Nov 7, 2009
Yarra Valley
AFL Club
Melbourne
This thread is purely for the discussion of the following

1. Player movements in and out of clubs
2. Recruitment Signings
3. Pre-season Training Reports
4. Rumours you heard from the following people- your dads, brothers cousins-best friend, The guy behind the bar in the pub or even from a mate who swore you wouldnt tell anyone....

What is not Permitted on this thread
1. Boring Discussions about twos playing taking spots on the field
2. Talk about Div 1 teams against Div 2 Teams

Let the fun begin - name the club and name the recruits.

Great Post Ari - I hope forum users stick to your request! I will ask a few Valley Boys at work today for some accurate gossip and get back to you!

Franklin2Judd;19692840[U said:
]Get Around The Yea Tigers![/U]
well tell us about them. we dont here much about the distant teams? are they recruiting well? good numbers on the track? is mckenna still coaching?

Woori - Bonuda and Ridd at Vermont, Risely at Casey, Allen at Box Hill, Spence, Monky, Gregson, Hymy retired - start training in Feb
Gembrook - ruckman from Gippsland recruited, Goodie playing again
Upwey close to signing a few guns from Div 1 EFL
Olinda - troutman at Sth croydon, Tregonning moved to NSW, few have returned
Mt Ev close to signing a few
Monbulk - not sure
Warby - Murphy and Ahmat done deal
Healesville - few younger players at Casey and Eastern but close to signing a few - heaps training
Wandin - signed 5 but have no names - any one know who from croydon/Box Hill?? - good nos at training
Yarra Glen - one retired, handy player from Chirnside , few players returning to club -close to signing a few - heaps training
Seville - kane Shore from Croydon - heaps training
Powelltown - ruckman from Chirnside - ex Croydon
Kinglake as mentioned new coach - is Gallichio still there?
Emerald - new coach plus several handy players - Porter back from lilydale
Thornton, alex, yea, Junction, belgrave no idea

Infact, given the names that look to be leaving Woori, Upwey gains to be offset by its major losses, and the eveness of the next 4-5 sides, it really puts the Brookers in the box seat for 2011 (which of course is a ripper statement in Nov 2010) I think they'll be the benchmark next year !

Infact, given the names that look to be leaving Woori, Upwey gains to be offset by its major losses, and the eveness of the next 4-5 sides, it really puts the Brookers in the box seat for 2011 (which of course is a ripper statement in Nov 2010) I think they'll be the benchmark next year !
Yup! Hard to argue the logic of that TS. But don't discount Upwey, Mt Ev, Woori or even Warby. The Burras were not far off the mark last year and with more luck....
Then, there is always Healesville lurking nearby.
Yarra Glen will be an interesting proposition. Wandin will improve and it will be a more even fight this year with Silvan gone.

Anyone dare to predict a final ladder for 2011 at this early stage?

Nice attempt at deflecting attention and weight of expectation from Olinda, Tees. :D Given how your mob went last year, especially given the development of your young blokes, I think we can expect even better things from the Mountain Bloods next year.

handy young player reece from coldstream training with seville. Picked up shore from croydon who was in and out of their 1sts, a ruckman from Kilsyth and also heard Farrugia is a chance to play. Seville has a good local base and quality U18s and reserves sides which should put us in a great position to have a crack in 2011. Look forward to watching from Tinny Hill!

Porter is a great pickup for Emerald. They were a reasonable young side last year i think they might be improvers by the sounds of it.

Bayliss has brought a few mates from Croydon to wandin and a couple other blokes from the EFL, handy players but no superstars. Bayliss won a 2s B&F at Box hill a few years back he will be one to watch.

MT Ev have picked up players from Coldstream.

Powelly always sound promising in the off season. Good club but lack of a quality local base usually hurts them.

If Junction and Kinglake hold on to the majority of their players like seville has the rest of 2nd div will have to do some major recruiting to be competitive with them in 2011. Outside of the top 4 there were no real challengers to the flag last season.

Anyone got mail on Kinglake, Yea, Thornton or Alex?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice attempt at deflecting attention and weight of expectation from Olinda, Tees. :D Given how your mob went last year, especially given the development of your young blokes, I think we can expect even better things from the Mountain Bloods next year.

