & Rice
  • When Gordon Ramsay isn't being a complete arse for the camera's he's an amazing chef and his simple recipes are fantastic.

I cook this one all the time and can highly recommend. You absolutely need to make sure the sausage is either Continental or Italian though, for the flavour.

1) Yes it can be frozen. I split what I eat now vs what I'm going to (freeze - leave the tomatoes/spring onions/parsley out and add later when re-heated)

Ingredients to serve 4
    1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
    1 red onion, sliced
    1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped (but not too small)
    2 garlic cloves, very finely sliced
    5 spiced sausages, e.g. Italian/Continental
    1 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
    200g long-grain uncooked rice (1 cup)
    ½ glass dry white wine
    500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
    4 spring onions (scallions) trimmed and sliced
    2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
    small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped

Tips and Tricks:
    Deglaze the pan by pouring in the white wine and scraping any bits stuck to the bottom after you add the rice but before you add the stock
    After you add the stock, turn the temp down and let the stock simmer down
    Cook gently for 15–20 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid almost entirely absorbed.
    Keep an eye on it and stir from time to time. Remove from the heat, then fold in the spring onions, tomato and parsley and serve.

Last edited:
    Non Cook Orange Cake
  • This non-cook highly recommends this SBS recipe:
    2 oranges boiled for 2 hours, then (with skins) blitzed when cool
    6 eggs with 1 cup of caster sugar (I used pseudo sugar) whizzed, 2¼ cups of almond meal and 1 tsp of baking powder

Aussie Beef Pie
  • Chicken curry with Coriander pesto
  • Ticky009 what are you whipping up this week? Excite my taste buds for me while i enjoy a bland chicken breast with steamed broccoli
    Are you a thigh man? Got some chicken thighs sitting in the freezer I need to cook, so probably something like this http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/246...oriander+pesto?ref=collections,chicken-thighs

Recipe:

• 1 tbsp sunflower oil

• 1 onion, finely chopped

• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped

• 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste

• 800g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm cubes

• 2 tbsp coriander pesto, plus extra to serve (see note)

• 1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock

• 400ml coconut milk

• 4-6 small chat potatoes, quartered

• 1-2 tbsp fish sauce, to taste

• Juice of 1 lime, plus wedges to serve

• Coriander leaves, to serve
    • Step 1
      Heat oil

in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic and curry paste and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add chicken and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat in paste, then stir in pesto, stock and coconut milk. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until chicken is almost cooked. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes until tender. Add fish sauce and lime juice to taste.
    • Step 2
      Divide the curry among bowls, season, then scatter with coriander and serve with lime and extra coriander pesto if desired.

Last edited:
    Chicken & Chorizo Paella
  • Poor Jaime Oliver, getting caned by the Spaniards for using chorizo in a paella.
    Chicken and chorizo paella recipe | Jamie Oliver recipes
    And yeah, chorizo is strong, and yes it can overwhelm the other flavours but all you have to do it cook it first and only add it at the end, no biggie.

Ingredients​

• 2 cloves of garlic
    • 1 onion
    • 1 carrot
    • ½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley , (15g)
    • 70 g quality chorizo
    • 2 free-range chicken thighs , skin off, bone out
    • olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
    • 1 red pepper
    • 1 tablespoon tomato purée
    • 1 organic chicken stock cube
    • 300 g paella rice
    • 100 g frozen peas
    • 200 g frozen peeled cooked prawns , from sustainable sources
    • 1 lemon

Method​

1. Peel and finely slice the garlic, peel and roughly chop the onion and carrot. Finely chop the parsley stalks, then roughly chop the chorizo and chicken thighs.
    2. Put a lug of oil into a large lidded shallow casserole or paella pan on a medium heat, add the garlic, onion, carrot, parsley stalks, chorizo, chicken and paprika, and fry for around 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
    3. Deseed and chop the pepper, then add to the pan for a further 5 minutes.
    4. Stir through the tomato purée and crumble in the stock cube, then add the rice and stir for a couple of minutes so it starts to suck up all that lovely flavour.
    5. Pour in 750ml of boiling water and add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Pop the lid on and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, stirring regularly from the outside in and from the inside out, and adding a splash of water if needed.
    6. Stir in the peas and prawns, replace the lid, and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until hot through.
    7. Season to perfection, then chop the parsley leaves, scatter them over the paella, and serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.

Tips​

My advice here is simple – delicious as this dish is, if you’re feeling a bit flush, adding six mussels, six clams and any extra bits of fish you can afford is only going to make it even more of a celebration.

Last edited:
    Poached egg over Grilled asparagus
  • So simple and so delicious!
    Grilled Asparagus & Poached Egg on Toast | Egg Recipes | Jamie Oliver

Ingredients​

• 2 large slices of good sourdough bread
    • extra virgin olive oil
    • 12 spears of asparagus
    • ½ teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
    • 2 large free-range eggs
    • Parmesan cheese
    • 4 sprigs of fresh mint

Method​

1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
    2. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and toast the bread. Move each slice to a plate or board and drizzle with a little oil.
    3. Snap the woody end off the asparagus, then griddle for a few minutes on each side, sprinkle with the paprika and divide between the pieces of toast.
    4. While the asparagus is grilling, poach the eggs in the simmering water for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs and drain, then place them on top of the asparagus.
    5. Grate over the parmesan, then pick and sprinkle over the mint leaves.

Last edited:
    4 Recipes: 2 Mexican & 2 Italian

fennel, apple, walnut, mint salad
  • My own creation! I make it at least weekly.

Thinly sliced fennel bulb, thinly sliced apple, v thinly sliced red onion, sliced mint and walnuts.

Then I make a dressing of macadamia oil, orange juice, zest, Dijon, s&p, tiny bit of chilli but only if if I'm in the mood & possibly a tiny bit of sugar to balance it all. Verjuice or a good white vinegar would substitute for the orange but I like the sweetness.

And once you start using macadamia oil for dressings you'll struggle to use anything else unless it's for a really robust rocket type salad

Salmon noodle salad
  • I made a nice Salmon noodle salad last night just with what I had. The dressing in particular I feel like I freakin nailed.

Was (all sliced up) a few spring onions & put half the green section in & half the white section in, 2 cloves of garlic, a few chillis (I like it hot), a glug of soy & a bigger glug of sesame oil, a very small amount of mined ginger, not quite a teaspoon of brown sugar & juice of a lime. Mix it up & let it all sit to come together for a few hours.

Par cooked some noodles then chucked them in an ice bath ready to stiry fry later.

Pan 1 - Fried some delicious skin on salmon.

Pan 2 - Stiry fried the remaining white section of the spring onions, mushrooms, julienned carrots & zucchini batons. Adding the noodles & sauce at the end to heat through.

Served it all up with fried shallots, more chili & the remaining green spring onion section on top. Was delicious!!

Lasagna
  • By request

Lasagna

Brown mince with a diced onion

Then add chicken stock
    Oregano
    Basil
    Garlic
    Parsley
    Tomato paste
    Tin tomato diced
    Then fill that can and add water

Let it simmer

In another saucepan'

Butter melt
    Take off the saucepan
    Then add flour
    Put back on cook a bit make a paste
    Add milk til its a white sauce
    Add a spoonfull of jar cheese'
    Cup of grated cheese, keep stiring

Them assemble with lasanga sheets

No Bake Caramel Cheesecake
  • Nope just something nice
    Little Sis has recommended a no bake cheesecake. Baked cheesecakes 'you've got to get the timing right or your stuffed'.
    The basic recipe can be found here http://www.mouthsofmums.com.au/recipe/no-bake-caramel-cheesecake/

The undermentioned is inclusive of all her tips and tricks which I've highlighted in red:p:thumbsu:

* Use a springform cake tin if you can (highly recommended)

No Bake Caramel Cheesecake (serves 12)