Facing facts Macca. Your side is far more experienced than ours. I'm also hoping for more improvement in 2011. But on the back of a heap of 18 & 19 yo kids, its definately not a given. I genuinely expect that your boys "will" be the benchmark next year. Doesn't mean you'll win it, just means we'll be chasing your tail. I'd like to think that'll be us in 2-3 years, just in time for me to be too old and miss out lol

Woori - Bonuda and Ridd at Vermont, Risely at Casey, Allen at Box Hill, Spence, Monky, Gregson, Hymy retired - start training in Feb
Gembrook - ruckman from Gippsland recruited, Goodie playing again
Upwey close to signing a few guns from Div 1 EFL
Olinda - troutman at Sth croydon, Tregonning moved to NSW, few have returned
Mt Ev close to signing a few
Monbulk - not sure
Warby - Murphy and Ahmat done deal
Healesville - few younger players at Casey and Eastern but close to signing a few - heaps training
Wandin - signed 5 but have no names - any one know who from croydon/Box Hill?? - good nos at training
Yarra Glen - one retired, handy player from Chirnside , few players returning to club -close to signing a few - heaps training
Seville - kane Shore from Croydon - heaps training
Powelltown - ruckman from Chirnside - ex Croydon
Kinglake as mentioned new coach - is Gallichio still there?
Emerald - new coach plus several handy players - Porter back from lilydale
Thornton, alex, yea, Junction, belgrave no idea

heard a few boys from Pascoe Vale and Montmorency have been training up there? Apparently know a few boys up there. Handy picks ups if they sign.

Facing facts Macca. Your side is far more experienced than ours. I'm also hoping for more improvement in 2011. But on the back of a heap of 18 & 19 yo kids, its definately not a given. I genuinely expect that your boys "will" be the benchmark next year. Doesn't mean you'll win it, just means we'll be chasing your tail. I'd like to think that'll be us in 2-3 years, just in time for me to be too old and miss out lol

Not sure about us being the benchmark, although we certainly know that we can't fly under the radar any more and that we will be "the hunted" next year. Our expectations are that we can improve on last year, given that we've retained the list we had in 2010.

Add one or two carefully selected recruits and with natural improvement, coupled with the experience we gained last year, then we're a good chance to perform well again in 2011.

As for yourself Tim, surely you're a chance to go on for as long as Goodie did? Steve's at least 56, you must be only 10 years behind him? :D :D :D

Heard the same today Yg have signed a player from Pascoe Vale and Monny - both handy - also heard Woori may have Sam Keenan return but a few player sleaving if he does???
Tees what are the Upwey gains and losses?

Top 5 for next year: Gembrook, Upwey, Olinda, Mt Ev, Woori/Warby. Think the tigers might struggle given retirements and player movements etc. and am expecting the burras to have a good year which will be a welcome change for the club as have struggled for the last 5 years at least. Healesville to disappoint again, Monbulk to miss finals two years in a row. Wandins big spending to yield little success.

Top 5 for next year: Gembrook, Upwey, Olinda, Mt Ev, Woori/Warby. Think the tigers might struggle given retirements and player movements etc. and am expecting the burras to have a good year which will be a welcome change for the club as have struggled for the last 5 years at least. Healesville to disappoint again, Monbulk to miss finals two years in a row. Wandins big spending to yield little success.
Getting off woori fairly quick,dont forget woori lost 6 players from the previous years grand final side and won it this year.Well coached side and a club well financed,not sure about the big players movement,bounuda and monkey are out Robby Allen is training with Box Hill and mike risely is back at casey as he was last year both will play with woori when available. Rumours of other players are just that,Tim and Dan williamson are back from traveling and wii play

woori does seem to get written off before the season, and they normally seem to come up with the goods (or nearly at least). think this year will be a bit harder because of the eveness of the comp. time will tell i suppose.

Top 5 in alpha order - Gembrook, Mt Ev, Olinda, Upwey, Yarra Glen
Bottom 5 in alpha order - Healesville, Monbulk, Wandin, Warby, Woori,

Top 5 in alpha order - Gembrook, Mt Ev, Olinda, Upwey, Yarra Glen
Bottom 5 in alpha order - Healesville, Monbulk, Wandin, Warby, Woori,

Very interesting Ozzie. You have put Yarra Glen in front of Monbulk? Quick question how do you think Monbulk would have gone in Division 2 last year? Perhaps Yarra Glen's form can be a bit misleading as they were playing Division 2. Afterall Warby went undefeated a few years back and have not looked like making Div 1 finals.

Very interesting Ozzie. You have put Yarra Glen in front of Monbulk? Quick question how do you think Monbulk would have gone in Division 2 last year? Perhaps Yarra Glen's form can be a bit misleading as they were playing Division 2. Afterall Warby went undefeated a few years back and have not looked like making Div 1 finals.

Monbulk would of beaten Yarra Glen last season. In fact Monbulk would have won the 2nd Div flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruitment and Preseason 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back