Ingredients
    125g Plain biscuits crushed *use Arnotts butternut cookies
    60g unsalted butter
    3tsp Gelatine
    3table sp Hot Water
    1 can Nestle Caramel Top'N' Fill
    300mls Cream
    50g Dark chocolate
    250g Cream Cheese take out of fridge 30min before

Method:
    1. Combine biscuit crumbs and the butter, press into base of 23cm flan pan, refrigerate until firm. Lightly grease sides of springform tin and line with baking paper (Sides only)
    2. Using an electric beater; beat cream cheese until smooth. Add 3/4 of the Nestle Caramel Top N Fill, add cream, beat until smooth.
    3. Dissolve gelatine in hot water. Beat gelatine into cheesecake mixture.Steps 2 & 3 have been swapped around from original recipe. If you do the gelatin at #2 it can be difficult to mix into cheesecake mixture
    4. Spoon mixture evenly over crumb crust.
    5. Whisk remaining caramel to a smooth consistency and spoon over the cheesecake. use an electric beater and beat until caramel is light in colour
    6. Melt the chocolate and swirl over the cheesecake. When melting the chocolate you can use microwave 30 seconds first then stir. Then in 10 second bursts stirring between each until chocolate is smooth.
    7. Use a teaspoon to swirl chocolate over the cheesecake
    8. You can add some chopped pecans to garnish
    9. Refrigerate until set.
    Enjoy!!

Haloumi, Vegetables & Salad
  • _20170105_201317.JPG
    Oh yeah. Scraps, a few pickled things, vegies and herbs from my garden and haloumi expiring next week and I've rustled up a half decent dinner!

Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and pesto
  • Cooked up this one the other night. Recommend. Quick and easy and tastes great. Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and pesto
    Also, cooked in a pan. Did not use the string or toothpicks, don't think you need them if you don't overstuff the chicken breast.

250g baby grape tomatoes
    4 x 250g chicken breasts
    2 tablespoons basil pesto
    220g mozzarella, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
    100g baby rocket
    1 tablespoon lemon juice

Cook's notes​

Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. |

1. Slice 6 tomatoes. Halve remaining tomatoes and reserve for salad.

2. With a sharp knife, cut a slit in 1 side of each chicken breast fillet and open butterfly-style. Cover with plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin, pat chicken gently, without breaking flesh, until thin. Spread inside of chicken with pesto, then place mozzarella and sliced tomatoes on each half. Fold other half over to enclose filling and secure with toothpicks or kitchen string.

3. Preheat barbecue on medium. Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon of oil and season to taste. Cook chicken for 10 minutes, until lightly charred and cooked through. Meanwhile, toss baby rocket with halved tomatoes. Drizzle with remaining oil and lemon juice and season to taste.

4. Serve chicken with salad.

Last edited:
    Chicken & Mango Chutney
  • Potluck Salad

CHORIZO AND GARLIC PRAWN PASTA
  • Surely it is to veal?
    Decided. Will go the veal and make the pasta, prawns and chorizo at home.
    Chorizo And Garlic Prawn Pasta | Donna Hay

Cheats version: Buy 500g of Frozen garlic & herb prawns. You can add the prawns at the same step in the recipe just cook them for a minute or two longer.

INGREDIENTS​

• 400G WHOLE-GRAIN LINGUINE
    • 300G AIR-DRIED CHORIZO, CHOPPED
    • ¼ CUP (60ML) EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
    • 2 CLOVES GARLIC, THINLY SLICED
    • SEA SALT AND CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
    • 500G PEELED GREEN (RAW) PRAWNS (SHRIMP), HALVED LENGTHWAYS
    • MICRO (BABY) FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY LEAVES, TO SERVE

METHOD​

1. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 6–8 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup (125ml) of the cooking liquid.
    2. Place the chorizo in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
    3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the garlic, chorizo, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Add the prawn and cook for 4 minutes. Add the pasta, reserved cooking liquid and toss to combine. Serve with parsley. Serves 4.

Last edited:
    Orange juice, mustard seed &honey Glaze for beef chipolatas
  • Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back